Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

but do you currently need planning permission to add stories under your home?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Guavanaut posted:

Extra walls for landlords. :hmmyes:

For the love of God, Guavanaut!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AceClown posted:

Yeah, probably. This is an old country, so just about everything is built on something else.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Some smart targeted advertising going on here.

Links to https://4il.org.il/1396/

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 30, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/SteveDoherty1/status/1177991779007832066?s=19

Hope it stays empty.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
My partner and I keep floating the idea of adding a first story extension to add an extra bedroom to our house rather than moving house when we need the extra space in the future (purely theoretical at the moment!). I would personally rather have to go through planning permission than be able to add the extension without needing it, especially with the amount of student housing around where we live and the associated landlords.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Labour conference had a security barricade around the Brighton Centre too, although at least they weren't crass enough to have a 'designated protest area'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AceClown posted:

Traditionally no, you can go down to the depths of Hell within your freehold (ad inferos).

More recently this has been amended to state that any 'major works' require prior approval, but not planning permission. So you'd have to tell the council, water board, gas board, etc. if you were bringing in earth movers to excavate, but you don't have to go through the planning process.

However on top of this the High Court (E&W) has recently stepped in to say that the Common Law right to dig down to Hell realistically meant digging a basement or root cellar, not the Kola borehole, and so they have ruled that the no planning permission rule only applies to a single storey, you can't have infinite subbasements.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

One of my volunteers at work tried to make me some marmite on toast

https://imgur.com/EVMWBAT

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I suppose you could also read this as the High Court ruling that Hell begins 15'-20' down, which explains the Northern Line.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Flipswitch posted:

Death be upon him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1178615568762626048?s=19
https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1178347986033745920?s=19

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol apparently the government just hasnt been mailing out visas even if your application is successful

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Flipswitch posted:

What the gently caress

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's basically like our Parliament is a microcosm of the country, unable to decisively pick what they want to happen.

There has to be another referendum with only 2 questions on the ballet - leave at any cost vs remain

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Flipswitch posted:

Why is Original Prankster playing in my head?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Esther Mcvey absolutely forcing applause, stopping the conversation and shouting at the audience.

Now 2 'scousers, Mcvey and Berry, and he just said Liverpool are champions of Europe, and awkward silence followed.

Then talked about how good Boris is doing for the north by doing 2 whole speeches up here

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Flipswitch posted:

I don't see the problem :confused:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Flayer posted:

There has to be another referendum with only 2 questions on the ballet - leave at any cost vs remain

No, because then people might actually vote for no deal.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

I can't really blame them, I probably would have done the same thing up until a few years ago. When someone asks you to take a poo poo on their toast, it doesn't really occur to those unaccustomed to scatology that there's only supposed to be only a light smearing of faecal matter

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Do two back to back referendums (on same paper if you like).

1) Leave or remain
2) Leave with whatever deal is negotiated vs leave without a deal

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

Traditionally no, you can go down to the depths of Hell within your freehold (ad inferos).

More recently this has been amended to state that any 'major works' require prior approval, but not planning permission. So you'd have to tell the council, water board, gas board, etc. if you were bringing in earth movers to excavate, but you don't have to go through the planning process.

However on top of this the High Court (E&W) has recently stepped in to say that the Common Law right to dig down to Hell realistically meant digging a basement or root cellar, not the Kola borehole, and so they have ruled that the no planning permission rule only applies to a single storey, you can't have infinite subbasements.

Sweet, I can still get my man-cavern excavated

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Flipswitch posted:

Just put a dollop of butter in the middle of each, 30 secs in the microwave, you've fixed it, job done

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Purple Prince posted:

Do two back to back referendums (on same paper if you like).

1) Leave or remain
2) Leave with whatever deal is negotiated vs leave without a deal

I think we should have a referendum on whether to do this or not first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are the common law restrictions on accessing the other outer planes? Can I dig through the firmanent straight to the elemental plane of fire, for example? Or do I need to get planning permission?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

No, because then people might actually vote for no deal.

Going to vote no deal to kill posters I don't like

not really I don't dislike anyone itt

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jose posted:

not really I don't dislike anyone itt

🙋

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I'm still a bit pissed off with Labour's Brexit policy convulsions as the 'correct' position seems obvious to me (Support Norway with confirmatory referendum) but Labour keeps shooting around that target and if they'd had that policy before the Euro elections - and had put any effort into those euro elections - we'd probably not have to deal with the Lib Dems at all, instead they're going to split the vote and...ugh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What are the common law restrictions on accessing the other outer planes? Can I dig through the firmanent straight to the elemental plane of fire, for example? Or do I need to get planning permission?
Modrons don't recognize the English Courts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You're a Weasley brother life is bad enough for you already

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Norway with confirmatory referendum is literally labour's brexit position.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

No it's not. It was (more or less) briefly, after the euro elections and before the latest conference decision, but now its 'Negotiate (more or less) Norway. Refuse to say what you actually want through the coming election. Have a conference to decide after the election, then referendum.'

It's that 'refuse to say what you actually want' through an election that will be the killer. It's a pastiche of what FBPE says Labour's policy has been.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediadave posted:

No it's not. It was (more or less) briefly, after the euro elections and before the latest conference decision, but now its 'Negotiate (more or less) Norway. Refuse to say what you actually want. have a conference to decide, then referendum.'

It's that 'refuse to say what you actually want' through an election that will be the killer. It's a pastiche of what FBPE says Labour's policy has been.

No, it's negotiate something akin to norway, call a referendum between that and remain, and let people decide, because that's what a referendum is. And that's not remotely "not saying what you want" because what they want is for people to decide.

A referendum where the invigilators of the referendum have one outcome they want to happen is a farce.

What do you want a referendum for if you're not prepared to entertain an outcome you don't want?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Well it's Norway + a customs union - EFTA membership + bespoke Switzerland shaped regulatory deals

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Archaeology Hat posted:

I don't think they've thought through very much. One of the longest running bits of drama from the village I lived in as a kid was when a guy called Phil built a bunch of admittedly groverhaus-like dumb and ugly shacks on his land and a load of homeowners went went completely crazy over it. I can't see this being all that popular with the 'maintain the character of our community' types.

yeah don't house owners generally really, really dislike neighbors ruining their view and stuff? being a violation of their property rights etc.

i'm not a house guy but i wouldn't expect every house foundation/walls to be able to handle another couple stories on top of them.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They can't negotiate a deal in good faith if they've already committed to opposing any deal. And they can't commit to supporting a deal until they've negotiated it and know what it is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A referendum where the invigilators of the referendum have one outcome they want to happen is a farce.

What do you want a referendum for if you're not prepared to entertain an outcome you don't want?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What? It's pretty standard for the Government to have a preferred position and recommend that. Indeed, it's what will eventually (too late) happen. If Labour does get into the position to have a referendum it will ultimately support and recommend one of the outcomes.

Obviously you then have to carry out the decision.

But It's stupid to be in the position basically of arguing:

We had a referendum.
Leave won.
We accept that referendum.
We support a new referendum.
We have no opinion on the outcome of that referendum at the moment.
But we will in the future, but after the coming election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

They can't negotiate a deal in good faith if they've already committed to opposing any deal. And they can't commit to supporting a deal until they've negotiated it and know what it is

I mean, I think the obvious and defendable position would be to support a Norway-like deal with confirmatory referendum.