Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

New Zealand became the first country to allow women to vote because two councilors changed their vote because they were mad at the anti-suffrage premier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Jenny Agutter posted:

New Zealand became the first country to allow women to vote because two councilors changed their vote because they were mad at the anti-suffrage premier

:confuoot:

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenny Agutter posted:

Never underestimate the power of spite in politics.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Spergin Morlock posted:

Were you there when her megaphone started playing Beethoven and she didnt know how to turn it off?

Lol unfortunately no

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Liz Boo!nig

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

liz go on cum town

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

That's a fun read, lol. Page 250 or so and on

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pick posted:

good. it actually did permanently decrease alcohol abuse and domestic violence in the USA. the people who dispute this have always had substantial (often financial) vested interest in alcohol abuse esp among the working class

My great gran was a Methodist in a Northern mining town and would stand on tables in the pub while yelling at all the blokes for being degenerate godless drunks

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
not politics but

https://i.imgur.com/E3W5jDZ.gifv

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

01011001 posted:

it's more complicated because he didn't actually drink the water

How do you gently caress that up. It's not gonna kill you

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

"This is camera twelve, you might want to have a look at what I've got going on here"

"Mother of god.. okay next time she goes for a dip start a slow zoom out... okay camera twelve you're up in 3... 2... camera twelve is up. Ready camera one, camera one in three... two... camera one is up. We did it folks. We got 'em."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jim Carey getting in a twitter fight with Mussolini's granddaughter

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

My god, the succ coming from cspam regulars

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ikanreed posted:

How do you gently caress that up. It's not gonna kill you

how do you gently caress that up is a good summary of the Obama administration

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

General Dog posted:

Jeb seems like he'd have been okay

Jeb ran voter suppression for Dubya in Florida which very likely tipped the election

Given that Bush's leadership greatly contributed to 9/11, the great recession, citizens united and the rise of fascism in America, Jeb basically created Trump

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Oct 2, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jeb! would have probably continued the polite version of republican bullshit where it's all still dogwhistles and wink-wink-nudge-nudge references, but i don't think the quality of his presidency would necessarily be better. for me the main horror of trump as a source of policy is the creation of concentration camps along our southern border, but it's difficult to know whether or not Jeb! would have ultimately done the same thing. i would hope he would have been less openly accepting of nazis and other fascist nutjobs (based on his "hell yeah i'd kill baby hitler" quip) but i would guess he also wouldn't have taken any real actions to stop them, so who knows if it'd make a material difference

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Those camps were in the works before Trump. I wonder how much, if any, of current federal policy is actually unique to the trump timeline. Maybe the trade war with China and relative lack of war with Syria or new cold war with Russia

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Jeb! would have probably continued the polite version of republican bullshit where it's all still dogwhistles and wink-wink-nudge-nudge references, but i don't think the quality of his presidency would necessarily be better. for me the main horror of trump as a source of policy is the creation of concentration camps along our southern border, but it's difficult to know whether or not Jeb! would have ultimately done the same thing. i would hope he would have been less openly accepting of nazis and other fascist nutjobs (based on his "hell yeah i'd kill baby hitler" quip) but i would guess he also wouldn't have taken any real actions to stop them, so who knows if it'd make a material difference

This.

Trump's primary sin with conservatives has been saying the quiet parts too loudly and essentially giving up the game on "small government".

Jeb! would have ramped up deportations (using the same Obama-built machinery that Trump is now using), would have cut down on immigration much like Trump, but wouldn't have done it in such a ham handed way that the courts couldn't help but strike it down, would cut environmental regulations just like Trump, would pursue the same anti-labor policies, etc.

The overall body count would be lower at least in the short term, but I believe that any of those ghouls who were trying to beat Trump would have made things much worse in the long and medium term.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah I'm not convinced an HRC victory means no concentration camps, let alone a Bush III. Probably fewer enthusiastic volunteers for the brown shirts, but this conversation is rarely about the extra-formal power that Trump has.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

Those camps were in the works before Trump. I wonder how much, if any, of current federal policy is actually unique to the trump timeline. Maybe the trade war with China and relative lack of war with Syria or new cold war with Russia

I think Hillary or Jeb! would have done a lot more bombing in Syria. National news shits themselves in delight whenever we blow up the browner peoples of the earth, and all the replacement munitions and equipment would be a minor windfall for the MIC.

