Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

Just remembering a happier time

How close we were to a better world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

"He can keep his 25 quid" - is he talking about himself? Or does Cameron have 25 quid for some undefined purpose that would be spent somehow if Mark bought his book?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

what. that's not how shops work

Wait, which shops work like this?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

"I'm going to keep my 25 quid," doesn't pack the same verbose punch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Extra walls for landlords. :hmmyes:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
iirc i thought labour said individual MPs and candidates can endorse sides if they want

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mark Francois is the gift that keeps on giving.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

'He can keep the 25 quid that he would've reimbursed me with if I had bought it'?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree with him, there's no way that someone with the mediocrity of, say, Philip Davies would have been chosen as an MP if he was a black woman.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Even putting aside his poor phrasing, its so funny to think that not only did David Cameron deem Mark Francois so unimportant that he didn't even mention him once in his book, but Francois was extremely upset about this and thought it would be worth using in public as an attack on Cameron.

Hes an embarrassment of a human being, hes a perfect representative for middle England Brexiters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1178664532673257472

Also I've shut the parliamentary feed down because it's just the Tories saying poo poo about how "speculation? what speculation. The Labour Party are the cunts"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1178664532673257472

Also I've shut the parliamentary feed down because it's just the Tories saying poo poo about how "speculation? what speculation. The Labour Party are the cunts"

Kind of gratifying to see Swinson getting with the programme for once.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Szmitten posted:

Is there no Parliamentry fun to be had while the conference is happening? I thought they'd try something.

read this as 'paramilitary fun'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gasmask posted:

read this as 'paramilitary fun'
Provos running around with supersoakers full of border fluid.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of gratifying to see Swinson getting with the programme for once.

It was the SNP who where the potential loose cannon this time.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

However on top of this the High Court (E&W) has recently stepped in to say that the Common Law right to dig down to Hell realistically meant digging a basement or root cellar, not the Kola borehole, and so they have ruled that the no planning permission rule only applies to a single storey, you can't have infinite subbasements.

Hmm, I wonder how this works with geothermal heating. An acquaintance of mine back in Finland had this thing installed recently, seems like quite a clever technology. Basically, drill a deep hole, 50-100 metres or something iirc, but quite small; put some kind of metal pipe or something in there; the earth's crust being warm will heat the pipe and transfer the heat up. Then you use that for warmth. You know, instead of burning loving gas or some poo poo like it's still the 17th century. The geothermal thing costs nothing, doesn't need much maintenance, doesn't require infrastructure, doesn't pollute, doesn't loving explode randomly like loving gas. Did I mention I hate gas? gently caress gas.

Probably moot in London though due all the poo poo already underground, and because nobody even knows what the gently caress is where since there isn't any planning. Also maybe the soil in the UK is not as shallow as it is in Finland

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jaete posted:

Probably moot in London though due all the poo poo already underground, and because nobody even knows what the gently caress is where since there isn't any planning. Also maybe the soil in the UK is not as shallow as it is in Finland

I can just see someone boring a hole into the underground and connecting it to the mains water.....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Hmm, I wonder how this works with geothermal heating. An acquaintance of mine back in Finland had this thing installed recently, seems like quite a clever technology. Basically, drill a deep hole, 50-100 metres or something iirc, but quite small; put some kind of metal pipe or something in there; the earth's crust being warm will heat the pipe and transfer the heat up. Then you use that for warmth. You know, instead of burning loving gas or some poo poo like it's still the 17th century. The geothermal thing costs nothing, doesn't need much maintenance, doesn't require infrastructure, doesn't pollute, doesn't loving explode randomly like loving gas. Did I mention I hate gas? gently caress gas.

If you're on a farm you can drill a borehole as deep as you want for water, no planning. So I'm sure you could do the same with a ground source heat pump borehole.

