Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zoben posted:

Album cover I just finished

Congratulations on selling me an album from a band I've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chola
Nov 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Congratulations on selling me an album from a band I've never heard of

It's a pretty good band... They're a two-piece I think?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
good art. good band name. a+

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zoben posted:

I keep expecting this to have "ohoho its the fucken wizard" somewhere on it.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Zoben posted:

Chiming in to say this is cool.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chola posted:

It's a pretty good band... They're a two-piece I think?
A two-piece from Iowa, of all places.

I'm checking out their previous album and it really whips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I keep expecting this to have "ohoho its the fucken wizard" somewhere on it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The art whips rear end and the band does too. Tell em to come back to DC

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Thanks all :)

Yeah, they're good poo poo, they're not like huge in the scene but their first album was pretty well-received so go check it out on YouTube.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hell yah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How is their new album?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Opeth? I started out very "meh" on it but it's been growing on me. It's definitely an extension of the sound they had on Sorceress, but it's got a vibe that reminds me of their older stuff, without being heavy like the old stuff, if that makes sense.

Personally I think they peaked with Ghost Reveries but I enjoy the cleaner stuff a lot.

Also the Swedish version is, as expected, much nicer to listen to than the English version.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 3, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watershed is one of my favourite albums of all time, I think that was the last really good one they made IMO
The mixing and mastering on Watershed are the absolute gold standard for metal IMO

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's funny because Watershed is one of the albums that Steven Wilson didn't mix. I agree it's mixed amazingly, but that's like SW's stock in trade at this point. Although his style seems way more suited for the newer, 70's prog-rock thing Opeth has been doing.

Of the cleaner stuff I think Pale Communion is my favorite (well, Damnation is but that doesn't really count I guess)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly I’m really enjoying the new Opeth. It sounds absolutely lush.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: not really relevant to S/D/S

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 3, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Did you post this in S/D/S to get away from the haters?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I know most of their many, many albums are more psychedelic/garage than stoner metal but have any of you guys heard Infest the Rats Nest by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

I think this specific album would be relevant to your interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCTJ76ctPY

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Graveyard, too. Graveyard!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it was mostly the Graveyard thing but I also figured this thread on the whole probably enjoys new Opeth way more than the general metal thread :v:

e: I mean I can post it in the -core thread too but I already made that thread melt down by posting Children of Bodom lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Graveyard whips rear end

?? why did they melt down at that Bodom and core fans is definitely an huge crossover lol. Or have times changed since 10 - 20 years ago.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

We’re getting close to dumb derail hours but I’ve never associated CoB with anything core. That seems odd to me but who knows. Not worth getting heated over.

Imagined posted:

I know most of their many, many albums are more psychedelic/garage than stoner metal but have any of you guys heard Infest the Rats Nest by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

I couldn’t get into their previous stuff even though I love psych rock. The new songs I’ve heard are winning me over though. It’s a great sound. Maybe they will be what it takes.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Oz seems to have an endless supply of scrawny longhairs making good-rear end psych for the past few years and I'm all for it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Oz seems to have an endless supply of scrawny longhairs making good-rear end psych for the past few years and I'm all for it

As one of of the 2-3 aussies in here I could maybe throw together a quick list of all the local Stoner/Doom/psych bands if theres interest.

Imagined posted:

I posted it a few pages back but yeah it loving rips.

I havent really got through the rest of their catalog but "The great chain of Being" of Gumboot Soup is another brief foray into Stoner sound for them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Graveyard whips rear end

?? why did they melt down at that Bodom and core fans is definitely an huge crossover lol. Or have times changed since 10 - 20 years ago.

I dunno it was weird, I know they're not "core" but I didn't realize people thought they sucked that bad, I've always loved them :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyway to get off my own derail, I haven't checked back far enough to see if they were discussed already, but both Pelican and Russian Circles put out new albums and they're just great, the Pelican one is some of the best stuff they've ever done IMO

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Laserface posted:

"The great chain of Being" of Gumboot Soup is another brief foray into Stoner sound for them.

