Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lub 2 tap out intricate terminal commands on my loving touchscreen like a goddamn animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have an ssh app on my iPhone that I use when my discord bot dies randomly

it’s convenient when I’m out and about or else 15,000 people start pinging me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did you think all those designers who were working on pc tower cases in 2004 just vanished?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i unironically wish those linux phone nerdos the best :shrug:

in awe of the hardware project getting this far

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I have an ssh app on my iPhone that I use when my discord bot dies randomly

it’s convenient when I’m out and about or else 15,000 people start pinging me

you can actually create actions to run ssh commands from the iOS shortcuts app. imagine yelling at Siri to kill and restart a process

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bulgakov posted:

i unironically wish those linux phone nerdos the best :shrug:

in awe of the hardware project getting this far

oh deffo

but I will also mock

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boiled Water posted:

oh deffo

but I will also mock

as a former maemo device owner ditto to both of these

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I swear some guy in a broom closet office saw the Sarnsung one with the tactical tensioning adhesive coating and spit his Mountain Dew Game Fuel Tropical Strike with integrated accuracy increasing grip and soda stamina preserving reclosable lid all over the box of paper towels he uses as his desk while screaming , “Holy poo poo, Bing ! Bing! I’ve got it Bing! That thing we almost did ! *sobs* Binnngg”

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

how do you hold this against your ear

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

chestnut santabag posted:

how do you hold this against your ear

fold the screens back to back

alternatively, very carefully

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

ah ok so the classic phone call answering method of answering the phone, yelling at to hold on a few seconds and then fumbling about trying to swing it without breaking it or droppiing it.
lmao people love their protective cases and there's no way you can get this thing into one...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Remember when MS pushed “tablet mode” laptops where you could fold the keyboard all the way back around behind the screen? Wow a tablet! That’s impossible to hold comfortably because there is a loving keyboard covering the whole back. This obviously fatal flaw is nbd. Ship millions of them

This lovely dual screen phone reminds me of that debacle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they still make those. the have a hinge design like the duo/neo do.

lenovo, acer, dell, all the oems have a convertible product.

they're all complete trash

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Amethyst posted:

Remember when MS pushed “tablet mode” laptops where you could fold the keyboard all the way back around behind the screen? Wow a tablet! That’s impossible to hold comfortably because there is a loving keyboard covering the whole back. This obviously fatal flaw is nbd. Ship millions of them

i ended up with one of those, i think a lenovo yoga? that does the full flip around and the keyboard on the back is like nails on a chalkboard

even if it ignores the input its like a "floor is lava" situation when trying to grip it in any way to not smush the keys in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the better lenovo ones (i.e. the thinkpad yoga) suck the keyboard into the case when they fold backwards so that it feels sort of flat instead of like you're holding a keyboard.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if i actually held it like i'd want to hold it, i'd be popping the keys right off from the posture of my grip

it's useless trash (the lower end lenovo yoga at least)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sniep posted:

i ended up with one of those, i think a lenovo yoga? that does the full flip around and the keyboard on the back is like nails on a chalkboard

even if it ignores the input its like a "floor is lava" situation when trying to grip it in any way to not smush the keys in

when they first launched they didn't even ignore the input half the time lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the thinkpad yoga really makes the macbook pro look even more batty

a windows laptop,
made by a chinese manufacturer,
with a keyboard that loving retracts itself into the case when you fold the screen,
still has dished keys with at least 2mm of travel,
that don't jam when an especially large bacterium sneaks under one of the keys,
and is the exact same size, weight and thickness as the macbook pro.

baffling

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I still have my Fujitsu life book from 2007, the screen folded over on top of the keyboard to allow a tablet mode without dumb keys on the back.

it was 100% useless in tablet mode

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Amethyst posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

This makes me feel slightly less bad about buying an acer notebook that converted to a tablet by flipping the screen in this dumb way:

After a couple years whatever sensor it used for the screen rotation predictably got screwed up and it would periodically stop accepting keyboard input in laptop mode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some dude in the gray thread is complaining that google pay won't let him use it without a lock screen, which led to this great statement:

MisterBibs posted:

I want it to work like it's done forever. I select Google Pay to pay for {thing}, usually a food delivery, I press a button, it goes through.

My device is secured because it's, you know, in my pocket.
here's his "workaround":

MisterBibs posted:

Reading is a skill, I mentioned that the only time I'm using Google Pay and it demands a lock screen is with food deliveries. I've gotten in the habit of loading the lock screen settings before opening up the delivery app so I can get some semblance of functionality back.

I'd say a third of the time, I get the "you need a pointless level of security" message after the payment has gone through already.

Broken functionality occasionally requires esoteric fixes. I was just looking for a better solution to the error than the one I was using.

Like I said, what's the point of it needing a lock screen when there would be no point during the activity where I'd see a lock screen?
surprisingly, everyone is telling him he's an idiot

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bibs is a treasure. never stop posting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

some dude in the gray thread is complaining that google pay won't let him use it without a lock screen, which led to this great statement:

here's his "workaround":

surprisingly, everyone is telling him he's an idiot

the guy is an idiot etc but if I’m understanding correctly this means that google pay biometric authentication is a sham and not actually tied to the payment transaction.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The Management posted:

the guy is an idiot etc but if I’m understanding correctly this means that google pay biometric authentication is a sham and not actually tied to the payment transaction.

Google pay doesn't have biometric authentication nor it claims to for payments, it does for sending money.

How it works is that up to a certain amount it can be used without unlocking and the bank is responsible if its a fraudulent transaction, over that limit the phone has to be unlocked and it is why it requires a screen lock

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol, I clicked over to the thread and I had added him to ignore already.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
it would be nice if you could set a passcode and/or biometric for EMV payments and changing your icloud settings and poo poo, but not have to have to authenticate just to unlock

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

lol, I clicked over to the thread and I had added him to ignore already.

drat your badass

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
:clint:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/leftoblique/status/1179476277549400064

:ghost:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

doing a walk and talk with Google music and pointedly taking a route past the graveyard

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
The android guy got tired of explaining his dick to women so he made a phone that looked like one

https://twitter.com/Arubin/status/1181688574975983616

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jimmy Carter posted:

The android guy got tired of explaining his dick to women so he made a phone that looked like one
i showed your my dickphone (pls respond)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

https://twitter.com/Arubin/status/1181688574975983616
Oh good it's real now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBP18nrRdw

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

how is andy roid’s company still in business after that last disaster phone? oh yeah, it’s because he got a $90 million dollar severance check from google to leave and cover up his sexual harassment claims.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thinking he's spending and losing his own money, how quaint. (330m in VC, per Crunchbase)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

how is andy roid’s company still in business after that last disaster phone? oh yeah, it’s because he got a $90 million dollar severance check from google to leave and cover up his sexual harassment claims.

https://twitter.com/justkelly_ok/status/1181702416938364929?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've discovered a fun bug where if I sync my anroid to our work pool cars, my phone stubbornly tries to re-connect to that car any time I turn bluetooth on as priority over every other device. It will also keep trying to re-connect periodically and will randomly trip over its own feet doing so, cutting off my headphones and switching to blasting whatever embarrassing poo poo I was listening to out of the phone speaker.

Honestly not sure if I should blame Google or VW/Skoda for this one. :thumbsup: