Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flimf posted:

wow, i have never seen that before. it looks pretty incredible.

The Game.Com Resident Evil is much more impressive. Too bad the display is literally impossible to see.

e: OK maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought my game gear was so badass, and it was I guess, but really it was just novel more than anything, while the Gameboy was the actual functionally portable system that you could bring everywhere and not worry about batteries, not to mention it had way better games and 100 times more of them. Nintendo did the full color, backlit portable thing right when it made sense with the GBA and made every other portable seem look like crap by comparison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much all of Nintendo's competition in the mobile gaming department before smartphones struggled with making a gaming machine that was actually remotely practical and affordable, and had games suited for it. Most everything from the Game Gear to the PSP tried to be a mobile equivalent to the contemporary home console, which Nintendo realised pretty quickly wasn't viable, and instead specifically made their portables to be a complement to their home consoles with different styles of games. Obviously the game changed a lot in recent years making the convergence inevitable, since Nintendo also realises they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft in the hardware space but also don't really need to, especially since AAA game development is kind of killing itself with skyrocketing budgets and graphical diminishing returns.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The game gear also took 8 batteries and they lasted about 2 hours. Or you could get a battery pack the size of a Chipotle burrito that also lasted 2 hours and took all night to charge.

Its horrendous battery life is almost completely because it used a teeny tiny tube bulb for the backlight, which never fails to make me laugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you look at Nintendo's history of successes and failures it pretty much all leads up to the Switch. Not that it's a perfect system or anything, but everything about it seems like it stems from 30 years of lessons learned instead of throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks like they've done for a decade.

Dewgy posted:

Its horrendous battery life is almost completely because it used a teeny tiny tube bulb for the backlight, which never fails to make me laugh.

Lol I never knew that. how weren't the backlights going out all of the time?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I bought two GB Boys, which are pretty much amazing GameBoy Color knockoffs with back lights.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You understand that a game gear cost much more to produce in 1990 than it did in 2000, right?

They were selling GBCs for 70 bucks new in 2000.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

If you look at Nintendo's history of successes and failures it pretty much all leads up to the Switch. Not that it's a perfect system or anything, but everything about it seems like it stems from 30 years of lessons learned instead of throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks like they've done for a decade.

That does make sense. Though honestly it's not like the rest of the industry hasn't had plenty of growing pains either, with technology changing so much even by tech standards in a short time. Things that used to be expensive gimmicks suddenly became taken for granted.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

because no one could play gamegear for more than 20min

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

They were selling GBCs for 70 bucks new in 2000.

Yes, because it was an update to a well-known system with a gigantic back-library and new titles being released consistently, vs. a 3rd-party re-release of a long-dead system with no new features or new games or anything.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
And the GBC had a processor twice as fast, 4 times as much RAM and a 32k color screen that could display up to 56 at a time vs the Game Gears 4k that could display 32 at a time and managed to run on 2 AA batteries for about twice as long as the Gamer Gear could run on 6...

Yep, totally equal devices. :downsgun:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

also it looked sick as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There were actually a few GBC exclusive games (with a convex grip thingy so they couldn't be plugged into an old Game Boy), Pokemon Crystal probably being the most well known.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a kid who grew up in the age bracket for the GB as it was released, you had basically two chocies:
GameGear: new tech, so cool screen! better sounds too. And Sonic. Nothing but sonic. And batteries that couldn't last a single session (didn't care about the $ as a kid, but not having it work sucked). So it was kinda bulky carrying it and like a huge case around with it.
Game Boy: came out first, has ALL THE GAMES ON IT, cheaper and lasts forever and we care about being cheaper as a kid since all your friends have games you can borrow.

And then the GameBoy Color came out after the fact to really kick the GameGear when it was already long dead.

Watching nerds compare technical stats of the systems thirty years later is comical. One system was cool and good, the other sucked but could be used as a heater in cold weather.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Game Gear always held a powerful aura of mystery to me ever since the movie Surf Ninjas portrayed it being used to predict the future and control the fight scenes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Serephina posted:

Watching nerds compare technical stats of the systems thirty years later is comical. One system was cool and good, the other sucked but could be used as a heater in cold weather.

In my defense, I was merely trying to point out, there was a reason it was more expensive. I didn't have either, nor did I have any interest in them as a kid, so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is Nintendo already had mobile game experience before anyone else with the Game and Watch.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty early on I got a magazine where someone wrote in asking why their game gear batteries died, and they were told to turn the sound off. I did that with mine, and because I played at night when I was meant to be asleep, never cared. As such, I always thought the "gg batteries don't last" people were exaggerating massively, since it would last plenty long enough!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Away all Goats posted:

It was all downhill after BF1942

Garbage dump:
Hardline
BF3

Bad:
BF4
Bf1

Passable:
Bf1
Bf5
Bad company 1

Good:
Vietnam

God tier:
Bad company 2

Galaxy tier:
Bad company 2 Vietnam

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Wasn't Bad Company 2 Vietnam basically just a set of skins and played exactly the same as vanilla BC2?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Q_res posted:

Wasn't Bad Company 2 Vietnam basically just a set of skins and played exactly the same as vanilla BC2?

