Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Jan 23 is my birthday, thanks for this great gift, Star Trek!

Just as likely to be the worst gift ever if we are being real here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Maybe I'm too harsh but that Picard trailer really didn't make me optimistic, seems like it's basically Nostalgia + generic "save the world" adventure plot that is dragging grandpa Picard along with some kids for the action.
I have a bad feeling about this.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean hopefully Chabon is keeping Stewart’s sometimes uh, “creative” suggestions in check.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they've taken to heart some of the blowback against recent Trek for being depressing, tone deaf and outright nonsensical, but the fact that they're leaning hard into the fanservice again doesn't really bode well and if you take all the references out of that trailer you're not left with much

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Watch the two trailers back to back and it’s obvious whatever went wrong with the federation starts with the Picard series.

Both seasons are going to end with a crossover where Disco and a bunch of TNG cast in XXL uniforms save the future.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also glad to see Will has picked up Deanna’s love for hot fudge sundaes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Picard saying the Federation needs to return to its ideals is...worrisome to me. We'll see though because it's not like I'm going to stop paying for All Access or anything crazy like that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Humerus posted:

We'll see though because it's not like I'm going to start paying for All Access or anything crazy like that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

Maybe they've taken to heart some of the blowback against recent Trek for being depressing, tone deaf and outright nonsensical, but the fact that they're leaning hard into the fanservice again doesn't really bode well and if you take all the references out of that trailer you're not left with much

FWIW, my girlfriend who doesnt like Star Trek said she would watch it because it looked like an emotional story about an old man that was about something besides pew pew.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Drink-Mix Man posted:

FWIW, my girlfriend who doesnt like Star Trek said she would watch it because it looked like an emotional story about an old man that was about something besides pew pew.

Your girlfriend has a fetish for octogenarians.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Humerus posted:

Picard saying the Federation needs to return to its ideals is...worrisome to me. We'll see though because it's not like I'm going to stop paying for All Access or anything crazy like that.

The Federation becoming timid and closed in after the Dominion War seems reasonable to me. Not LOL FEDERATION BAD but I could see Starfleet command thinking maybe poking around everywhere isn't a great idea after getting both the Borg and the Dominion's attention in a relatively short period of time. Plus whatever went wrong with Picard's mission to the Romulans.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s going to be an emotional story about an old man while a bunch of young people do the pew pew around him, with the exception of a fencing match for some reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'll pay for all access while the seasons are being released for both Discovery and Picard so they keep making Trek. I'll still go to Sweden though for sweet sweet archive copies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pick posted:

We don't know if it's the biggest. The maps are largely unofficial and 2d also.

To be fair our galaxy is 2d-ish as well, it's not a ridiculous way to represent things.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Re: how tired PStew sounds, he's definitely exaggerating it quite a bit for the role. I recently watched an interview with him and a few co-stars and he does certainly sound older and sort of "slower" in a way (like speaking in more measured tones), but not anywhere near that "tired."

feedmegin posted:

To be fair our galaxy is 2d-ish as well, it's not a ridiculous way to represent things.

Yeah but it's still about 1000 light years thick. Otoh, it's about 100,000 light years across, so with a diameter/height ratio of 100:1, you can definitely say it's "thin" so I dunno.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 6, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CPColin posted:

Rene survived the fire and joined Section 31

The fire was a deep cover black op, both Robert and Rene are fine, just working off world for Section 31.

TraderStav posted:

I'll pay for all access while the seasons are being released for both Discovery and Picard so they keep making Trek. I'll still go to Sweden though for sweet sweet archive copies.

They'll keep making Trek as it is now, which is why I'm not paying for All Access.

I'm also not obtaining archive copies or watching it by any other means though (at least Disco, jury's out on Picard yet)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I've decided I'm still pretty excited about Picard. I mean, Data looks weird but it's far from the dumbest looking thing in Star Trek.

The show looks partly like something I always wanted from the TNG movies, which is to see the characters go through different phases in life and get into different types of stories rather than 2-hour big budget episodes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There are at least a million trekkies out there that will pay for more Star Trek regardless if they hate it or not, CBS doesn't really need your help if that's influencing your choices at all

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

There are at least a million trekkies out there that will pay for more Star Trek regardless if they hate it or not, CBS doesn't really need your help if that's influencing your choices at all

It's not

Just lol at the idea of throwing money at a huge media conglomerate as a show of support, as if I'm supporting a small mom and pop startup or something

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Really nostalgia + Patrick Stewart's talent for elevating sub par material means I'll probably enjoy the Picard show a lot even if it's pretty bad.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've decided I'm still pretty excited about Picard. I mean, Data looks weird but it's far from the dumbest looking thing in Star Trek.

The show looks partly like something I always wanted from the TNG movies, which is to see the characters go through different phases in life and get into different types of stories rather than 2-hour big budget episodes.

