Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm honestly not surprised they've doubled down like this. The 41% attempting suicide gets dragged out by this sort all the time. Because, you know, it's not like that suicide rate might possibly be tied to the poo poo time we get from society, and the difficulty there can be in getting permission to transition in some areas. Oh you haven't lived as a man/woman for at least six months? NO HORMONES FOR YOU. Or tied to other mental illnesses that have nothing to do with being trans. It's not telling that those rates are highest among those who experience discrimination in housing or healthcare, experience harassment up to and and including assault, attempted murder, and sexual assault, and rejection by their families. Nah, bruh. It's all down to just being trans.

T gets thrown under the bus all the drat time by certain other parts of the LGB community. I want to be surprised this happened. And I want to be surprised they've doubled down in the grossest of ways. But I just can't. This sort? That's just what they do.

People lash out like this when they feel cornered. That's a good thing. It means they're losing.

You've got friends, don't ever forget that. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i always gave Heartbeat the hairy eyeball for reasons i couldn't quite articulate, but i didn't expect this

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Horrific yet unsurprising that the Heartbeat devs have doubled down on their evil, hateful nonsense. I'm glad I requested the deletion after my refund request was denied a couple weeks ago when this stuff first came out.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

thanks steam

real effective algorithm you have there (cw: transphobia, suicide)

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 1, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus. This is all kinds of awful.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Holy loving poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something the dev's girlfriend said, as the dev drops the price 41%.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

EightFlyingCars posted:

People lash out like this when they feel cornered. That's a good thing. It means they're losing.

You've got friends, don't ever forget that. :unsmith:

Ofc they’re at their most dangerous and vicious when cornered, which makes it all the more important to stand up now

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I hope the creators of Heartbeat have many productive conversations with their new chud fans about the rights of women, homosexuality and age of consent laws.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lovely. This is the sort of person they are super keen on having associated with their game.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
I don't think the Heartbeat gang are gonna be chased out immediately. Yeah 8chan hates them but theres an entire contingent of chuds who will at least pretend to be nice to minorities so they can be used as a talking point, and they're much bigger than 8chan.

And Resetera is probably more disappointing than being a chud place because they took this huge moral stand for the end result of "I think we should give Atlus the benefit of the doubt for making Catherine again with all the bad poo poo from before and worse new poo poo". Liberals...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wonder if a site like Polygon or something would be interested in writing a piece about this awful dev and the stuff they're doing?

(I mean, I don't really know the general view of Polygon but they seem to be pretty, you know, not lovely all the time)

Just, ugh. The fact that they make money off of this is disgusting.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

"developer uses discount percentage as transphobic dogwhistle" is sufficiently terrible and novel news that there will absolutely be a polygon article on it by this evening, especially given that Heartbeat is/was a reasonably popular game. this stuff just takes time to notice, research, and write.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 1, 2019

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
So they're not using the discount to like.....push back vs. their transphobic image and raise awareness? It's an intentional dig at people killing themselves? really?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This is obviously a hilariously lovely thing but I'm not sure what the point of posting screencaps of that garbage here is.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

So they're not using the discount to like.....push back vs. their transphobic image and raise awareness? It's an intentional dig at people killing themselves? really?

People who say that "mutilating your penis doesn't make you a woman" and that transwomen are just "men trying to take over women's spaces" don't generally bring up the suicide attempt statistic for awareness.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Elephant Parade posted:

"developer uses discount percentage as transphobic dogwhistle" is sufficiently terrible and novel news that there will absolutely be a polygon article on it by this evening, especially given that Heartbeat is/was a reasonably popular game. this stuff just takes time to notice, research, and write.

Was it? It feels like there's only enough space in the blogosphere for one explosively popular indie game at a time (see everything getting buried the year undertale came out), and it was one of the games where something else was going on at the time

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

People who say that "mutilating your penis doesn't make you a woman" and that transwomen are just "men trying to take over women's spaces" don't generally bring up the suicide attempt statistic for awareness.

