Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I love that they put the super important best-one-of-its-kind artifact from The Chase into the wreckage but Picard barely cares

He looks at the lid and then puts it back in the wreckage lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Now that you mention that scene, them just abandoning the mostly intact Enterprise wreckage on some non federation planet with a pre-warp civilisation living in the same system does seem like a huge security risk and possible prime directive violation. Shouldn't they either destroy the wreckage or remove it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

Personally I love that they put the super important best-one-of-its-kind artifact from The Chase into the wreckage but Picard barely cares

He looks at the lid and then puts it back in the wreckage lol

If he has half a brain cell, the first thing he did when he got the thing would be to take a replicator pattern and then send the original to his safe deposit box a museum. He probably had to make a new replicated copy every time something shook the ship and it went sailing off the shelf.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think you're just supposed to assume that Starfleet is going to chop the saucer up and carry the bits away after the captain and first officer dramatically beam up out of the wreckage of the bridge

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

If he has half a brain cell, the first thing he did when he got the thing would be to take a replicator pattern and then send the original to his safe deposit box a museum. He probably had to make a new replicated copy every time something shook the ship and it went sailing off the shelf.

Or maybe he's had a life changing experience and has a new perspective about living in the past.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

Ok two exceptions, that was good too.

The rest of the time though, jesus. When he was doing his life forms song or when he was doing his ventriloquism bit with the tricorder, just painful.

I think that does serve the scene well when it gets more off-putting and kind of builds to him having a mental breakdown and shooting his pants, it's about halfway between the tricorder bit and the panic attack you realize "Oh something is seriously wrong"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I think you're just supposed to assume that Starfleet is going to chop the saucer up and carry the bits away after the captain and first officer dramatically beam up out of the wreckage of the bridge

I guess that could have happened offscreen, but that is not suggested by the movie. The next shot after Picard and Riker beaming up is all the federation ships leaving.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

marktheando posted:

I guess that could have happened offscreen, but that is not suggested by the movie. The next shot after Picard and Riker beaming up is all the federation ships leaving.

They probably have that guy who runs the space scrapyard they hid in one time come pick it up.

And thus the Klingon prophet's foretelling came to pass where the Enterprise was hauled away as garbage.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

I've read about people who thought the nebula class ship at the end was literally some kind of tug hauling the enterprise's saucer into space.

I always thought Picard's log entry was pretty tepid, the line about the Enterprise not being able to be salvaged sounds like he doesn't actually care that his ship crashed after 7 years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I still say the opening scene of the Picard show should be Jean-Luc drinking a beer and casually shooting out the windows in the crashed Enterprise-D saucer with a phaser, one by one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tighclops posted:

I always thought Picard's log entry was pretty tepid, the line about the Enterprise not being able to be salvaged sounds like he doesn't actually care that his ship crashed after 7 years.

Well, it's not the first command that he's lost.

That makes me wonder what the standards are for starfleet. We know in the Navy, ANY sort of collision is pretty much a career ender for the commander, but Picard has walked off two hull losses and still got a brand new flagship.

I also wonder what happened to the Enterprise B considering we still see plenty of Excelsior class ships in TNG. I'm going to guess it warped backward into a black hole trying to cover up an unscheduled trip to Risa.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Generations does get by on hype, the whole thing feels exciting and unique, at least if you were a fan of the show and finally seeing it get turned into a movie. It's just too bad there's not much else to it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I assumed that Evil Admirals exterminated the local population because it was easier.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tighclops posted:

I've read about people who thought the nebula class ship at the end was literally some kind of tug hauling the enterprise's saucer into space.

I literally thought as a kid that The Enterprise had been cut apart and those 3 ships were actually the remains of it - the ultimate recycling operation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's funny that Guinan says nobody can resist the nexus but Picard leaves after about five minutes and Kirk takes minimal persuasion.

I had forgotten Lursa and B'etor were in it, good to see them finally get killed off. Their scheme to spy on the enterprise using Geordi's visor is fun. There's generally more things from the tv show in Genesis than I remembered.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

It's funny that Guinan says nobody can resist the nexus but Picard leaves after about five minutes and Kirk takes minimal persuasion.

