Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

West of the 405 and north of the 10 is some of the wealthiest parts of LA.

If that's why you're picking it, hell yeah I'm fine with bulldozing Brentwood.

There was a plan for adding huge density along Wilshire some decades ago.

throw in finally pushing PV into the ocean and I'm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jaxyon posted:

West of the 405 and north of the 10 is some of the wealthiest parts of LA.

If that's why you're picking it, hell yeah I'm fine with bulldozing Brentwood.

There was a plan for adding huge density along Wilshire some decades ago.

Yeah, generally speaking, we should be replacing low density-high value single family homes with taller buildings. It is the only way out of this mess that I can think of: build more housing where people want to live, not in Valencia. While we're at it, throw in Bel Air and Beverly Hills and I'll drive the dozer myself.

The Wilshire corridor near UCLA looks like someone had a plan and then chickened out just after crossing the 405 to the west (Barrington Plaza and those brown office buildings come to mind) and certainly when approaching Beverly Hills to the east.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

slicing up eyeballs posted:

gently caress these people

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's cool that a whole community managed to come together and raise money to confront their homeless problem, but instead of actually doing that they just threw big have rocks in the sidewalk to own the homeless, uh, somehow.

San Francisco was a mistake.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Wow. So the story is true.

Yes and it's not just a restaurant here and there. All over San Jose / SV there are huge lots of corporate real estate (large multistory office building complexes etc.) that are entirely or mostly vacant, often for years on end.

Honestly someone should just burn them down (no not rly hi FBI)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a gigantic office complex on 1st and Montague that has been empty for going on four years now. Tons of other similarly vacant complex in the area. Hell basically all of the west half of Rio Robles is empty offices, presumably because no company in their right mind is interested in paying those rents. Dont worry though they're still flawlessly landscaped and watered! :suicide:

So much loving space going to zero use. Its infuriating.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

california will yet make georgists of us all

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What's interesting is that Riverside has a downtown that was built in the 1890s - 1930s (before the auto really got its hooks in) and it works really well. We were going to run a trolley between UCR and downtown - which would have been totally dope - but it was going to be something completely insane like 300 million dollars so they gave up on it.

That's the other thing. Our infrastructure costs are absolutely nuts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Right, I'm saying that LA could really use high density housing on top of public transit.

It won't get it though.

LA is already the most densely populated metro in the nation.

It's spread out, but pretty compact with relatively small lot sizes and not a lot of empty land. Building up a story or two and adding tons of mass transit would do wonders.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What's interesting is that Riverside has a downtown that was built in the 1890s - 1930s (before the auto really got its hooks in) and it works really well. We were going to run a trolley between UCR and downtown - which would have been totally dope - but it was going to be something completely insane like 300 million dollars so they gave up on it.

A lot of the older IE cities like Redlands have good downtown cores. There's just so much open land still out here that building upwards doesn't make much financial sense.
Just crawl along the freeways, building out as far as you can.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MickeyFinn posted:

Basically all of the area west of the 405 and north of the 10 could be converted to mixed use 4-6 story (I forget the height limit on wood frames) and it would be awesome. I live in a much smaller city right now and it’s built that way and it’s much better for it.
Wood can be pretty high and modern advances in OSB and wooden load-bearing i-beams and stuff is very good. Japan is building a 70-story wooden skyscraper (albeit, with 10% steel).

Current building code is 6-stories for wood; however, you can do a podium structure with a concrete/steel podium for the first 1-2 floors and get up to 7-8. There's ongoing approval and work making its way through code committees and getting approval in IBC 2021 to build up to 18-story wood-frame buildings with a robust sprinkler and flame retardant systems. Currently It's much cheaper and easier on a per unit-basis to build mid-rise podium structures, often without requiring advanced large cranes, and better ecologically as a carbon sink and sustainably as well (concrete emits a lot of GHG). It'll be even better once we can push the mid-rise into low-high rise wood buildings. If we can turn most everything into varying 6-18 story wood buildings, with store-front commercial spaces, that would be perfect.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

What the hell I'm in riverside and yes that would have been dope. College cities only work imo when there's easy flow between campus and dt

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

slicing up eyeballs posted:

What the hell I'm in riverside and yes that would have been dope. College cities only work imo when there's easy flow between campus and dt

As am I, and I've thought that MLK could use a light-rail connecting the campus to downtown. I have no idea why everything is so expensive for the city. The latest city budget is loving dire for the next 5 years, and that's after passing a general fund sales tax a few years back.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Come to the next ie dsa meeting!! At the uu church dt, 7pm third uhh Tuesday of the month

Update: :toot:

https://amp.sacbee.com/news/california/article235640082.html?__twitter_impression=true

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It would be nice if Fast food places were required to show total calories of meal as you are ordering it. Aka total next to the cash total. Would be great for california

Also sugary drink tax to the max.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
What the hell? How many riverside goons are there? And yeah, Riverside’s downtown is exactly what a medium sized city’s downtown should be in terms of nightlife.

They’re doing all the right things too with expansion, all of the new attractions are within walking distance.

Getting between UCR and DTR via bus is stupid easy. Free if you’re a student too.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 1, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also sugary drink tax to the max.

This is some Bloomberg shitlib think. Why not just limit the amount of sweetener allowed in soft drinks to solve the problem and not put the biggest impact on the poor.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

You don't need to make tenement blocks. You don't need high-density housing. Medium density and good public transportation works 98% of the time, only the biggest economic powerhouse cities need anything more.
High density is a fuzzy term, to a lot of Americans any form of apartment building taller than one story constitutes high density.

