Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Rip Testes posted:

That does not look good at all.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, that's the tail and a wingtip in the fuel island... I'm just going to hope the fuselage is under a mountain of foam.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Spaced God posted:

gently caress.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Made some phone calls and as far as I am aware no one I know was on board which makes me selfishly happy, but still, I'm gonna go take a walk because this poo poo fuckin sucks

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 2, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

Made some phone calls and as far as I am aware no one was on board which makes me selfishly happy, but still, I'm gonna go take a walk because this poo poo fuckin sucks

So it didn't crash, but was a refueling mishap?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

So it didn't crash, but was a refueling mishap?

My bad I edited my post. Know one *I know* was aboard. I believe it was a relocation flight to an event, but that's all that I can say with certainty

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I flew into BDL last night and flying out tomorrow, should be interesting to see what’s going on when I get there tomorrow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

My bad I edited my post. Know one *I know* was aboard. I believe it was a relocation flight to an event, but that's all that I can say with certainty

Oh. Was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

poo poo that plane would visit my home airport every year. I hope at least some of the people on board are okay. :(

I hope everyone aboard is safe.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh. Was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Yeah no I'm fairly certain that airframe is gone

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

From what I've read it sounds like the #4 engine stopped working and they returned to Bradley. Three crew, 10 pax, and this unofficial report says 2 have died.
https://www.courant.com/breaking-ne...sdiu-story.html

quote:

While there is no official word on the number of deaths, sources say at least two people have died and three others have critical injuries. The plane was one of five at the airport for the Wings of Freedom tour.
Thirteen people on board, the pilot, the co-pilot, an attendant and 10 passengers, state officials said at an early-afternoon press conference. One person in a maintenance building also was injured.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Aargh posted:

And an internal view of that RAAF C-17

https://youtu.be/sxSyKSR_c3g

Huh always assumed it had a yoke since it's Boeing and a transport plane..

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Huh always assumed it had a yoke since it's Boeing and a transport plane..

It's a Boeing in the same way the F-15 and F-18 are Boeings

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

AzureSkys posted:

From what I've read it sounds like the #4 engine stopped working and they returned to Bradley. Three crew, 10 pax, and this unofficial report says 2 have died.
https://www.courant.com/breaking-ne...sdiu-story.html

Reports now are that the airplane had some kind of mechanical issue in flight, came back to the airport, lost directional control on landing, and crashed into the airport deicing facility.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Death toll up to 5 now

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Death toll up to 5 now

On article I read reported that some of the people taken to the hospital were 'unrecognizable' from injuries.

Not sounding good.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I think I read there were 13 souls aboard and six of those were in the hospital. The math is simple and sad.

It also gives me pause to taking a warbird flight ever. Is that a foolish fear as these planes age and the airworthiness relies on the good graces of donations?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rip Testes posted:

I think I read there were 13 souls aboard and six of those were in the hospital. The math is simple and sad.

It also gives me pause to taking a warbird flight ever. Is that a foolish fear as these planes age and the airworthiness relies on the good graces of donations?

These planes were never the safest things back in the day either. Piston airliners and bombers had engine and other major failures with alarming regularity by modern standards.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Rip Testes posted:

Taking a warbird flight is certainly more risky than taking the bus to McDonalds for a cup of coffee. The question is, whether the experience is worth the extra risk. I'd think for most people posting here, the answer would still be unreservedly yes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

hobbesmaster posted:

These planes were never the safest things back in the day either. Piston airliners and bombers had engine and other major failures with alarming regularity by modern standards.

That's one reason for the 4 motors. While not carrying a bomb load, the B-17 should fly just fine on any two engines. The plane has enough lift, that the takeoff procedure is to just floor it till it takes off.

Now we have several things going against them. they're running the motors "severely detuned" because they cant' get 115 octane. Also, I suspect those pilots aren't... on their A game. Through age, and potentially lack of practice, I bet there's a fair amount of "uh what's the smart thing to do.." in the case of an emergency.

If this were a simple engine out, even multi engine out, the landing should have been uneventful.

I wonder if there's video.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
RIP 9-0-9 :(

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Comanche 2.0!

