Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

These towns can change. They can do different things. Asheville as recently as the early nineties was a complete poo poo hole. Now it's basically hipster/liberal Valhalla and we make the best goddamn beer in the world (don't @ me just deal with it).

Asheville's bars have even better selections than places like Croxley's in New York. This just lead me to find out that the Ave B Croxley's is closed. Now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Give the redhats their rightwing white ethnostate in, like, Montana and then just saturate bomb it with nukes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He'll bent

He will bent

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Ripoff posted:

I stand by my theory that a theocratic whites-only country is impossible as it would become an insane hotbed for religious terrorism overnight, where they’d kill themselves and each other over which way Jesus hung his toilet paper roll.

Or follow the historical example of blaming an outside influence and exporting said chaos.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

And of course he's taking credit for this because it certainly isn't the dem party seeing Biden as their Trump lite

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also the natural course is any Biden presidential primary campaign.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah I was thinking about this earlier, how he just kept talking so much poo poo at the Republican debates. If Jeb or Ted or whoever just confronted him, really got in his face or even threatened to punch him, Trump would never have gotten this far. Everyone remembers when Jeb slinked back like a beaten dog when Trump refused to apologize, “little Marco,” “lying Ted.” Imagine if one of them had just clocked him- they might be President right now.

Because this is what Republicans are. They're spineless assholes that talk a big game. But when push comes to shove they scatter like cockroaches when the lights turn on. The only time you'll see these cowardly fucks put it on the line is when they hold a vastly superior advantage

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've never been east of Texas but I know Asheville has both the Moog factory and is home to Make Noise so it's a cool place in my book and if they had an MLB team I'd root for them the end.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Redacted

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Stealy Don

Argh efb... Uhhhh....

Below-Average White Band

Ed: argh

Crazy Horse-fuckers

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 5, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A judge shouldn't be doing that, they're right. Can you imagine the shitstorm the right would stir up if the judge gave her a Quran?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Panic! At the Inspectors General.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The All-Ukrainian Rejects

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Big Deals Daddy and the White Hood Knights

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How come bernie gets chest pains and this fuckers clogged pig heart is still chugging away late at night on twitter

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

They Might Be Felons

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

J.A.B.C. posted:

They Might Be Felons

The Fink Spots

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BrandorKP posted:

I know there is a lot of hate for the times, but this one is worth a read.

In the Land of Self-Defeat https://nyti.ms/2IpVNmd

This isn't saying anything we didn't know already, but drat it's depressing to see it all laid out so succinctly. I just have no idea how you even begin to undo these beliefs. A lot of these places have been hosed over (Hell, all of us have been hosed over except a group so small they could be lost as a statistic error and not noticed), but it's been simultaneous with propaganda on a truly immense scale, and it's easy as hell to go "Hey times are tough for you guys, right? Well it's because of those fuckers." and be believed. The very people doing the loving have managed to sell the exact cause of the problems (Themselves and capitalism) as the solution.

The thing is you can work with people who have different objectives or interests. If these people wanted the money spent differently we could work together, either find compromises, or maybe find another solution entirely that neither initially thought of but which benefits both, or ultimately just go utilitarian Numbers Fuckstein on it and say "$2mil for the library gives X benefits; $2mil for a widget and geegaw facility gives X-3 benefits, we'll get the library". But there's no way to come to a compromise or find solutions with someone whose belief is, essentially, "Nasty, brutish and short? A war of all against all? Definitely my poo poo, sign me up". You can see it right in the example given, a facility as fundamental as a library, which was once pretty much universally regarded as one of the great foundations on which civilization is built, couldn't even negotiate for an appropriate salary when someone took on new responsibilities, or apply a miniscule tax to pay for the loving building.

Which, fine, let them gently caress themselves over while everyone with more sense bails out (an idealized proposition in itself, but allow it for the sake of argument), but as the article points out these places have vastly outsized political power. You can deal with many ideologies, or at least agree to disagree while different parties have power, but this is a nihilistic absence of ideology, it's just a chthonic miasma of spite. And such raw spite and bitterness would take a monumental effort to undo, doubly so when they have the political power to vote against any measures that would improve their situations.

Really starting to see the appeal in re-education camps.

Mantis42 posted:

Give the redhats their rightwing white ethnostate in, like, Montana and then just saturate bomb it with nukes.

Montana's actually a great state, please no nuke Bozeman :( (Fake e; split the state into the western third and eastern two-thirds, herd the shitstains into the east, and then nuke it. It's the western part that's good.)

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

My Criminal Bromance
Backchannel Boys
rear end Mouth
The Orange Jumpsuit Apparatus
The Villages People
Sham!
Tears for :kav:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Flesh Forge posted:

The Fink Spots

Ukraine Clown Posse?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

NutShellBill posted:

Ukraine Clown Posse?

