Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If a place has nice food AND nice tits it's going to be a night to remember

The only award a chef who works at a strip club is likely to have won is a "satisfactory completion of proper food sanitation" course certificate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'm going to stick with "supremely stupid idea" because the girl is blowing up her friend group over nomenclature.

Also sorry about my ninja edit up there.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I can't believe we're only 8 pages away from this thread's destruction. Curse you, mods! :freep:

The Bramble posted:

My uncle [49M] is ending our relationship because I [18M] messed up his American Girl Doll website.

This one is so specifically weird that I almost feel it makes it more likely to be a true story.

Now rewrite this story, but with Timothy instead of American Girl Dolls

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Scathach posted:

I'm going to stick with "supremely stupid idea" because the girl is blowing up her friend group over nomenclature.

Also sorry about my ninja edit up there.

I feel like if you ask the friend, they'd probably consider their transition more than nomenclature.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fight Man has begun a shift to MGTOW.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jesus loving christ, I thought we were free.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ad090 posted:

My wife and I are very conflicted. It seems like a difficult choice but we've gone with the therapist's suggestion and stuck with our compromise. We won't force our son to have a relationship with his grandfather, but we will continue to maintain ours.

Our son has isolated himself from the entire family as a result. I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I had a friend tell me we made the wrong choice. That we are indirectly punishing the innocent party.

this seems fair

i would expect that a teenager with facial scars is probably nuclear level pissed at their life circumstance and wants to lash out to get some kind of vengeance on the person who put them in a lovely situation. but it's really not great to let your emotionally volatile child lead a crusade of revenge against a sad sack old man

it's a harsh lesson but it's probably for the best in the long term that the teen works on acceptance and forgiveness because once pop pop dies if teen is still mad about being visibly scarred then they'll need to find another outlet for their anger

chitoryu12 posted:

Fight Man has begun a shift to MGTOW.

he's not going his own way though, he goes to the mat every time

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like if you ask the friend, they'd probably consider their transition more than nomenclature.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to girl's night... NOMENclature is very clear.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean... maaaybe. But really, unless it was not an accident or it's something just completely grossly negligent, is it really relevant?
Well, unintended campfire sounds like it could be grossly negligent.

But it also sounds like the son is (reasonably) upset because he's horribly burned for life and went through a lot of pain. How the burns happened don't change that pain, but there's a different in culpability between, say, 5 year old pulled down a pot full of boiling water and house fire because grandpa fell asleep while smoking. Presumably letting a 5 year old too close to a bonfire veers more towards negligence, but in the end it sucks because it doesn't sound like grandpa is a careless abusive man or anything, and the parents aren't trying to force their son to forgive him or have contact with him.

I don't think he gets to decide who other people cut off, even if he was the victim of the accident and has lifelong physical and mental scars. It sucks all around.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I don't think he gets to decide who other people cut off,

yeah, this too. you can go piss on grandpa's grave when he's gone but you can't twist other people's arms to be as angry as you are

wanting support and validation for your anger isn't a license to dictate who gets to have relationships with the person you don't like. a lot of teens struggle with this who aren't subject to lifelong injury

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

luxury handset posted:

yeah, this too. you can go piss on grandpa's grave when he's gone but you can't twist other people's arms to be as angry as you are

wanting support and validation for your anger isn't a license to dictate who gets to have relationships with the person you don't like. a lot of teens struggle with this who aren't subject to lifelong injury
I think the thing for me is that his family is absolutely supporting his right to cut grandpa off.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

.....I meant "girl's night."

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (27m) wife (27f) electrocuted me as a “prank” and thinks I’m overreacting

quote:

Until now, my wife and I have had a pretty great relationship. We’ve been married 3 years and we are generally a light hearted and easy going couple. We tease each other about stuff regularly and we do pull practical jokes on each other occasionally. But - and I stress this - I would never in a million years do anything that would inflict physical pain on her.

Anyway, while I was dozing off in front of the TV, I felt something briefly touch my hand. Followed a sharp jolt that went through most of my arm, accompanied by a softish popping/pulsing sound. My arm felt like it was locking up but I managed to pull it away. I realized that my wife had plugged in an extension cord to the wall socket behind the couch (she had clearly done this before I sat down). One end of the cord was stripped down and the wires were exposed. Once I was zoning out, she reached around, grabbed the cord and jabbed it into my hand.

