Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

They're defined as unlucky and evil, when in reality it's all cats.

Cats aren't unlucky. Evil, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Definitely keep an eye on this guy, that's usually the last step before I steal a tank or helicopter.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Reposted from the USPOL thread, of course. Not a lot of other news poking up through the surface, of course.

A November resignation seems terribly optimistic for Perry in this timeline.

From only yesterday (since slightly updated):
thedailybeast.com/10.0319:
Trump Is Going to Burn Down Everything and Everyone, and Republicans, That Means You
"That press conference was terrifying. And congressional Republicans should be more afraid than anyone. Trump’s going down and taking them with him.
Donald Trump’s Oval Office performance-art masterpiece Wednesday was one for the ages, a pity-party, stompy-foot screech session by President Snowflake von Pissypants, the most put-upon man ever to hold the highest office in the land. If you watched his nationally televised press conference, Trump’s shrill, eye-popping hissy fit scanned like the end of a long, coke-fueled bender where the itchy, frenzied paranoia is dry-humping the last ragged gasps of the earlier party-powder fun."

Go for it if anyone want's to dispute the description in the article above. And that was only yesterday, well prior to all the poo poo that happened today. Bless your heart if you think this orange fecal smear will last another month.

Related Hunter S. Thompson tax:
He Was a Crook
"A scathing obituary of Richard Nixon, originally published in Rolling Stone on June 16, 1994

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing -- a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in Heaven and Hell, has told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

Might be time to feel free to post the beginnings of a trend, too:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Otteration posted:

Go for it if anyone want's to dispute the description in the article above. And that was only yesterday, well prior to all the poo poo that happened today. Bless your heart if you think this orange fecal smear will last another month.

:toxx: Trump won't be impeached and will be re-elected :toxx:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shbobdb posted:

:toxx: Trump won't be impeached and will be re-elected :toxx:

impeachment != removed from office. He will be impeached but Republicans won't do anything about it.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ranter posted:

impeachment != removed from office. He will be impeached but Republicans won't do anything about it.

Too late, they already toxxed!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Lol, I was gonna say, you already about lost this toxx.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Did I stutter? No way Pelosi pulls through on actual impeachment. There will be an investigation but she won't pull the trigger. The senate is a done deal but it's not a fun toxx unless there is SOME small element of risk.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At this point, the odds of impeachment are very close to 100%

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rigel posted:

At this point, the odds of impeachment are very close to 100%

Says increasingly nervous poster.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Thank you for future donating a $10 rereg to keep these dead comedy forums and owner lowtax alive, I guess

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol why wouldn't they impeach him, what political cost would there be? It's pulling 40-45% strong support among independents and ~20% among republican voters

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Did I stutter? No way Pelosi pulls through on actual impeachment. There will be an investigation but she won't pull the trigger. The senate is a done deal but it's not a fun toxx unless there is SOME small element of risk.

Trump says House has the votes to impeach him

Congratulations, you're dumber than Donald Trump.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've been banned for toxxes but I've never been wrong about a toxx. I don't plan on making this my first one.

Goons are dumb, trust someone who is smart and actually knows what is going on.

Edit: LOL, the Washington Times Post said a thing so it MUST be true. SMDH

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: LOL, the Washington Times said a thing so it MUST be true. SMDH
WaPo, not Washington Times. Washington Times is moonies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

dwarf74 posted:

WaPo, not Washington Times. Washington Times is moonies.

They are both hardcore fake news, but cheerfully corrected.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The testimony from last night makes me believe that impeachment is near certain. A guy put in writing "Like I said on the phone, I don't want to do the crimes"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

They are both hardcore fake news, but cheerfully corrected.

http://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Which one is the "good" thing, the Washington Post or the Washington Times?

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shbobdb posted:

Which one is the "good" thing, the Washington Post or the Washington Times?

You being a moron doesn't strike me as news, US or otherwise, so maybe you could take your bullshit to another thread?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

Goons are dumb, trust someone who is smart and actually knows what is going on.

so.... not you

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can I get actual news today?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Deleted. Not worth making GBS threads up the news thread.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 4, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

That doesn't mean they will, though. Personally my expectation is that they'll finger the button right up until election day. Even if they succeed they get President Pence and they don't like him all that much either. It's probably more politically beneficial to just talk about how much they want to impeach him instead of actually doing it given the current Senate. If they pull the trigger and it fails horribly then they look ineffective. If they keep talking about how badly they want to do it but can't because the Senate maybe it'll motivate voters to try to take the Senate as well as POTUS so they can either impeach Trump if he wins again or just take everything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deteriorata posted:

it's more that Pelosi is, somehow, likely dumber than Trump

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That doesn't mean they will, though. Personally my expectation is that they'll finger the button right up until election day. Even if they succeed they get President Pence and they don't like him all that much either. It's probably more politically beneficial to just talk about how much they want to impeach him instead of actually doing it given the current Senate. If they pull the trigger and it fails horribly then they look ineffective. If they keep talking about how badly they want to do it but can't because the Senate maybe it'll motivate voters to try to take the Senate as well as POTUS so they can either impeach Trump if he wins again or just take everything.