Ah. Well that makes more sense then. Probably the most hostile thing I've seen from a game dev.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I could see some of the sites trying to quietly pretend this isn't happening since they gushed about the game previously, but I hope that's not the case.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I can't imagine having so little empathy that I'd see people killing themselves as anything but a tragedy. Which is especially disgusting coming from a game that at least somewhat trades on an image of empathy and compassion.

This is all so gross.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kanfy posted:

This is obviously a hilariously lovely thing but I'm not sure what the point of posting screencaps of that garbage here is.
to emphasize that Steam's anti-off-topic-review algorithm is a total failure. but yeah, I put the second image behind spoiler tags for a reason

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really loving Lydie and Suelle. Got to cobblestone falls in DQXI and I am not really a fan but I'll stick with the demo in case it gets better. So I've played Ayesha already. What Atelier game should I play after Lydie and Suelle?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Lovely. This is the sort of person they are super keen on having associated with their game.

jesus loving christ

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Now, I have nothing against anime itself. And not even against most anime fans. It'd be pretty drat hypocritical of me if I did, since most of my time waiting for my kid's school bus is spent watching some Netflix anime or another on my phone.

But...I also am somehow entirely unsurprised that like...9 out of 10 of the people being awful on Steam have a particular style of anime avatar, mostly waifu types.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

redreader posted:

I'm really loving Lydie and Suelle. Got to cobblestone falls in DQXI and I am not really a fan but I'll stick with the demo in case it gets better. So I've played Ayesha already. What Atelier game should I play after Lydie and Suelle?

Give Rorona a shot next imo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Now, I have nothing against anime itself. And not even against most anime fans. It'd be pretty drat hypocritical of me if I did, since most of my time waiting for my kid's school bus is spent watching some Netflix anime or another on my phone.

But...I also am somehow entirely unsurprised that like...9 out of 10 of the people being awful on Steam have a particular style of anime avatar, mostly waifu types.

Anime has a huge reactionary fandom. People who never grew out of their channer phase are the big bulk of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I can’t think of a group that doesn’t have a reactionary subgroup

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

And Resetera is probably more disappointing than being a chud place because they took this huge moral stand for the end result of "I think we should give Atlus the benefit of the doubt for making Catherine again with all the bad poo poo from before and worse new poo poo". Liberals...

They've been pretty critical of that too, outside of a couple folks.

RE's problem is that the site is a giant purity test. They moderate anything they don't see as woke or woke ENOUGH. Basically it's a giant hivemind where users are expected to conform or be banned forever.

EDIT: \/ exactly and most of the people buying it to "own the libs" are in for an awful surprise if they actually play it. Though we know they won't.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 1, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Danakir posted:

I can't imagine having so little empathy that I'd see people killing themselves as anything but a tragedy. Which is especially disgusting coming from a game that at least somewhat trades on an image of empathy and compassion.

This is all so gross.

People are lovely so I'm used to horrible poo poo but man. The devs went out of their way to make their game cheaper solely as a gently caress you to trans people. Normally you'd see this kind of poo poo from edgy shovelware that's trying to be deliberately offensive so they can ride the outrage wave when 'school shooter sim 2k20' gets taken off of steam, but by all accounts heartbeat was a pretty good game with a tone totally contrary from the bile the devs have been spewing out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

People are lovely so I'm used to horrible poo poo but man. The devs went out of their way to make their game cheaper solely as a gently caress you to trans people. Normally you'd see this kind of poo poo from edgy shovelware that's trying to be deliberately offensive so they can ride the outrage wave when 'school shooter sim 2k20' gets taken off of steam, but by all accounts heartbeat was a pretty good game with a tone totally contrary from the bile the devs have been spewing out.

