Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I had to start skipping like five minutes out of each Ballin Out Super episode. Maybe it gets better later on when they're, hopefully, having repeat guests, but early on when they have a new guest each episode they have literally the exact same conversation with each guest every time. "What's your experience with Dragon Ball? oh no way you also watched it in middle school?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Atrocious Joe posted:

I kept thinking of how Buckley literally threatened to assault Gore Vidal on live television.

I think I remember Buckley did a similar thing to Noam Chompsky, but less obviously a physical threat, during his vietnam debate

e: nvm I never realized he was referencing his vidal debate

breadshaped has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Sep 30, 2019

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I had to start skipping like five minutes out of each Ballin Out Super episode. Maybe it gets better later on when they're, hopefully, having repeat guests, but early on when they have a new guest each episode they have literally the exact same conversation with each guest every time. "What's your experience with Dragon Ball? oh no way you also watched it in middle school?"

I never listen to BOS but I'm pretty sure Matt was on there a while back and he had no background on Dragon Ball and he couldn't remember what he was into in middle school. This led to his revelation that he wasn't into anime because he was a super civil war weeb instead

It's not really what this thread is about but I checked out the Intercept's true crime podcast Murderville, GA because I realized that it takes place a county away from where I grew up. Given what south Georgia is I have to know at least a few people who were related to this whole thing somehow and it's kinda weirding me out that I had no idea it happened. I'm guessing that's because I was in high school at the time but still.

also it's pronounced AyDel not uh-Del :doom:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Bedshaped posted:

I think I remember Buckley did a similar thing to Noam Chompsky, but less obviously a physical threat, during his vietnam debate

e: nvm I never realized he was referencing his vidal debate

He did threaten to beat up Chomsky when the dude was on his show though. IIRC it was right at the beginning of their "debate" and can be found on YouTube.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What would have happened if Buckley had fought anyone? Wouldn't his boneless body just deform on contact?

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

What's a good and funny podcast to listen to that is similar to chapo? I have a 30-40 drive to and from work each day and there aren't enough episodes of Chapo and Citations Needed each week to occupy all this time. Struggle Session is alright but not as funny as chapo. I've considered old episodes of chapo, but a "commentary on recent events" show like that doesn't work as well when you're listening to people discuss the latest news and tweets and poo poo from 18 months ago or whatever.

One of the stranger experiences I've had was when I went to college in NYC and people constantly commented on my "southern accent." I was not aware of even having a southern accent (I grew up in Memphis TN), and I think I lost it at some point during college because no one (including new people) commented on it after freshman year. I remember being extremely surprised to learn that "cuss" is apparently not a universal word (and somehow I did not realize it was slang for "curse"). I remember this girl thinking it was the funniest thing ever when I said "cuss."

Trashfuture is very funny and possibly even more ironic and extremely online than Chapo. Michael and Us is a podcast that reviews political movies from the late 90s-early 2000s, also very good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

After dessert had been set aside and Ben had gone to clean up, Buckley gathered himself up from his seat and peered down at us. “I generally take a swim after eating,” he said. “You’re all welcome to swim as well, of course.”

Now that he mentioned it, a swim seemed just the thing. (I imagine practically anything would have sounded like just the thing at that point in the evening.) But then I considered the matter more deeply and heaved a deep and regretful sigh.

“I’d swim, sir,” I said. “I would swim, I really would like to. But I’m afraid I didn’t bring a bathing suit.”

It had taken me so long to reach this conclusion that Buckley had already begun to climb the ladder, and now he regarded me with unconcealed amusement. “Well, neither did I. After all, it’s quite dark out there. And we’re all men here, you know.”

When he was gone, Jaime [a fellow NR intern] and I sat for a moment in silence, the dinner settling in our stomachs and the wine rising to our eyes.

“You aren’t actually going to go swimming, are you?” he asked me.

“Aren’t you?” I demanded.

“Well . . .”

“Well what?”

“I don’t really like to swim very much in general.”

“Well, Jaime,” I said grandly, “neither do I, honestly. But you know, I think there comes a time in a man’s life when he has a chance to say to his grandchildren, I once went skinny-dipping with William F. Buckley, Jr. And this, Jaime, this is that chance.”