The trade war with China definitely wouldn't have happened under anyone else. It took a massive bribe bailout for Big Ag to not literally revolt against the GOP over it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tulip posted:

Yeah I'm not convinced an HRC victory means no concentration camps, let alone a Bush III. Probably fewer enthusiastic volunteers for the brown shirts, but this conversation is rarely about the extra-formal power that Trump has.

They would have been cleaner and more orderly, in the same way that a Supermax prison is "a cleaner version of Hell", and there'd probably be less people in them overall, but ICE would still be ICE and they'd still be doing the same poo poo they do.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Red Minjo posted:

Nite Crew on 11/9/2016: lol you're a milk drinking day crew if you think it's possible for Trump to win
Nite Crew on 11/10/2016: lol you're a milk drinking day crew if you think it's possible for anything good to ever happen again *posts the image macro claiming that they're the fun kind of nihilism instead of the depressed kind*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Modest Mao posted:

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Trump slamming Jeb! by stating the fact that 9/11 happened under W's watch was extremely funny

edit: I just rewatched a video and he kept calling it "W's reign"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

yeah it was a reign of ERROR

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Trump slamming Jeb! by stating the fact that 9/11 happened under W's watch was extremely funny

any given public interaction between those two was pretty funny

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hong Xiuquan got refused baptism by a Baptist missionary before launching one of the deadliest wars of all time.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tulip posted:

Hong Xiuquan got refused baptism by a Baptist missionary before launching one of the deadliest wars of all time.

"Hello, I am the brother of Jesus Christ and I would like to overthrow the largest government in the world, will you please personally baptize me, failed baptist minister from Tennessee?"

I think it ties with the Soviet - Axis war as the deadliest conflict, around 30 million people dead.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Modest Mao posted:

"Hello, I am the brother of Jesus Christ and I would like to overthrow the largest government in the world, will you please personally baptize me, failed baptist minister from Tennessee?"

I think it ties with the Soviet - Axis war as the deadliest conflict, around 30 million people dead.

The two parts that make that figure so mind boggling is that the total American population in 1860 was 31 million, AND Taiping wasn't the only revolt happening at the time in China (the Dungan revolt has shaky casualty numbers but the before and after census for affected regions had a 20 million person drop).

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Isn't the "Poverbs" plaque from his house as well?

Yes

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Makes sense considering in 1800 30% of humanity lived in the Qing Empire and the world pop was about a billion.

Historically that percentage kinda bears out for most of the history of civilization. Now only one out of five humans live in china instead of one out of three.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Modest Mao posted:

Makes sense considering in 1800 30% of humanity lived in the Qing Empire and the world pop was about a billion.

Historically that percentage kinda bears out for most of the history of civilization. Now only one out of five humans live in china instead of one out of three.

yeah, just good illustrations of "it's hard to really think that well about large population numbers" and "the 19th century was really unpleasant in China"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34dJ7nheBaw

also when alex stayed up till 4 in the morning for that assange conference lmao

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
AQUA BUDDHA

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

Ancient European historians: A million people fought at this battle in Europe/Asia Minor/the Levant!
Modern historians: It was probably 50k at most

Ancient Chinese historians: A million people fought at this battle in <ancient Chinese state>
Modern historians: Yeah, that sounds about right

It's nuts just how continually populous ancient China was

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNS3IgUWIk

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrthOPLAKM

IWW Online Branch has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Oct 2, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Obama drinking the water to let everyone know how safe it was.

Also it was water they brought in since the school they filmed that in didn't have running water (due to lead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

there's rural parts of the country (in PA or TN or somewhere around thereabouts) where the fracking has released highly flammable gasses into the local potable water supply sufficient that you can light the water coming out of your faucet on fire and IIRC the obama admin's response was :shrug: WHAT CAN YOU DO LOL