Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

Have you guys considered that Paradox no longer wants to develop the Congo Free State simulator?

As opposed to their native American genocide simulator, and play as literally Nazi Germany simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Flavius Aetass posted:

Have you guys considered that Paradox no longer wants to develop the Congo Free State simulator?

When you put it like that I can almost believe it's something stockholders would be interested in

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lol if you think you're not doing worst than Leopold every time you play EU4. Yeah, that 20 dev province you culture converted just became a different culture in only 3 years, no one was hurt.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mantis42 posted:

lol if you think you're not doing worst than Leopold every time you play EU4. Yeah, that 20 dev province you culture converted just became a different culture in only 3 years, no one was hurt.

also you can exterminate natives very easily and sometimes that's just optimal

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Flavius Aetass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E-ebtOZWfA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mantis42 posted:

i dunno i've definitely outdone leopold in vicky2 if we count anarcho-capitalists as people

which i dont but ymmv

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hurr durr I hate genociding minorities. Grow up.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The absolute best part of vicky 2 is you conquer places twice. First when you close a peace treaty, again when you replace the native population with your own.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Or, it could just be that natives are hyper intelligent linguistically and are really good at picking up social cues.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Hurr durr I hate genociding minorities. Grow up.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

StarMinstrel posted:

My favorite thing about Vicky is how you can play tall and become number one.

You mean AI is so impotent it lets you get away with anything.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Oh look whos back to bluster and moan about 'proper play' like an actual victorian aristocrat for us, very convincing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ilitarist posted:

Shh, we don't poo poo talk the AI in the old games for some reason

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
People looking back at old Paradox games with rose-tinted glasses is both hilarious and infuriating at the same time.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
One of my favourite things about CK1 was how easy it was, getting a game over in CK2 sucks

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Being able to breed superhumans in CK1 was pretty fun at least. Also the UI did have its charm in a kludgy type of way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Still hilarious that machine guns made areas more 'habitable' for colonisation and people couldn't understand why.

Edit: also it's been years since anyone has had to post the paradox release cycle of grief

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vichan posted:

People looking back at old Paradox games with rose-tinted glasses is both hilarious and infuriating at the same time.

STOP LIKING THINGS

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vichan posted:

I still play Victoria 2 often. What color does this make my glasses?

Also you should stop getting infuriated over people liking things you don’t. That’s insane

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Victoria 2 is almost 10 years old, so...

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It's a testament to how good V2 is that it's still extremely enjoyable in spite of its many old-Paradox flaws. If it worked better on linux and had a more active modding scene I'd be playing it more often than CK2 and Stellaris.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Victoria 2 is almost 10 years old, so...

I still play Master of Orion 2, because it's still the best space 4x game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I don't think people here don't want you to like Vic2, the problem comes when ignoring the flaws is combined with romantic/reactionary lust for a past that didn't really exist. That video is an example of it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ilitarist posted:

I don't think people here don't want you to like Vic2, the problem comes when ignoring the flaws is combined with romantic/reactionary lust for a past that didn't really exist. That video is an example of it.

Are you under the impression people here ever stopped playing vicky 2?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think Imperator and Stellaris have demonstrated that Victoria 2 is in fact the future.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

STOP LIKING THINGS

Senior Dog posted:

I still play Victoria 2 often. What color does this make my glasses?

Also you should stop getting infuriated over people liking things you don’t. That’s insane

You both seem to be misunderstanding me a bit, I still play Darkest Hour and Victoria 2 regularly and can definitely see merits in both of those games that are somewhat lacking in later titles. Paradox has definitely grown as a developer however and it sometimes frustrates me that its not appreciated more by a significant portion of the fanbase. Victoria 2 especially would've ended up way better under Paradox's new post-launch support.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Vichan posted:

Victoria 2 especially would've ended up way better under Paradox's new post-launch support.

Pretty sure it would. But I'm not sure modern Paradox would ever put arcane systems like POP promotions or world market in a game today. Or systems that beg for Excel UI like country influence. And I don't think Victoria 2 would have a cult following with systems that are made in a way you can't tell wether they work or not.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

Pretty sure it would. But I'm not sure modern Paradox would ever put arcane systems like POP promotions or world market in a game today. Or systems that beg for Excel UI like country influence. And I don't think Victoria 2 would have a cult following with systems that are made in a way you can't tell wether they work or not.

As I said, old Paradox definitely had their merits. It does make me curious how Victoria 3 will turn out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'd bet like Imperator Rome, but louder.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vichan posted:

You both seem to be misunderstanding me a bit, I still play Darkest Hour and Victoria 2 regularly and can definitely see merits in both of those games that are somewhat lacking in later titles. Paradox has definitely grown as a developer however and it sometimes frustrates me that its not appreciated more by a significant portion of the fanbase. Victoria 2 especially would've ended up way better under Paradox's new post-launch support.

I'm not sure how I was supposed to get this from your previous post, but I agree. In fact, it's exactly why I want a Victoria 3

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Vichan posted:

I dunno, I glance at how Stellaris, Hoi and Imperator all started out (and still is for good 'ole rome) and how bloated and messy eu4 is and think maaaybe it's for the best

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

I dunno, I glance at how Stellaris, Hoi and Imperator all started out (and still is for good 'ole rome) and how bloated and messy eu4 is and think maaaybe it's for the best

OK I'm on Vichan's side now. Did you play the original CK or HOI3 (lol) or even vicky2 before HoD?

I also think you might be overstating the case on EU4 but that's a tedious argument we've had in this thread enough times already.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Add even more micromanagement to Vicky 3. Let me direct where trains go to optimize my goods to market.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put the Hearts of Iron 3 supply system into Victoria 3.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They've already added HoI-style battleplans in Victoria 2 in an expansion. It was weird.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ilitarist posted:

They've already added HoI-style battleplans in Victoria 2 in an expansion. It was weird.

they were literally just cosmetics you could put on the map

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

they were literally just cosmetics you could put on the map

Yeah the video linked earlier is literally the only time I've seen them used, because the only thing you can use them for is when you're talking about some theoretical example thing. They don't have any gameplay function at all.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, that's part of why it was weird. Also it had fronts for some reason.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the real pro take on Vicky 3 is not that people will compare it negativity to Vicky 2 after 10 years, it's that well compare it negativly to Vicky 2 with mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

the real pro take on Vicky 3 is not that people will compare it negativity to Vicky 2 after 10 years, it's that well compare it negativly to Vicky 2 with mods

Honestly I'm not even a huge fan of Vicky 2 mods. They're neat but I don't think they fundamentally alter the base game so much that it becomes an impossible standard to meet. Most of the improvements they make are kind of common sense things that you would expect Paradox to do anyway, mostly because they've already done it in their newer games anyway.