Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What's the alternative? Annex Greater Kurdistan into the American foreverwar and stick around for another couple generations of Operation Bomb Dirt? Just move them all to Nebraska?

yeah it'd actually be really good to let them move here as asylum seekers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Berke Negri posted:

yeah it'd actually be really good to let them move here as asylum seekers
Nebraska is a fate worse than death, but I agree.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
maybe the un will do something!!

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean short of giving the Kurds an a-bomb on the way out the Turks were always going to do their level best to murder them all the second the last American got on a plane.

The only real alternative would be to stay until Erdogan drops dead and hope the next insane dictator in charge of Turkey has something better to do than try for a genocide speedrun.

Then stay? I can't read this in a way that doesn't say they are destined for a mass grave, so why mess with fate.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Ice Phisherman posted:

America should have been in Syria long enough to murder the gently caress out of Bashar al-Assad for dropping barrel bombs on civilians. For those not in the know, they're the oil barrel sized equivalent of pipe-bombs that he's used to murder his people.

So no. Syria didn't have to turn into a mess. At one point al-Assad only had about 500 troops who were loyal to him but he did have a working air force. If those helicopters were shot down he'd be little more than some pissant warlord and the greatest murder of civilians in a single conflict in the 21st century wouldn't have happened.

The 2000s called, they want their neocon takes back.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Spoke Lee posted:

Then stay? I can't read this in a way that doesn't say they are destined for a mass grave, so why mess with fate.
How many bits of the Middle East does the US need to have permanently invaded? I have never lived in a time when the United States was not kicking the piss out of some bunch of impoverished assholes in the cradle of civilization. It's been 30 goddamn years and absolutely nothing has gotten better because America was there shooting kids and bombing weddings.

There's absolutely no avenue of improvement that involves Americans doing anything other than loving off home.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

the bots responding to this tweet are calling schiff "she". i guess they haven't moved on from hillary yet either

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How many bits of the Middle East does the US need to have permanently invaded? I have never lived in a time when the United States was not kicking the piss out of some bunch of impoverished assholes in the cradle of civilization. It's been 30 goddamn years and absolutely nothing has gotten better because America was there shooting kids and bombing weddings.
I mean, we can do it more like we do Germany, where we have a presence but we're not DOING anything

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There's absolutely no avenue of improvement that involves Americans doing anything other than loving off home.

So then we should reneg on the Kurds and they will be better off fighting Turkey?

Look, I get the argument. And on balance it's the correct one in my worthless opinion. It's just applying a broad philosophy has cases where it doesn't work out for the best. In this specific case do you take the dam you built with on your way out and immediately doom the town, or do you wait till a situation where everyone doesn't die presents itself?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure Rudy hasn't left the front of a camera for the last two weeks. Like he probably just wears a catheter so he doesn't have to stay off of TV.

Rudy probably has an IV drip of booze

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Blaming Ricky Perry.

Didn't see that twist coming.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

J.A.B.C. posted:

Goddamn it. America once again thanks the Kurds by letting them get screwed.

This is such bullshit. How much Kurdish blood rests on Iraqi and Syrian soil to help us? How many lives thrown away in service of our goals for the barest mention of existence?

Of course Trump would skip out on another bill to be paid. Goddamn this corrupt prick, all for his dumb, ugly building and his dumb, ugly ego.

Pretty much doing the same thing we've done to every other non white ally. Native Americans? gently caress them and their people. Black people that fought for the Union and against the British during the revolution? gently caress them and every other black person ever. South Vietnam? Phht, gently caress you and die.
There are others and we have a long long history of peoples we hosed over once they weren't of use to us
When you see the US swooping in to help, give yourself the paper bag test. If you fail it, expect America to stab you in the back as soon as you aren't of use

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 7, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

Blaming Ricky Perry.

Didn't see that twist coming.

To be fair, neither did Rick Perry :v:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

lurker2006 posted:

The 2000s called, they want their neocon takes back.

Allowing dictators to commit mass genocide on their own people is good and cool and we shouldn't do anything about it.

400,000 people have died in Syria and tons of people have fled. It still rages. Doing nothing is bullshit.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Phobic Nest posted:

Sorry man, I don't really mean it. I'm just kind of laughing into the abyss at what's probably our soon extinction.