She was laughing when she saw my reaction. Then I flipped out, shouted what the hell is wrong with you. When she realized in wasn’t laughing with her, she got angry instead. She told me that I’m behaving like a brat and taking it way too seriously. I did not let up and so far, I have refused to pretend that it’s all okay, she keeps asking if I’m still mad and I keep saying yes. This happened about 36 hours ago. I keep telling her that she went way too far and she keeps insisting that I’m being dramatic and hysterical.

Those of you who are married or live with your partner, is this...reasonable? If your wife or husband pulled a “prank” like this would you laugh it off?

TL;DR my wife touched me with an exposed, live electrical cable and can’t understand why I’m angry about it.

Here's a fun prank to play on someone you love!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Bramble posted:

nice save on the failed murder attempt tho

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I think the thing for me is that his family is absolutely supporting his right to cut grandpa off.

OP says it was the grandfather improperly starting a bonfire, so careless but maybe not negligant?

Either way the kid has probably been bullied and mocked his entire life and wants to lash out, the best thing possible is just to allow him to cut off the grandfather and let everyone else maintain contact and not bring it up in front of him. There's no good decision for this when dealing with an angry and emotional 16 yr old.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Myself, a straight man, (25M) doesn't know how to cope with losing the gay best friend (26M) that I love but don't want a relationship with. How can I move on?

quote:

I (25M) first met him (26M) five years ago online. We instantly clicked. At the time I was in the middle of college & was thinking about experimenting with men. We broke up after I admitted my love for him (which wasn't reciprocated at the time) and we've talked on and off over the years and had our shares of new people we date. He's stayed single while I have had a number of girlfriends or women whom I've dated.

In that time I've realized I'm neither bisexual nor am I attracted to men. But everytime we reconnect, that spark comes up because our personalities just perfectly mesh. It's been hard lately since we've been consistently talking for almost a year now, staying just friends, but realizing this isn't going anywhere he's chosen to distance himself from me. For context as well, following our first reconnection, he told me he loves me and to this day will acknowledge he still loves me (and knows I'll always love him).

Personally, I feel a part of me is lost because our conversations are cold and I know I cannot give him what he wants. I physically desire a woman, and my own children, yet he's the temptation that's kept me single for many, many years. He's like my best friend, but I also know I could hold him in my arms forever and see myself waking up to him day in and day out. Unfortunately, I'm neither physically attracted to him nor do I see myself ever having sex with him. Plus, I'm religious, so it's difficult when I know I actively want to follow the traditions of my people and their culture.

I was wondering if any gay men or any straight men whom have been in my shoes can give me recommendations of how to move forward from this? It's tough losing this man in my life, and I know it's just as disruptive for him too. I'm at a lost for what to do.

TL;DR: Cis male doesn't know how to cope with losing the gay best friend he's in love with.

You sure you're not gay/bi?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah holy poo poo she was trying to kill him, failed, and "Oh sorry, just a prank bro lol!"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A loving exposed wire is not a prank you loving moron, you bag of turds

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Miserable Maid posted:

You guys should check out the thread, and click on the guys profile to read his comments. I've never seen someone so thoroughly hated. He's such an arrogant clueless idiot, who clearly doesn't understand what "Role Model" means

Speak for yourself, garbage men are strong and humble

not to mention they work early mornings take a nap and have tons of time to do poo poo with you and ( in cali atleast) make loving bank. ide date a garbage woman

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

pentyne posted:

OP says it was the grandfather improperly starting a bonfire, so careless but maybe not negligant?

Either way the kid has probably been bullied and mocked his entire life and wants to lash out, the best thing possible is just to allow him to cut off the grandfather and let everyone else maintain contact and not bring it up in front of him. There's no good decision for this when dealing with an angry and emotional 16 yr old.

big unsecured, unsupervised bonfire around kids wrapped in what sound like polyester halloween costumes is pretty drat negligent by any standard

it's the kinda thing that happens pretty regularly, or at least did when I was a kid, but it also uh killed kids or put them in the hospital pretty regularly, so

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Frog Act posted:

Boyfriend has a friend that he is committed to financially supporting and living with for the rest of his life

This is something to be celebrated. They basically have a baked-in, guaranteed garden hermit arrangement. Not a lot of folks can claim that in 2019.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure but think I hate the grandpa because why do you have to light a bonfire at all when there are little kids running around, and what has he done to apologize to the grandson or repair the relationship with him? It sounds like the parents are doing the heavy lifting here, unless grandpa has tried to make amends and they just didn't include that for some reason.