Pence is pretty wrapped up in the whole thing too

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Look at this red-hot take. I started a reply on 2 or 3 different angles, and then just gave up, better to just sit back and admire the wrongness in its entirety.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pence is a wet fart. Conservatives don't particularly like him, and he has none of the qualities that have led to Trump eking out "success". President Pence being the 2020 incumbent candidate is not a favorable position for Republicans.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

Pence is pretty wrapped up in the whole thing too

Neigh

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hay, this ain't something they just trotted out.

If you've had your blinders on, you better hold onto your saddle, because what's gone on will take you for a ride.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is the Pence/horsefucker thing a meme in the wider world or is it just an SA thing?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Is the Pence/horsefucker thing a meme in the wider world or is it just an SA thing?

Even semi-online people know our VP likes to power bottom for horses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stickman posted:

Pence is a wet fart. Conservatives don't particularly like him, and he has none of the qualities that have led to Trump eking out "success". President Pence being the 2020 incumbent candidate is not a favorable position for Republicans.

He's a bog standard Moral Majority-era social conservative, if it comes down to someone actually having to pull the lever for him, yeah that's not a Republican win.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
It’s Time For Everyone To Join The Impeachment Fight
crooked.com/Oct.4.19

California just legalized public banking, setting the stage for more affordable housing
theguardian.com/4 Oct 2019
'"The California governor, Gavin Newsom, on Wednesday signed the Public Banking Act, or AB 857, which will allow city and county governments to create, or sponsor, public banks. Those banks will in turn provide public agencies access to loans at interest rates much lower than they could find at private banks.
The Democratic congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted her support on Wednesday after Newsom signed the bill, writing: “Public banking is next level!”'

Trump's impeachment polling is historically unprecedented
cnn.com/October 4, 2019
"More amazingly, more Americans are in favor of impeaching Trump now than they were at a similar time during the House's investigation of Nixon in 1973 and 1974."
Maybe, of course. Throw it at your FB (or whatever) uncle anyway.

Staff at Florida bar pulls $14,000 off walls to donate to Hurricane Dorian relief
abcnews.go.com/Oct 2, 2019
"Siesta Key Oyster Bar in Sarasota, Florida, has made it a novelty for patrons to write messages on dollar bills and secure them to its ceiling and walls. Now, the establishment is donating thousands to Hurricane Dorian relief."

Climate strike with activist Greta Thunberg draws thousands in Iowa City
siouxcityjournal.com/18 hrs ago

Ralph Nader: Why Isn't the 99% Revolting?
truthdig.com/Oct 04, 2019
Crap headline, it's his 19 leftist theses, none of which contain the word "revolt" (can't copy a quote for internet reasons somehow, sorry).

Oust Pelosi From the Presidential Succession Line
Opinion/bloomberg.com/October 4, 2019
"Democrats should make it legally impossible for impeachment to deliver them the White House."
"But even a little uncertainty about that outcome might be enough to push otherwise open-minded Republicans away from voting for impeachment or conviction. Removing Pelosi and the third-in-line official, Senate President Pro Tem Charles Grassley, from having any chance of becoming president would be a worthwhile gesture for Democrats to make, indicating that they accept the reality that a Republican will be president until January, 2021, no matter what happens."

Do not want Pelosi in charge, but there are no "open-minded Republicans". None shall rule. All of them are either currently supporting the orange fecal smear or have been too silent for too long to matter. Negotiation is no longer necessary.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Otteration posted:

Oust Pelosi From the Presidential Succession Line
Opinion/bloomberg.com/October 4, 2019
"Democrats should make it legally impossible for impeachment to deliver them the White House."
"But even a little uncertainty about that outcome might be enough to push otherwise open-minded Republicans away from voting for impeachment or conviction. Removing Pelosi and the third-in-line official, Senate President Pro Tem Charles Grassley, from having any chance of becoming president would be a worthwhile gesture for Democrats to make, indicating that they accept the reality that a Republican will be president until January, 2021, no matter what happens."