I was thinking recently how all the Star Trek movies, including the TOS ones, didn't do enough with the concept of 'years later'. Like, sure Kirk was briefly an admiral, Bones and Spock away, Chekov on the Reliant, Sulu a captain - shake things up more like that! I guess you can only do a 'putting the band back together' story once without it being stupid, but yeah. TNG at the very least should've had a movie where Captain Riker has the Enterprise, Geordi his own command, Data's off somewhere else.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CPColin posted:

I laughed at the Vasquez Rocks cameo in the Picard trailer!

same

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

The Federation becoming timid and closed in after the Dominion War seems reasonable to me. Not LOL FEDERATION BAD but I could see Starfleet command thinking maybe poking around everywhere isn't a great idea after getting both the Borg and the Dominion's attention in a relatively short period of time. Plus whatever went wrong with Picard's mission to the Romulans.
They could even have a very sensible and logical broad idea for it - "We're going to explore ourselves for a while, while we rebuild and recover," and it just never actually turns back out.

As for their size I got the feeling that the Federales were the biggest dog on the block but were neither so big that other nations weren't credible threats or that an alliance of two would have put them on the backfoot. The Dominion seemed to clearly be economically/militarily more powerful than they, but limited by access through the wormhole. The Feds were also big enough that the Dominion couldn't beat them before the weakness in the species they used as their proxies of power became glaring and apparent.

It seemed pretty clear that the Dominion was also not, culturally, used to losing conflicts, and I expect their go-to response to major reverses (especially if they threatened the personal safety of a Founder) was to just start exterminating the indigenous population, even if this accomplished nothing as it did on Cardassia.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So with Data in the field, maybe Picard is hallucinating him instead of having a holodeck program like it seemed in the last trailer. Or Picard has a ton of holosuite programs of Data in various positions.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It would be interesting if he still has that space Alzheimer's

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thom12255 posted:

So with Data in the field, maybe Picard is hallucinating him instead of having a holodeck program like it seemed in the last trailer. Or Picard has a ton of holosuite programs of Data in various positions.

He's also in his D uniform so I'm guessing dream.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It would be interesting if he still has that space Alzheimer's

Oh poo poo. I mean in AGT, didn’t they imply that’s still in his future, but it won’t take hold just yet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Oh poo poo. I mean in AGT, didn’t they imply that’s still in his future, but it won’t take hold just yet?
That future was created by Q so I wouldn’t think it’s reliable

Also Troi dies in that future

I didn’t realize that this show is supposed to be set around 2399/2400 (20 years after Nemesis which is in 2379). Romulus blows up in 2387 so this is way after that

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

davidspackage posted:

I was thinking recently how all the Star Trek movies, including the TOS ones, didn't do enough with the concept of 'years later'. Like, sure Kirk was briefly an admiral, Bones and Spock away, Chekov on the Reliant, Sulu a captain - shake things up more like that! I guess you can only do a 'putting the band back together' story once without it being stupid, but yeah. TNG at the very least should've had a movie where Captain Riker has the Enterprise, Geordi his own command, Data's off somewhere else.
But doing different things is haaaaaaard and scaaaaaaary!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I have been excited from the very start because SirPatStew, but I readily admit it will be a tragedy if, basically as a worst case scenario, his performance is great and maybe even his lines are great, but the entire rest of the show is flaming dogshit. Awful enough that even the presence of pstew does nothing to make it better. This would be extremely for me (and p much everyone here), but thankfully there are enough people out there eating up any Trek Dreck that CBS can poo poo out, so I'm not too worried about the "damaging the entire franchise" angle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm not too worried about the "damaging the entire franchise" angle.

The franchise has been so damaged at this point I don't think about this at all either.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That's one positive aspect of our current copyright laws. If you want Star Trek you gotta put up with whatever junk CBS puts out, because nobody else is allowed to make it for probably another 50+ years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That future was created by Q so I wouldn’t think it’s reliable

Bev does some tests and finds precursors to the space Alzheimer's in the present though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's not

Just lol at the idea of throwing money at a huge media conglomerate as a show of support, as if I'm supporting a small mom and pop startup or something

That's why you should donate to Axanar!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if the way that Generation and Voyager ended with big forecasts of the future are what caused the franchise to abandon continuing the timeline for so long. Something about writers not wanting to confront those future details yet somehow don't want to try doing a new start leaving behind most of the previous series like Next Generation did at its beginning. Or maybe Enterprise was its own thing for its own reasons, but the weird time travel junk that IT brought in threatened to confuse the canon too much.

And eventually they decided that the exact specific characters and setting of the original series were the real Star Trek that the franchise needed to get back to and made the new movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How the gently caress does Jake get his apartment so messy in 9 hours.

Did he change clothes 5 times that day?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was expecting the Admiral that Picard is yelling with to be Janeway again.

This series basically looks like Discovery but with the budget to milk TNG nostalgia since trying to go back to the well of milking TOS has dried up now TEN YEARS AFTER JJTREK (jesus christ time flies).

But I guess we can thank Discovery for lowering the bar so loving much that I guess this doesn't have to do much to at least be better than that?

I'll laff if it is somehow worse though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

"End station commander's log."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You have to replicate a lot of clothes to gradually approach the ugliest possible outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Badass Sisko quote: "I didn't beg, I blackmailed you."

This episode Rivals is pretty good so far. I am wondering what the hell the deal with this magic 8-ball gambling machine is. Like, I know it's going to lead to the con man's ruin, it's "cursed," but what's the appeal of it? A random number generator with lights? Is there something going on I am missing or are we just supposed to accept it for the plot device it is?