Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Elephant Parade posted:

Personally, I think it's bad to delight in people's suffering just because they've done something to deserve it. That attitude is one of the reasons why the prison system is as bad as it is.

People are ripping into the prison line so I won’t add more to that.

Getting a visible erection on the suffering of someone is one thing; looking at someone getting their just desserts for doing a bad thing and one thinking “they are getting their due for doing lovely things, this is how things should work” is not really a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

babypolis posted:

Yeah that one is all over the place. Someone pointed out the page for Jennel Jaquays and that one seems fine, with one brief mention at the start and then mostly referring to her as Jaquays for the rest of the article. Seems like they need some sort of naming policy
The problem is that a trans person's deadname is one of first things the reader sees, which can be hurtful to the person, given that it's something they've specifically chosen to disassociate themselves with (and, in many cases, something that can be and is used to hurt and harass them). For that reason, it really shouldn't be in the opening paragraph, even if it's the name they became notable under.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 3, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

babypolis posted:

Yeah that one is all over the place. Someone pointed out the page for Jennel Jaquays and that one seems fine, with one brief mention at the start and then mostly referring to her as Jaquays for the rest of the article. Seems like they need some sort of naming policy

Their current policy is "gently caress you we're wikipedia you can't tell us what to do" which is incredibly harmful. Also Wikipedia is not like, the All Seeing Eye. It's a collection of public knowledge. If it's not really public knowledge (or useful public knowledge, like for someone who changed their name way before doing anything notable) what someone's birth name is then it probably shouldn't be on Wikipedia. But it's impossible to make that argument to them or even get them to rewrite an article without a loving stink about it. Everyone acts like it's just them following a policy that's been well thought out and argued instead of literally making an arbitrary decision and then sticking with it cuz they don't care about the people they're writing about.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Their current policy is "gently caress you we're wikipedia you can't tell us what to do" which is incredibly harmful. Also Wikipedia is not like, the All Seeing Eye. It's a collection of public knowledge. If it's not really public knowledge (or useful public knowledge, like for someone who changed their name way before doing anything notable) what someone's birth name is then it probably shouldn't be on Wikipedia. But it's impossible to make that argument to them or even get them to rewrite an article without a loving stink about it. Everyone acts like it's just them following a policy that's been well thought out and argued instead of literally making an arbitrary decision and then sticking with it cuz they don't care about the people they're writing about.

Id say that not changing a persons page based on their own requests is generally a good policy for many reasons (how many famous ppl wouldnt be glad to remove embarassing stuff from their page?), that doesnt seem to be contradictory with having a well thought out naming policy that is respectful of peoples preferences

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
But they do change people's pages at their request if they're defamatory or can cause harassment. Which is exactly what a deadname can do. But oh, oh, it's somehow different now. Suddenly our policy is really inflexible about this and weirdly it's only in this case that we can't do anything about it. Not bigots tho!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

babypolis posted:

Id say that not changing a persons page based on their own requests is generally a good policy for many reasons (how many famous ppl wouldnt be glad to remove embarassing stuff from their page?), that doesnt seem to be contradictory with having a well thought out naming policy that is respectful of peoples preferences

They shouldn't deadname at all, it isn't shameful, it is degrading.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There is an argument to be made for historical figures of note in actual sources that aren't Wikipedia, since knowing previous names can be important for research into their lives.

Wikipedia, itself? Needs to cut it out entirely. There is a very good reason they're not an accepted source for academic research. They're not an encyclopedia. It's a bunch of articles made by internet randos who might, or might not know what they're talking about. They don't need to be deadnaming people left and right.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There is an argument to be made for historical figures of note in actual sources that aren't Wikipedia, since knowing previous names can be important for research into their lives.

