Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yeah he's pretty much been all about neat pitches with poo poo execution since day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If I'd known that, I'd have started cooking popcorn for Sigmata long before the shitshow unfolded.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

I am highly skeptical of this approach.

Not backing this, but I'm kind of into the idea of landscape PDFs. More RPGs should fit neatly onto my screen :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bieeanshee posted:

What a grotesque shitshow of a setup.

Setups get convoluted when you start with the answer you want to force out of the prisoner player and work backwards to why.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

landscape dimensions and organized in 3 columns per page

There's an AW layout like that.

I don't think there's an AW 2nd edition layout like that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

Not backing this, but I'm kind of into the idea of landscape PDFs. More RPGs should fit neatly onto my screen :colbert:

That's what epub etc is for, because PDF will never not poo poo up someone's screen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Liquid Communism posted:

Setups get convoluted when you start with the answer you want to force out of the prisoner player and work backwards to why.

RECLAIMER; or The Modern Zimbardo

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Bieeanshee posted:

If I'd known that, I'd have started cooking popcorn for Sigmata long before the shitshow unfolded.

I backed, and demanded my money back when I saw some of the utter trash garbo he was farting out. Got it, too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

If I wanted a Cardassian message RPG I'd go take my latinum to them directly!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hostile V posted:

Ugh he's using the exact same system as Sigmata but with biotech and cybernetics and psychic powers instead of Signal powers. I don't dislike the system but it's just such a weird idea to bastardize Storyteller like that.

Also looking at the backstory and I hate it? Like I was under the impression that the characters were fighting against the impending tip of the planet becoming inhospitable, a near-future sort of scenario where things are just on the brink of total environmental collapse and cascading Anthropocene. It's actually in the 2100s (which, yeah, okay) and the environment has already been ravaged, but the melting ice caps has released a superbug that thrives in the new environment and kills quickly. The planet-looters are fleeing Earth not because it's increasingly inhospitable but because they're fleeing the bug.

If he wasn't a centrist dummy there would be no bug. The existence of the bug allows for some absolution of their actions, letting them be well-intentioned extremists fleeing a dangerous world. If he wanted to take a stance, he would just set it pre-tip and make the bad guys' actions be the bad actions dooming the world, nothing more or less. But he's a centrist dummy who, as a friend has succinctly put it, wants to make left-ish political games that are centered around violence because he's most comfortable modeling these things around the violence, so there has to be violence in contrived reasons.

Where are the details about the super bug? I didn't see it in the base pitch, just talk about secret insurgencies being necessary because the rich harvesters have all the world's nukes and would be happy to level the planet if there was open warfare against them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where are the details about the super bug? I didn't see it in the base pitch, just talk about secret insurgencies being necessary because the rich harvesters have all the world's nukes and would be happy to level the planet if there was open warfare against them.

It's under "A World On The Brink" in the campaign pitch on Kickstarter.

Future Werewolf: the Space Apocalypse posted:

RECLAIMER takes place on our planet, in the late 22nd century.  

Centuries of unchecked industrialization and environmental degradation due to capitalism’s insistence on eternal growth has brought the environment to its knees. The planet isn’t going anywhere, but humanity is. The atmosphere has become a cage of carbon dioxide preventing the sun’s heat from naturally radiating back out into space, turning the planet into a crucible. The complete melting of arctic poles raised sea levels to cataclysmic heights and rendered temperate, farming-conducive weather patterns the exception instead of the norm. The human population has been forced to flee to platforms rising above the ruins of flooded coastal cities, or inside of ziggurats; feudalistic arcologies where climate refugees work for shelter from the elements or face exile. The energy needs of this hyper-urbanization has turned the ice-less arctic to a warzone where naval powers battle over oil rigs that stand where icebergs once floated. All sources of potable water, too, have become flash- points where once-shared river basins are fought over and tensions between those upstream and downstream frequently escalate to violence.