Owns. Link for the lazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5C-ptDEoIk

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have not heard the rest of their catalog besides stuff they play on the radio here (rattlesnake gets a lot of play) but its kinda funny how all their darker/heavy stuff seems to be about climate change/breakdown of society.

I mean maybe its not actually that weird since its hard to right upbeat psych rock about the apocalypse.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I did that too because of Gojira who on their last album after spending so much time with Mastodon went a bit sludge (also weirdly numetal-revival which is now a thing thanks also to Grimes of all people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j03lu6SBR8

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lid posted:

numetal-revival which is now a thing thanks also to Grimes of all people)

:eyepoop:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

full disclosure: i think this rules and am ok with the weird electro-numetal coming back as unlike well a lot of other numetal its aged really well due to its distinctive sound that isn't well terrible rap metal

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 4, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Cult of Luna, Intronaut, and Emma Ruth Rundle are touring US in early 2020!!!!!!

https://music.mxdwn.com/2019/10/02/news/cult-of-luna-announces-winter-2020-tour-dates-with-emma-ruth-rundle-and-intronaut/

I am so thoroughly drat excited about this. CoL is one of the last bands on my show bucket list, and this bill is just drat incredible. Now to pray Master Musicians of Bukkake, Ahab, and Cloudkicker go on tours again so I can die happy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

full disclosure: i think this rules and am ok with the weird electro-numetal coming back as unlike well a lot of other numetal its aged really well due to its distinctive sound that isn't well terrible rap metal

this is the biggest derail ever, but a lot of the doofier poppy metal bands have been kind of pivoting towards nu-metal and it's corny as hell and I don't hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHEq6I2AlQ

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Tonight: :getin:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slothful Bong posted:

Cult of Luna, Intronaut, and Emma Ruth Rundle are touring US in early 2020!!!!!!

https://music.mxdwn.com/2019/10/02/news/cult-of-luna-announces-winter-2020-tour-dates-with-emma-ruth-rundle-and-intronaut/

I am so thoroughly drat excited about this. CoL is one of the last bands on my show bucket list, and this bill is just drat incredible. Now to pray Master Musicians of Bukkake, Ahab, and Cloudkicker go on tours again so I can die happy.

Hell yeah. Atlanta in the winter is not ideal but hopefully it won't end up like my attempt to see Manowar during that bonkers ice storm several years back. I wanted to see a Joey rant in person, goddammit!

One of these years I'm going to get to see Colour Haze. And Ufomammut.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Slothful Bong posted:

How is the new CoL album? They haven’t released anything in a long rear end time. The beyond is probably my favorite album.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 4, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Less Claypool posted:

How is the new CoL album? They haven’t released anything in a long rear end time.

They put out their best album like three years ago. The new one is good, probably middle of the pack in their discography.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Do another Julie Christmas collab :colbert:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Zoben posted:

so is this a cover for the real Telekinetic Yeti or the fake one? Looking like another Batushka situation here..

quote:

EXCITING NEWS ABOUT TELEKINETIC YETI

This is Alex Baumann, guitar player and vocalist for Telekinetic Yeti, with an update on the band, an announcement about our lineup, information about a new record, and necessary clarification on the current status of Telekinetic Yeti.

Telekinetic Yeti now has a new drummer, which I will be announcing officially in the coming weeks! We also have a brand new record in the works that is being recorded currently. Get ready!

A SENSITIVE SITUATION OUR FANS MUST KNOW ABOUT

Recent events have forced me to disclose an unfortunate situation with my original drummer, Anthony Dreyer. I will describe the events leading up to my decision to end my musical relationship with Anthony in the fall of 2018, my tour with Red Fang in late 2018, and why I toured with a fill in drummer, rather than Anthony. Next, I will discuss Anthony’s response, and his threat of a lawsuit for continuing Telekinetic Yeti without him. I will also show how Anthony is attempting to use the Telekinetic Yeti name, which I originally came up with, as his own and how he is using music content I created for his benefit. Finally, I will describe the current status of the original Telekinetic Yeti band we have all come to know and love.

