Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should just make an effortpost about all the Atelier games so we can just save it/print it/got it memorized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

after being called out for transphobia and doubling down on it, heartbeat devs put their game + soundtrack on a 41% discount in reference to '41% of trans people commit suicide' statistic, reviews are currently a shithouse.

im sure steam will do something about this! (they wont)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should just make an effortpost about all the Atelier games so we can just save it/print it/got it memorized?

I can try tomorrow but not all my opinions are mainstream. For instance, I think Firis is a better game than Mana Khemia by a significant margin, and that Shallie is the worst modern Atelier

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

after being called out for transphobia and doubling down on it, heartbeat devs put their game + soundtrack on a 41% discount in reference to '41% of trans people commit suicide' statistic, reviews are currently a shithouse.

That's extremely loving gross and you're right, Valve won't do a goddamned thing

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kill TERFs

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

I can try tomorrow but not all my opinions are mainstream. For instance, I think Firis is a better game than Mana Khemia by a significant margin, and that Shallie is the worst modern Atelier

I think having a bit of detail on the trilogies and the major changes between each one - considering the modern ports - would help a lot. Doesn't need to be a big effort post, you've sold enough people into the series by just being passionate and honest about them, it's mostly that there are a lot of options right now and it's easy to get lost.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Isnt there an infography on the atelier reddit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Isnt there an infography on the atelier reddit

yes

couldn't tell you how good or bad it is though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

you know this transphobia thing makes the whole thing in heartbeat where that male character joins your otherwise all-female party temporarily but you can't give him direct orders like you can all other party members (except the Weird Animal Pet, anyway) because of like Yin/Yang Magic Reasons a lot more, uh, creepy, now that I think about it

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Endorph posted:

i'm extremely angry and upset and, maybe fittingly, it's driving me to not want to become that statistic in defiance of it more and more and more

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the moral of the story is that "separate the art form the artist" is bullshit because the artist never does that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

the moral of the story is that "separate the art form the artist" is bullshit because the artist never does that

If they're wrong about everything else, why aren't they wrong about that, too?

A person's moral failings doesn't suddenly mean they can't write or draw well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
separation of art from artist isn't a fixed thing and it varies wildly depending on the artist, their involvement in the art and the themes of the art itself, without even mentioning someone's personal level of comfort that it's all built on in the first place

for me this is uh, way beyond the loving pale and taints any messaging in the game itself that could've ever been interpreted in a positive way lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGn9x4-Y_7A

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yep. Ive just put in the deletion from my steam account.

Don't care about the money. I refuse to support this in any way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

If they're wrong about everything else, why aren't they wrong about that, too?

A person's moral failings doesn't suddenly mean they can't write or draw well.
i didn't say the creators were taking that tactic (and in fact given the 41% sale i dont' think they would, they'e doubling down on their views here) i just saw a comment on the topic when glancing at the reviews

and i'm not talking about the technical quality of the art or whatever i'm talking about the themes, where the game has Yin and Yang animal-people and Yang, male, ones can't sync up and use the party-wide resource or get orders form the player because they're Not Compatible with the Yin, female, main character/party and poo poo, which, you know, seems a little, uh, :stonk: when you know the creative team are TERFs. they didn't keep their politics out of the game, here

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Considering the recent reviews, it seems to at least be working for them in the short term.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got nothing to say except thanks for being a lovely TERF and a miserable PR manager.

Cuntellectual posted:

Considering the recent reviews, it seems to at least be working for them in the short term.

Ive never wanted to know the demographics of a purchaser contingent more than this very moment

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 1, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you really want to know they've gotten huge backing from resetera/gg which seem to be buying their game to own the libs :I

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You'd think resetera would be boycotting it given their usual leanings..

Edit: \/ yeah RE is calling this out, not supporting it, pedos or not.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 1, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah, shocked that the pedo forum hates trans people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I got a random question. Elsewhere we were talking about FF vocal tracks and I commented on how either Xenogears or FFVIII made it a staple to have a nice vocal song at the end of your JRPG. All subsequent FFs did it, Xenosaga did it, Chrono Cross did it...