If all this geopolitical instability were the only problem, then humanity as a species might have a chance. However, lying dormant in those melted icecaps was a dangerous microbe predating humanity by eons. In the right quantities and under the right environmental circumstances, this microbe attacks the respiratory system like a militarized nerve agent. Not only was it released back into the atmosphere, but the rising surface temperate of the planet has reached a state where it is flourishing, permeating the air, the oceans, and soil. It has already turned some of the hottest places on the planet into environmental kill zones, but as global temperatures continue to rise, humanity is running out of places to hide from it. 

Approximately two thirds of the planet’s population has fled to arks, platforms, and ziggurats; the massive infrastructure projects that began during the previous century. The lucky among them live within (or atop) these structures, while most huddle in the climate refugee shantytowns that have built up around them. Much of the game's action will be centered around these locations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This guy has to be a joke, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

planning on falling back to my local ziggurat when the climate crisis really goes pear shaped. got it favorited on Google maps

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The one thing I'll give him is that a ziggurat is an outstanding structural choice for an arcology.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So if the warlords are able to maintain a nuclear arsenal, why don't they run their climate doom ziggurats on nuclear power? Certainly there will be problems with nuclear power but there are also problems with ETERNAL WAR IN THE SODDEN SWAMPLANDS OF THE ARCTIC. Uranium is also more effectively distributed... surely you will need robot miners due to CLIMATE DOOM but that is a small expense. You can also extract it from seawater if need be.

I'm guessing the answer is "if they did THAT, the metaphor breaks down," of course

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/KaiTave/status/1179902793206792192

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The phrase "Not Mad Science" was just sitting there.

SMDH.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I admit, setting up a script to spam your own Kickstarter is loving innovative in the field of self-owns.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just wait guys, any minute the people who encouraged him on Twitter will show up to back the game and you'll have so much egg on your faces

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

I admit, setting up a script to spam your own Kickstarter is loving innovative in the field of self-owns.

Guess Ed really is a genius after all.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kai Tave posted:

Guess Ed really is a genius after all.

Oh poo poo, he killed Kai and is replacing him on the internet already?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Lemme tell you fuckers about chess.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

Lemme tell you fuckers about chess.

I desperately want to know your thoughts on en passant.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mors Rattus posted:

I desperately want to know your thoughts on en pissant.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Kevin Crawford is planning to release Wolves of God on kickstarter next week.

Sounds like Ars Magica but everyone is Grogs or Grogs with powers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/523178634?ref=dbgnyt&token=0b126aa2

quote:

About
Embrace the savage darkness of post-Roman Britain with Wolves of God, a semi-historical tabletop RPG from the creator of Stars Without Number, Godbound, Scarlet Heroes, and other best-selling role-playing games.

It is the year 710 of our Lord as brother Bede reckons it. The barbaric English have long since swept over Britain, their passage shrouded by the smoke of burning cities. For six generations they have been masters of the best part of the island, driving the native Britons before them with bloody iron or taking them as thralls and subjects, until the wretched heirs of the Roman kings can have refuge only in the western mountains or the cold northern lands. The magnificent Roman cities of old have been thrown down, the roads have grown wild and perilous, and even the kings of the English must live in thatched wooden halls and ride from one royal villa to the next merely to feed their companions. It is an age of darkness, poverty, and unsleeping war.

Four generations ago the English turned Christian under the ministrations of Roman missionaries and Irish monks. Scattered across their untamed lands are the minsters of these clergy, strongholds of learning and Roman civilization against the hard ways of the English tribes. Only in the minsters can stone buildings be found, with windows of glass and artisan-monks fashioning wonders to adorn their altars and reward the generosity of great lords. Brave abbots and wise abbesses rule these strongholds, always seeking to lift their kinsmen from their cruel ways and iniquities, and always in need of strong heroes to help them in their work.