Somehow that settled it. We downed the dregs of our wine and went topside, where Buckley was just leaping from the bow, a flash of plummeting white flesh in the darkness. Jaime and I undressed quickly, then shouted and leaped in after him. In midflight, I saw Buckley already climbing the ladder, reaching for his towel—and then, as the cold water shocked me sober, I remembered how poor a swimmer I really was.

“I’m drowning, Douthat!” someone shouted nearby, as I surfaced, spitting salt and floundering. It sounded vaguely like Jaime, but I had troubles of my own.

“Swim for the ladder,” I managed to shout, pawing jellyfish aside, dog-paddling frantically, wondering if sharks frequented Oyster Bay. “For the ladder, Jaime!”

Afterward, Buckley went below to his berth, apparently to retire for the night, and Jaime and I sat on the boat’s bow with Ben, watching the lights on shore dim and the stars brighten.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ytlaya posted:

What's a good and funny podcast to listen to that is similar to chapo?

(I grew up in Memphis TN)

trillbillies

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Trillbillies are the GOATs

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

literally the funniest podcast out there, i will never fail to rep them. don't watch the show, don't give a poo poo about the show

repped them and I really should catch up

they are friends having a good time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Shakenbaker posted:

I never listen to BOS but I'm pretty sure Matt was on there a while back and he had no background on Dragon Ball and he couldn't remember what he was into in middle school. This led to his revelation that he wasn't into anime because he was a super civil war weeb instead
I like the conversations with the guests, it's neat to hear their stories

Matt's ep was best because he immediately does Antifada and has a breakdown because of the lovely anime podcast

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I hard identify with childhood Civil War nerdery making you leftist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Matt credits his disability over anything else. If his legs worked, he'd be a fedora wearing military historian

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I was just recently recommended a podcast in RGD called Astonishing Legends. I'm only a half hour into their ten hour long series on the Betz Sphere, but honestly the fact that they have a ten hour long series on the Betz Sphere is enough to convince me that this is the podcast I've been looking for ever since Art Bell went off the air

I just couldn't get into this one - they were a bit too credulous.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1178336444986753025?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Deified Data posted:

I just couldn't get into this one - they were a bit too credulous.

I've only heard one episode so far, but I think they're the right amount of credulous for me. It's not as fun if the hosts don't get into it a little. But without going full George Noory, where you just believe anything and never challenge the story at all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I've only heard one episode so far, but I think they're the right amount of credulous for me. It's not as fun if the hosts don't get into it a little. But without going full George Noory, where you just believe anything and never challenge the story at all.

I should try to hop back in - I just listened to their series on Skinwalker Ranch

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lol at the hack fraud robert evans pretending he's never listened to chapo when worst year ever is literally a pg13 chapo knock off palatable to anarlib interventionists and his blue apron sponsors

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

gh0stpinballa posted:

lol at the hack fraud robert evans

i read that as rich evans and got really excited

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mclast posted:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I listened to Leslie Lee III's appearence on Media Roots, and that man is a hot take machine. "Lovecraft is anti-capitalist" is one hell of a take.

mclast posted:

"It Could Happen Here," but it's about a future where Disney buys the rest of the film studios.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I mean Lovecraft is anti-capitalist but in the way that Monarchists used to be anti-capitalist

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

Matt credits his disability over anything else. If his legs worked, he'd be a fedora wearing military historian

it's not quite Gamesmas season yet but he did learn the true meaning of games that one time

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

lol at the hack fraud robert evans pretending he's never listened to chapo when worst year ever is literally a pg13 chapo knock off palatable to anarlib interventionists and his blue apron sponsors

eh since no one else is I guess I will bite, why is he a fraud

the only comment I see from him about Chapo is a tweet he made in May but that can't be all, right?

Evans isn't phenomenal and I agree that a nominally left-aligned person being Chapo-shy in 2019 is dumb as hell but his shows have radicalized some people in my life in a way that Chapo probably wouldn't reach without Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here breaking them in first

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Deified Data posted:

the only comment I see from him about Chapo is a tweet he made in May but that can't be all, right?