Human Captains! Racial trait is Badass Willpower.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

Well I assume they're not gonna keep a thousand people waiting around to carve it up, there'll be an engineering ship around to do that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

That makes me wonder what the standards are for starfleet. We know in the Navy, ANY sort of collision is pretty much a career ender for the commander, but Picard has walked off two hull losses and still got a brand new flagship.

We already know they don't do up-or-out - you can linger around in the same rank for decades and they'll still put you on starships.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Retroactively, yeah, but nanites weren't added to the borg concept until First Contact. The as-written intent in Q-Who was collective mental will.

Thoughts are just electrical activity in an organ. Given the cybernetic nature of their organs, it's not unbelievable that they'd have some kind of wifi built in. Don't we already have actual humans with cybernetic implants to control prosthetic limbs and poo poo? Collective mental will sounds like psychic nonsense on the surface, but if you've got a network of computer-people, it's really not that whacky of a notion that they'd be able to link up and expand their computing power working together.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Thoughts are just electrical activity in an organ. Given the cybernetic nature of their organs, it's not unbelievable that they'd have some kind of wifi built in. Don't we already have actual humans with cybernetic implants to control prosthetic limbs and poo poo? Collective mental will sounds like psychic nonsense on the surface, but if you've got a network of computer-people, it's really not that whacky of a notion that they'd be able to link up and expand their computing power working together.

Yeah but that doesn't un-melt steel beams without a physical mechanism for carrying out their collective will

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So you're saying group-feel can't un-melt steel beams?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

So you're saying group-feel can't un-melt steel beams?

I am now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

I’d guess that in a future where you can just whip up a new ship in a few months for free, losing your command isn’t as big a deal.

And I’ve always assumed the B was just a renamed 1st-gen Excelsior refit (similar to the A) and she was decommissioned after 15 or whatever years once the Ambassador class production began.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

marktheando posted:

Now that you mention that scene, them just abandoning the mostly intact Enterprise wreckage on some non federation planet with a pre-warp civilisation living in the same system does seem like a huge security risk and possible prime directive violation. Shouldn't they either destroy the wreckage or remove it?
I assume they did, but it's like how they don't show Quark going to the toilet and taking a poo poo. They edit out the boring parts that have little or nothing to do with the story.

Alternately, those parts represent some cartoonish dystopic evil.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

New Picard teaser reveals Picard's new jacket: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3NB4Fjhqwe/?fbclid=IwAR1AK8aFcfai1Bn4tJVPuHfWNqj3HcRnGwXkFTH5d53XpN1PaGkjfx_DV44

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but that doesn't un-melt steel beams without a physical mechanism for carrying out their collective will

Never heard of mind over matter?!?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO Picard should have lost his command for getting owned by an outdated Klingon BoP

Generations just has too much going on. It can't entirely be a TNG movie since they wanted to 'bridge the gap' between TOS and TNG. But TNG was already over and people had accepted the show, so it seems pointless. Plus they only got Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov back which is just the weirdest mix of TOS characters (yes I know that Nimoy/Kelley were unwilling/unable to do it). I agree that wiping out Picard's family offscreen was some garbage since it's from such an important episode in the series and it just gets tossed aside like the Kurlan Naiskos.

There are a million plotlines-

-Kirk's disappearance
-The Nexus/Soran/Guinan stuff
-Picard's family dying
-Data and the emotion chip
-Geordi getting abducted AGAIN and used to take out the Enterprise
-Everything with the Enterprise crashing

I know at one point there were going to be more Romulans in Generations and I think that would have been a better idea than the Duras Sisters and Soran.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still utterly refuse to believe a house fire resulting in an entire family being wiped out could happen on earth in star trek. The only possible excuse is Picard's crazy brother refusing to bring the traditional family house up to modern federation building codes and refusing even simple smoke detectors because modern technology causes grape autism or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek sucks as a movie and all Star Trek movies suck. Just skip em if you can, forget em if you can't and pretend they don't happen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I still utterly refuse to believe a house fire resulting in an entire family being wiped out could happen on earth in star trek. The only possible excuse is Picard's crazy brother refusing to bring the traditional family house up to modern federation building codes and refusing even simple smoke detectors because modern technology causes grape autism or something.