Yet there are worse things in the dark than raiding warbands and embittered pagan remnants. The Roman sorcerers, the Artifexes of old, carved cysts into the world where they and their slaves could hide from the fury of the English. These Arxes were sealed until help could come, but help never did; now they canker and rot, old magic gone sour and strange, and those that dwell within them have been terribly changed. The Arxes burst open within the fallen Roman cities, monstrous beasts and twisted men going forth to scourge the innocent and take revenge for the crime of their conquest. The minsters stand fast against their diabolic power, but the abbots and lords need brave heroes to venture into the cities and purge these Arxes of evil before they can swell greater still.

You are one such hero. Whether a spear-wise gesith, a young ceorl of broad back and stout heart, a wild-eyed waelcyrige-maiden of battle, a charm-muttering galdorman, or even a blessed and pious saint, your ambition is to earn a deathless name of glory and an honored place among your people. Whether offering your aid to warring lords, plundering the riches of fallen Roman cities, delving the dark halls of a festering Arx, or acting as agents of some cunning abbot, you will dare great deeds with your brave warband of companions and win yourself a place in the songs of kings… or a nameless grave in some blighted earth.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That's.. certainly one way to describe that period in time.

Also, if the Wolves of God aren't werewolves it's pointless IMO.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/523178634?ref=dbgnyt&token=0b126aa2

i have 0 interest in this setting, but i will back it so that we get worlds without number faster

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Helical Nightmares posted:

I like the choice of time period, I really hope it has stripped down 'kingdom' management rules to go along with the cattle raiding and the like. In any case it's gonna be pretty great to have a new fantasy osr by Crawford.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't figure out why they're referring to the people of 701 as English and not as the kingdoms that existed at that time. Am I missing something?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't figure out why they're referring to the people of 701 as English and not as the kingdoms that existed at that time. Am I missing something?

My guess is that they mean Anglo-Saxon, as opposed to Breton or Norman.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mors Rattus posted:

That's kind of what I was assuming but it still implies it's a unified polity with modern connotations when it's anything but that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, they're treating the Irish Christians and Roman Christians as a unified group when the Irish are basically Heresy Central for the next 500 years, too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, they're treating the Irish Christians and Roman Christians as a unified group when the Irish are basically Heresy Central for the next 500 years, too.

Which again is why I'm asking if I'm missing something. Seems to me that anyone interested in role-playing during this era would already be familiar or at least aware of the complexities and nuances and would then be put off by the gross simplifications here. If they're going to paint the very cultures and factions in the broadest strokes possible, what else are they sacrificing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Non Angli sed angeli.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I mean it's kind of clear this setting is a flattening of the historical moment- see also 'wise abbots and abbesses granting mystical power.' It's playing paladins in Mercia, not engaging with the complicated social history.

Which is sad because it would be a great era for a more nuanced story, with the various Christianities and Norse invaders and settlers. Set it a little later and you have the Danelaw!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which again is why I'm asking if I'm missing something. Seems to me that anyone interested in role-playing during this era would already be familiar or at least aware of the complexities and nuances and would then be put off by the gross simplifications here. If they're going to paint the very cultures and factions in the broadest strokes possible, what else are they sacrificing?
It could be a "history through the lens of X historical/literary source", like how Pendragon is very much done through the lens of Malory rather than adhering to IRL history.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
If it's anything like the early drafts the conceit is a Falkensteinian "This was written by a local monk in period who was sucking up to the Saxons so they wouldn't sack the monastery"

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The best thing about that is the mental image of a monk writing and running an rpg for a bunch of armed saxons who glare at him angrily every time something is not to their liking.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would be super into that game, like your sheet has a spot for your Angry Points which are when the warrior playing your character threatens the monk and then the story shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Cancelled my pledge for SLA Industries 2e due to the very weird update about how one day you may regret taking the Sterility drawback down the line, heavily hinting at a very bad and weird direction, and the help of some friends making me realize I actually kind of don't want the game.