Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Could you dremel a slot into the front of the aircast sole so that you can hook the kickstand? That string makes me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heel shifters, explained.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Strife posted:

Yeah I thought that too. Before the first ride I tried to hook it onto anything else or get it into anything and it’s too short to get in the way.

I thought the same about my boot laces. How could they get caught? The loops are maybe 5cm long max and are covered by my jeans...

But no, they got caught on something.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Horse Clocks posted:

I thought the same about my boot laces. How could they get caught? The loops are maybe 5cm long max and are covered by my jeans...

But no, they got caught on something.

I don't want to be the recipient of a posthumous "told ya so," so I found it's actually quite easy to tuck the lace back under the velcro strap after I pull the kickstand up.

Slavvy posted:

Heel shifters, explained.

I was leaving Chipotle yesterday with my gear on, and a guy walked up very excited to ask "I just gotta know man, how do you shift?"

Yep. Heel shifter. Can't wait to take it off honestly.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Well, here we are with Hima #2, just in time for fall beer runs and leaf peeping. A few thoughts:
* Hima #1, right out of the gate, had a tendency to stall in N right after ignition, warming up. I probably should have thought harder about that; this bike so far exhibits no such behavior
* the actual power level in #2 is different and better, which I think is a bigger flag something was out of spec on that other bike. Specifically, there is a small dirt hill that I just climbed in 4th with absolutely no problem; the other bike would refuse to do that and I was often shifting down into 2nd on that hill, not even 3rd.
* I might actually like the ABS. The non ABS model, if you hit the back brake it was essentially insta-lock and on dirt would just start to slide out immediately. The CRCRCRCRCR action of the ABS will take some getting used to, and I am not pushing anything about this bike "to the limit" until I'm +1500 miles on it, but I feel marginally less sketchy about stopping fast on hardpacked dirt roads. Actual offroad may be a different story, but that's also a story that'll likely involve a different bike.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your commitment to riding charming but unreliably lovely motorcycles has allowed me to live vicariously through your misadventures and prevented my broke brain from forcing me into similar mistakes like yours.

Thank you for that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I changed my mind, I am buying an Ego. On Tuesday, I'm going to drive 7 hours to Orlando to pick up this:

After now owning a Model 3 Performance, I'm on the electric train for life.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Good. We need more ebikes here. I watched this review on it and it looks super fun and well put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkNkTtzmXg

Some day I'll live somewhere I can justify an ebike supermoto...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I changed my mind, I am buying an Ego. On Tuesday, I'm going to drive 7 hours to Orlando to pick up this:

After now owning a Model 3 Performance, I'm on the electric train for life.

That's awesome! Can't wait to read your trip report. I am also on the electric train! I take the tram to work...

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Im in greece on work trip and kinda surprised to see this many adv bikes and underbones around . Now i kinda want an underbone for myself for tooling around the City.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Huh. Had never heard "underbone" before. TMYK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a scooter, just say scooter

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is not :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But we can't really go around and say "underbone" about a bike. That word should be reserved for the awkward situation when you're getting an erection but your dong is trapped by the pants, pointing downwards.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 3, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don't insult the mighty cub or it's millions of imitators.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The bike from Akira is a scooter, discuss

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You guys made me do this

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You guys made me do this

According to this, underbones are just motorcycles!

Renaissance Robot posted:

The bike from Akira is a scooter, discuss
  • Step-through frame
  • Floorboards
  • Swingarm-mounted drivetrain
Makes sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bike from Akira is a maxi-scooter

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The bike from Akira is a recumbent e-bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was going to say, yeah, it's an electric bike I'm pretty sure

Electric bike with the motor on the rear wheel and step through design: it's one of those Chinese DUIcycles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tetsuo's suzuka style gixxer-alike was cooler anyway. Applying some fundamental biek principles to the issue:

- less is more (general case)
- less fairings = better than (less is more, specific case)
- forward controls will always be inferior
- round headlights are always cool, robot styling dates fast

We can see the red bike is objectively inferior in all ways but straightline speed and, arguably, sideways braking.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Tetsuo's suzuka style gixxer-alike was cooler anyway. Applying some fundamental biek principles to the issue:

- less is more (general case)
- less fairings = better than (less is more, specific case)
- forward controls will always be inferior
- round headlights are always cool, robot styling dates fast

We can see the red bike is objectively inferior in all ways but straightline speed and, arguably, sideways braking.

