Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

haveblue posted:

If you want to feel a little better, remember that impeachment is starting, his approval is trending down, the economy is on the verge of becoming an albatross around his neck, and it's becoming increasingly likely he has an undeniable psychotic episode on live video. None of this makes it certain he'll lose, but compared to where we were in, say, 2017, it's a big improvement.

If you want to feel a lot better, take a long break from this thread and the news.

I think you are disregarding how divorced from reality most right wingers are. They will vote for trump even though his policies are directly screwing them. They will think that the democrats are stealing their votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ManBoyChef posted:

I think you are disregarding how divorced from reality most right wingers are. They will vote for trump even though his policies are directly screwing them. They will think that the democrats are stealing their votes.

This was true of Nixon, as well. Just less so. The interesting question is how much less so.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

victim impact statements shouldn't exist anyway.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I had to look up the sentence 10 loving years? Jesus it’ll only be like 5 max what a piece of poo poo.

It's still a travesty but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Texas doesn't shorten sentences or let people out early on parole for murder. So it's only 10 years but she'll serve the full amount.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I had to look up the sentence 10 loving years? Jesus it’ll only be like 5 max what a piece of poo poo.

Actually side effect of Texas trying to gently caress over minorities in any way possible is that this white girl will not be able to get time off that sentence.

Cold comfort, I know.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

finnish iirc, but they're all snow germans so i understand the confusion

gently caress.

Oh well, "FAKE NEWS MEDIA and I'm going to sue everyone after this is over" took over my brain.

Are you loving kidding me? What a loving joke.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's still a travesty but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Texas doesn't shorten sentences or let people out early on parole for murder. So it's only 10 years but she'll serve the full amount.

Apparently this isn't true and most people seem to think she'll be eligible in 5 years.

So 5 years is the minimum, and I hope not the maximum.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Yep, eligible for parole in five years. TDC gives 2:1 good behavior credit for murder (and maybe some other crimes) rather than 3:1 for other offenses.

The 19 year old black kid that broke in my house years ago and stole my son's Playstation did four.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jaxyon posted:

Actually side effect of Texas trying to gently caress over minorities in any way possible is that this white girl will not be able to get time off that sentence.

Cold comfort, I know.

I think that is only for certain murder offenses. From what I read, she'll be eligible for parole in 5 years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well least there’s that I guess. I guess if we want prison reform then 10 years would be enough to rehabilitate someone but they definitely would have thrown the book at her if she wasn’t white.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Compare and contrast:

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1179750826534952961

Well least there’s that I guess. I guess if we want prison reform then 10 years would be enough to rehabilitate someone but they definitely would have thrown the book at her if she wasn’t white.

Doesn't help she's a cop and a Christian too so the real brain worms came out.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Certain murder offenses?? :smith:

I mean, she broke into a dudes house and shot him, what else do you need to do?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

pacerhimself posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nvgop/status/1179530407919775744

Imagine thinking this looks good for the Republican party.

Luckily they're all pasty white so the cop that showed up at the end didn't have to shoot them.

This is how the Rep party works. Demand what they want, when people don't agree to those, intimidate and assault. It's only a matter of time before one of them brings a gun along

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rent-A-Cop posted:

God forbid they should have to live like the rest of us.

There would be a lot fewer mass shootings if more politicians were seriously concerned about getting mass shot.

Reminder that Steve Scalise got his dick AND balls relocated by a bullet, and yet he is still (a) pro-gun and (b) pro-Trump

e: also I don't really care about PJ either way but I just checked out her rap sheet out of curiosity and lol she has 37 probations and 1 ban in 2019 alone. Truly this is a miscarriage of mod justice

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

finnish iirc, but they're all snow germans so i understand the confusion

Finns are the ones who aren't snow Germans. They're snow Hungarians.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Brony Car posted:

I think that is only for certain murder offenses. From what I read, she'll be eligible for parole in 5 years.

Oh neat!

gently caress this country

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

Compare and contrast:

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1179750826534952961

Doesn't help she's a cop and a Christian too so the real brain worms came out.

while i suspect they're going to eat at least as much time as the cop did, the cop ALSO faced up to 100 (okay, 99) years in prison

Brony Car posted:

yeah i misread the statutes at first and her charge is eligible in 50% of the sentence, with some fiddly bits

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

uh i think we've definitively disproven that stops you from running again

:doh: yep, I misread

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The difference is these cool ladies destroyed something that America actually values

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1179831354361602050

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Hobojim posted:

Not American but have been following this carnival sideshow for the last week quite a bit when I'm feeling bored and need to laugh while being terrified at the same time.