Wikipedia, itself? Needs to cut it out entirely. There is a very good reason they're not an accepted source for academic research. They're not an encyclopedia. It's a bunch of articles made by internet randos who might, or might not know what they're talking about. They don't need to be deadnaming people left and right.

tbh I still feel deeply uncomfortable with the first part as that has a sense of gatekeeping in academia, which already suffers from so many kinds of gatekeeping (whether you're a woman, other kinds of LGBTIQ+, etc.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know this isn't very descriptive or helpful or anything but does anyone know this character? All I can remember is that she had one of those weird impossible designs where like, her ribbon was tied into her hair and they were kinda merged somehow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I know this isn't very descriptive or helpful or anything but does anyone know this character? All I can remember is that she had one of those weird impossible designs where like, her ribbon was tied into her hair and they were kinda merged somehow.

yeah it's called "first year college girl at 3am"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Twintelle from A.R.M.S.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Do you have, like, any context for this?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

RareAcumen posted:

sounds like something one of thise neural network-based anime girl generators did. they do the ribbon/hair thing a lot

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone playing Greedfall? It looks interesting, and the dope pirate hats in every screenshot greatly appeal to me, but I've played a few games by Spiders in the past and they didn't really grab me. Is it any good?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that description is just specific enough that i feel like i've seen it in something i played in the past year or 2 and now it's gonna bother me too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Do you have, like, any context for this?

I'm really sorry, I don't, it was something I saw on some youtube video and I can't remember like, anything. The game, the channel I assume it was a JRPG but that doesn't help narrow things down at all either. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

Jotaro Kujo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crowetron posted:

Anyone playing Greedfall? It looks interesting, and the dope pirate hats in every screenshot greatly appeal to me, but I've played a few games by Spiders in the past and they didn't really grab me. Is it any good?

Its decent. Its definitely the best game they've ever put out and feels a lot like a game Bioware would have made around the release of the original Mass Effect, with all kinds of weird janky mechanics.

Not sure I'd pay full price for it, but I certainly don't regret playing it. Admittedly I'm over the conquistador colonial aesthetic and think its been done to death recently, and Greedfall doesn't do anything novel with the setting and has a lot of pretty :rolleyes: stuff with the twist

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 3, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zore posted:

Its decent. Its definitely the best game they've ever put out and feels a lot like a game Bioware would have made around the release of the original Mass Effect, with all kinds of weird janky mechanics.

Not sure I'd pay full price for it, but I certainly don't regret playing it. Admittedly I'm over the conquistador colonial aesthetic and think its been done to death recently, and Greedfall doesn't do anything novel with the setting and has a lot of pretty :rolleyes: stuff with the twist

I do have a weakness for old Bioware, warts and all. That was enough to carry me through a significant portion of Bound By Flame, at least.

By :rolleyes: stuff, do you mean just corny stuff or do they use the setting as an excuse to go into super uncomfortable Resident Evil 5 territory?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crowetron posted:

I do have a weakness for old Bioware, warts and all. That was enough to carry me through a significant portion of Bound By Flame, at least.

By :rolleyes: stuff, do you mean just corny stuff or do they use the setting as an excuse to go into super uncomfortable Resident Evil 5 territory?

Its nowhere near as bad as RE5, but there are more than a few uncomfortable bits where your character says stuff like 'don't give in to hate!' when your native companion is trying to kill a wounded conquistador dude on the battlefield where her mother just died.

I'm also like 80% sure it goes into ancient alien/precursor poo poo based on some scenes right after that, but I haven't actually beaten the game yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

you could be describing like half the cast of touhou.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The only good thing about that (and it's 'good' more than good) is that they'll get to meet the fun of what happens once those guys turn on them.

I don't know what you're expecting to happen, considering the dev and her girlfriend are getting exactly what they want out of this. They probably really don't actually care all that much about people posting mean things about women or lesbians on Twitter, because... Well, most people don't.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't know what you're expecting to happen, considering the dev and her girlfriend are getting exactly what they want out of this. They probably really don't actually care all that much about people posting mean things about women or lesbians on Twitter, because... Well, most people don't.

