Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Look person, I just asked a question.

I was unaware of people that went through the whistleblower program under Obama, and I asked for some names so that I could read up on them. You seem to be having an argument with nobody, so I don't know what your issue is. Take a deep breath.

do you have issue with that, or no.

i am genuinely curious, at this point. you may gather I am even somewhat heated on the subject. that subject, again, being the decision that naming a torturer was a worse crime than inflicting vast amounts of suffering on helpless people for very literally zero reason beyond their torturer's pleasure.

given the current state of things with Trump, it would be nice to hear someone, anyone, has learned anything, about the price we pay when Democrats decide "nah the last administration's crimes aren't worth our time to address, just shut up and pretend it never happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

I think that in the event there are serious enough charges that the public supports removal, Mitch has no good choices left. All his choices are bad ones and his only option is to find the least-worst one. Holding a vote, and saying he's required to do so, is helpful to him personally by making whatever result be Not His Fault. It may also be the best political move because he may, for example, seek to hold a snap vote and just rip the bandaid off, compared to a months-long process of demanding he hold a vote that keeps it in the news. Finally, holding a vote may let everyone make whatever choice is best for their own state, while avoiding the party lashing itself too strongly to Trump's crimes in a way that will damage it long-term.

I can't claim I have a strong, correct opinion on what his least-bad option would be, but his choice of words - that he is required to hold a trial - makes me think he's decided what his least-worst option is. He could easily have punted on the question and he decided instead to commit himself to that position.

I doubt that Mitch gives any more of a gently caress about Trump individually than he does about anyone else in this country. The first second it becomes politically advantageous to stab him in the back I'm sure he will. Frankly he'd probably end up in a similar position to pelosi where he waits until the dam is about to break and then just makes some decision that allows senate Rs to cut losses while still claiming they supported Trump until he just committed too many crimes

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

But I don’t understand. How could he have been committing crimes when Biden was using up all the crime juice committing crimes in Ukraine?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Super-Id posted:

But I don’t understand. How could he have been committing crimes when Biden was using up all the crime juice committing crimes in Ukraine?
Crime juice is a renewable resource.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I know that media in history has often been very partisan, but this Rupert Murdoch poo poo is really destroying the loving world.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I doubt that Mitch gives any more of a gently caress about Trump individually than he does about anyone else in this country. The first second it becomes politically advantageous to stab him in the back I'm sure he will. Frankly he'd probably end up in a similar position to pelosi where he waits until the dam is about to break and then just makes some decision that allows senate Rs to cut losses while still claiming they supported Trump until he just committed too many crimes

I don't doubt that's the case, I just can't imagine what that dam looks like for Moscow Mitch.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If there were enough of them, yes. But they'd have to organize and form a leadership structure. There would be different visions and goals and the group would fracture into smaller sub-groups. The only way it would be successful is if it had some sort of unified force holding it together like the Confederacy had.

Yeah it will not be an organized uprising, but rather a bunch of small groups doing very dangerous things.

I worry about some of the things we have heard about regarding secret Facebook groups full of active and former Border Patrol, or other positions of power like police, ICE, etc. That and chuds shooting up festivals, Wal-Marts, churches, etc.

It doesn’t take very many people to organize into something dangerous. You really only need a few people.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

If this comes off as dickish, I apologize, but in what scenario do you see a former President of the United States in a corrections facility?

I was just curious what your primary driving factor was in the assumption that he would never see corrections.

Articles of Impeachment brought > Removed from office > Convicted of state crimes in NY

That assumes he hasn't done something worse that no one knows about yet.

fake edit: I feel compelled to point out this is not a statement of probability. If the above played out I would expect him to be put in a corrections facility.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't doubt that's the case, I just can't imagine what that dam looks like for Moscow Mitch.

yeah, i can 100% believe mitch would stab trump in the back if he thought he could get away with it and it would be politically advantageous, i just can't see a scenario mitch winds up thinking betraying trump is the politically expedient thing to do

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Crime juice is a renewable resource.

