Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tesseraction posted:

Cuntiness of the term 'glutinous emollience' aside, does he really think Labour MPs are going to fall for it if he softens his tone once he suddenly wants something from them?

No its just so he can blame them when they reject Mays deal again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

She was fine, her questions were pretty short so she didn't get a lot of time in, and it made it a bit easier for Raab (who was really rushing and stumbling sometimes) to give a quick response and then switch over to going "btw Labour bad on this other thing". She was decent at thinking on her feet responding to this random stuff, like Corbs isn't always too snappy with the comebacks, but I wish she'd used the platform a bit more. She tied all her questions together as a theme though, about how the government is failing women, so it was decent, I just wish she'd kicked his rear end more because he got off pretty lightly

she stood up at the end though and Bercow said "I think you've had all your questions" which made the Tories go AHHHHHHHHHH so I bet people are all HAHA CAN'T COUNT LMAO. Raab stood up during her first q and she had to sit down so I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to throw her off. also some shameless attempts to tie the tories to Diane's legacy as the first black woman MP, not sure if he dared make eye contact during that though

This sums it up pretty well, but I think does a disservice to her final point, which was not really a question, to paraphrase:

"I was here in this place when the party opposite defenestrated the first woman prime minister, and I was of course here when the party pushed the most recent prime minister out of office. Would I be right to say that the party opposite is all well and good putting women into positions of power but then treat those women with nothing but disrespect and contempt?"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
broke brains keeping me from work for a while so i've been out foraging for mushrooms a lot as a constructive distraction. yesterday's harvest:

From leftish: Hydnum Repandum, the pale spiny mushroom is what we call it. Next: golden glorious Cantharellus Cibarius, not many still out in the forest but if I see one in the forest and leave it there, it's gotta be a pretty miserable chanterelle. In grayish-brown: a few Craterellus Tubaeformis and in black-gray its close relative C. Cornucopioides. Particularly pleased that I've started finding some of those black beauties, sniffing out their hiding places under old gnarly oaks and other leafy trees

Biggest concern right now is my freezer is literally full and I'm gonna head out picking more again today. Anyway if you're not into mushrooms feel free to skip this post it's mostly about mushrooms

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rustybear posted:

The Lib Dems will have completely hosed themselves into being the party of 'rejoin' which is like who the gently caress wants that hassle after the last three years.

Seriously, what do the Lib Dems even offer apart from Remain/Rejoin? It's boosted them in the short term, but they are kidding themselves if they think those voters won't go back to their old parties once Brexit is done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This reminds me. What's the etymology of "get the gently caress"? Because I know Scots often say "get tae gently caress" as well, but it's not something I've experienced down here in middle England. Is it just a contraction of "get the gently caress out"?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Seriously, what do the Lib Dems even offer apart from Remain/Rejoin? It's boosted them in the short term, but they are kidding themselves if they think those voters won't go back to their old parties once Brexit is done.

Rejoin would keep them going for a long time if the Tories get Brexit through.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

floofyscorp posted:

The chair of my union branch has been fired by his studio for the flimsiest of 'definitely not related to his union activism, honest!!' reasons. So we're making some noise about it.

https://twitter.com/IWGBunion/status/1179653303661207553

Nice! I'm a little mixed up with the game dev unions - is Game Workers Unite part of IWGB? I thought there was another union but can't seem to find info on it at the moment.

I haven't been following much behind the scenes stuff in uk game dev though saw about Alexis Kennedy in this thread (and read various follow-ups after) - but things seem to be...slowly...getting...better?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

No its just so he can blame them when they reject Mays deal again

Figured as such, but maybe first he could try apologising for that murderously enraging shittiness he performed last week.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

baka kaba posted:

^^^ yeah nice, seems kinda brazen they'd do that to a prominent member so I guess you gotta show them you have teeth huh

She was fine, her questions were pretty short so she didn't get a lot of time in, and it made it a bit easier for Raab (who was really rushing and stumbling sometimes) to give a quick response and then switch over to going "btw Labour bad on this other thing". She was decent at thinking on her feet responding to this random stuff, like Corbs isn't always too snappy with the comebacks, but I wish she'd used the platform a bit more. She tied all her questions together as a theme though, about how the government is failing women, so it was decent, I just wish she'd kicked his rear end more because he got off pretty lightly

she stood up at the end though and Bercow said "I think you've had all your questions" which made the Tories go AHHHHHHHHHH so I bet people are all HAHA CAN'T COUNT LMAO. Raab stood up during her first q and she had to sit down so I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to throw her off. also some shameless attempts to tie the tories to Diane's legacy as the first black woman MP, not sure if he dared make eye contact during that though

Nice, thanks for the run down!

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Tarnop posted:

I've emailed my CLP campaign organiser to see if there's anything else I can do, cheers all

This made me realise that I *am* my CLP's campaign organiser. poo poo. I should probably start turning up to the meetings.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

broke brains keeping me from work for a while so i've been out foraging for mushrooms a lot as a constructive distraction. yesterday's harvest:

From leftish: Hydnum Repandum, the pale spiny mushroom is what we call it. Next: golden glorious Cantharellus Cibarius, not many still out in the forest but if I see one in the forest and leave it there, it's gotta be a pretty miserable chanterelle. In grayish-brown: a few Craterellus Tubaeformis and in black-gray its close relative C. Cornucopioides. Particularly pleased that I've started finding some of those black beauties, sniffing out their hiding places under old gnarly oaks and other leafy trees

Biggest concern right now is my freezer is literally full and I'm gonna head out picking more again today. Anyway if you're not into mushrooms feel free to skip this post it's mostly about mushrooms

I love this super chilled out yet potentially lethal hobby.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Good to see the union effort in games showing it has teeth.