Ha?

Peace. Do what you can to help to make it all loving stop. That's all.

Meowrrrrrrrrrr tax:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

Allowing dictators to commit mass genocide on their own people is good and cool and we shouldn't do anything about it.

400,000 people have died in Syria and tons of people have fled. It still rages. Doing nothing is bullshit.
Better invade China then I guess. That should go well.

The United States is not the world police or humanity's benevolent daddy. It is not the place of the US to bumble into every genocidal shitshow just to see how much harder we can possibly gently caress it up.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The United States is not the world police or humanity's benevolent daddy. It is not the place of the US to bumble into every genocidal shitshow just to see how much harder we can possibly gently caress it up.

I have to agree with this. Where can or should we draw the line? And should we support an invasion/invade ourselves to protect domestic impoverished populations? It really does suck to say, but not every problem can be solved by trying to bomb that away. We've seen what that leads to in Iraq and Libya.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The US has zero support and credibility for building coalitions and peacekeeping at the moment (and likely for the foreseeable), there is simply no way a US intervention leads to anything but catastrophe right now

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is there no room for putting some kind of pressure on turkey? Sanctions or other diplomatic consequences? It’s not just that the US is abandoning the Kurds to be invaded, it sounds like they’re also providing their approval for it to take place

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Serrath posted:

Is there no room for putting some kind of pressure on turkey? Sanctions or other diplomatic consequences? It’s not just that the US is abandoning the Kurds to be invaded, it sounds like they’re also providing their approval for it to take place

There was a time when we probably could have put some kind of pressure on them, but since 2002ish, we've done nothing but destroy our reputation and erode our soft-power in the name of short-term enrichment of the entrenched interests. "Run America like a business" has been the de facto regime for a lot longer than Dipshit has been the president. Obama put a nice face on it, but unilateral action and indiscriminate murder of government targets via drone strikes still makes other countries angry.

A coalition to stop genocide is morally the correct thing to do, but we've done so much to piss on everyone's good will to us that I don't think we could get a coalition from anyone who wasn't actively being invaded at this point. So in this case, the Kurds would join up, but nobody else would. Virtually everyone hates us, and ... well, they're right to. We are completely undependable and erratic.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
The rub is framing this as a bombing campaign of Turkey to protect the Kurds. It's just literally the current situation plus not greenlighting Turkey. In this case what is the positive effect on the Kurdish people abandoning them and giving their executioner our tacit approval will lead to?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

We know that this person works in the US intelligence community, which is how we know they're bad.

Also the fact that they aren't in prison being tortured already is how we know they're bad, a good person (lol jk there aren't any in the CIA) would already be getting waterboarded in the interest of national security

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/john_hudson/status/1181000627859705856?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah at last this time starting another endless war in the Middle East is a good idea.

(j/k D&D says that about every war)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

Ah yes just like the only reason to oppose invading Iraq was if you loved Saddam right

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is woodward defending him?
I don't think so... the main points I saw Woodward raise were
  • donny is not someone to bend
  • This is a war.
  • Clinton apologised - knowing what we know about donny, he won't.
  • Is this going to be considered a high crime [or misdemeanor, republicans will probably stick.
  • They're [the dems ?] are trying to speed it up. They've said this is all about Ukraine, but there's four hundred other things. This process is too important.
  • Are we going to let the election be a referendum on this?
  • rump is still out there banging on everyone, let's hope it's not a bloody 2020.
The other guy (Peter Baker, the reporter who broke the Clinton scandal) seemed pretty anti-donny and stuck to facts as we know them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/a-war-room-of-one-bob-woodward-and-peter-baker-talk-trump-impeachment/

ImpAtom posted:

I'm trying to figure out who the absolute stupidest person to be a whistleblower could be at this point. Because that's probably who it will be.
Kelly-Anne Conway

donny should probably watch this, or parts of it... I know Samantha Bee is frowned on here, and I totally get why, but that's largely irrelevant for this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdoyBhrfI4

tldw: they love(d) donny in Iraqi Kurdistan, I don't know how they've felt recently...

