Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If we're just throwing out things we want to play, I'm rooting for my fever dream version of Stellaris that was a reskin of Crusader Kings, where having more than a few planets is really hard so there's just all sorts of weird goofball planets as you get further from the core worlds, and those same goofballs are the ones that are most likely to have diplomatic relationships with alien races.

BAH GAWD IS THAT EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS’ MUSIC??

StarMinstrel posted:

Ck3 would be immensely stupid considering ck2 is basically perfect as is. The only thing left to change is insignificant details.

I... don’t really agree? Like, just warfare alone could do with being stripped down and rebuilt from scratch. Trade, too, is this weird and awkward system that’s hugely uninteractive. Governments, last time I tried modding them at least, were this giant pile of congealed legacy code and outdated assumptions.

Then there’s stuff like dynastic prestige and score, which should maybe be the same, and you could do something cool with but as they are now are kind of pointless vestigial nothings. Baronies also probably need a rework or a removal, as they never really solved the problem they were intended to solve (counts having no internal politics to deal with) and I don’t know what they bring to the game other than add more clicks to building buildings. There’s some value there in modelling “the church has a lot of land here” type stuff but that’s sort of marginal and I think there are probably better ways to do that that don’t horribly gently caress up

Oh, right: we don’t even have a macrobuilder yet. :geno:

And CK would benefit just as much from the strategic depth in an Imperator-dense map as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Eimi posted:

Yeah basically a CK3 that tries to be bare bones just won't work today when you have CK2.

Counterpoint: they may learn from how Firaxis switched from beloved Civ4 to Civ5 and completely overhaul gameplay. Like you can only play as Christians but now you can be any landless courtier. And all the characters are properly generated in full 3d including bodies so that event pictures are dioramas instead. And the map scale is unprecedented so that you can zoom into individual villages in Ireland. And you don't directly control any army apart from the one your own character leads, and you have physically to be in a place you want to affect.

I still don't think they announce CK3 5 months after a very big free update for CK2. But they might do something like that - a completely different game that doesn't directly compete with CK2.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Its Victoria.

Skippin two sequels.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wait, I get it.

They've licensed Game of Thrones grand strategy game.

Remember this tweet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Wait, I get it.

They've licensed Game of Thrones grand strategy game.

Remember this tweet.

No that already exists :smug:

https://youtu.be/m08Z-oDdvlY

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

Like you can only play as Christians but now you can be any landless courtier. And all the characters are properly generated in full 3d including bodies so that event pictures are dioramas instead. And the map scale is unprecedented so that you can zoom into individual villages in Ireland. And you don't directly control any army apart from the one your own character leads, and you have physically to be in a place you want to affect.

I have these kinds of fantasies too but I think mount and blade is probably the closest we are going to get to this rather than anything from paradox.

My main fantasy is a large scale map that isn't split up into fixed provinces, just a single dynamic space dotted with cities that armies can move through smoothly.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Alchenar posted:

Battletech: House Lords.

It's not, but one can dream.

Battletech: House of Lords you say?

It’s an interesting take on Brexit I’ll give you that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Counterpoint: they may learn from how Firaxis switched from beloved Civ4 to Civ5 and completely overhaul gameplay. Like you can only play as Christians but now you can be any landless courtier. And all the characters are properly generated in full 3d including bodies so that event pictures are dioramas instead. And the map scale is unprecedented so that you can zoom into individual villages in Ireland. And you don't directly control any army apart from the one your own character leads, and you have physically to be in a place you want to affect.

I still don't think they announce CK3 5 months after a very big free update for CK2. But they might do something like that - a completely different game that doesn't directly compete with CK2.

... did you just describe your perfect ck3 as 'ck2 except now you play first person as a peasant in a village in Ireland

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I did not but now I do.

On a more serious note many CK2 features really beg for ability to play unlanded or even not a noble. Half of the societies make little sense for a ruler character, and a lot of mechanics are about you looking at some minor character having fun being an adventurer, joining Varangian guard, crusading, scheming in foreign courts, educating wards, assembling mercenary companies or being a Pope.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Pdox is doing this Anbennar dev clash because the next Pdox game is a fantasy game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alchenar posted:

... did you just describe your perfect ck3 as 'ck2 except now you play first person as a peasant in a village in Ireland

I would loving love to play another version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Especially if it's development wasn't lead by a weird chud guy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's going to be V2, a WW2 ballistic missile simulator.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think the idea that a CK3 would just be "CK2 but with less stuff" is silly. If they are making CK3 they are going to have a better gameplan than that, c'mon guys.