I mean,

sad dad posted:

He has been dealing with a lot of guilt over the years and has been dealing with depression. He has also been working past retirement and been putting all his money and property in our son's name as a sort of penance. He refuses to go on vacations and a man who used to be full of laughter has become a shell of the person he used to be.

So he's going to leave the kid some money when he dies and doesn't go on vacation. But has he ever tried talking to the kid though? Apologizing? Letting himself be the target of the kid's anger instead of using the parents and therapy as a buffer? Why didn't he use that money and property to pay for plastic surgery?

They don't say much about the grandpa except to talk about what a sad sack he is, so it kinda seems like the kid got to 16 and figured out that his grandpa was a coward who cares more about his own discomfort than his grandson, and now he doesn't want anything to do with him anymore. Cutting the grandpa off would be supporting the son, not punishing the father. I guess the siblings can do what they want but the parents should support their son.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

ad090 posted:

AITA for not cutting off my father for causing my son's injuries?

I'm going to guess that the kid ended up disfigured and he can't forgive grandpa because he's reached the age where he's striking out with girls because of it. I also have a sneaking suspicion that grandpa would fit right in with the people at the estranged parents forum so he's probably been acting like a horrible marytr over the years and "oh why won't my grandson forgive me for this one mistake that scarred him for life"

gently caress his parents should stick by him. I'm not sure I could forgive someone for seriously injuring my kid even if it was an accident. It's not about the accident but how grandpa has acted since then.

ETA: you have to earn forgiveness you don't get to demand it. I'm betting grandpa hasn't earned it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Bramble posted:

Lol. Report that piece of poo poo to the police.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm going to guess that the kid ended up disfigured and he can't forgive grandpa because he's reached the age where he's striking out with girls because of it. I also have a sneaking suspicion that grandpa would fit right in with the people at the estranged parents forum so he's probably been acting like a horrible marytr over the years and "oh why won't my grandson forgive me for this one mistake that scarred him for life"

OP says grandpa is very guilty about it and is saving money for a penance inheritance just for the teen

i think it's valid to be deeply, forever upset with someone who maimed you. it is best to move past it and grow but also i can see where a teenager who is having their disfigurement materially impact their social/romantic life (i too make this assumption) would absolutely not be ready to forgive

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LyonsLions posted:

I am not sure but think I hate the grandpa because why do you have to light a bonfire at all when there are little kids running around, and what has he done to apologize to the grandson or repair the relationship with him? It sounds like the parents are doing the heavy lifting here, unless grandpa has tried to make amends and they just didn't include that for some reason.

I mean,

So he's going to leave the kid some money when he dies and doesn't go on vacation. But has he ever tried talking to the kid though? Apologizing? Letting himself be the target of the kid's anger instead of using the parents and therapy as a buffer? Why didn't he use that money and property to pay for plastic surgery?

They don't say much about the grandpa except to talk about what a sad sack he is, so it kinda seems like the kid got to 16 and figured out that his grandpa was a coward who cares more about his own discomfort than his grandson, and now he doesn't want anything to do with him anymore. Cutting the grandpa off would be supporting the son, not punishing the father. I guess the siblings can do what they want but the parents should support their son.

I had almost the exact same thing happen visiting a friend's family when I was a kid (save that it got my legs instead of my face) and after the bandages came off we all just kinda shrugged and moved on. What are you gonna do? Nothing's gonna fix what happened beyond just not loving doing that again, not saying sorry nor cutting off grandpa nor just sorta feeling sad and mopey about it forever. The kid's already had plastic surgery and is now past the age where he's healed as much as he's likely to, it's not like you can just keep indefinitely throwing more surgery at face burns and psychological issues and getting results.

It's the kid's prerogative whether he wants to be mad about it forever or not and he shouldn't have to see grandpa ever again if he doesn't feel like it, but he needs therapy over feeling like an ostracized freak just the same whether his family ever speaks to granddad again or not.

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm going to guess that the kid ended up disfigured and he can't forgive grandpa because he's reached the age where he's striking out with girls because of it.

yeah, not clear how bad the kid actually looks but he definitely thinks he's Elephant Man and is withdrawing from society over it

quote:

He has requested online schooling for the past two years. He refuses to interact with other kids other than his siblings. It's something we've been trying to help him with in therapy.