Yes, it was DLC for the game (back when DLCs were basically expansion packs) and honestly pretty fun at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vietnam isn't even a game, it's a multi-player mode so it doesn't count at all. Same with 1942.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Q_res posted:

Bad company 2 was real good anyway but the maps guns and vehicles that Vietnam brought in were loving amazing

Bc2 nailed the mechanics of what makes a multiplayer fps fun and then Vietnam rolled up with the perfect setting

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

abigserve posted:

Bad company 2 was real good anyway but the maps guns and vehicles that Vietnam brought in were loving amazing

Bc2 nailed the mechanics of what makes a multiplayer fps fun and then Vietnam rolled up with the perfect setting

Agreed. I don't even like FPS games all that much but I put a lot of time into BC2 and even more in Vietnam.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Serephina posted:

I'll cut the techno babble and just say ya'll were getting ripped off by nintendo in the late 90's pretty hardcore for portable games. Nintendo themselves didn't even understand why they didn't have a competent portable games competitor and it would've been totally possible to make a color, portable games system that didn't chew through batteries and only cost ~100 bucks even as early as 1991.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'll cut the techno babble and just say ya'll were getting ripped off by nintendo in the late 90's pretty hardcore for portable games. Nintendo themselves didn't even understand why they didn't have a competent portable games competitor and it would've been totally possible to make a color, portable games system that didn't chew through batteries and only cost ~100 bucks even as early as 1991.

Though there's a few key questions here; who would make it? Who would make games for it?

I think the key thing is, as said, Nintendo recognised that portable games are a different beast than home consoles, and they should seek to make games specifically for the Game Boy to be a reason to buy it rather than just trying to make knockoffs of their own home console games. And when home consoles moved into 3D, portables became a refuge for 2D games that weren't seen as viable elsewhere. The GBA was basically a portable SNES with a worse sound chip. (given how sound was apparently a battery hog on the Game Gear, suddenly that makes sense)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh I get it now you had an Atari Lynx didn't you

It's good that you're cutting the techno babble though because you were wrong about almost every technical aspect of the systems you're comparing :downs:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 4, 2019

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

And yet for some bizarre reason the game gear was 150 and the lynx was 180

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is Nintendo already had mobile game experience before anyone else with the Game and Watch.

Nintendo actually has this record beat too. the were originally a company that printed decks of playing cards, so nintendo has been making mobile games since 1889

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Warioware Gold has a ton of references to Nintendo's earlier products, including basically a remote control Roomba.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Game Gear TV add-on was rad as poo poo. Saw one in real life as a kid and was extremely jealous. Of course, I could play my Gameboy for more than an hour, so

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I thought my game gear was so badass, and it was I guess, but really it was just novel more than anything, while the Gameboy was the actual functionally portable system that you could bring everywhere and not worry about batteries, not to mention it had way better games and 100 times more of them. Nintendo did the full color, backlit portable thing right when it made sense with the GBA and made every other portable seem look like crap by comparison.

I liked my game gear, coming from a....wait a second, I need to put a battery in here.....yeah, where was I? Yeah, the game gear was actually really cool, and had couple of really good games on it. I enjoyed the Sonic ga.....wait....I know I have some more batteries around.....yeah, so, what? Game gear? Oh, I really liked that one, and I never went back to the Gameboy, you see, the color, the fidelity of the games, the Master System adapter and...oh drat you batteries!!!!

Jokes aside: I really tried to like mine, especially since I had to convince my parents by a lot so I can get one, but even they asked on longer trips why I'm no longer playing with that expensive new thingy and I just sighed because there were no batteries around.

Maybe it wasn't that smart to put a Sega Master System into a handheld back then

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lol that their successor to "putting a master system in a power-sucking handheld" was literally "putting a Genesis in a power-sucking handheld"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lol that their successor to "putting a master system in a power-sucking handheld" was literally "putting a Genesis in a power-sucking handheld"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_Nomad#Technical_specifications

quote:

The Nomad could be powered by an AC adapter, a battery recharger known as the Genesis Nomad PowerBack, or six AA batteries,[5][13] which provide a battery life of two to three hours.[3] The Nomad consumed more power (DC 9V, 3.5W) than Sega's earlier portable gaming console, the Game Gear (DC 9V, 3W)

:psyduck:
why was Sega so terrible at hardware

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No but you see both Nintendo and Sega could have made kickass color backlit 2xAA 8 hour battery life handhelds for $100 they just had multiple generations of consoles that didn't because they were ripping you off

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, they ARE correct in that game boys would be cheaper if Nintendo had meaningful competition driving the prices down.

But calling that Nintendo ripping people off and not a sellers market is a bit goofy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There were actually a few GBC exclusive games (with a convex grip thingy so they couldn't be plugged into an old Game Boy), Pokemon Crystal probably being the most well known.

Nah, the grip thing was different but it didn’t prevent it from going into OG game boys, but they didn’t have the corner notch cut into them to “lock” them in with the power switch so you couldn’t turn on an old gameboy with a GBC exclusive game in it most of the time

I think game boy pockets didn’t have that tab though and you’d get an error when you tried

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pockets I believe did have the tab to prevent playing the clear GBC-only carts.

There was a middle-ground - the black cartridges with the indent were playable on a GB but designed to display more than 4 colors on a GBC (regular gray GB carts would display in a user-selectable 4-color pallet when played on a GBC)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All this 90s portable chat has me marvelling at my Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, they ARE correct in that game boys would be cheaper if Nintendo had meaningful competition driving the prices down.

But calling that Nintendo ripping people off and not a sellers market is a bit goofy.

I'm saying that if sega/atari etc. weren't retards we could've had much better handhelds in the 90's. It was frustrating because SO MANY COMPANIES made so many lovely handhelds and charged a fortune (like game.com) and managed to gently caress it up. I have to imagine Nintendo was sitting back in disbelief and being "why hasn't anyone else made a better product?" all the way into the late 90's.