Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's like people read a rough outline of a novel and it sounded awesome but now they to wait and read through finished product bit by bit.

By the same logic, you could call the manga a rough outline for the anime, but even if that were true it doesn't mean you have to prefer it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

By the same logic, you could call the manga a rough outline for the anime, but even if that were true it doesn't mean you have to prefer it.
Oh certainly not, my point wasn't that one was better than the other, I was just expressing a theory as to why non-ONE readers might be responding more favorably to stuff like the Tournament arc.

But to your point, anime and manga are different mediums so I wouldn't compare the two. I can only compare ONE and Murata's versions because ONE is involved in both so one really is an expanded version of the other. To call any manga just an outline of its anime is an insult to the manga. That's like saying books are outlines of movies, they're adaptations not the same thing.

And that's just in general, if you compare, for example, One Punch S2 to the manga it becomes downright offensive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

But to your point, anime and manga are different mediums so I wouldn't compare the two. I can only compare ONE and Murata's versions because ONE is involved in both so one really is an expanded version of the other. To call any manga just an outline of its anime is an insult to the manga. That's like saying books are outlines of movies, they're adaptations not the same thing.

The manga is an adaptation of the webcomic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 3, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I vastly prefer the webcomic to the manga but I also prefer even more to have OPM instead of not having OPM so if having Murata's insanely powerful drawings consistently multiple times a year is the road to that I'll take it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's like people read a rough outline of a novel and it sounded awesome but now they to wait and read through finished product bit by bit. They know what happens and they're impatient to get to the good parts and the bits that got added in-between don't excite them as much because they know what is and isn't relevant to the upcoming plot twists or epic moments or whatever.

Obviously not everyone is like that, people can have legitimate grievances with the pacing, but I feel like that's where a lot of it comes from. It's definitely why I stopped watching the One Piece anime for example, I know what happens and I can't sit through poo poo pacing and awful filler waiting for the parts I want to see.

As you haven’t read the webcomic, trust me that this is not really the reason at all. No one in the other thread complains about the new Metal Bat chapters, or new best girl Mizuki, which were completely original stuff.

The problem is we can see events that happened in both versions, and judge the webcomic version was better. (The flashy flash fight, the child emperor fight, etc.) Or we can see brand new material that’s clearly not as good, like the tournament arc.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

The manga is an adaptation of the webcomic.
It's the same story written by the same author, only expanded and drawn by a different artist. It's not a take on the original, it's the original but bigger. Its an adaptation but it's clearly different than a completely different person or staff doing their take on source material.

Billzasilver posted:

As you haven’t read the webcomic, trust me that this is not really the reason at all. No one in the other thread complains about the new Metal Bat chapters, or new best girl Mizuki, which were completely original stuff.

The problem is we can see events that happened in both versions, and judge the webcomic version was better. (The flashy flash fight, the child emperor fight, etc.) Or we can see brand new material that’s clearly not as good, like the tournament arc.
Isn't this in line with what I said? I'm not saying webcomic readers universally like or dislike the new content, I said as much in my initial post. But every one is certainly consciously or unconsciously judging the new content by the old which is going to contribute to how and why they dislike this or that.

I, for example, liked the tournament a lot. Other readers might not but my point is that SOME webcomic readers might have reacted more negatively to it than they would have normally because the lack of core plot progress and slow chapter release schedule was exacerbated by them knowing what comes next is being delayed because of it.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Elentor posted:

Honestly I vastly prefer the webcomic to the manga but I also prefer even more to have OPM instead of not having OPM so if having Murata's insanely powerful drawings consistently multiple times a year is the road to that I'll take it.

Same.

The actual difference is not good art/bad art, but Murata spending more time making stuff looking cool/awesome; which in my opinion harms the comedic pacing. If you don't care about that or think that it's an acceptable trade then more power to you, but that's what I view as the trade-off.

(And as Elentor said, its good that both versions exist)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

What’s a shame is that Murata’s new stuff can have good comedic pacing as well. But the consistency isn’t nearly as good as ONE’s pacing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's the same story written by the same author, only expanded and drawn by a different artist. It's not a take on the original, it's the original but bigger. Its an adaptation but it's clearly different than a completely different person or staff doing their take on source material.

This is not the case. While much of the plot is the same, the character motivations, the themes expressed, and the context at large are actually quite different between the two. For example, in the manga the Monster Association is a very openly destructive, very public menace, that's being acknowledged as a genuine threat by everyone, and while the heroes have their idiosyncrasies, they are sincerely giving their all to defeat the monsters. I think I can say without spoiling the webcomic too much that this is not the case in that version.

The manga is distinct from the webcomic, it is not "the original but better."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

This is not the case. While much of the plot is the same, the character motivations, the themes expressed, and the context at large are actually quite different between the two. For example, in the manga the Monster Association is a very openly destructive, very public menace, that's being acknowledged as a genuine threat by everyone, and while the heroes have their idiosyncrasies, they are sincerely giving their all to defeat the monsters. I think I can say without spoiling the webcomic too much that this is not the case in that version.

I can't comment on the differences between the two since I haven't read it but we'll see by the end of the story how it plays out. Maybe then I'll read the original or at least a summary or something.

But I didn't say one is better, I said it was expanded, bigger, but not necessarily better. I hope I've been careful not to say that as 1) it's not what I want to say and 2) I've never read one of them so I have no right to make that judgment.