The most that will probably happen is a handful of indie networking connections will cut them off and word of mouth for their future projects among the LGBT community will be weaker

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dudes not everything has to come down to some side gaining or losing ground. we aren't fighting over alterac valley here. there's no quantifiable way to prove who won or lost this poo poo because its all twitter bullshit that has no tangible effect on the world.

some devs were outed as shitheads and people who want to purchase or work on those projects can make decisions based on that info. that's literally it, and imo, that's a good thing regardless of if the devs get a few extra bucks from reactionary idiots. arguing over whether we've won or lost the battle this day is just feeding the gaping void in your head that twitter has created.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in the Atelier series and have Atelier Sophie from a cheap Steam sale. From what I can gather, the game is about becoming an alchemist and item crafting. But I can't figure out much beyond that. What's the hook/sell? What's the scope of the plot? How big a role, if any, do party interactions play? How's the combat system work?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the hook/sell: laidback rpgs where a girl gains more confidence via item crafting
scope of the plot: usually small, even when the scope of the plot is ostensibly big its never really plot-driven or a worldspanning quest with a lot of urgency. like escha and logy involves the party sealing an ancient god they found in the ruins of a lost civilization and its treated with all the prompt and circumstance of a mildly interesting deep sea diving expedition, even when they're fighting god.
party interactions: they play a big role but they're usually protagonist/party member, party members interacting with other party members or the party interacting as a group is much rarer
combat system: varies from game to game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm interested in the Atelier series and have Atelier Sophie from a cheap Steam sale. From what I can gather, the game is about becoming an alchemist and item crafting. But I can't figure out much beyond that. What's the hook/sell? What's the scope of the plot? How big a role, if any, do party interactions play? How's the combat system work?

The hook is it's a chill, cute game with fun party interactions, low stakes, and good music. Combat is pretty standard turn based JRPG fare, but the meat of the gameplay is either time management or the crafting system (depending on the entry). Almost all of them are coming of age stories for a young woman.

e: oh I missed that you have Sophie specifically. That's a game about a woman whose girlfriend is a book. All her friends are boring but better friends show up later.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 4, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

RareAcumen posted:

Hina Kagiyama?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have a hard time believing any atelier game was cheap in a steam sale

several of them still have a base price of $60

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i have a hard time believing any atelier game was cheap in a steam sale

several of them still have a base price of $60

There's an easy way to check.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=atelier

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
koei tecmo-published games don't hit deep sale prices until years after launch

the one i can think of that regularly gets the deepest is pirate warriors 3 and that's co-owned by bamco, who do much deeper sales much more regularly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what the gently caress i just found out the indivisible ost is composed by the koudelka guy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Indivisible, anyone got some words about it? I never picked up Skullgirls because I'm not into fighting games, but this looks interesting.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is Indivisible coming out? I thought it's crowd-funding thing failed a few years back. Am I thinking of a different indie RPG?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, it's on Steam upcoming releases set to come out the 8th, so there's not much time left for them to cancel it at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

what the gently caress i just found out the indivisible ost is composed by the koudelka guy

The Secret of Mana guy :mad:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Well, it's on Steam upcoming releases set to come out the 8th, so there's not much time left for them to cancel it at this point.

I must have been mistaken! That's cool, though, I really dug the aesthetics of that game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Indivisible, anyone got some words about it? I never picked up Skullgirls because I'm not into fighting games, but this looks interesting.

The demo was really good. It's Valkyrie Profile 3 but the world is a metroidvania, not a puzzle plattormer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Is Indivisible coming out? I thought it's crowd-funding thing failed a few years back. Am I thinking of a different indie RPG?

when they were doing their crowdfunding campaign, it was set to fail on the original timetable, and they asked indiegogo to let them extend their campaign and they allowed it specifically for them, iirc.

The Colonel posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

The Secret of Mana guy :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also i figured that's the kind of esoteric thing you'd already know colonel, i'm disappointed

kikuta has been real friendly with indie crowdfunded games, they composed some tracks for a goon-made game too, iirc.