Crime juice is stored in the orbs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If this comes off as dickish, I apologize, but in what scenario do you see a former President of the United States in a corrections facility?

i mean he wouldn't be in general population, that's for sure, but when NY gets its hands on trump they're not gonna give him house arrest out of respect

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1178679987769167872

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1178693087775903745

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I know that media in history has often been very partisan, but this Rupert Murdoch poo poo is really destroying the loving world.

honestly the biggest thing Murdoch's done is consolidate it. back in the bad old days there were enough littler outfits doing this routine that it all kind of evened itself out; see Thomas Jefferson Will Literally Cause Satan To Rise From Hell To Reign Over The Lost Souls Of The Earth vs. John Adams Is A Hermaphrodite In Thrall To The British Crown.

but when one guy is issuing the marching orders for what used to be thousands of independent assholes reaching for the craziest poo poo they can think of it multiplies the reach enormously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

I'll never stop being amused by the right's Rambo fantasies and 2A fetishizement (if that's a word). Like Bubba and his buddies are going to hunker down and fend off the most powerful military the world has ever seen with just their AR-15s or whatever the gently caress.

Tbf, probably all of those pro civil war memes were made somewhere East of Kiev

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

Why the everlasting flying gently caress would I want Nixon's Staff Pt. Two Three Four Five heading the future Crenshaw Administration?!

Because that's what you're stealth-asking when you suggest he go scot-free - since if he gets away with it, so too do all his toadying supporters. We gotta prosecute these motherfuckers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

evilweasel posted:

yeah, i can 100% believe mitch would stab trump in the back if he thought he could get away with it and it would be politically advantageous, i just can't see a scenario mitch winds up thinking betraying trump is the politically expedient thing to do

Trump throwing him under the bus somehow? I don’t know what that point would be, but if Trump focused on him specifically I would think he would want it over and done.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slowpoke! posted:

I worry about some of the things we have heard about regarding secret Facebook groups full of active and former Border Patrol, or other positions of power like police, ICE, etc.
Those are just the new PoliceOne forums since having an account on PoliceOne is disqualifying for basically any LEO position above dog catcher now.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

do you have issue with that, or no.

i am genuinely curious, at this point. you may gather I am even somewhat heated on the subject. that subject, again, being the decision that naming a torturer was a worse crime than inflicting vast amounts of suffering on helpless people for very literally zero reason beyond their torturer's pleasure.

given the current state of things with Trump, it would be nice to hear someone, anyone, has learned anything, about the price we pay when Democrats decide "nah the last administration's crimes aren't worth our time to address, just shut up and pretend it never happened."

why would I have to defend whatever it is that you're accusing or whoever the gently caress you're accusing?

You don't even have a point. You're trying to manufacture a point to argue against. Go outside. Nobody's arguing with you. You're just randomly lashing out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bobjr posted:

Trump throwing him under the bus somehow? I don’t know what that point would be, but if Trump focused on him specifically I would think he would want it over and done.

mitch wouldn't care, part of his job is to be the lightning rod for unpopular stuff to shield his more vulnerable senators

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1178732470193315841?s=19

Lol

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

my bony fealty posted:

see: Finicum, Lavoy

the dumbfuck literally told police to shoot him, tried to pull a weapon, and then was shot - a pattern that would likely reoccur for all of these old white fucks

Yeah, we already saw this pan out a few years back and it was exactly the kind of clown show you can imagine. From dildos , property destruction and a 50 gallon drum of personal lube to the last holdout surrendering to the promise of a cookie.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

why would I have to defend whatever it is that you're accusing or whoever the gently caress you're accusing?