WHY DID I DECIDE TO STOP WORKING WITH ANTHONY?

Telekinetic Yeti’s fans have helped build our success to levels I couldn't have expected, my excitement is beyond words, and I appreciate all of your help in creating this reality, from the bottom of my heart. Unfortunately, throughout Telekinetic Yeti’s 2018 tours, Anthony failed to share and demonstrate the excitement that drives our band. During every tour in 2018 (aside from a couple of weekend stints), Anthony threatened to cancel at one point or another, almost every single time. Whether in the middle of tour or just prior to leaving for a tour, I found myself begging and pleading with Anthony not cancel something I was excited about on a surreal level. When Anthony’s behavior continued through three consecutive major tours, he then described being physically unable to play six shows per week, he revealed that he dreaded our upcoming Red Fang tour, after all of this I felt had no reason to continue further with him.

I started this band to play music, not to beg my drummer to fulfill the commitments we both agreed to. Throughout Telekinetic Yeti’s existence, I told Anthony that he could take time off whenever he needed, as long as it was outside of an active tour. I felt that canceling during a tour was unfair to me, our fans, and everyone working behind the scenes to make these tours happen. For this reason, I notified Anthony that I was done playing with him, recruited a fill in drummer with almost no notice, held our Red Fang tour without Anthony, and had an awesome tour.

TELEKINETIC YETI IS A BAND, NOT THE SAVINGS AND LOANS ASSOCIATION

When I returned from our Red Fang tour, Anthony notified me that he intended to file a lawsuit, Anthony and I hired attorneys, our attorneys spoke, and Anthony agreed that I could continue forward with the Telekinetic Yeti name, in exchange for a certain amount of money. As soon as I accepted his offer in recent weeks however, he countered by requesting nearly double the amount agreed, an amount which is in the ballpark of $20 grand. I refuse to pay that amount of money to a band member that I simply wanted to follow through with his commitments.

PLAYING MY MUSIC AND POSING AS TELEKINETIC YETI

So it turns out, while i was searching for a fill in drummer for the Red Fang tour we agreed to, Anthony was rushing to book studio time to record the songs he and I had written over the past few years, songs that I wrote nearly all of melodies, vocals, and lyrics to, in an effort to record them before I could. Recently, Anthony posted new “Telekinetic Yeti” social media webpages, he has announced the release of a new “Telekinetic Yeti” album, where at least the first 4 tracks out of a 7 song album consist of songs that I wrote nearly all of the guitar melodies to, and he has apparently convinced another musician to play the guitar parts and vocal parts that I wrote.

MY TAKE ON THIS

The bottom line is that Anthony and I cannot form an agreement, Anthony used his attorney to stall me in order to rush an album release before me, and I will not stop playing music with the band name Telekinetic Yeti, a name that I originally thought of, all because of a drummer that couldn’t fulfill the commitments he agreed to.

THE CURRENT STATUS OF TELEKINETIC YETI

Telekinetic Yeti is here to stay! When I stopped working with Anthony, Oscar Johansson, who you may know as the original drummer of Truckfighters and having drummed on Witchcraft's Legends album, volunteered to fill in on some drumming with me until I decided on an official drummer. As I mentioned earlier, I now have decided on a new drummer, which I will be announcing officially in the coming weeks! I have written a brand new record, which will be comprised mostly of songs I wrote with Oscar Johansson and my official new drummer. We are currently in the process of recording this record. Stay tuned for big announcements in the coming weeks and months! Thank you all for your continued support!

-Alex-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm always disappointed by greed but I can understand it when the amounts involved are huge, life changing. I'll never understand people who gently caress over their closest friends and even family members and burn every bridge in their life over poo poo that like, wouldn't buy you a used Kia.