If you're in a city or suburb you probably wouldn't need planning no matter how deep you go for a simple bore, but you would need to notify the relevant departments of the major work, because ground source heat pumps can explode like gas if you put the borehole auger through the gas main.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

jaete posted:

the very shallow geothermal stuff is not so much general-purpose heating as it is equilibrating. it brings your house to the same temperature as the ground, which is about the same as the mean air temperature over the year, which is ~10C in these parts. that's a lot more useful in places with very cold winters (like finland) than it is in the uk. you still need another source of heating to go from 10C to the 20Cish that most people are comfortable at

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 30, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ground source heat pumps cost a lot for that initial bore. between that and all the planning permission it isn't that financially viable. i've heard figures north of £30k

compare that one-off cost per-house to the current 2025 plan of maybe switching the gas network to hydrogen depending on how the boilers handle different fuel ratios, then to a pure hydrogen network later on with incentives

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

the very shallow geothermal stuff is not so much general-purpose heating as it is equilibrating. it brings your house to the same temperature as the ground, which is about the same as the mean air temperature over the year, which is ~10C in these parts. that's a lot more useful in places with very cold winters (like finland) than it is in the uk. you still need another source of heating to go from 10C to the 20Cish that most people are comfortable at
With ground source heat pumps you also have an electric heatpump doing work. So you use 10C water instead of -20C air as the heat source', the heat pump pulls heat from that and dumps near-freezing water back into the ground loop, producing 20-30C air.

You can also use it as an air conditioner in the summer with less energy use than an air cooled one, because you're cooling the hot side of the air conditioner with 10C water rather than 30C air.

e: ^ Ground source in the UK would be best for district heating. Biomethane and methane from plastic pyrolysis might work better for boilers, you don't need to change the jets or get any of the issues of hydrogen embrittlement.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1178581079453814784

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hold my temporarily embarrassed millionaires!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1178589278311522304

Conservatives are so loving normal

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Isn't there someone who points this out every year, who gets totally ignored?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:barf:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lol 'Living' wage to £10.50.

(In five years)

(not for young people)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

"I'd rather be sexually assaulted than stay in the EU" is a hell of a loving take

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

:barf:

E:f,b

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

With ground source heat pumps you also have an electric heatpump doing work. So you use 10C water instead of -20C air as the heat source', the heat pump pulls heat from that and dumps near-freezing water back into the ground loop, producing 20-30C air.

You can also use it as an air conditioner in the summer with less energy use than an air cooled one, because you're cooling the hot side of the air conditioner with 10C water rather than 30C air.

e: ^ Ground source in the UK would be best for district heating. Biomethane and methane from plastic pyrolysis might work better for boilers, you don't need to change the jets or get any of the issues of hydrogen embrittlement.
yeah there's been a lot of district heating trials at LAs in scotland, they put up a list of issues they've came across a few weeks back. should be on scot gov ~sep 20th iirc? lot of manpower issues at the planning end due to the nature of the experiments

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I tweeted, she's clearly never showered because she's still alive and not just a puddle besides some magic shoes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

"I'd rather be sexually assaulted than stay in the EU" is a hell of a loving take

"we are comfort women and the EU is Japan"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

What the heck :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Serial Attention Seeker Seeks Attention, Gets

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

jfc Hopkins is so loving boring. She's not real, she's a jump scare: half the population giggle and clap, the other half poo poo their pants.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why is Boris Johnson touching you so wonderful? The man is a lecherous creep who would likely grope anyone who asked.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

wait, is that from this years conference or some older picture?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

coffeetable posted:

Hmm, I don't think the borehole was for just equilibrium. Could be wrong though. Also 50-100 metres doesn't sound like "very shallow" to me? I guess there are different "grades" of geothermal things?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ground source heat pumps cost a lot for that initial bore. between that and all the planning permission it isn't that financially viable. i've heard figures north of £30k

compare that one-off cost per-house to the current 2025 plan of maybe switching the gas network to hydrogen depending on how the boilers handle different fuel ratios, then to a pure hydrogen network later on with incentives

For the thing I'm talking about, the price was around 15 k€ iirc. This was for a detached house, in a suburb, not quite a farm but very far from like central anything.

Also, Jesus, hydrogen in place of gas sounds like even more of a loving disaster than gas already is. Is that an actual serious plan? What the gently caress

I don't really know anything about heating engineering, but the most common thing by far back in Finland is something called district heating. It's a bit of a mystery to me why everything everywhere (well, in the cities at least) isn't just that. I mean, instead of flammable gas flowing around in flimsy poo poo pipes, you just... don't have that? :confused: Instead, you just, like, flush water around a bit? What am I missing here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

wait, is that from this years conference or some older picture?

probably older, going by the haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flayer posted:

Why is Boris Johnson touching you so wonderful? The man is a lecherous creep who would likely grope anyone who asked.

Or if not asked.