You don't even have a point. You're trying to manufacture a point to argue against. Go outside. Nobody's arguing with you. You're just randomly lashing out.

i'm not asking you to defend anything, friend.

i am asking if you take issue with the Obama administration's decision to prosecute a man for leaking the name of a torturer. and in so doing, establishing that leaking the name of a torturer is more worthy of punishment than half a decade's worth of cruelty for the sake of cruelty.

i find it very easy to say yes. do you.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine there is somebody whose job is to coordinate Trump's doctors appointments and make sure he takes his meds and make sure he eats. Once he leaves office and nobody is babysitting he'll stroke out within a month.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Flesh Forge posted:

At the end of his bankruptcies he had lost so much of his personal money his creditors put him on an allowance. The only reason they didn't completely clean him out was they decided he was worth more financially alive than dead.
The first time. After that he learned to not put any of his personal money in, his "trump brand" he started claiming was worth thousands of dollars therefore all he was putting in was his name and image and others were "matching" that "contribution". Every bankruptcy after the first one was a strategic move that benefited him greatly.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1178731098760761344

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1178689171415863298

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1178723367823773698

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1178112659104899072

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Is it a 'witch hunt' when you're actually casting spells and turning people into newts? I mean really?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

evilweasel posted:

After thinking about it, l think the only reasonable thing that could bring it about would be 1. Trump directly calling on the assassination of Schiff or attacks on Democrats or 2. the Putin tapes being half as bad as the rumors have said.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1178730887560740864?s=20

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ewiley posted:

Is it a 'witch hunt' when you're actually casting spells and turning people into newts? I mean really?

Did anyone turned into a newt get better?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ewiley posted:

I do not want to see the duck that weighs the same as Donald Trump.

EDIT: It's Baby Huey, isn't it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

i'm not asking you to defend anything, friend.

i am asking if you take issue with the Obama administration's decision to prosecute a man for leaking the name of a torturer. and in so doing, establishing that leaking the name of a torturer is more worthy of punishment than half a decade's worth of cruelty for the sake of cruelty.

i find it very easy to say yes. do you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Probably the minute that average republicans start getting meaningfully discouraged and dem inquiries pick up steam. The racist, trumpist wing of the GOP is obviously a vital part of their coalition (for lack of a better word) but are not enough to win elections without centrist R support as well. If enthusiasm among both the far right and the center goes down, they really aren't winning enough to sustain their current numbers. The gamble previously was that increased enthusiasm from the far right was effectively offsetting all the people turned off by Trump's ridiculous and offensive bullshit.

Besides, most of those racist af types could be sold on some other racist dipshit with less baggage.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

If Trump actually tries to arrest Schiff for whatever idiotic reason as part of his "counterpunch" strategy. Not super likely but if he feels his advisors' ideas about not going full totalitarian aren't solving the problem, he's more likely to do things his way.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just had a thought that the whistleblower form change conspiracy requires one to believe that a large bureaucracy could make changes to an official form in the span of weeks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?
Anyone who would take take it in the name of healing the nation and hastening the return to normalcy needs to read about Reconstruction or consider the effect Nixon loyalists had, and continue to have, decades after Watergate. gently caress that noise. If you're going to go for a general amnesty, it has to be in the form of something like a truth and reconciliation commission, where even if you're not seeking remedy for every individual outrage against the public good you are at least demanding their public admission.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"Witch Hunt" seems to mean when someone is looking for a crime. I was the victim of a speed witch hunt. They even had their speed guns out to check my speed like they already suspected I was speeding! What a Witch Hunt!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

worthless.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1178114359144386560

if cuellar was an equivalent republican he would've been primaried ages ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

i am unsure. my guess is similar to pelosi where if too many senators bail, than he can't do poo poo. i feel like the most hopeful case is another johnson type deal where he gets not convicted by 1 or so votes. also part of me thinks mitch will lose in 2020 either way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

What whistleblowers that went through the system under Obama do you have issue with?

you asked a question, friend. it got answered.

to turn it back around on you, did you not have issue with Obama's decision that doing those grotesque things, which where a matter of record, because the people involved very much enjoyed their work, was less worthy of punishment than sharing the name of someone doing it?

because i have an issue with it. do you.

in the future, avoid asking questions that you do not want people to answer. it will save you distress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, Mar-a-Lago needs to be turned into the single best refuge center in the country.

It's in the wrong place but making mar a lago the Ellis island of south and central America would be the best fit imo.