This right here. This is the good stuff.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Wee'n

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ms Adequate posted:

This isn't saying anything we didn't know already, but drat it's depressing to see it all laid out so succinctly. I just have no idea how you even begin to undo these beliefs. A lot of these places have been hosed over (Hell, all of us have been hosed over except a group so small they could be lost as a statistic error and not noticed), but it's been simultaneous with propaganda on a truly immense scale, and it's easy as hell to go "Hey times are tough for you guys, right? Well it's because of those fuckers." and be believed. The very people doing the loving have managed to sell the exact cause of the problems (Themselves and capitalism) as the solution.

The thing is you can work with people who have different objectives or interests. If these people wanted the money spent differently we could work together, either find compromises, or maybe find another solution entirely that neither initially thought of but which benefits both, or ultimately just go utilitarian Numbers Fuckstein on it and say "$2mil for the library gives X benefits; $2mil for a widget and geegaw facility gives X-3 benefits, we'll get the library". But there's no way to come to a compromise or find solutions with someone whose belief is, essentially, "Nasty, brutish and short? A war of all against all? Definitely my poo poo, sign me up". You can see it right in the example given, a facility as fundamental as a library, which was once pretty much universally regarded as one of the great foundations on which civilization is built, couldn't even negotiate for an appropriate salary when someone took on new responsibilities, or apply a miniscule tax to pay for the loving building.

Which, fine, let them gently caress themselves over while everyone with more sense bails out (an idealized proposition in itself, but allow it for the sake of argument), but as the article points out these places have vastly outsized political power. You can deal with many ideologies, or at least agree to disagree while different parties have power, but this is a nihilistic absence of ideology, it's just a chthonic miasma of spite. And such raw spite and bitterness would take a monumental effort to undo, doubly so when they have the political power to vote against any measures that would improve their situations.

Really starting to see the appeal in re-education camps.

Montana's actually a great state, please no nuke Bozeman :( (Fake e; split the state into the western third and eastern two-thirds, herd the shitstains into the east, and then nuke it. It's the western part that's good.)

Good post, thanks.

I think something we often forget is how much the story we tell about ourselves and others really does matter.

These people are like this because our society is sick, and having discreetly sat in the churches, I know that's the message they share with each other.

Step one is killing their false gods, step two is giving them new healthier ones.
Or go after the system that gives the illusion of their voice to kleptocratic politicians.
I mean, most tools need to be on the table here.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

White Said Fred

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Tools

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I want to say "Severed Heads"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Barr's Narked Laddies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phish, because only truly awful Boomers like them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So, umm... Doesn't that "visa applicants must have health care," kind of... Destroy the entire agricultural sector? And several other industries reliant on seasonal migrant workers who get legal work visas?

So... does the market crash begin in 30 days? Or have I missed something.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
God-drat, you orange gently caress-wad...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1180152613175730176

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The agriculture sector depends on the exploitation of illegal immigrants that got through already or manage to get through despite the crackdowns. They already lack visas. Lots of republicans in Texas have their houses cleaned by people without visas and they have no illusions about this or the votes they turn around and make.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Wolves in the Throne Room

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't believe America can last as a thing, I think we're literally too big and the oppression of capitalism has done so much damage that some form of balkanization is inevitable, both sides seem to agree too considering how they talk about each other, it's really only a matter of 'when' the violent fascists we've been emboldening decide to call the technocratic class' bluff and realize they could clean up as some kind of feudal lord.
How? Politics aren't regional like the 19th century. There are blue cities in every state. There are red rural areas in every states. There are rural areas dominated by African Americans or Hispanics in many red states. A neat secession like in 1860 is simply impossible.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 5, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Here's the compiled list so far:

quote:

Stealie Anything Not Nailed Down
Dire Straights
White Zombie
Ukraine Clown Posse
Old Dirty Bastards
The Tone Defs
Fox News Alert
10,000 Maniacs
White Rebel Fascist Club
Does It Offend You? Yeah.
Liars Club
Yusuf Muslim Ban
Not So Great White
Dink Floyd
The Crimers
KISS
A Perfect Phone Call
Big Wreck
Stealy Don
Whitesnake
4 Don Schvants
Crosby, Dillz, Trash, and Dung
NECK
Vladimir's Latenight Lovecallers
Golf Clubs and Felony
Death Camp for Cute Kids
Wu Tang Klan
Racist DC
Bad Brains
Adipose Wrecks
Poets of the Wall
Below Average White Band
The Beatables
Orange Man Band
Bad Company
The Four Treasons
Band on the Run
Crazy Horse-fuckers
Panic! At the Inspectors General
Big Deals Daddy and the White Hood Knights
They Might Be Felons
My Criminal Bromance
Backchannel Boys
rear end Mouth
The Orange Jumpsuit Apparatus
The Villages People
Sham!
Tears for Beer
Wee'n
White Said Fred
Tools
Severed Heads
Barr's Narked Laddies
Phish
God-drat, You! Orange gently caress-wad
Wolves in the Throne Room
The Dingleberries
Al-zheimer and Garfunkel
Sargent-At-Arms' Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Red Hot IG Papers
Big Cuntry

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 5, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

Here's the compiled list so far:
The Dingleberries

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Al-zheimer and Garfunkel

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sargent-At-Arms' Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Red Hot IG Papers

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

You guys are gonna name every single band that ever existed at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Big Cuntry