Do not want Pelosi in charge, but there are no "open-minded Republicans". None shall rule. All of them are either currently supporting the orange fecal smear or have been too silent for too long to matter. Negotiation is no longer necessary.

This is dumb as hell. Trump might be getting impeached, but he won't be removed and that isn't the point. The point is to make McConnell and the bunch put their names to a vote roll call saying that they think it's ok to ask for political favors from foreign governments borrowed against American military might.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even if you are a dumb idiot who thinks President Pelosi is why the Republicans won't impeach, what does that have to do with Grassley?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Gyges posted:

Even if you are a dumb idiot who thinks President Pelosi is why the Republicans won't impeach, what does that have to do with Grassley?

He's next in line after Pelosi. If both Trump/Pence are removed she becomes president. If she refuses it or can't take office or something then it falls to Chuck Grassley. The gambit is they want Pelosi to pull herself out of the line of succession because it's a conflict of interest since she could have crab-walked her way into this non-impeachment only to get herself installed as president after impeaching/removing both the president and vice president.

It's dumb as poo poo, and any Republican who mentions it should be laughed at. If Pelosi has a conflict of interest as speaker due to the line of succession then Grassley has an even bigger one in the senate when voting for removal (in the event Pelosi has removed herself from succession). It would be the president pro tempore of the senate voting for himself to become president. Avoiding that is one of the most obvious reasons that position is below speaker of the house on the succession chart.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 7, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Right, but they also want Republican Grassley pulled fron the line of succession as well. Which doesn't even make sense in the dumb world where we're changing the line so only Republicans can be President.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Gyges posted:

Right, but they also want Republican Grassley pulled fron the line of succession as well. Which doesn't even make sense in the dumb world where we're changing the line so only Republicans can be President.

Oh, lol, I misread it because my brain could not fathom them wanting something even more idiotic than what they appeared to be suggesting. My apologies.

I guess you could still make a dumb case that Grassley has a conflict of interest if he's next in line of succession, but I'm not going to pretend they're arguing in good faith. They basically just want a Trump person still in the White House. Grassley's suspect as a ranking GOP senator. Grassley's already said a few things critical of Trump about this Ukraine whistleblower situation.

It's real strange because with the current scandal I don't see how Trump/Pence going down doesn't also take down Pompeo. Mnuchin has his own set of ethics problems, and so you could potentially be reaching all the way to Mark Esper at secretary of defense.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ex-Bush aide brutally trashes Trump kids’ corruption: ‘There are bivalves with more self-awareness’
rawstory.com/October 5, 2019'“Well, when you see poor Eric and poor Don Jr., you realize there are bivalves with more self-awareness than the Trump children,” said Frum. “The biggest Trump family scandal, Trump next-generation scandal is one that didn’t quite come off. In the period of the transition, between the election and inauguration, Jared Kushner met with senior officers of the Anbang financial concern in China, with a view to get hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue his desperately failing project on Fifth Avenue. That was exposed in time by The New York Times, and so the deal did not happen. But this was not a $50,000 payday. This was not a $50 million payday. This was a multiple hundreds of millions of dollars payday.”'

Went in for the headline. Stuck around to read the envy. Even made it through the "Eat Each Other, Fuckers" dessert to watch the "We Laid These Foundations, and Now it's The House of Trump?!" morality after dinner play. Stars given for bashing the Hunter Biden non-story and the final line, "...But the Trump family is so far and away the most corrupt in American presidential history that you really can’t think of who’s in second place.”

26 arrested after protesters throw red paint on bull statue in Manhattan
abc7ny.com/Updated 2 hours ago
"LOWER MANHATTAN, New York City (WABC) -- Police arrested nearly 100 people taking part in a climate change protests at the charging bull statue on Wall Street and around Lower Manhattan on Monday."
'"Look, we absolutely apologize to anyone who is personally inconvenienced by our actions. We don't want to be here. We don't want to disrupt people's lives. What we want is for the government to act. We have tried so hard within more regular means and it hasn't been successful, so we feel that we've been pushed extraordinary action," said Extinction Rebellion Sydney spokesperson Elly Baxter.'

ETA:
‘Incredibly worrying’: legal fight looms around Australia over clampdown on protest

"Peaceful protest, the Queensland government says, is only acceptable if it does not disrupt people going about their ordinary business.

But disruption is the point."

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 8, 2019