Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird that he's a Guinan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Re: how tired PStew sounds, he's definitely exaggerating it quite a bit for the role. I recently watched an interview with him and a few co-stars and he does certainly sound older and sort of "slower" in a way (like speaking in more measured tones), but not anywhere near that "tired."

Yeah but it's still about 1000 light years thick. Otoh, it's about 100,000 light years across, so with a diameter/height ratio of 100:1, you can definitely say it's "thin" so I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGGEymAXD7s

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 7, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Episode of DS9 where O'brien's life is saved because his wife doesn't know him as well as she thought.

Next episode is all O'brien, did he have a deal to have a certain number of episodes based around him or what?

He mentions enjoying making these aliens read his "sexy letters" to his wife. Are those letters available in some wiki or comic or something?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 7, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

Episode of DS9 where O'brien's life is saved because his wife doesn't know him as well as she thought.

Next episode is all O'brien, did he have a deal to have a certain number of episodes based around him or what?

He mentions enjoying making these aliens read his "sexy letters" to his wife. Are those letters available in some wiki or comic or something?
Colm Meaney was a good actor, and he was kind of the Everyman character, and also I think there was someone in the writers corps who hated the Irish; all these combine to the truth that O'Brien must suffer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You ain't kiddin'. This episode we find out he's a replicant. The show insinuates it's the real O'brien but we as the audience totally see the twist and realize he's the replicant successfully replacing the original. Tragic but also it doesn't matter, they're identical in every way apparently.

He's not bad but I can't just help but see him as the lonely transporter man from those comics.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
O'Brien does get some kickass moments from time to time, not enough to fully balance all the crap he goes through, but still.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is that a Breen ship at 1:43?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

You ain't kiddin'. This episode we find out he's a replicant. The show insinuates it's the real O'brien but we as the audience totally see the twist and realize he's the replicant successfully replacing the original. Tragic but also it doesn't matter, they're identical in every way apparently.

He's not bad but I can't just help but see him as the lonely transporter man from those comics.

I can't tell, from this description alone, which episode of DS9 you're talking about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think using the Breen is not a bad idea . They are almost TOS-esque baddies, evil slavers and they're jerks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I can't tell, from this description alone, which episode of DS9 you're talking about.
There’s only one episode where O’Brien gets replaced with a clone

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Show wastes its entire CGI budget for the season on a 3-second shot of a Breen finally removing their helmet

kicker: it would have looked better in practical fx

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Massive controversy in the community when it turns out the Picard prop team accidentally grabbed the Boussh from Star Wars helmet instead of the Breen helmet and nobody noticed until the show was already released

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Breen were the bald disco Klingons all along, hiding their facial prosthetics for shame

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s only one episode where O’Brien gets replaced with a clone

In Visionary, Obrien dies and is replaced by himself from 5 hours in the future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah there's one replicant clone and one time clone

And on an unrelated note lol at Rom taking Nog's blood in his sleep after he came back from federation summer camp because he thought he was a changeling

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah there's one replicant clone and one time clone

Plus one Changeling clone (well, impostor anyway) on Earth.

And of course Smiley.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sometimes even the compliments to O'Brien are insulting. He's not good enough to be evil in the mirror universe.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sometimes even the compliments to O'Brien are insulting. He's not good enough to be evil in the mirror universe.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Office Space, the final frontier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Office Space, the final frontier.

Just in case you haven't seen it: https://chiefobrienatwork.com/

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Security is so lax on the E-D I suspect anyone could do that. From a replicator in their room.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched Nemesis last night. I remembered almost nothing from seeing it at the cinema, except it being bad. And I remembered right, it's bad.

The space battle was mostly cool, I really liked them firing phasers all over the place to try to find the cloaked ship. It was nice to see Riker and Troi getting married.

Nothing to do with Shinzon made any sense at all. How did he build the huge super ship? Why are the Romulans down with his plan? Why do the Remans follow Shinzon? Why is he a Picard clone at all? Wouldn't this movie make more sense if he was just a regular Romulan?

I remember at the time liking the Romulus scenes, but looking at them now they are ridiculously Roman. Why is the Romulan senate so tiny? Just doing Rome but a bit futurey is so unimaginative.

Troi getting psychically raped, yet again. gently caress's sake.

Lol at the Picard driving scene.

Is there a good article or video that talks about why this movie is the way it is? Like why does Brent Spiner have a story credit?

Now I'm up to date for the Picard show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Brent Spiner is/was pals with Nemesis writer John Logan and I think they hatched up a lot of the story together. Also I think Patrick Stewart had a major hand in the story too, IIRC.

Moral of the story: actors do not automatically make good storytellers

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Show wastes its entire CGI budget for the season on a 3-second shot of a Breen finally removing their helmet

kicker: it would have looked better in practical fx

Breen removes helmet to reveal smaller helmet inside.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

Breen removes DS9-era practical helmet to reveal ultra-HD CGI smaller helmet inside

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sash! posted:

I think you are missing the obvious.

Breen removes helmet to reveal....

:spock:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Why are the Romulans down with his plan?

This is what the first scene in the senate was about. The military officer says basically Shinzon’s “forces” have his backing but he gets shot down by civilian leadership. Then the military officer leaves, the female senator leaves and then her bomb lost-arks the civilian leadership. It was all a conspiracy by the military to wipe out those Romulan leaders who opposed Tom Hardy

marktheando posted:

Why do the Remans follow Shinzon?

He explains this to Picard, he’s a revolutionary who pumped them all up by promising he would liberate them from Romulan control. A better question would be why they stay unanimously loyal to him now that that has been achieved.

marktheando posted:

I remember at the time liking the Romulus scenes, but looking at them now they are ridiculously Roman. Why is the Romulan senate so tiny? Just doing Rome but a bit futurey is so unimaginative.

