Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You all are thinking of the Borg as being top-down designed. I mean, obviously they were by writers, but in their reality they evolved and assimilated and evolution leads to things being good enough but often redundant, vestigial, inefficient, or just generally rear end-backwards.

They aren't a supreme perfect rationality, even though that's what they strive and claim to be. They're a space incel shouting DEBATE ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

They aren't a supreme perfect rationality, even though that's what they strive and claim to be. They're a space incel shouting DEBATE ME

So much for the tolerant Federation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/dada78641/status/1179462125636509703

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

You all are thinking of the Borg as being top-down designed. I mean, obviously they were by writers, but in their reality they evolved and assimilated and evolution leads to things being good enough but often redundant, vestigial, inefficient, or just generally rear end-backwards.

Pretty much every race they've assimilated walks around doing boop-beep button presses on physical systems, maybe they're literally unable to fathom anything beyond what they've taken in. Your read makes a lot of sense for what we see.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Borg would probably be better off just lining up brains in jars, because they'd still accomplish the same goals doing that, so there's something else driving their decision making processes.

MAMIL
Sep 2, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Corporeal bodies are a legacy feature.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Well I mean, they'd need physical bodies for assimilation, physical maintenance of damaged parts or replacement pieces, stuff like that. But the actual operations side of the ship wouldn't need any kind of interface devices at all. I think there's a time in Seven's introductory episode where someone tells her they need to change course, and she pauses for a second and says "it is done." If you have a hivemind connected to your spaceship, you can just think what you need the ship to do, have it fucktuple checked by however many other drones are on it, and then have the ship do it; but if a weapon is exploded you'd need a few of them to actually go outside and attach a new one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Beaming over canisters full of nanoprobes and remotely controlled robot arms get both things done.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All these suggestions prove is that the Borg need to assimilate more humans.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It seems like the Borg would be better off just controlling fully robotic drones instead of dispatching half humanoid cyborgs to perform every task where a body is needed, right?

So one could imagine they value the flesh more than they let on, which could fansplain a lot of the behavior we see later in the series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Borg are body horror to us, but going full brains in jars and robots and no-buttans is horror to them.

Self preservation is strong in any evolved life and theirs is inherently cybernetic. They don't seem good at thinking outside the cube

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

They've been trying, but there's this one bald rear end in a top hat who keeps loving it up for them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It seems like the Borg would be better off just controlling fully robotic drones instead of dispatching half humanoid cyborgs to perform every task where a body is needed, right?

So one could imagine they value the flesh more than they let on, which could fansplain a lot of the behavior we see later in the series.
They probably go for durability rather than absolute efficiency on some arbitrary scale. If some clever alien inserts a death virus probe into their systems and crashes their computers, it is plausible that the cube could be saved by drones that retain most of their organic capacities activating.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

Your root beer will adapt to service us.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always liked the touch that Borg even go around collecting their dead. They aren't pure logic beep boop robots, they really believe in themselves and their cause.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Senor Tron posted:

I always liked the touch that Borg even go around collecting their dead. They aren't pure logic beep boop robots, they really believe in themselves and their cause.

I thought collecting the dead was done for conservation of resources, as the various components could be reused or recycled for other purposes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought collecting the dead was done for conservation of resources, as the various components could be reused or recycled for other purposes.

Or to protect their network

But it's never really clear. It can, of course, be multiple things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget that in Q Who the Borg regenerated their ship with the sheer psychic power of thousands of minds acting as one. It's not like they ever had a coherent single design from a writing standpoint.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Or to protect their network

Don't give a potential enemy a chance to adapt to you, that's thinkin' with the collective

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, so a horny betazoid is sexually harassing Odo, talking about how he is ideal for her because she likes to manipulate her partners. She then bring up his race and how she wants to gently caress someone of his race. She is inappropriately touching him without consent and he is super uncomfortable and makes an excuse to leave the situation. He then goes to Sisko to report the sexual harassment and Sisko is a real loving rear end in a top hat about it. He basically says "just gently caress her, bro." Odo reiterates how it makes him uncomfortable and he doesn't feel that he should have to confront her about it. Sisko is just like "just deal with it."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Star Trek TNG theme, with more syncopated synths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgG1Csx5Fk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Khanstant posted:

Okay, so a horny betazoid is sexually harassing Odo, talking about how he is ideal for her because she likes to manipulate her partners. She then bring up his race and how she wants to gently caress someone of his race. She is inappropriately touching him without consent and he is super uncomfortable and makes an excuse to leave the situation. He then goes to Sisko to report the sexual harassment and Sisko is a real loving rear end in a top hat about it. He basically says "just gently caress her, bro." Odo reiterates how it makes him uncomfortable and he doesn't feel that he should have to confront her about it. Sisko is just like "just deal with it."
Let’s face it, Sisko is not a good boss a lot of the time

He also looks the other way constantly at stuff Quark does that should give him life in prison. Like the episode where he assists the Dax kidnappers in getting onto the station

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

Ending season 6 in my run through Voyager. Unimatrix Zero, Part One.

Now, honestly, I don't think Voyager "ruined" the Borg up until this point. There's been a lot of silly stuff, but I don't think the Borg have come off that badly.