I agree that you generally only need medium density, but I think bigass towers directly on top of/adjacent to major transit stations (subway/light rail/etc.) makes sense in terms of making walking + transit easily accessible to large numbers of people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The IE goons are here, we’re just too embarrassed to let people know we live in the IE.

IE owns

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

throw in finally pushing PV into the ocean and I'm down

I'm always surprised when people, even people in so cal, know about my humble hometown.

This sentiment is correct, however.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm always surprised when people, even people in so cal, know about my humble hometown.

This sentiment is correct, however.

:thermidor:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The IE goons are here, we’re just too embarrassed to let people know we live in the IE.

IE owns

Too drat hot.

I hear the meth is good tho.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Craptacular! posted:

This is some Bloomberg shitlib think. Why not just limit the amount of sweetener allowed in soft drinks to solve the problem and not put the biggest impact on the poor.
The biggest impact to the poor is poor health. Swaying people away from drinking soda is a societal positive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What we need are marginal sugar tax brackets. Under 3g per serving is free, 3-12g per serving is 10%, …

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Too drat hot.

Couldn't agree with you more, but before climate change hit us we were very nice a lot of the time. Only had 2 truly bad months of the year (and 2 sorta-bad) weather-wise.

Now we start hitting the 90s in March and don't stop until November.

Oh and the traffic has gotten worse. And worse. And worse.

Still rep the IE but it's taken a hit. Everywhere has, though.

Kill Bristol posted:

What the hell? How many riverside goons are there?

Riverside is in the top 50 largest cities in the USA, there's tons of people from here. They just don't generally say a lot about it because of Kevin and Bean.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 1, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The biggest impact to the poor is poor health. Swaying people away from drinking soda is a societal positive.
Trying to manipulate the behavior of the poor in a way where people with more money can just choose to buy enough of whatever, because hey it’s a freer country the richer you get, that is lovely thinking. This is the domain the right pivots to after they lose the battle to make soda unable to be purchased with SNAP.

If you just loving regulate the amount of natural and artificial glucose in drinks, you get the desired effect of a healthier populace without telling people they need to go work more to enjoy the things they like.

But it’s not about health. It’s about either people spending money in ways that you personally don’t approve of (shitlibs), or about punishing the poor (conservatives).

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And while we're at it, let's double the FDA's budget, and then make all "nutritional supplements" regulated by them, because yeah people will buy snake oil and drink stuff that's basically slow poison etc. and we actually really need to basically stop manufacturers from shilling bullshit to consumers. Getting massive amounts of corn syrup out of our drinks is just one component of that larger issue.

also end corn subsidies

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Leperflesh posted:

also end corn subsidies

I'm from the Midwest with a corn farmer in the family.

Death to corn subsidies

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Couldn't agree with you more, but before climate change hit us we were very nice a lot of the time. Only had 2 truly bad months of the year (and 2 sorta-bad) weather-wise.

Now we start hitting the 90s in March and don't stop until November.

Oh and the traffic has gotten worse. And worse. And worse.

Still rep the IE but it's taken a hit. Everywhere has, though.

Riverside is in the top 50 largest cities in the USA, there's tons of people from here. They just don't generally say a lot about it because of Kevin and Bean.

Been here since 89 and the infrastructure and heat just keep getting worse.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

It's cool that a whole community managed to come together and raise money to confront their homeless problem, but instead of actually doing that they just threw big have rocks in the sidewalk to own the homeless, uh, somehow.

San Francisco was a mistake.

They're trying it in Sacramento now, too

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

also end corn subsidies
There was a story in the paper a couple of days ago about Trump-voting corn farmers being upset, because there's not just the China thing, but Trump has cut regulations requiring ethanol in gasoline. (Which is a dumb regulation and should feel dumb.)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a story in the paper a couple of days ago about Trump-voting corn farmers being upset, because there's not just the China thing, but Trump has cut regulations requiring ethanol in gasoline. (Which is a dumb regulation and should feel dumb.)

Ethanol is a very renewable fuel. Why wouldnt we want it mixed with gasolene?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It’s worse for the climate, worse for the environment, and has the side effect of raising food prices in some of the poorest parts of the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Might want to check into the sustainability of corn.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Almost all automobiles (unmodified) will run on E10 gas (10% ethanol), flex-fuel vehicles will run on E85 gas (85% ethanol). In some cases it's just a reprogramming of the computer.

The issue with pure ethanol is its absorption of water.

quote:

Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor directly from the atmosphere. Because absorbed water dilutes the fuel value of the ethanol and may cause phase separation of ethanol-gasoline blends (which causes engine stall), containers of ethanol fuels must be kept tightly sealed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s worse for the climate, worse for the environment, and has the side effect of raising food prices in some of the poorest parts of the world.

Ethanol (corn based) is basically an inefficient method of converting natural gas into a liquid fuel, since massive amounts of natural gas are used in distillation and in fertilizers for growing corn.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The idea that it burns cleaner than traditional gasoline is mostly a myth pushed by the biofuel industry. I believe it does produce less carbon monoxide, but it's significantly worse for the ozone and produces more smog. It's renewable in the sense that we can keep growing corn (well, for as long as corn can still be grown in huge monoculture, which given the changing climate may not be much longer) but it's not a solution for climate change or air pollution.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, state mandates for ethanol blends aren't there to protect the environment, they're there to protect farmers by creating a bullshit market that will pay more for their corn than starving people.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Unless things have gotten better recently, ethanol from corn requires more energy to produce than it yields (on top of all the other problems that people already pointed out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Family Values posted:

Unless things have gotten better recently, ethanol from corn requires more energy to produce than it yields (on top of all the other problems that people already pointed out).

Yes but have you considered it provides JOBS to America's heart and soul, its down to earth hard working farmers?