Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Bet they are kicking themselves now with what happened with Spider-man

Disney still owns the character, just not the film rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
On rewatching the 1 and Re:Chain of Memories LP's I have to say that it is now more apparent to me why I liked 2 Sora so much more. In 1 he was kinda more of just an idiot who wouldn't really listen to people or talk to them resulting in creating problems, and then CoM was kinda that but way moreso, but in 2 Sora just comes off more as a bit of an airhead but completely unrepentantly positive in a really fun way. Really like with everything else in 2 it all just comes together so much better than the first game and shows just how much the first game felt like a prototype.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like that you are rewarded for leveling up the different Drive Forms, which encourages you to use them whenever you can instead of just hoarding your Drive meter for boss battles. In fact I think Final Mix introduces a mechanic that discourages you from trying to cheese bosses with Drive Forms but I don't think we've seen it yet.

VV Oh for real? I guess I don't recall seeing it in the base game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 18, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

C-Euro posted:

I like that you are rewarded for leveling up the different Drive Forms, which encourages you to use them whenever you can instead of just hoarding your Drive meter for boss battles. In fact I think Final Mix introduces a mechanic that discourages you from trying to cheese bosses with Drive Forms but I don't think we've seen it yet.

If you're talking about Anti-Form, that was around in the base game.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
The Drive Forms are really cool and fun and they kinda only get moreso as it goes, the only issue is that most of them have real dumb leveling requirements that make them get way too grindy, but that is something that the LP will get more in depth on when it gets there. That being said Valor Forms' leveling is actually really reasonable and perfectly fine because of it just being land hits which is something you will always be doing in it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drive Forms not being easy to recharge is the other problem with Drive Forms but it's a small one in the grand scheme of it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It also becomes relatively easy to grind out most Drive Forms in the end game; and the new Final Mix form is also incredibly easy to grind up, especially immediately after you get it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

gamers, its time today to go a little bit "retro" and warp all the back to the "roaring 30's"!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I don't really have much nostalgia for old Disney stuff or really Disney in general but man this world is so good. There is just so much love and care put into it and it is another great showcase of how much more 2 goes in on the whole Disney worlds idea.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
This world is absolutely adorable, and I daresay one of the few levels in Kingdom Hearts that completely owned its aesthetic super well both visually and audially. The graininess of the colours, the flickering sound reel underneath the music, the muffled audio but not to the point it's unrecognisable. It's really good.

Also the designs for SoraDonaldGoofy are pretty spot-on to their originals, with Sora clearly taking design ideas from Astroboy or that style of very early 60s anime.

It's definitely my favourite part of this game just for the absolute levels of effort, hell even the Heartless are just spot-on in emulating the design of kooky '20s machinery.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Timeless River alone earns enough goodwill from me to put up with any other dumb bullshit in this whole franchise. I am kinda disappointed that they didn't retro-fy New Pete, like just the same but with no hat and a dumb outfit. At the very least it would make the running bit of Sora and Co. not being able to tell the difference not completely stupid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I am kinda disappointed that they didn't retro-fy New Pete, like just the same but with no hat and a dumb outfit. At the very least it would make the running bit of Sora and Co. not being able to tell the difference not completely stupid.

I can't really hold that one against them, since there's no real precedent for villains showing up in worlds besides their own before this. They went to the past and their appearances changed to keep them from sticking out. Pete's the first person to ever show up in more than one world like this besides Riku. That one Organization member showed up in the underworld but that's a place that doesn't do costumes though so ehh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I don't think Maleficent and Pete really give a poo poo about the Prime Directive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah Timeless River owns, you can tell that a lot of love went into its design and it even has one of the better in-world plots I think.

FinalGamer posted:

This world is absolutely adorable, and I daresay one of the few levels in Kingdom Hearts that completely owned its aesthetic super well both visually and audially. The graininess of the colours, the flickering sound reel underneath the music, the muffled audio but not to the point it's unrecognisable. It's really good.

Also the designs for SoraDonaldGoofy are pretty spot-on to their originals, with Sora clearly taking design ideas from Astroboy or that style of very early 60s anime.

It's definitely my favourite part of this game just for the absolute levels of effort, hell even the Heartless are just spot-on in emulating the design of kooky '20s machinery.

It's funny that you mention Astro Boy, because the creator of that manga said that early Disney animation was one of his main inspirations for that art style, particularly old Donald Duck cartoons. That's right, Disney was behind anime all along.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Timeless River is pretty drat cool. It would have been even cooler if they put in the cartoon where Mickey encounters dancing skeletons in a haunted house. That's the best old style Mickey cartoon (and also the only one I know of).

Old-style Mickey vigorously shaking Sora's hand after he defeats all the Heartless puts a big ol' grin on my face.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Black Mage Knight posted:

On rewatching the 1 and Re:Chain of Memories LP's I have to say that it is now more apparent to me why I liked 2 Sora so much more. In 1 he was kinda more of just an idiot who wouldn't really listen to people or talk to them resulting in creating problems, and then CoM was kinda that but way moreso, but in 2 Sora just comes off more as a bit of an airhead but completely unrepentantly positive in a really fun way. Really like with everything else in 2 it all just comes together so much better than the first game and shows just how much the first game felt like a prototype.

I'm kinda torn on this, honestly. I do like some of what 2 did for his character, particularly him being willing to trade barbs with the villains, but I feel like this was the beginning of him getting too goofy (and sometimes too dumb) for his own good. There's one thing in particular I want to cite, but it'll have to wait a while.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm kinda torn on this, honestly. I do like some of what 2 did for his character, particularly him being willing to trade barbs with the villains, but I feel like this was the beginning of him getting too goofy (and sometimes too dumb) for his own good. There's one thing in particular I want to cite, but it'll have to wait a while.

Considering his other progression path was Donald I think he made the right choice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Turns out that all that transforming that the worlds force on people was fine for Donald and Goofy because they're cartoons but not so great for anime children. He's dying.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

timeless river owns and so does this part of it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I don't think I'm ever gonna comprehend your wacky European schedule.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

His name is future friend because he's posting from the future via Europe

I mean it gets to us eventually, so it's fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

His name is future friend because he's posting from the future via Europe

I mean it gets to us eventually, so it's fine.

Oh I didn't mean to come off like I was mad about it, I just can't anticipate new uploads.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, making us wait two weeks makes me question your pro gamer credentials :colbert:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was about to ask if something was responsible for the delay, glad it's nothing serious and FutureFriend is just keeping us on our toes.

As much as I'm getting tired of seeing constant tower defense-like battles, Timeless River does them really well. And I love the old-timey curtain interludes with Neo-Pete's face on it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, making us wait two weeks makes me question your pro gamer credentials :colbert:

sorry folks, updates being late has been a combination of me being inconsistently busy and recordings falling thru. ill make it up to you all by saying i got the platinum trophy in this game, yet refuse to show any screens of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bullshit, FutureFriend, everyone knows you live off the Scandinavian welfare state and their generous subsidies for hardcore gamers

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Futurefriend is paying for Pastfriend's mistakes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

sorry folks, updates being late has been a combination of me being inconsistently busy and recordings falling thru. ill make it up to you all by saying i got the platinum trophy in this game, yet refuse to show any screens of it.

I mean it's obviously because getting 4 people's schedule's together is tough, I'm just goofing on it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I mean it's obviously because getting 4 people's schedule's together is tough, I'm just goofing on it.

oh yeah no harm done, i think y'all just deserved an explanation for it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

bullshit, FutureFriend, everyone knows you live off the Scandinavian welfare state and their generous subsidies for hardcore gamers

unfortunately i live in the netherlands, which loves money and racism, so i have to make cash by standing on a street corner and yelling my let's play commentary at the crowds of amsterdam

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

FutureFriend posted:

oh yeah no harm done, i think y'all just deserved an explanation for it.

unfortunately i live in the netherlands, which loves money and racism, so i have to make cash by standing on a street corner and yelling my let's play commentary at the crowds of amsterdam

I'm surprised there haven't been more people taking their Switch on the subway and LP busking.

Though I guess that's basically what Twitch is, isn't it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

agradine posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more people taking their Switch on the subway and LP busking.

Though I guess that's basically what Twitch is, isn't it?
I once saw a fat man on the NYC subway watch a TV show and play Silent Hill on an Xbox 360, with the TV and console hooked up to some kind of power supply in a duffel bag. He wasn't asking for money, but I should have given him some change, because that's impressive gaming.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love Sora's cheeky little "Oh reaaally?". Like he can't even believe Donald could ever get a girlfriend.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

pirates funny. or maybe not, havent decided yet

e: wow, i completely forgot to put in the uncut version in the image. apologies for that, should be fixed now

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 16, 2019

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's good to see some representation for my GOTY 2004, Tetsuya Nomura's Pirates!.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gunmi ship

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God that line for line recreation of the Barbarossa backstory scene was pathetic as all hell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey, don't knock them for that transition to the ambush. They put all this world's budget in animating Johnny Depp, was that not enough visual fidelity for you?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

God that line for line recreation of the Barbarossa backstory scene was pathetic as all hell.

The ghost story line is really diminished by him already having turned zombie

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Pirates is probably my least favorite world that exists in KH2.

But only because we don't talk about that other world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzXmJyolfY

Yeah it 's way cooler in the movie

he also slams a full bottle of grog like a champ, something the game leaves out. VERY disappointing.