But a Borg drone just pressed a button to open a door.

Why the gently caress did a Borg drone have to press a button to open a Borg door?

Why does this bother me so much after everything else?

Like the Borg Queen is monologuing to no one, and this episode is all about dumb Borg dreams, but all I can think about is that god drat drone pressing that god drat button to open a door.

If you fall down this rabbit hole you start getting into “why are there people manning the conn on the bridge when the computer could do that?”, and soon you get to “why don’t they just send remote probes down for away missions?”, and the entire show begins to fall apart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget that in Q Who the Borg regenerated their ship with the sheer psychic power of thousands of minds acting as one. It's not like they ever had a coherent single design from a writing standpoint.

I... I mean I think we can safely assume those were nanites doing collective work rather than psychic powers

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I... I mean I think we can safely assume those were nanites doing collective work rather than psychic powers

Retroactively, yeah, but nanites weren't added to the borg concept until First Contact. The as-written intent in Q-Who was collective mental will.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Retroactively, yeah, but nanites weren't added to the borg concept until First Contact. The as-written intent in Q-Who was collective mental will.

I'll have to watch it again, but I don't believe that they meant the borg were doing something using magic and not technology. They might not have explained the HOW of the tech, but the implication had to be advanced alien technology, no? I mean, sure, they were collectively willing it to happen, and THEY might not even know how it happens I suppose, but I always read it as Holy poo poo Look At This Impossible Alien Tech Level

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I'll have to watch it again, but I don't believe that they meant the borg were doing something using magic and not technology. They might not have explained the HOW of the tech, but the implication had to be advanced alien technology, no? I mean, sure, they were collectively willing it to happen, and THEY might not even know how it happens I suppose, but I always read it as Holy poo poo Look At This Impossible Alien Tech Level

Keep in mind that during early TNG, psychic powers were advanced alien powers that are totally within the realm of science as long as we meditate enough or something. One of the more 80s bits of the setting.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Keep in mind that during early TNG, psychic powers were advanced alien powers that are totally within the realm of science as long as we meditate enough or something. One of the more 80s bits of the setting.

That dates back to TOS. Vulcans are psychic, and the pilot episode deals with the ship getting zapped, and Mitchell and Dehner getting psychic powers.

Roddenberry was s big believer in ESP, and defended this sort of stuff by saying that it was scientifically proven.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Epicurius posted:

That dates back to TOS. Vulcans are psychic, and the pilot episode deals with the ship getting zapped, and Mitchell and Dehner getting psychic powers.

Roddenberry was s big believer in ESP, and defended this sort of stuff by saying that it was scientifically proven.

What's your Esper rating?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Trek should have kept ESP. It’s no more unbelievable than FTL or humanoid aliens. B5 was right to pick it up and run with it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I like to believe that the reason the Borg have so many consoles that anyone can access isn't for the benefit for the Borg drones, it's for the away teams that Starfleet and any other space faring races send over to them. Like it's part of a test and the away team are lab rats and it helps the Borg determine if they're a race worth assimilating, even if they end up losing a cube in the process. Same reason the drones ignore the away team initially instead of instantly trying to assimilate them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

J33uk posted:

What's your Esper rating?

PG-13

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Watched Generations last night for the first time since 1994, it's pretty good. Better than I was expecting based on my hazy memories of seeing it as a kid. Fun seeing Kirk and Picard together, Malcolm McDowell is obviously great. The finale with the enterprise crashing is some good movie poo poo that they couldn't have done on a tv budget.

On the other hand, Picard's dream family being some Victorian Christmas Carol poo poo was pretty funny. And Data with emotion chip is very annoying throughout. And gently caress killing off Picard's family in an offscreen fire.

skasion posted:

Trek should have kept ESP. It’s no more unbelievable than FTL or humanoid aliens. B5 was right to pick it up and run with it.

They did keep it. Every Star Trek series from TOS to Discovery features lots of silly psychic power stuff.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

marktheando posted:

Watched Generations last night for the first time since 1994, it's pretty good. Better than I was expecting based on my hazy memories of seeing it as a kid. Fun seeing Kirk and Picard together, Malcolm McDowell is obviously great. The finale with the enterprise crashing is some good movie poo poo that they couldn't have done on a tv budget.

I think Generations is bad because of what it could've been rather than what we got - it's a serviceable movie that is fun enough to watch with good production values. Now Star Trek Into Darkness is pure poo poo past the intro.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

I think [Star Trek] is bad because of what it could've been rather than what we got

This for everything past DS9

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I like Generations simply for the fact that it's the closest we ever got to "TNG but a movie" and as dumb as the plot was, at least the characters still vaguely resembled the ones from the show.

It also has the best non-Horner soundtrack of all Trek films https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgvLwdMrFI&t=4288s

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The one exception to emotional Data being annoying in Generations, the bit where he finds Spot is great :qq:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh the first time you see

it's pretty great

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

it's pretty great

This was the funniest thing in the world to me when I was eight

And it's still loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

it's pretty great

Ok two exceptions, that was good too.

The rest of the time though, jesus. When he was doing his life forms song or when he was doing his ventriloquism bit with the tricorder, just painful.