That said...

ilitarist posted:

...this is just Mount & Blade.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK2 with M&B stuff is basically what I want, tbh. Not the battle stuff, just the sense of location you and all other characters have, instead of just teleporting to wherever you're assigned. That and being an unlanded adventurer type.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Uncancel Runemaster you cowards

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
no

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A First Person Grand Strategy Game (FPGSG) where all you can see and hear about the world is what your advisers tell you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like Mount & Blade more, but I don't like first person fighting. I think what I really want is a Mount & Blade game that controls like Sid Meier's Pirates somehow. I like the idea of going out on campaign physically or being a lowly military commander or mercenary commander having to manage a war or taking advantage of a war to get your own loot or land, maybe even having to deal with the logistics of sending off messages for diplomacy or commanding subordinates from afar.

Of course, you put that together with a grand strategy game and it'd be incredibly frustrating because either you go away and come back and everything's ruined or you leave it to the computer and the computer just runs your army into the ground. Which is...historical, since it was a HUGE concern for leaders back in the day that they had to be RIGHT THERE with their armies or their general could just take their country for themselves, and often a state's bureaucracy would wind up running itself with minimal control from its leader who was too busy to actually rule the country.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope Cities Skylines 2 gets announced, tbh. That game has been succesful enough to warrant a sequel, and it's definitely clunky enough to benefit massively from one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Or to put it another way: CK2 but with inspiration from Koei's Rot3K games where you can be a nobody officer and work your way up to Emperor and the higher level you are the more of a traditional Grand Strategy Game it becomes as you delegate power and issue orders.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I hope Cities Skylines 2 gets announced, tbh. That game has been succesful enough to warrant a sequel, and it's definitely clunky enough to benefit massively from one.

I see people building these beautiful cities and I load it up to give it another shot and find that I can't even figure out how to make a highway exit turn into a regular road.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A Chinese Three Kingdoms GSG would be pretty tight, but I'd want to see if they could explore some design spaces that would distinguish it meaningfully from the EU or CK series.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
But, seriously, it's def Vicky 3.

They're just being coy.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nosfereefer posted:

But, seriously, it's def Vicky 3.

They're just being coy.

Yeah it's just gonna be called age of industry or some poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Take pages from Microsoft and EA, they will announce Victoria One, the third Victoria game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Red Bones posted:

If I could have any game it would be this one. C:S is great but at this point requires so many mods and assets to play it to its full potential that my thought whenever I think about picking it back up is :effort:

Has there been any noise at all about a sequel? The game is coming up on 5 years old at this point and I don't think there has been an expansion in a year or so.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 1, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Yeah it's just gonna be called age of industry or some poo poo

Imperator: London

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Imperator: London

Deathmatch: Clausewitz v Jomini

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Now that Civilization 6 has a battle royale mode I'm sure this is the time for Paradox to throw their hat in the ring.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Now that Civilization 6 has a battle royale mode I'm sure this is the time for Paradox to throw their hat in the ring.

You start as a ck2 county and have to collect powerups to evolve to eu4 opm, then a Vicky2 state, a HOI4 faction then onwards and upwards till Stellaris crisis.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I keep pulling for Tukhachevsky in the gacha, but I keep getting duplicate copies of Budyonny :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
100 Stellaris science ships warp into a star cluster teeming with anomalies. But watch out, the shroud is contracting!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also gently caress you whoever though the jump from civ 4 to 5 was good

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I liked Beyond Earth.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Chomp8645 posted:

Take pages from Microsoft and EA, they will announce Victoria One, the third Victoria game.

Also potential titles:
Victorias
The Victoria
Victoria (2020)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Victoria: eXtreme

e: untitled Victorian game

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 1, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

YF-23 posted:

Also potential titles:
Victorias
The Victoria
Victoria (2020)

Vic360
Victorio - Factroy manager
Vampire: The Masquerade: Victoria

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd like a Skylines expansion/sequel that gives you a pretty good prebuilt city and all the best realistic objects mods so you can tweak what's there.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Stairmaster posted:

also gently caress you whoever though the jump from civ 4 to 5 was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo I've changed my mind, I don't want EU5, I want Voltaire's Nightmare: The Game, non stop Imperial shenanigans! Play as a landless Knight who is a direct vassal of the Emperor for some reason! Try and get appointed Bishop of a diosese in Syria!

I actually really genuinely hope that when they do get around to CK3 (which I don't think this new game announcement will be but they will definitely make it eventually) they do go all in on the crazy feudal shenanigans that will make the pretty borders crowd cry. The English king is an independent lord but also a vassal of the French king because he is also a french duke as a totally separate title, and all of this is considered normal and fine.

Border gore is the default state of the medieval period and the game should reflect that.