Yeah how could that possibly have happened?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Star Trek sucks as a movie and all Star Trek movies suck. Just skip em if you can, forget em if you can't and pretend they don't happen.

Hey, that's a half truth!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO Picard should have lost his command for getting owned by an outdated Klingon BoP

Generations just has too much going on. It can't entirely be a TNG movie since they wanted to 'bridge the gap' between TOS and TNG. But TNG was already over and people had accepted the show, so it seems pointless. Plus they only got Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov back which is just the weirdest mix of TOS characters (yes I know that Nimoy/Kelley were unwilling/unable to do it). I agree that wiping out Picard's family offscreen was some garbage since it's from such an important episode in the series and it just gets tossed aside like the Kurlan Naiskos.

There are a million plotlines-

-Kirk's disappearance
-The Nexus/Soran/Guinan stuff
-Picard's family dying
-Data and the emotion chip
-Geordi getting abducted AGAIN and used to take out the Enterprise
-Everything with the Enterprise crashing

I know at one point there were going to be more Romulans in Generations and I think that would have been a better idea than the Duras Sisters and Soran.

It's not really too many plotlines per se, but they should have spent more time in rewrites refining how they all connect. They feel too jumbled together without any real thematic connection. I mean, they were close to having a pretty good theme about the passage of time and all that, but it needed to be ironed out with the plotlines culminating in a more meaningful way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Bloop posted:

Yeah how could that possibly have happened?

Exactly, signs point to murder by god-alien.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Space is so insanely dangerous in Star Trek that the simple act of surviving is worthy of reward. Starfleet is a soft eugenics program governed ruthlessly by survival of those most able to whip up bizarre technobabble solutions.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

marktheando posted:

Ok two exceptions, that was good too.

The rest of the time though, jesus. When he was doing his life forms song or when he was doing his ventriloquism bit with the tricorder, just painful.

Are you saying you don't just love scanning for life forms?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curiousTerminal posted:

Are you saying you don't just love scanning for life forms?

Precious little life forms?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Don't blame Data, blame Joe Piscopo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

They were probably living in an old style house. If it was some kind of modern apartment block or similar residence I could see your point though.

Like TNG and DS9 seem to make it reasonably clear that people didn't somehow lose a desire to go outside to a location within the thirty mile zone of Los Angeles California or the like, even if Trek fans seem heavily inclined to move into the holodeck.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Honestly, even with the elder Picard brother's technophobia, their (all, or just he and his son?) dying in the fire strikes me as highly implausible.

Earth is the most technologically developed and integrated and monitored planet in the Alpha Quadrant. Yes, they haven't OVER-developed, they've reclaimed/rebuilt "wild" spaces, and rural areas, but every square inch of the planet, the jewel, and capital, of the Federation, is being watched by the Federation's newest and most advanced sensor technology every single picosecond of the day. Every life sign on the planet is accounted for, even if some manner of 'do not watch' list exists, as I'm sure guys like Robert would insist upon, and they may intentionally not visually watch/listen in on them at all times. If you actually want to live dangerously, you have to move off-planet and be some rear end in a top hat colonist, you don't get away with endangering your children on Earth.

The moment a sizeable heat signature breaks out in an area registered as a dwelling and occupied by three life-signs, either an emergency fire-fighting team beams in, a fire-suppression beam of some sort comes down out of the heavens, or all three of the Picards are transported out. Maybe all three of these things at once. Even if they were suffering serious asphyxiation or burn wounds, 24th century medicine on Earth could handle that poo poo without breaking a sweat.

It literally took THE Q CONTINUUM to manage killing two people on Earth in a manner deemed sufficiently unavoidable due to freak occurrence and magnitude that the planet's weather control/disaster monitoring systems couldn't cope. It took THE FOUNDERS themselves and The Dominion's equally advanced hyper-technology to smuggle in and hide a bomb in order to enact terrorism, and they pretty much just pulled off the one event, then hung around to gently caress with people's minds thereafter.

It was cheap drama written in by people who didn't think things through.

And I'm going to keep calling it dumb.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Every life sign on the planet is accounted for

You do realise this is the series (or set of series) where the captain suddenly disappearing from the ship doesn't even register on the computer as something that's important.