I haven't played it, but from what I've seen from how Yin and Yang is used in game, that might not totally be the case. It was just more subtle about it than the stuff being laid out now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best you could say about heartbeat is that it, didn't necessarily touch on gender exploration instead of outright saying trans people are disgusting

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know what a Metal Max is but people were talking about it a while ago

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/metal-max-xeno-reborn-and-metal-max-xeno-reborn-2-announced-for-ps4-and-switch-alongside-series-reboot-code-zero

Xeno: Reborn 1, 2 and Code Zero announced for the Switch and Ps4

"Based on the original Metal Max Xeno released for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in April 2018, Metal Max Xeno: Reborn is a full remake that revamps everything from the game engine to various game systems. Players can look forward to enjoying the game anew, as well as the return of the battle dog Pochi."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh sweet, I love the Metal Max games. I hadn't gotten around to playing Xeno yet, so I'll probably just wait for the remake to drop. Hopefully it comes to the states.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I don't know what a Metal Max is but people were talking about it a while ago

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/metal-max-xeno-reborn-and-metal-max-xeno-reborn-2-announced-for-ps4-and-switch-alongside-series-reboot-code-zero

Xeno: Reborn 1, 2 and Code Zero announced for the Switch and Ps4

"Based on the original Metal Max Xeno released for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in April 2018, Metal Max Xeno: Reborn is a full remake that revamps everything from the game engine to various game systems. Players can look forward to enjoying the game anew, as well as the return of the battle dog Pochi."

Man I don't know how to feel about this. I loved the metal max games I've played but Xeno was pretty bad. Unless they seriously revamped a bunch of stuff I don't think i can be excited for a remake. Hopefully they walk back some of xeno's design decisions so I can get properly excited for the sequel and reboot.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk of what any of your complaints against the game is because i have not played a metal max game in my life, but

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/10/01/metal-max-xeno-reborn-first-screenshots-show-off-remakes-improved-graphics-battles-and-dog/

quote:

As for battles it’ll no longer be random encounters, as you’ll see them roaming the fields with seamless battles.

The battles have also been improved to offer a more “action” feel to it, but we’ll learn more about that later.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Was briefly excited for ports of old metal max games instead of another run at the new, bad one

yellefan
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I got a random question. Elsewhere we were talking about FF vocal tracks and I commented on how either Xenogears or FFVIII made it a staple to have a nice vocal song at the end of your JRPG. All subsequent FFs did it, Xenosaga did it, Chrono Cross did it...

Was Xenogears the first JRPG to have a credits song with lyrics?

Cosmic Fantasy 2 from April 1991 has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfeQ4jZRA34

Lunar: Eternal Blue also has one from a few years later.

yellefan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 1, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

They've been pretty critical of that too, outside of a couple folks.

RE's problem is that the site is a giant purity test. They moderate anything they don't see as woke or woke ENOUGH. Basically it's a giant hivemind where users are expected to conform or be banned forever.

EDIT: \/ exactly and most of the people buying it to "own the libs" are in for an awful surprise if they actually play it. Though we know they won't.

You can see most of the people reviewing it have like 0.2 hours or whatever.

I'm more curious what it'll mean for the dev's next game, ie if this is meme-y enough for people to buy the next one BECAUSE of all this.

Apparently it was well known in some circles that the devs were like this and it didn't particularly hurt the sales of Heartbeat at any rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Eh, this is kind of just pointless word association. I've seen people being massive transphobes with avatars of series with characters who are literally, explicitly trans. Heck, the heartbeat dev is actually an example of that since she used to be in the touhou fandom and get insanely mad whenever people acted like the character who literally, explicitly went from male to female (to the point of having a dead name) counted as trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Eh, this is kind of just pointless word association. I've seen people being massive transphobes with avatars of series with characters who are literally, explicitly trans. Heck, the heartbeat dev is actually an example of that since she used to be in the touhou fandom and get insanely mad whenever people acted like the character who literally, explicitly went from male to female (to the point of having a dead name) counted as trans.

There were people who ferverently denied that one girl from Zombieland saga was trans. :shrug: