Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like RPG the most but all 3 series are good. There’s no way it’s the worst when Sticker Star is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Color Printer posted:

This also applies to her work in the M&L series, and it's also hilarious how the final boss tracks become increasingly like Kingdom Hearts tracks as the series progresses
:yeah:

Her, Yuka Tsujiyoko, Akira Yamaoka and Tsukasa Masuko are my VG Music heroes.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
smrpg's the best one, paper mario 1 is good, thousand year door is good but overrated and paper mario fans in general are brokebrains, the only good mario & luigis are 1 & 3

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lmao

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've never played a Zelda game before but Link Between Worlds is pretty fun. Ocarina of Time hasn't really caught on for me, though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Super Mario RPG is the most overrated SNES RPG.

Look at how wrong you are when Final Fantasy III/VI exists. Look, look at your throne of lies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

Look at how wrong you are when Final Fantasy III/VI exists. Look, look at your throne of lies.

Final Fantasy III has rightfully earned it's place as #3 in the SNES RPG Holy Trinity.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Super bummed about AlphaDream, but I didn't play any of their games after Bowser's Inside Story, which I loved, so I guess I was part of the problem :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Final Fantasy III has rightfully earned it's place as #3 in the SNES RPG Holy Trinity.
FF III, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG? :confused:

Like my favorite would be one of the two Shin Megami Tensei games, but I know I'm alone on that one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now you're just trolling.

FFIII, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

DQV might be regarded higher if we ever got it Stateside back in the day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, forgot about Earthbound! :negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok but who actually refers to final fantasy 6 as 3 these days

if you do you are officially allowed to be called old

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, still have the old SNES cart a friend gave me 20 years ago as a parting gift when I moved from my lovely town. It's one of my "doofus teen" treasures. :shobon:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Same, except it's a Final Fantasy III DS cart, and it was a parting mockery from my worst enemy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 3, 2019

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheHoosier posted:

Super bummed about AlphaDream, but I didn't play any of their games after Bowser's Inside Story, which I loved, so I guess I was part of the problem :(

Dream Team is probably still cheap right now, at least play that one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dream Team is probably still cheap right now, at least play that one.

A rom hack that removed some of the tutorials would own and get me to play it again. Wonder how feasible a project that would be. Dream Team really is a great game if you could get passed them. The music alone owns and is my favorite of the Mario RPG soundtracks after SMRPG.

If you’re sad about AlphaDream going under and haven’t played it, it really deserves at least one play. Paper Jam too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amppelix posted:

Ok but who actually refers to final fantasy 6 as 3 these days

if you do you are officially allowed to be called old

I never called it 3 back in the day either

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The first Final Fantasy was VII (and I didn't have a Playstation so I didn't even play that, but it was the first time I'd ever heard of the series :v:)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Same, except it's a Final Fantasy III DS cart, and it was a parting mockery from my worst enemy.

This was great. Thank you for making me laugh and dredging up terrible memories.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Wark Say posted:

FF III, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG? :confused:

Like my favorite would be one of the two Shin Megami Tensei games, but I know I'm alone on that one.

My friend, you are not alone on that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

irlZaphod posted:

The first Final Fantasy was VII (and I didn't have a Playstation so I didn't even play that, but it was the first time I'd ever heard of the series :v:)

For one thing, it was the first entry that ever came to Europe, IIRC.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Saoshyant posted:

Yes. We had Final Fantasy Adventure (really the first Mana game) which was released as Mystic Quest. And Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was released as Mystic Quest Legend.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 5, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The top 3 SNES RPGs are Earthbound, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, Lufia 2, SMRPG, and Super Metroid. Thank you.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Heath posted:

The top 3 SNES RPGs are Earthbound, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, Lufia 2, SMRPG, and Super Metroid. Thank you.
Wow, this is almost dead on. You just gotta swap Earthbound for FF4 and Super Metroid for Terranigma. Because I haven't played the other ones, you see.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

We Got Us A Bread posted:

My friend, you are not alone on that.
It's weird. I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei games in one way or another for 17 years, but something that I sorta can't put into words resonated with me like nothing else when playing the game while I was learning Japanese (I didn't find out there was an English patch until like 2005, lol) and all the weird, screwed-up revelations that came as a result.

In my first playthrough, I decided to help the gringo Ambassador against Gotoh and then whoops! Turns out he was Thor! And he just gave the A-OK for Japan to get loving nuked. Enjoy the expanse, dumbass! :stonk:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hi, I want to buy a 2DS XL in order to play Zeldas. Do any Zeldas especially need the 3D feature? Is there any other compelling reason not to buy the 2DS XL? Thanks. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd say Link Between Worlds would lose something without the depth from 3D but that's probably the only thing that vaguely matters.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hmm. How well does the 3D on the 3DS do if you're not playing in great conditions, like on a moving bus?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hmm. How well does the 3D on the 3DS do if you're not playing in great conditions, like on a moving bus?

If it's a New system with the eye tracking then it does very well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

welp, SOLD on a refurb 3DS XL. Thanks for the help!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

welp, SOLD on a refurb 3DS XL. Thanks for the help!

Make sure it's a new3DSXL. The model type, not the condition.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The new3DS has head tracking so its 3D is better than the previous system's, but I should note that the head tracking doesn't handle glasses well and some folks with incorrect vision can't see the 3D correctly anyway. Not saying you shouldn't go for it! When it works it's real nice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heath posted:

have you, like, actually played seiken densetsu 3 in the past decade

because that poo poo is a minefield of horrible design

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought the Mana collection for the Switch so yes :buddy:

And yeah it is

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can play SD3/Trials of Mana once a year and never get tired of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm sure if I'd had a SNES instead of a Mega Drive I probably would have heard of the series at least. Instead there were tv ads for the seventh installment on the Playstation and I was very confused.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well the super-stable 3D is about a thousand times cooler than I expected, and now I'm sad the 3DS is at EOL even though the library of games is great.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anyone got a reccomendation for a N3DSXL case that fits the charger as well? Just picked up the Game Traveler case to carry carts more compactly, but it wouldn't object to something a couple inches larger for a totally all-in-one package.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well the super-stable 3D is about a thousand times cooler than I expected, and now I'm sad the 3DS is at EOL even though the library of games is great.

You have enough games to last you years, don't worry about it. Game on and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

You have enough games to last you years, don't worry about it. Game on and enjoy.
Yeah, 3DS is tied with PS2 for the console I own the most games for (although the Switch may overtake it in a few years) and there are still a bunch of games for it that I want to play.

Also, if you do homebrew, it can make for a pretty good retro emulation system. Even without homebrew there's still a decent selection of retro games on the Virtual Console.