Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hmm, Philly with 33 runs for 79 yards, second highest ratio... That smells like commitment to the establishing the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
For our purposes runs should count less if they get more yards. Commitment isn't easy

Like a team that gets 500 yards in 25 runs hasn't shown faith, they just took advantage of easy yards. A team that runs 50 times for 25 yards has true faith

Raku fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 3, 2019

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Finger Prince posted:

Hmm, Philly with 33 runs for 79 yards, second highest ratio... That smells like commitment to the establishing the run.

Vote for Philly. Especially since the Packers tried to pass over 63 times.

Run Vs Pass, and faith prevailed.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
You all sold me on Philly.

Any detractors?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Athanatos posted:

You all sold me on Philly.

Any detractors?

I'm counting three votes for the Jags, two for Philly and one Titans and one Vikings. Let's keep the floor open

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Raku posted:

For our purposes runs should count less if they get more yards. Commitment isn't easy

Like a team that gets 500 yards in 25 runs hasn't shown faith, they just took advantage of easy yards. A team that runs 50 times for 25 yards has true faith
I feel the same way more or less. I don’t necessarily have a problem with big yardage, because depending on the game they could be coming from reaping the rewards of establishing the run, but true grit and dedication is when you continue to commit without any signs of success whatsoever.

Play posted:

I'm counting three votes for the Jags, two for Philly and one Titans and one Vikings. Let's keep the floor open
I’m gonna tie it up and go for Philly here. I can’t deny their heart.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’ll put in one for the Jags, because establishing the run and getting yards also serves to establish the run for future games. A meta-establishment, if you will. It's like bowling a strike so that your future strikes grant even bigger rewards.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I'm putting in for the Giants because they did all of that with Wayne Gallman instead of Barkely

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

this is a good run theory. Vote Philly

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Votes so Far:

Jags 5 (Play, Leperflesh, Barudak, Vando, Zoran)

Philadelphia 5 (Athanatos, Finger Prince, Hizawk, japtor, Qwijib0)

Vikings 1 (Beethovens Fist Symphony)

Giants 1 (OxySnake)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Finger Prince posted:

:yeah:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Philly.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Finger Prince posted:

:hmmyes:

Vote for Philly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Philly it is, looks like. Now we look to week 5 to provide us the establishment we so desire. We shall create heaven on earth

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Week 1: The Minnesota Vikings - 46 Attempts for 265 yards, and a 3.80 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 2: The San Francisco 49ers - 42 Run Attempts for 259 yards, and a 1.62 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 3: The Minnesota Vikings - 38 Attempts for 211 yards, and a 1.81 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 4: The Philadelphia Eagles - 33 Attempts for 176 yards, and a 1.22 Run/Pass Ratio

Divisions:
NFC North: 2
NFC West: 1
NFC East: 1
Everyone Else: 0

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Friends, I know we often like to kid around and have a good time, but there may be a very serious problem regarding the run and its establishment.

Please direct your attention to Figure 1, a plot of the attempts and rushing yards for each of the Establish The Run Champions in the 2019 NFL Season:

Figure 1 - Actual Attempts & Yardage for Establish the Run Champion Through Week 4

With Week 4 in the books and a champion crowned, there is a troubling trend. Using linear regression, I have projected these statistics going forward. As you can see in Table 1, it becomes very grim:

Table 1 - Actual and Projected Run Attempts and Yardage for the 2019 NFL Season

As you can see, Week 11 is the last week we can expect to see any running plays attempted. It makes sense for the run to be abandoned at that point, as the few run plays attempted in weeks 10 & 11 will likely result in a net loss of yardage.

Even more frightening, these projections are based on the champions for establishing the run each week. Some of the cowardly teams who already do not embrace the run will likely reach the zero attempt point even earlier than Week 12.

I do not know if it is already too late to avoid this outcome, but we must be optimistic in taking action to prevent a complete collapse of run establishment. Please, contact your team's front office to let them know you are dedicated to the run. If enough fans speak up, we may be able to keep the run established for our children and their children after them.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
With those projections I can say that Miami is the week 17 establish the run champions with -229 yards.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

God bless the NFC. At least half the NFL cares about whats important in footbaw.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kick the Rams out of the NFCW imo. Just 18 rushes last night against Seattle’s 43. Shameful.

Also I’ve decided to stop calling them rushing “attempts”. Do, or do not, as Yoda taught.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'd like to suggest an Establish the Run Play of the Week, where we also vote for the "best" individual run, whatever criteria that entails.