Rome but a bit futurey is all romulans have ever been. The real sin is that romulans are still so boring and don’t do anything remotely interesting with “space romans”, which is a great idea even if you just rip off actual history. Trek writers can’t even be bothered to do that and just default to “they’re mean and their ships are invisible” most of the time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

This is what the first scene in the senate was about. The military officer says basically Shinzon’s “forces” have his backing but he gets shot down by civilian leadership. Then the military officer leaves, the female senator leaves and then her bomb lost-arks the civilian leadership. It was all a conspiracy by the military to wipe out those Romulan leaders who opposed Tom Hardy

Yeah I get what happened, but not why. They don't really establish why he has the military's support for his dumb genocidal plan. Are they just scared of his big ship? And there's no pushback from any other Romulans except for when Shinzon's own people get cold feet?

skasion posted:

He explains this to Picard, he’s a revolutionary who pumped them all up by promising he would liberate them from Romulan control. A better question would be why they stay unanimously loyal to him now that that has been achieved.

Shinzon basically treats the Remans terribly. Except for the Viceroy who he's all touchy feely with.

skasion posted:

Rome but a bit futurey is all romulans have ever been. The real sin is that romulans are still so boring and don’t do anything remotely interesting with “space romans”, which is a great idea even if you just rip off actual history. Trek writers can’t even be bothered to do that and just default to “they’re mean and their ships are invisible” most of the time.

Like they could have done some really cool interesting with a futuristic ancient rome, some crazy oppressive sci fi fascist mega-architecture or something. Instead it's just slightly futuristic ancient Rome. I know other Star Treks were the same, but this is the first time they have movie money to give us a real cool Romulus. A missed opportunity.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

marktheando posted:

Yeah I get what happened, but not why. They don't really establish why he has the military's support for his dumb genocidal plan. Are they just scared of his big ship? And there's no pushback from any other Romulans except for when Shinzon's own people get cold feet?

Shinzon is Romulan Trump.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

I think you are missing the obvious.

Breen removes helmet to reveal....

:spock:

Lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

They wanted to gently caress the federation up and figured Shinzon and his enormous super ship that he pulled out of his butt would be more likely to do that than the wimpy civilian leaders. They didn’t want to actually destroy all humans though, just beat them and conquer some stuff.

As for pushback he basically gets nothing but. First the senate gets melted for rejecting his political program and the commanders take over. Then the commanders start arguing with him as soon as he starts fawning over Picard instead of blitzkrieging the feds, the woman commander tries to seduce him if I recall (been ages since I watched this piece of poo poo). Even Reman Perlman complains about him wanting to play with himself all day. Then the commanders openly break with him over his genocide plan and general craziness and actively stab him in the back.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Brent Spiner is/was pals with Nemesis writer John Logan and I think they hatched up a lot of the story together. Also I think Patrick Stewart had a major hand in the story too, IIRC.

Moral of the story: actors do not automatically make good storytellers

Especially actors who have been playing the same characters for 10+ years straight and are desperate to change things up a little.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Masks!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I think that if one were to actually fully grasp Nemesis it would be even worse. Abandon your quest for understanding while you still can and never watch it again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

Masks!

Unironically fantastic, gently caress the haters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I think that if one were to actually fully grasp Nemesis it would be even worse. Abandon your quest for understanding while you still can and never watch it again.

yeah its like if you ever actually could understand what was going on in Trump's mind.... yours would be lost forever

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Masks needed another draft. The ending acts like this was all about Data, but all the action of the episode is driven by Picard trying to figure out what’s going on. Spiner is the center of the episode and he does a great job both as Data and the various gods, but Data is peripheral to the action by nature. He can’t interact with what’s going on, because what’s going on is that Data is submerged by these other personas.

Imo the script should cut to the chase more quickly, get Data possessed within a couple scenes, and focus more on Picard trying to understand the aliens (not often you can say that about a TNG episode). As it is, Picard does figure out what’s happening on the most basic level — it’s a sun-moon myth — but he doesn’t learn anything satisfying about it. WHY did this alien library possess the power to do what it did? Why, of all things, did it use that power to tell an astrological myth? Masaka is the sun and Korgano is the moon — so what?

7-8 hours of TNG movies, less than one hour of Masks. There’s no justice.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

skasion posted:

Masks needed another draft. The ending acts like this was all about Data, but all the action of the episode is driven by Picard trying to figure out what’s going on. Spiner is the center of the episode and he does a great job both as Data and the various gods, but Data is peripheral to the action by nature. He can’t interact with what’s going on, because what’s going on is that Data is submerged by these other personas.

Imo the script should cut to the chase more quickly, get Data possessed within a couple scenes, and focus more on Picard trying to understand the aliens (not often you can say that about a TNG episode). As it is, Picard does figure out what’s happening on the most basic level — it’s a sun-moon myth — but he doesn’t learn anything satisfying about it. WHY did this alien library possess the power to do what it did? Why, of all things, did it use that power to tell an astrological myth? Masaka is the sun and Korgano is the moon — so what?

7-8 hours of TNG movies, less than one hour of Masks. There’s no justice.

I know Spiner said he doesn't like that episode because he only got the script a day or two before filming and he didn't feel prepared enough to shoot, so it was probably written super quickly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Masks is great compared to Nemesis.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is fair. It had been so long that I totally forgotten most of the stuff that happens in the movie. Now I'm all re-watched ready for the Picard show I don't need to ever watch it again. Hopefully less dune buggy stuff in the new show.