Evans isn't phenomenal and I agree that a nominally left-aligned person being Chapo-shy in 2019 is dumb as hell but his shows have radicalized some people in my life in a way that Chapo probably wouldn't reach without Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here breaking them in first

Tankies hate him because he isn't one.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

whats an anarlib

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

What's a good and funny podcast to listen to that is similar to chapo? I have a 30-40 drive to and from work each day and there aren't enough episodes of Chapo and Citations Needed each week to occupy all this time. Struggle Session is alright but not as funny as chapo. I've considered old episodes of chapo, but a "commentary on recent events" show like that doesn't work as well when you're listening to people discuss the latest news and tweets and poo poo from 18 months ago or whatever.

One of the stranger experiences I've had was when I went to college in NYC and people constantly commented on my "southern accent." I was not aware of even having a southern accent (I grew up in Memphis TN), and I think I lost it at some point during college because no one (including new people) commented on it after freshman year. I remember being extremely surprised to learn that "cuss" is apparently not a universal word (and somehow I did not realize it was slang for "curse"). I remember this girl thinking it was the funniest thing ever when I said "cuss."

I disagree about old Chapo, I relistened to the whole thing up to that point like two years ago on my night job, and it was great as a serirs of snapshots, especially the stuff in the run up to the election

And all the "holy poo poo this is happening" stuff thsts been forgotten in the longest four years of our lives

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

I listened to Leslie Lee III's appearence on Media Roots, and that man is a hot take machine. "Lovecraft is anti-capitalist" is one hell of a take.

"It Could Happen Here," but it's about a future where Disney buys the rest of the film studios.

"Alan moore hates pastiche " is still the single hottest take I've ever heard about comics

Hot enough that a friend who actually writes comics listened because he refused to believe it was real

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I used to get triggered by Leslie's hot takes, not because I really care but I can't tell if he's trolling.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Tabletop Game Theory episode is the monday Chapo update?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!! HISSS!!!!!!!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Rejoice, for a dying old man has also given us WWII literature discussion.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1178767880420245504

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I disagree about old Chapo, I relistened to the whole thing up to that point like two years ago on my night job, and it was great as a serirs of snapshots, especially the stuff in the run up to the election

yeah, i think of the beginning chapo up thru the election as an arc (ending with we live in the zone now), and I think that's the best the show has ever been and will ever will be

Dec 26, 2012

funny song about politics posted:

Trashfuture is very funny and possibly even more ironic and extremely online than Chapo. Michael and Us is a podcast that reviews political movies from the late 90s-early 2000s, also very good.

trashfuture is a solid rec as long as you're fine with them talking about extremely british politics/writers (i am)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Finicums Wake posted:

yeah, i think of the beginning chapo up thru the election as an arc (ending with we live in the zone now), and I think that's the best the show has ever been and will ever will be

That's not the noid riff tho

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
the John McCain eulogy eps are personal facorites

i also made this a few months ago, that giant Abridged Chapo writeup https://justpaste.it/656f3

also, working on it inspired me to do some original writing. like a text podcast. i just finished a 10 page writeup of the financial crisis

mclast has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Oct 1, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

01011001 posted:

trashfuture is a solid rec as long as you're fine with them talking about extremely british politics/writers (i am)

trashfuture is a straight rip of chapo and the way they run through the same dead eyed routine of repeating twitter in jokes everyone is over is insufferable

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Bullfrog posted:

Tankies hate him because he isn't one.

i think they also hate him because he doesn't appear to know what tankies are. according to him anyone who didn't want the US to intervene in syria is a fascist assadist tankie.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Deified Data posted:

he's one in a long line of "leftist" journalists who get their pic taken wearing aviators in the syrian desert then go back to america to do a podcast about why trump is actually right to bomb this failed state and by the way have you heard of blue apron

also the BtB assad episode was so riddled with inaccuracies i thought it was a parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think they also hate him because he doesn't appear to know what tankies are. according to him anyone who didn't want the US to intervene in syria is a fascist assadist tankie.

a surprisingly common opinion!