Of course things are going to change when you have, or at least take, more time to tell the story and develop the characters. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the end results and personal preference.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I read the webcomic, then the manga, then watched the anime and liked all of it, and then I walk away to enjoy some other mountain of content, then come back now and then to catch up to a new pile of manga stuff

That’s it that’s my secret

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I tend to disagree, take this arc for example. I think all the S-Class encounters have either been completely faithful to the original but just look better (See Darkshine vs Bug God, Pig God vs Gums) or just outright better than in the webcomic because they were fleshed out and lovingly drawn (Zombieman vs Pureblood, also Vs Homeless Emperor. Atomic Samurai vs Black Sperm). Even the humor and menace still come through because it's still ONE's writing so I don't really hold the opinion that the webcomic is better when the two overlap.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I can admit when the manga is clearly better. I think the rover fights have had the best art and action of the entire series so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I can admit when the manga is clearly better. I think the rover fights have had the best art and action of the entire series so far.

You sure you mean rover and not the cadres?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Rover is a cadre :colbert:

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
People always say that the new content for the manga version is all storyboarded by one, but in spite of that it seems worse, consistently.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

A jargogle posted:

People always say that the new content for the manga version is all storyboarded by one, but in spite of that it seems worse, consistently.

Because you're being biased as a webcomic reader.

Like when Murata was streaming he'd occasionally show off ONE's drafts.

Of note is loving rat head Garou, the hall of stick figures, and the note near the girl that basically says "Murata make the girl look pretty."

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Where do I go to read the webcomic?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

skaianDestiny posted:

Of note is loving rat head Garou, the hall of stick figures, and the note near the girl that basically says "Murata make the girl look pretty."
wow this is so much better than Muratas work, true genius

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

wow this is so much better than Muratas work, true genius

As explained in the actual post: this isn't the webcomic, it's ONE doing storyboards explicitly for the Murata version

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
One is the bestu artist

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

I would think it more likely that just because it's the same author, that doesn't mean the new content is automatically as good. Stapling bits onto a story years after you wrote it doesn't sound conducive to a good outcome to me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ATP_Power posted:

Where do I go to read the webcomic?

Here for the translated version: https://mangadex.org/chapter/55347/1

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I disagree. The context does change somewhat (it's not a huge difference tbh) but character motivations and, more importantly, the themes expressed remain the same. The different context means you can read them differently (the hero association not taking the monster association super seriously, for example) but all the important parts (the hero association are over their heads) are still the same. Remember that ONE is the one behind the plot changes, I think he knows what parts of his characters and themes are most relevant and we can safely say this is how he wishes the story had been originally told in hindsight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A jargogle posted:

I would think it more likely that just because it's the same author, that doesn't mean the new content is automatically as good. Stapling bits onto a story years after you wrote it doesn't sound conducive to a good outcome to me.

I dunno most people liked the Star Wars special editions right?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

GimmickMan posted:

Remember that ONE is the one behind the plot changes, I think he knows what parts of his characters and themes are most relevant and we can safely say this is how he wishes the story had been originally told in hindsight.

This is nothing, clearly people are disagreeing with the outcome of this lmao

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just like it that ONE and Murata are buds and that at least one of them is concerned with Murata's lazer-focus on his work interfering with his health and social life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

I disagree. The context does change somewhat (it's not a huge difference tbh) but character motivations and, more importantly, the themes expressed remain the same. The different context means you can read them differently (the hero association not taking the monster association super seriously, for example) but all the important parts (the hero association are over their heads) are still the same.

The difference betwen "the heroes have good planning and teamwork but the enemies are still powerful and dangerous" and "the heroes are complacent in their own personal power and refuse to follow a plan or work with the others, and this exasperates an already dangerous situation" makes them fundamentally different narratives, regardless of how the events of the plot coincide.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Was that the booth babe? I can’t even remember anymore

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Schwarzwald posted:

The difference betwen "the heroes have good planning and teamwork but the enemies are still powerful and dangerous" and "the heroes are complacent in their own personal power and refuse to follow a plan or work with the others, and this exasperates an already dangerous situation" makes them fundamentally different narratives, regardless of how the events of the plot coincide.

The latter is a much more interesting narrative imo

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Remember how people said the tournament would be worth it so we could see it animated?

Haha.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The tournament arc was worth it so I could see it drawn

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

skaianDestiny posted:

"Murata make the girl look pretty."

This could almost be a thread title

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Remember how people said the tournament would be worth it so we could see it animated?

Haha.

That’s the production team and JC Staff’s fault, not ONE or Murata

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

So I binged the webcomic, and I can see why folks are such fans of it, it's really good. It's also got me pumped to see Murata's take on what's coming.

Am I wrong in thinking the ONE decided to do the manga adaptation so Murata can horn-up all his favorite characters? Cause the difference in rendition for Tatsumaki and Fubuki is something else.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

So I binged the webcomic, and I can see why folks are such fans of it, it's really good. It's also got me pumped to see Murata's take on what's coming.

Am I wrong in thinking the ONE decided to do the manga adaptation so Murata can horn-up all his favorite characters? Cause the difference in rendition for Tatsumaki and Fubuki is something else.

Well originally it was a webcomic he did for fun, Murata, who was pretty well established at the time, approached him after reading it and said hey, let’s collaborate, and they did

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

ONE frequently hides material from Murata when he gets too horny and can’t stop redrawing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be precise, Murata was in the hospital with a serious health scare, and he decided that if he was going to live, he was going to draw One Punch Man, drat it, which is what inspired him to contact ONE and propose the partnership.

So...yeah, it's a pretty serious undertaking on Murata's, and also, of course, if for slightly different reasons, ONE's part.

But yes, I'm sure that part of ONE's decision to accept was predicated on hot Fubuki pictures, even if he had no idea just how far into the endzone Murata would take that football.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Tbf Murata goes so horny for Fubuki because I think he draws her after his wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tbf Murata goes so horny for Fubuki because I think he draws her after his wife

That, and Oda getting roughly 1000x hornier with writing and drawing One Piece after marrying his super hot wife, will never stop being funny to me.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 4, 2019