What I'm saying is that 3rd down option play in the 4th quarter of Rams-Hawks deserves some kind of recognition for its attempted creativity in establishing the run.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

With Week 4 in the books and a champion crowned, there is a troubling trend. Using linear regression, I have projected these statistics going forward. As you can see in Table 1, it becomes very grim:

As you can see, Week 11 is the last week we can expect to see any running plays attempted. It makes sense for the run to be abandoned at that point, as the few run plays attempted in weeks 10 & 11 will likely result in a net loss of yardage.

Even more frightening, these projections are based on the champions for establishing the run each week. Some of the cowardly teams who already do not embrace the run will likely reach the zero attempt point even earlier than Week 12.

I do not know if it is already too late to avoid this outcome, but we must be optimistic in taking action to prevent a complete collapse of run establishment. Please, contact your team's front office to let them know you are dedicated to the run. If enough fans speak up, we may be able to keep the run established for our children and their children after them.

This is extremely concerning. I want access to this document to be restricted to the highest levels of our organization. I also want a committee formed to see what can be done about this. I think we can all agree that no methods are too extreme

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My god man, are you actually considering a...

...strongly-worded letter???

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Leperflesh posted:

My god man, are you actually considering a...

...strongly-worded letter???

Woah, woah let's not get too drastic right out of the gate. How about a change.org petition first to signal to the NFL that The Run must be embraced by all?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Eagles ran the ball on 3rd and 30. God bless.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My letter-writing campaign has borne fruit, as the Arizona Cardinals have reversed this trend with a respectable performance of 266 yards rushing on 38 carries in their complete and utter annihilation of the Cincinnati Bengals (trust me, don't worry about checking the game tape).

This was more carries than pass attempts (32) and pass yards (248).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Since it was an odd numbered week, the Vikings again had more rushes than passes (34-27 for a Run Ratio of 1.26). Their passing game was unfortunately productive though, accounting for 306 yards to only 211 rushing yards. With both touchdowns coming through the air, I'm not sure it's quite a championship performance this week, especially with the Raiders, Seahawks, and Cardinals all putting in strong performances.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Are we accounting for strength of defenses?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Looks like the Colts have established the gently caress out of the run

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Week 5: Colts Established the run

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lo the run was established, and it was good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shadow225 posted:

I didn't watch all the games but they've got to be the favorite this week.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Amen

The Colts used The Run to lay low the greatest champions of the pass: Kansas City and the apostate Mahomes. The Run was established early, and often. Lo, their own quarterback established the run with a touchdown, forsaking the vile temptation to pass at the goal line. Even the broadcasters, so quick to heretically praise the pass, could not hold their tongues. "I didn't know this type of football still existed!" spake Collinsworth. And "Quenton Nelson is one of the most exciting players in the NFL, and he plays Guard!". And yea, yet again, "We came to Kansas City for football and a ruby scrum broke out!". And ne'er have I heard such discussion of bodyweight pushing the pile as graced my ears this night.

Go in peace, goon sirs, knowing that the run is firmly established in week 5.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 7, 2019

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Normally I would dock those runs for making too many yards, but they specifically were done to keep the other team from (and I apologize for using this language) *passing* so if anything it counts double. Good job colts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I only caught the 4th quarter of the colts game, but the sheer number of fourth downs converted by the run has got to put them at the top of the standungs this week. I'll wait for the stats, but my (up the) gut feeling says Colts.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

When you think about it, isn't the center snapping the ball basically a pass? Doesn't that make every run a pass?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Quiet Feet posted:

When you think about it, isn't the center snapping the ball basically a pass? Doesn't that make every run a pass?

Not from most formations outside of the gun imho. QB takes the ball right from the hands and rear end

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finger Prince posted:

I only caught the 4th quarter of the colts game, but the sheer number of fourth downs converted by the run has got to put them at the top of the standungs this week. I'll wait for the stats, but my (up the) gut feeling says Colts.

The rest of the game wasn't any better for the Chiefs.

The Colts tried an outside run once and it was terrible and they should have kept going up the gut and would have easily grinded into the end zone. Like they established the run so badly that a running play was an occasion to say 'you hosed up.'

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Quiet Feet posted:

Establishing the Run is about not using the forward pass. A lateral or backwards pass is allowed as long as the ball is advanced up the field by running. Without the lateral there is no option pitch, no reverse, no double reverse.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

My letter-writing campaign has borne fruit, as the Arizona Cardinals have reversed this trend with a respectable performance of 266 yards rushing on 38 carries in their complete and utter annihilation of the Cincinnati Bengals (trust me, don't worry about checking the game tape).

This was more carries than pass attempts (32) and pass yards (248).

Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

CannonFodder posted:

Establishing the Run is about not using the forward pass. A lateral or backwards pass is allowed as long as the ball is advanced up the field by running. Without the lateral there is no option pitch, no reverse, no double reverse.

Double reverses are evil. They attempt to advance by trickery and not grit