Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Poil posted:

Or just be Eleanor and open up access if you don't start with it.

Oh be like me and get the World Congress vote for immigration to pop up and make one of your neighbors get +pop growth and -5 loyalty a turn in all cities. :getin: One of the meanest things you can get as Eleanor, especially when mixed with spies knocking out any governors they're using to prop up their falling loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes that's absolutely hilarious when it happens and you pull it off. Also she makes the diplomat governor a good early choice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

The Terra map made me realise something.
I thought that I wanted an in-depth geo-strategic simulator featuring the rise and fall of empires and the contingencies of history. What I really want is all my numbers going up all of the time forever.

great, another Beyond Earth fan :rolleyes:

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Beyond Earth actually owns and i genuinely hope a sequel is in the works synthesizing what they learned from 6 with the writing from BE1.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd like a pony too, but after seeing the progression from V->BE->6 I can see a pattern on where their priorities lie.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serephina posted:

I'd like a pony too, but after seeing the progression from V->BE->6 I can see a pattern on where their priorities lie.

And what's that?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
it's a hex pattern :rimshot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Leader screens for Civ 7 looking hyper realistic

(from here https://www.boredpanda.com/mister-global-2019-national-costume)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

been trying out a mod that gives every AI the aggressive agenda's of other civs (hates neighbours, nuke-happy, ignore warmongering..). It's called Aggressive AI Overhaul.

It's almost too much! Everyone wants to fight their closest neighbours all the time. Just like real life! It's pretty interesting to watch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Leader screens for Civ 7 looking hyper realistic

(from here https://www.boredpanda.com/mister-global-2019-national-costume)

yes yes yes and yes

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Great game overall to play while doing something else.
I wish they'd do something about the AI's passive-aggressive agenda though.
Having to reject tribute demands/lovely deals every 5 or so turns makes things extra repetitive.

At least I don't have to see those "Oh, you were friends with that CS I just robbed blind?" messages from Civ 5.

Oh, and I suck so I find AI to be enough of a challenge to me on Prince. Mostly because they have strategic resources I don't.
They have yet to take a city from me by force but they don't have to. They just use horses to gently caress my infrastructure :arghfist::saddowns:

Avirosb fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 1, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Use the mod that makes it so the AI doesn't contact you as much.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Considering how many bonuses the AI get on higher difficulties, does it make any difference if you run pillage campaigns on an enemy? Rather than take their cities, just burning down all their infrastructure? Or does it not matter when they get free stuff dropped on them constantly?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm never sure if constant pillaging causes grievances, but it's often better to leave their cities and just make loadsa money off their improvements.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
When I'm at war I generally do a fair amount of pillaging unless I've already got like 10,000 gold banked. I don't pillage campuses, industrial zones, or commercial hubs unless I know I can't/won't capture the city they belong to. Because repairing them takes an exorbitant number of turns.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Can you guys help clarify adjacency bonuses a bit? I'm wondering if it's worth going out of my way to get an extra +1 bonus on a district when building. Like taking down a mine tile to get an extra +1 science on a campus.

Given the fact that district buildings end up dwarfing that initial bonus fairly quickly. I'm wondering if the initial bonus is multiplied out or compounded beyond the policy cards that add 100% adjacency later in the game. Is there some mechanic that makes that initial bonus a fundamentally important figure?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

former glory posted:

Can you guys help clarify adjacency bonuses a bit? I'm wondering if it's worth going out of my way to get an extra +1 bonus on a district when building. Like taking down a mine tile to get an extra +1 science on a campus.

Given the fact that district buildings end up dwarfing that initial bonus fairly quickly. I'm wondering if the initial bonus is multiplied out or compounded beyond the policy cards that add 100% adjacency later in the game. Is there some mechanic that makes that initial bonus a fundamentally important figure?
There are two cards that effect/rely on campus adjacency. Rationalism and the one that doubles the bonus you mentioned. Rationalism adds an additional 50% output if the campus has +4 or more adjacency. You can run both cards and the bonuses stack. (You want this).

TLDR: it's usually worth losing something like a mine for it unless your city is desperate for hammers.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
What I don't bother worrying too much about is commercial hub adjacency. You'll usually get +2 or 0 and I often choose a 0 because I'd rather have a triangle farm in a given spot for midgame.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Oh, I see, great point. I just looked up the Rationalism type cards and it looks like aside from the standard 100% overall district bonus, it yields another 50% if the adjacency is at least 3 AND pop > 10. (The wiki said 3, maybe it's 4?) So going from a +2 to +3 is very important sacrifice everything to do it, but a +1 to 2 jump not so much I guess. That's a pretty important spike.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Not directly about current district discussion, but here are a couple informative guides by
PotatoMcWhiskey: How to get 40% off Districts and How to get +50 production from Industrial Zones.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Wow, Civ6 for consoles will cost a whopping 110 bucks at launch.