VERSATILE. LETHAL. SUSTAINABLE. BELL

http://news.bellflight.com/en-US/182601-versatile-lethal-sustainable-bell-announces-360-invictus-for-u-s-army-fara-competition

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

joat mon posted:

Taking a warbird flight is certainly more risky than taking the bus to McDonalds for a cup of coffee. The question is, whether the experience is worth the extra risk. I'd think for most people posting here, the answer would still be unreservedly yes.

I've flown on Aluminum Overcast and I'd do it again.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

We were at an airshow a few years back, and the weather was too bad for rides so we got to tour it on the ground. I got a ton of photos inside and out.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a sad day and what rotten luck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Invictus" is a stupid name but that's a great looking chopper right there.

I wonder if we'll ever find out any real information about the stealth Blackhawks from the bin Laden raid?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"fire mission, over"

"fire mission, out"

"get that laser outta my face"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

"Invictus" is a stupid name but that's a great looking chopper right there.

I wonder if we'll ever find out any real information about the stealth Blackhawks from the bin Laden raid?

Wait long enough and the president will probably tweet some pix.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:sadday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cML_n9e5cM

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
It is in extremely poor taste, but someone is inevitably going to photoshop a lone AOA sensor onto the side of a B17

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

RIP 9-o-9.

I flew on FIFI, knew the risk, and couldn't think of a better way to go if that was the day. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

7 confirmed dead, 9 injured (6 on the plane and 3 on the ground)

2 of the injured on the plane are Simsbury, CT firefighters, another was a CT Air National Guardsman (CTANG is based at Bradley)

https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Firefighters-Respond-to-Incident-Involving-Plane-at-Bradley-Airport-561969581.html

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

It is in extremely poor taste, but someone is inevitably going to photoshop a lone AOA sensor onto the side of a B17

I've already seen a post (elsewhere) jokingly explain it as the fault of MCAS. So, yeah.

I was literally reading about nine-o-nine a few nights ago, I swear, but I can't find it in my history or my searches or anywhere and it's driving me a bit crazy. (I found that "joke" while searching for posts trying to locate the post i saw a few days ago.) It was one of the tour videos and I hit up wikipedia for info instead, meaning to watch the video later.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Spaced God posted:

gently caress.

Go easy old girl.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It's too soon, too appropriate, and I've posted it before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uZoTDFs4M

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
How many B17s are still air worthy? IIRC we lost another one to fire just a few years ago... it seems like before long there will be none flying.

This crash happened locally to me and I had even debated buying myself and my dad a flight. I feel so sad for those people who were just out to enjoy such an awesome piece of history.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

a dingus posted:

How many B17s are still air worthy? IIRC we lost another one to fire just a few years ago... it seems like before long there will be none flying.

This crash happened locally to me and I had even debated buying myself and my dad a flight. I feel so sad for those people who were just out to enjoy such an awesome piece of history.

9. I believe there are 2 undergoing restoration to airworthiness (Desert Rat, Champaign Lady)

Edit: took one out of the list

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 3, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have noticed, when fooling around with the systems in military airplanes in DCS, that most fighter jets don't seem to have a way to tune into VORs or NDBs -- just TACAN or whatever the Russian equivalent is called (RSBK or something).

Why is this? Do military jets just not use the civilian radio nav system as a matter of policy? Is it too easy to spoof those signals to make them worth trusting? Is it considered that TACAN, AWACS and INS are good enough to not need the civilian systems as a backup? Or is it just that DCS isn't modeling the systems correctly, military jets do have the ability to tune VORs, and this whole question is pointless?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I have noticed, when fooling around with the systems in military airplanes in DCS, that most fighter jets don't seem to have a way to tune into VORs or NDBs -- just TACAN or whatever the Russian equivalent is called (RSBK or something).

Why is this? Do military jets just not use the civilian radio nav system as a matter of policy? Is it too easy to spoof those signals to make them worth trusting? Is it considered that TACAN, AWACS and INS are good enough to not need the civilian systems as a backup? Or is it just that DCS isn't modeling the systems correctly, military jets do have the ability to tune VORs, and this whole question is pointless?

DCS doesn't have VORs modeled at all for some reason. I assume that they figure its not very relevant because they'd be VORTAC stations if the US military is allied and anywhere nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Most Fighters do have VOR, etc.