I understand that impeachment doesn't mean removal from office. What is the penalty associated with getting impeached, in that case? Seems like kind of a lovely situation to tell your leader Hey, you've done illegal things and flagrantly abused your power, but you can keep the keys to the country and continue your corruption. I can't imagine fines or reputation would deter him much, considering he's too far gone to notice his reputation is poo poo and he's been the laughing stock of world politics since he was inaugurated.

Also, it seems like the house voting to impeach is pretty likely, but how many republican votes would need to flip to have the senate vote to impeach as well? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding the situation?
I'm not sure what the legal system is like in your country, but impeachment is the "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" equivalent of an indictment, criminal complaint, or charging document.

Essentially, the House of Representatives votes to send articles of impeachment to the Senate, which is a fancy way of saying "we think the President did these bad things." (this vote is just a simple majority). This is what impeached means. After impeachment happens, then there is a trial in the Senate where some Reps say "here is the evidence to show the President did these bad things" and the President can present a defense, and at the end of the trial the Senate votes on whether they agree that the President did the bad things (and that the bad things are worthy of removal from office). If 2/3 of the Senate (67 members) agree, the President is immediately removed from office (and optionally made ineligible to be President or hold certain other positions ever again). Removal and disqualification are the only penalties allowed as a result of impeachment, except that if the High Crimes and Misdemeanors were also regular crimes, they can then be charged, convicted, and punished for those crimes in the usual manner.

E: Oh, the current composition is 53 R 47 D (including two independent), so you'd need 20 Rs to join all the Ds.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 3, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am ready for my countries consciusness to be shocked.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179821913385910273

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179826208940445700

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179831529293385728

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Why does anyone give a poo poo about this?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
If Warren gets the nomination can we get a Elizabeth Warren: The Cougar the Country Needs campaign sign?

Lemming posted:

Its funny.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

dirty shrimp money posted:

The 19 year old black kid that broke in my house years ago and stole my son's Playstation did four.

I'm not sure why you felt so compelled to mention the kid's race here. This is pretty gross.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

it's funnier than previous wohl grifts on every level

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179832199320875008

Going REALLY well!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

the best part of the chapo trip to CPAC was matt christman, about to freak out on an uncomfortable acid trip, finding comfort and relief in the farcical wohl/berkman presser in a goofy off-site atrium.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's funnier than previous wohl grifts on every level

Yeah but like, random idiots say stupid poo poo everywhere

I don't mean why do we care (our brains our diseased) but why is there even one guy showing up to take pictures and tweet

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179833128292163585

Going so well, you guys.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Man I wonder if anyone told them that Cougar Liz Warren pulling 24 year old body builders is actually way cooler than the real Liz Warren

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1179829706251800576

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I'm not sure why you felt so compelled to mention the kid's race here. This is pretty gross.

Because race has EVERYTHING to do with how the justice system treats you in America? A black kid gets 4 years for stealing a Playstation. A white girl gets 10 for murdering a (black) man in his own home while he ate a bowl of ice cream.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OurIntrepidHero posted:

because it's relevant when discussing how the justice system treats people of different races differently. that should not need to be explained to you.

a black kid did 4 years for a nonviolent burglary of what i assume is under $1000 while a white woman who murdered an innocent person will do 5. the point of this comparison is utterly lost without specifying that the first person is black - that petty theft, while black, is 80% as bad as murder while white.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
loving :laffo:

https://twitter.com/space_is_fizzy/status/1179828376166641667

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

This is a poo poo probation. PJJ has had to respond to this exact attack like 20 times and despite being a little snippy, she did so again in good faith here. Calling for peaceful, disruptive protest is not the same as calling for random murder and it's super lovely that people keep lobbing that accusation with no repercussions. If I have to eat a 6er here to make this point I'll do so- you don't have to agree with PJJ to not be an antagonistic dick to her. Just ignore and move on, preferably without accusations of incitement to violence, which in this day and age, is a serious loving allegation.

I'm not addressing PJ's specific posting but it is a valid point to make that calling for peaceful protests and saying the system is a fully fascist lost cause are incompatible statements.

Disruptive protests are reliant on the system being at a minimum reform-able, the mechanism of change in such protests is the system. For the most part the purpose behind them is to bring visibility to an injustice to influence the system to change, even disruptive protests are mostly a manner of forcing visibility upon the willfully ignorant.

If there is literally no option for redress through our current system the only option left is violence.

edit: It's also worth noting that this is the exact mechanism through which GOP has become increasingly radicalized and violent. Don't call for violence directly (though we're now flirting with this point) but describe and convince people of a situation being such that violence seems like the logical/only recourse.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Signed by Q? :tinfoil:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Delthalaz posted:

Man I wonder if anyone told them that Cougar Liz Warren pulling 24 year old body builders is actually way cooler than the real Liz Warren

Diamond Liz Warren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

increasingly edgy