Or you could just pay 60 for the vanilla version. I was thinking about picking it up for PS4 but I guess I'll stay with the pc version for now. I'd miss my mods too much probably anyway.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What I don't bother worrying too much about is commercial hub adjacency. You'll usually get +2 or 0 and I often choose a 0 because I'd rather have a triangle farm in a given spot for midgame.

Generally speaking, I'd rather take a harbor than a commercial hub anyway, given the choice. Unless I have a really good adjacency bonus, or I'm one of the civs that really benefits from having a comm. hub (Poland, I think a couple others?) it's harder to give up a workable land tile than it is a coastal tile. Since the main benefit of either one is gold + the trade route, and you can't get stack the trade routes, it's an easy decision.

Of course I'm bad at the game so that's probably wrong, but oh well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread! So I only played a few games of vanilla a few months after release, and linked videos above seem to imply that Industrial Zones are less junk now. Is it worth installing to play Vanilla again, or would the things that drove me up a wall (District price scaling, Ineffectual AI) make me regret reinstalling? I'd go play Civ5 but I think I've beaten that horse well enough.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Serephina posted:

or would the things that drove me up a wall (District price scaling, Ineffectual AI) make me regret reinstalling?

Those problems are still there, although you can install a mod to get rid of the district production cost scaling.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Shooting Blanks posted:

Generally speaking, I'd rather take a harbor than a commercial hub anyway, given the choice. Unless I have a really good adjacency bonus, or I'm one of the civs that really benefits from having a comm. hub (Poland, I think a couple others?) it's harder to give up a workable land tile than it is a coastal tile. Since the main benefit of either one is gold + the trade route, and you can't get stack the trade routes, it's an easy decision.

No, you're totally right! Especially with the recent buffs to harbors and great admirals.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not to mention harbors also gives production, food, a bit of housing, makes tiles better and so on. Usually a decent chance to get +1 adjacency with a waterpark too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And docks don’t unlock the Siphon Funds mission so you can have a city be a trade hub without permanently tying up a spy to keep the AI from stealing all your gold.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I never play games anymore without the disable holy site mod and disable spies mod.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was thinking today: Ive played more than a dozen of Civ 6 games so far, in prince, king and emperor, and I never seem the AI use bombers. And bombers are by far the most effective unit against cities on the game (and strong against units too)

I mean, the AI is not only bad at using its units, its really bad at choosing them too. Like in most wars I defended against, they strike with usually too much cavalry & melee units and too few ranged and bombard units

I think the AI could get a lot more dangerous just by putting more weight on the types of units there are really effective for an invasion, instead of seemingly picking them at random

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was thinking today: Ive played more than a dozen of Civ 6 games so far, in prince, king and emperor, and I never seem the AI use bombers. And bombers are by far the most effective unit against cities on the game (and strong against units too)

I mean, the AI is not only bad at using its units, its really bad at choosing them too. Like in most wars I defended against, they strike with usually too much cavalry & melee units and too few ranged and bombard units

I think the AI could get a lot more dangerous just by putting more weight on the types of units there are really effective for an invasion, instead of seemingly picking them at random

Yeah, the combat AI is trash. It's a big problem in a game where every playstyle comes down to "fight them or let them win".

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I've never built fighters or AA before, come to think of it, because the bombing is usually one-way. They do occasionally build fighters to protect themselves though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
:same:

I did built some fighters on one of my first Civ 6 games, but then I realized it wanst necessary, since the AI will never use bombers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Yeah, the combat AI is trash.
Don't forget the entire rest of the AI, also.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
PLEASE tell me someone here holds the arcane and forgotten knowledge of HOW TO RUN MULTIPLAYER CIV4 WITH MODS. Joining through steamworks reboots the game and unloads the mod before joining the lobby. Direct IP doesn't work because I'm on a sub network.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Average Bear posted:

PLEASE tell me someone here holds the arcane and forgotten knowledge of HOW TO RUN MULTIPLAYER CIV4 WITH MODS. Joining through steamworks reboots the game and unloads the mod before joining the lobby. Direct IP doesn't work because I'm on a sub network.

Not sure if it'll solve things but have you set the mod folder name as the default launch option? Like for example

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Interesting, I'll give that a shot.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You might want to try asking on Civ's inevitable reddit page, I imagine they do MP games still.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Civilization Players League definitely hosts games still, but they have a lot of rules are run certain balance mods so it takes some getting used to.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Competitive Civ players have a fair amount of AIDS due to memorizing the optimal research and tech paths that aren't apparent from regular gameplay so I'll pass. I just like playing high fantasy civ with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Average Bear posted:

Competitive Civ players have a fair amount of AIDS due to memorizing the optimal research and tech paths that aren't apparent from regular gameplay so I'll pass. I just like playing high fantasy civ with friends.
This is very true and I'm the same way. If you're looking for more casual games, there's a goon civ discord here:

https://discord.gg/aNGrvYg