He's told us he's always felt this way. So it seems he reached a boiling point.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 1, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a terrible burn on my leg from a mistake my parents made. It never even occurred to me to be mad about it, since it was a genuine mistake. Shame about the face.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Pick you should maybe not use your relationship with your parents as a guideline for anyone else.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Well that's the thing, though; if the grandpa had spent the last 10 years having a real emotional connection with the kid then this probably wouldn't be as much of an issue, but he spent it moping and trying to martyr himself for money, so it's not surprising that the kid wants him to gently caress off. It's telling that the father seems to think they are both equally victims, guaranteed that attitude has been expressed to the son for years and he is probably sick of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thankfully, Pick's parents never burned anything of hers again...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LyonsLions posted:

Well that's the thing, though; if the grandpa had spent the last 10 years having a real emotional connection with the kid then this probably wouldn't be as much of an issue, but he spent it moping and trying to martyr himself for money, so it's not surprising that the kid wants him to gently caress off. It's telling that the father seems to think they are both equally victims, guaranteed that attitude has been expressed to the son for years and he is probably sick of it.

It seems like you are reading in a whole lot here when the OP tells us that grandpa feels guilty as hell and isn't retiring so he can try to make amends.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LyonsLions posted:

yeah that's fair if that's what he's been doing, the OP makes it sound more like grandpa's been involved until recently and the whole no-contact thing is a recent development even for the kid himself

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

therobit posted:

It seems like you are reading in a whole lot here when the OP tells us that grandpa feels guilty as hell and isn't retiring so he can try to make amends.

That's such a boomer way to make amends, though. How much money would it take for you to be okay with having a hosed up face? Maybe this isn't an issue that money can solve, and trying to solve it that way actually isn't helpful at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Patrick Spens posted:

Pick you should maybe not use your relationship with your parents as a guideline for anyone else.

That was legit just a mistake, it's not a pick story with a twist. poo poo happens and life's not fair, what are you gonna do, lash out at everybody else for it?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm on grandpa's "side" if all the information has been truthfully presented. It sounds like he deeply regrets what happened, has dedicated his remaining life and wealth to trying to make up for it, and has undergone a transformation of his own personality over the guilt.

The kid has a right to be angry, but a disfigured 16 year old boy is still a 16 year old boy. He doesn't have the maturity and perspective to be able to navigate his feelings in a healthy way, not should be be expected to. That he is demanding his parents AND siblings concede to him, AND is refusing to even see his therapist until they do proves that this is not a reasonable, well-considered request. His parents compromise, that he can have any level of relationship he wants with his grandpa, is totally fair and appropriate. The teenager gets to call his own shots, not the entire families.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LyonsLions posted:

That's such a boomer way to make amends, though. How much money would it take for you to be okay with having a hosed up face? Maybe this isn't an issue that money can solve, and trying to solve it that way actually isn't helpful at all.

Reddit is super judgemental of anyone saying something like "We have a new daughter and finances are tight, but there are job opportunities open to use where we have to travel a ton for a few years but we'll make 10x as much and be able to properly take care of her Aita?" and immediately descend into call the parents monsters and how being there is vastly more important then anything increased wealth could bring.

I can understand, buts it's tons of stories of people talking about their nice childhoods but not realizing at the time they were extremely poor and one major unplanned bill away from homelessness at the time.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

WIBTA for not leaving the house when my gf hosts a "girls night"

quote:

So here's the deal. I'm a lesbian as is my gf. Before we started dating, she already had a girls night established with some of her friends. I have no problem with this in general and kinda like having the house to myself when she goes to someone else's place and it's important to spend time with your friends. The problem is when she hosts. She expects me to leave the house.

This feels kinda cruel to me for a few reasons. First, I don't really have anywhere to go. I end up going to see a movie alone or something and wandering around until I can come home. At the moment, I don't really have any friends to do things with. Second, I'm a girl too. If the event were simply "no partners" and not "girls night" I'd get it a bit more, but a few of the women in the group dated for a bit and both were and are allowed to go to girls night. This makes it feel just kind of arbitrary that I can't attend if they are in my house, let alone that I have to leave. Third, it is literally my house. I own it. My gf does contribute some financially, so I don't want to minimize her contributions, but I bought the place before we met and being kicked out of my own house does not sit well with me.

So, WIBTA if I refused to leave next girls night?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA for not leaving the house when my gf hosts a "girls night"

Some weird poo poo is going down in that house, tell you what.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

why do some women have such a segregated view of "girl's nights"? i can't think of any woman i know that would be interested in them would have any objection to like, a gay dude being there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Bramble posted:

wife attempted murder so what