Management in the industry was a loving cesspit 10 years ago in my experience, and it certainly doesn't sound like it's got much better. I'm pleased that workers have someone fighting their corner.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Since we were talking about Thangam Debbonaire, she apparently believes that A Woman's Place are feminists who need to be defended rather than TERFs who need to be booted out, so that's not great.

Based on how much TERFs tend to get owned by the American right, is this group calling themselves "A Woman's Place" gonna end up like some "To Serve Man" thing or something?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I love a foraging post. I wish I knew more about edible mushrooms. So you can have a video of an earthstar I made at work

https://i.imgur.com/YSr5Eab.mp4

It basically disperses its spores when it is disturbed, by rain drops, animals or idiots with sticks.

I spent this morning look very carefully at hundreds of nuts in the woods... hazelnuts to be precise, checking chew marks to see if there is evidence of dormice about... work work work...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

namesake posted:

Where's the rum?

Up the backside, for efficiency.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

XR still suck but that result pic is metal as hell

https://twitter.com/DavidSamFrancis/status/1179688013426827265

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would have been better if they'd got it on the actual building rather than just the pavement.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Would have been better if they'd got it on the actual building rather than just the pavement.

falling short of success is basically their MO tbf

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

justcola posted:

Nice! I'm a little mixed up with the game dev unions - is Game Workers Unite part of IWGB? I thought there was another union but can't seem to find info on it at the moment.

We are a branch of IWGB, yeah. BECTU also offer membership to games industry people so maybe it was them you heard about? We're better, obviously :p

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

This reminds me. What's the etymology of "get the gently caress"? Because I know Scots often say "get tae gently caress" as well, but it's not something I've experienced down here in middle England. Is it just a contraction of "get the gently caress out"?

It's more "get to gently caress" in Ireland, just like the Scots.

The English, as is well known, never "get to gently caress"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Up the backside, for efficiency.
Up the rum.

Failed Imagineer posted:

ingcels

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Ratjaculation posted:

I love a foraging post. I wish I knew more about edible mushrooms. So you can have a video of an earthstar I made at work

Just wanted to say Earthstar is a really lovely name. In Denmark they're just called "dustballs".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Solidarity with all the XR lot who are going to get their heads kicked in next week though.

I feel the next week is going to really cause a shift in the organisation because they're already understanding that they need to focus their actions and next they're going to learn the police can never be trusted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are they doing next week?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Up the rum.

ingcels

Lol, stealing this.

E: Jòris Bønsson

E2: Jahaerys Bonestorm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

But then what does it mean to tell someone to "get to gently caress"? Just a rephrasing of "gently caress off"?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

But then what does it mean to tell someone to "get to gently caress"? Just a rephrasing of "gently caress off"?

Yes

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

namesake posted:

Solidarity with all the XR lot who are going to get their heads kicked in next week though.

I feel the next week is going to really cause a shift in the organisation because they're already understanding that they need to focus their actions and next they're going to learn the police can never be trusted.

Do they still have that XR landlords group on facebook?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Go gently caress yourself would probably be the closer expression.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Yes. "gently caress" is a destination point equivalent to Hell, Connaught, Slough, or The Sea

"Ah will ye g'way outta that" is a milder Irish equivalent for telling someone to quit their bullshit without necessarily having to get in the bin

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder how the phrase came to be that way round.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

What are they doing next week?

Attempting a 2 week occupation of London targeting government infrastructure. Police are expected to roll into them hard and the weather will be much shitter than earlier in the year so this will be really tough.

The 12th is proposed as a trade union action day if anyone is getting involved at that level.

Overminty posted:

Do they still have that XR landlords group on facebook?

I thought that specific pic was a fake? Regardless their closeness to all the lovely elements of capitalism are well known.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Whats happening next week?

E:fb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe there's hope for them yet.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Thanks for reminding me about the union stuff btw. I put it off for too long but I've signed up to IWGB now :)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
In Scotland its Get Tae gently caress

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

The high court just hosed a lot of women over but as they're boomers I'm sure they won't vote against the tories for making the change

Speaking as someone with more than a few boomer female friends myself (as a borderline boomer Xer) most of them are labour or green voters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Graun Live

quote:

Last week in the Commons Geoffrey Cox, the attorney general, said that MPs might need to “reflect” in future on the case for having judicial appointments confirmed by parliament, although he also said he was not personally keen on the idea.

Today, when the idea was raised again during attorney general’s question, Cox was much more critical of the idea. He told MPs.

quote:

I agree ... that a US-style appointments system would be a wholly retrograde step.
He also said that such a system “would not be in the interests of this country” and that the government had “no current plans” to introduce such a system.

But Cox did repeat the point he made last week about how Brexit might require wider constitutional reform. He said the supreme court ruling was “a significant development in our constitutional arrangements”. He went on:

quote:

It is important to take stock of the implications of this judgment not in the immediate aftermath of the ruling, but deliberately, carefully, thoughtfully. We should not jump to hasty conclusions.

And the UK’s exit from the EU will have profound ramifications for our constitutional arrangements. I’ve said many times before that I think that does require a coherent, careful examination, possibly through some formal channel, of the means by which we are to be governed after we leave the European Union.
By “formal channel”, Cox could be referring to a Speaker’s conference, a device often used to consider constitutional matters, or a constitutional convention, which was something Labour proposed in its 2017 manifesto.

Hmm. Not sure I like the idea of the Tories doing any reforming of the judiciary.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

namesake posted:

I thought that specific pic was a fake? Regardless their closeness to all the lovely elements of capitalism are well known.

That's fair I should have checked before mentioning that. As you say, will be interesting to see if they've learned their lesson about the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A constitutional convention with the current Parliamentary makeup would be an interesting thing to see.

Completely unrelated, this is your brain on trolley problem memes