Yes but Akira's bike has a ceramic, double-rotor, two-wheel disk drive

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Yes but Akira's bike has a ceramic, double-rotor, two-wheel disk drive

So? How well does an HDD fare over bumps? We have mp3 and Bluetooth for blasting magic carpet ride now anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think that was referring to the method of propulsion

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:thejoke:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just started daydreaming about a husqvarna motorcycle where the fork would lift off and allow disconnection of the chain, and connection of a 48" chainsaw bar to the block. So you could have a portable sawmill that you could ride into the woods?

Maybe with a trailer, to bring your milled wood back out. This seems extremely practical to me, I will write them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I just started daydreaming about a husqvarna motorcycle where the fork would lift off and allow disconnection of the chain, and connection of a 48" chainsaw bar to the block. So you could have a portable sawmill that you could ride into the woods?

Maybe with a trailer, to bring your milled wood back out. This seems extremely practical to me, I will write them.

I will bet any quantity of any commodity that there are multiple, ural-based examples being used in Russia right now.

Oh I got to work on a Ural for the first time the other day.

If you view them as a motorcycle they're insanely agricultural and primitive to the point where comparisons to contemporary bikes are meaningless.

If you view them as a very small, light, fast but nonetheless extremely rugged piece of farm equipment they are amazing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 4, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If ebikes crackled with power every time you hit the brakes I would sell the Rex in a microsecond

Or convert it to series hybrid

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wire a stun gun switch to the brake lights and hide it under a fairing

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Tim Raines IRL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQ95_0Wek8

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Active magnetic bearings on a motorcycle would be so loving cool, a massively complex, expensive and failure prone solution to a solved problem (that would require a conventional ball-bearing backup anyways).

But imagine turning on your bike, hitting the "LEVITATE" switch, and there's a hum of energy and then a jerk and a *thunk* as the axles settle into their magnetic cushions.

Totally worth it.

Add in massive, openly-brushed DC motors with lovely rough commutators for braking and acceleration so that your poo poo is constantly shooting sparks everywhere, it might not be good but it would be cool

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I thought underbone is distinct from a scooter, since one you have pegs and one you have floorboards. Underbones have bigger tires too usually.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Why drivers see, and then forget motorcyclists

quote:

"We've always assumed that [the drivers] just looked in the wrong place or were not paying attention, [...] But our research has suggested something different. What we think is that the car driver is actually seeing the bike, but forgetting it by the time they pull out."

quote:

What Chapman found was that, every once in a while, there were instances where the driver had failed to report seeing the motorcycle and the car, even though an eye tracking device showed that they clearly looked at the oncoming vehicles. But he also found that participants were much more likely to miss the motorcyclist than the car driver.

I've experienced this, but in a lane-change scenario. I pull up next to a pickup truck (left side), the guy looks at me (I mean looks right at me, I'd swear we made eye contact), puts on his blinker and changes into my lane. It wasn't malicious, he was surprised at my horn and waved 'sorry' afterwards.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
the bike from Akira is just a Honda Helix with a body kit

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
it's a cruiser.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I just went looking for pictures of the Akira bike and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ael7gKPw8BA

That's.. really something.

Oh my god there's more. He has a cosplay shipping crate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubdd5duliMU

Strife fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 4, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

the bike from Akira is just a Honda Helix with a body kit

Pretty much yeah

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think I've decided the only thing I don't like about cruisers is the dumb culture around them. Low seat feet forward bikes are a fun change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

Why drivers see, and then forget motorcyclists

I've experienced this, but in a lane-change scenario. I pull up next to a pickup truck (left side), the guy looks at me (I mean looks right at me, I'd swear we made eye contact), puts on his blinker and changes into my lane. It wasn't malicious, he was surprised at my horn and waved 'sorry' afterwards.

This explains so much.

I think I've decided the only thing I don't like about cruisers is the dumb culture around them. Low seat feet forward bikes are a fun change of pace.

One of these days I'm gonna do an effort post detailing precisely how and why Harleys are good.