Was Xenogears the first JRPG to have a credits song with lyrics?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

if you really want to know they've gotten huge backing from resetera/gg which seem to be buying their game to own the libs :I

I checked with people from both ends of the spectrum that I'm acquainted with. Resetera has a thread warning people not to buy it, and the most diehard 8chan types refuse to touch a game made by a lesbian anyways.

I'm kind of wondering where the sales are coming from, too. My first guess was it was just people who bought it awhile back and posted reviews to own the libs, but it was in the top sellers :shrug:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It's the earliest I can find...unless we can count sotn as a jrpg....

which we can't..

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

it's definitely not resetera, they're pretty uniformly anti-TERF aside from the parachute accounts that spawn in whenever a story like this pops up

neogaf, however, is mega-transphobic

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

it's definitely not resetera, they're pretty uniformly anti-TERF aside from the parachute accounts that spawn in whenever a story like this pops up

neogaf, however, is mega-transphobic

Didn't neogaf shut down?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't neogaf shut down?

It came back in extra gg/alt-right form.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oh, panzer dragoon saga has vocal credits and came out a month before xenogears

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GulagDolls posted:

oh, panzer dragoon saga has vocal credits and came out a month before xenogears

Sega does it again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't neogaf shut down?
no. resetera formed because of the allegations against evilore, so when all the liberal quota of moderators/admins left, evilore just kept neogaf going and went full chud. it's basically a non-reddit version of thedonald. whereas resetera is... well, the off-topic forum is what i'd call 'american liberal' and the game forum TRIES to be progressive but constantly has to deal with moderates making GBS threads up any deeper criticism of games. so a lot of the forum is just nonstop fighting

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tales of Phantasia had a vocal song over the credits, iirc, it was just at the beginning of the game, not the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that was tales of phantasia's big marketing gimmick so i definitely think it'd be the first. it's japanese tagline was literally 'the rpg that sings.'

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ha, was too late to come in all ":actually: Tales of Phantasia" but hell, Imma drop the opening anyway, because it was crazy impressive for the system it was on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SA9LuqQgA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah resetera feels like well meaning but kind of doofy people whose biggest sin is creating hot takes by being profoundly short sighted in their analysis of their media.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

yeah that was tales of phantasia's big marketing gimmick so i definitely think it'd be the first. it's japanese tagline was literally 'the rpg that sings.'

You would've thought that tagline would go to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Yeah resetera feels like well meaning but kind of doofy people whose biggest sin is creating hot takes by being profoundly short sighted in their analysis of their media.

like a lot of guys of that type they find it utterly impossible to navigate the idea that women arent a singular entity with an all-encompassing opinion on what is/isn't sexist so most of their worst behavior comes when women go against groupthink. it was back on neogaf but i remember a lady who worked on killer is dead, that crappy suda51 game with a mildly weird dating minigame, getting banned for saying she didn't think the minigame was sexist, lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You would've thought that tagline would go to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

I just remember that having instruments, no necessarily vocals but I also have watched like 1 youtube worth od its content

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright, so it looks like I got a wrong idea about what they're about, but I only ever see self identified reset-era posts and tweets that are pretty much been awful.

so far it looks like chuds, incels and right wing bronies? vOv

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

Goddamn, I don’t think I’ve seen chuds double down in a way that’s this gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm honestly not surprised they've doubled down like this. The 41% attempting suicide gets dragged out by this sort all the time. Because, you know, it's not like that suicide rate might possibly be tied to the poo poo time we get from society, and the difficulty there can be in getting permission to transition in some areas. Oh you haven't lived as a man/woman for at least six months? NO HORMONES FOR YOU. Or tied to other mental illnesses that have nothing to do with being trans. It's not telling that those rates are highest among those who experience discrimination in housing or healthcare, experience harassment up to and and including assault, attempted murder, and sexual assault, and rejection by their families. Nah, bruh. It's all down to just being trans.

T gets thrown under the bus all the drat time by certain other parts of the LGB community. I want to be surprised this happened. And I want to be surprised they've doubled down in the grossest of ways. But I just can't. This sort? That's just what they do.