Yeah... watch this fucker pivot to attention, lockstep.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

wait wait so it's possible that Trump, in a moment of panic, narc'd on someone he doing corrupt poo poo with OR Perry and Trump were trying to do the same thing so Trump is trying to push it all on Perry? Is it likely he did it because they knew this piece was coming out? or Perry just happened to be doing something beneficial for Trump and he's getting thrown under the bus? whatever it is, this is nuts.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes just like the only reason to oppose invading Iraq was if you loved Saddam right

While Saddam was a brutal dictator, he was not actively murdering hundreds of thousands of people before he was deposed. Or at least when he had, the damage had already been done long ago.

I'm not saying invade, I'm saying that killing Assad might very well have spared nearly half a million people, millions from fleeing the country and cities like Aleppo for example would still exist. America didn't need to put boots on the ground. The location of his bunker was known and one good buster would have ended his rear end. He only had 500 loyal troops at one point. That's it. He was all but deposed until he started barrel bombing the Syrian people.

Peace at all costs has a price. Syria as it is today is what it looks like.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 7, 2019

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I forgot that this was almost an entire year in the making. The narrative going around seems to be that Trump just pulled this out of thin air as a flailing distraction when it’s pretty obviously not the case.

I'm not sure why people think that Trump is some 4D unpredictable chess pro.

He's literally the easiest, most predictable, and idiotic man alive

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Helith fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 7, 2019

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mystic Mongol posted:

Georgia? Where it definitely happened, and then the results of the edited vote were allowed to stand by the party apparatus that profited from them?

It also happened in Florida.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1181131054872174592
https://twitter.com/cmoc_sdf/status/1181047356009123840
https://twitter.com/cmoc_sdf/status/1181048082236104704
https://twitter.com/cmoc_sdf/status/1181049500498120704

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

its amazing that all rightwingers think they are perennial victims in everything when in reality they get passes by the media under the false banner of neutrality. Im so fed up with our media. I just want for once an "anchor" to confront these shitheads when they lie or make up conspiracy theories. At what point does Jake Tapper hear someone like Mick Mulvaney or Rudy Giuliani blowing some serious BS and just stop them and say "you are lying". There are never any consequences from the rightwing base because MSM allows these scumbags to grandstand and make soundbytes. This leads to chuds living in a different reality. There is no talking to them or telling them to look something up because we have a scumbag president that calls out "fake news" and because our MSM is trying to craft its own narrative that is more corporate than factual he gets a pass and the chuds believe it.

This is why I say that even if we get Trump out of office we have decades of work to do to fix our "fourth estate". Without a reliable media holding power to account all we have is unaccountable graft.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

While Saddam was a brutal dictator, he was not actively murdering hundreds of thousands of people before he was deposed. Or at least when he had, the damage had already been done long ago.

I'm not saying invade, I'm saying that killing Assad might very well have spared nearly half a million people, millions from fleeing the country and cities like Aleppo for example would still exist. America didn't need to put boots on the ground. The location of his bunker was known and one good buster would have ended his rear end. He only had 500 loyal troops at one point. That's it. He was all but deposed until he started barrel bombing the Syrian people.

Peace at all costs has a price. Syria as it is today is what it looks like.

Yeah the problem with Syria is that it was suffering from a critical lack of US ordinance falling from the sky.

Some more humanitarian bombings and it would be a success story like Libya.

Successful defined from the point of view of slave market operators of course

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1181158373506633728

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

apparently yes, because mark felt didnt end up like he did in that bad watchman game.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah the problem with Syria is that it was suffering from a critical lack of US ordinance falling from the sky.

Some more humanitarian bombings and it would be a success story like Libya.

Successful defined from the point of view of slave market operators of course

Did I somehow call for mass bombings or boots on the ground? You're not even listening.

One bomb on Assad. Send his rear end to hell. That's it.

Before it would have been a lot better for Syria because it would have ended the civil war.

After? Revenge mostly. So he doesn't get to rule the rubble.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

swear to god 1970 glenn greenwald would be like this water gate scandal is just trying to offtrack these paris accords

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

dick the dove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
America might want to sort out its concentration camp problem before attempting to become the moral arbiter of the world.