Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Tippis posted:

Oh goodie. A list full of adobe services and installers. This will end well. :D

I have that, too. It looks like it's mostly just a bunch of crap that the various installs have left behind. I think the main CC helper dingus will still be fine, along with the applications themselves. Here's hoping! In the middle of designing an expo display in Illustrator, so this is a really bad time to experiment.

Wish me luck. Stoked to try out Sidecar if I don't blow everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, I read that Catalina breaks the non-subscription Adobe products (CS6 etc) because they rely on 32bit libraries and components that will never get updated. :rip:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I feel no sympathy for people using 10 year old graphics software.

Did they change the thing where you have to have the same stupid wallpaper when you boot up?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Ordinarily I would agree, but depriving Adobe of subscription revenue is good praxis.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lunar detritus posted:

Is there a way to tell what is going to stop working if I upgrade to Catalina?

This app was recommended on a Mac centric podcast I just listened to

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Conspiracy theory: Adobe paid Apple a billion dollars to drop 32-bit support to try to get people still happily using old perpetual license software to upgrade to their new subscription model.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For anyone using old non-subscription Photoshop, I recommend Affinity Photo as a replacement for the vast majority of what it does, including sliced exports.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Splinter posted:

Conspiracy theory: Adobe paid Apple a billion dollars to drop 32-bit support to try to get people still happily using old perpetual license software to upgrade to their new subscription model.

that does follow a lot of conspiracy theories in the sense that it purposefully overlooks obvious and is complete horseshit

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been running Catalina since beta 1 and pretty much every 32-bit app that's still being actively developed was updated a couple months ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gay Retard posted:

I've been running Catalina since beta 1 and pretty much every 32-bit app that's still being actively developed was updated a couple months ago.
That only describes like 15% of 32-bit apps though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm running Catalina now on my 2015 MBp. It's Fine! Although aside from Xcode, this is still just my "$2000 Facebook machine" from college. I could count on one hand how many third party applications I use on a regular basis.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wow, Apple Remote Desktop finally got an update to v.3.9.3, bug fixes and Dork Mode.

They must hate updating it, cause the App Store says 3.9 came out 2 years ago and 3.8 was 4 years ago, so they're sticking to their schedule?!

Safari 13.0.2 quietly came out, still has the numerical forums popup bug though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know of any Mac USB scale apps? I used to use a lovely one called MacScale that was terrible but did work. Now it doesn't since its 32bit and I doubt it will since it hasn't been updated since 2013 and I can't find a way to contact the dev. I just want something that can read my Stamps.com scale like it could.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Roadie posted:

For anyone using old non-subscription Photoshop, I recommend Affinity Photo as a replacement for the vast majority of what it does, including sliced exports.

All of the Affinity Things. I've been in the process of Moving from InDesign to Affinity Publisher. It's taking time to adapt my workflow, but man......Affinity StudioLink :gizz:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bob Morales posted:

Did they change the thing where you have to have the same stupid wallpaper when you boot up?

The funny thing is, that is with this year's version — the earliest CC this computer as seen installed is mid 2018. So at most, those traces are from last year. :D

Unfortunately this also shoots the conspiracy theory out of the water since it still happens with the full subscription version of the CC apps as well.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know of any Mac USB scale apps? I used to use a lovely one called MacScale that was terrible but did work. Now it doesn't since its 32bit and I doubt it will since it hasn't been updated since 2013 and I can't find a way to contact the dev. I just want something that can read my Stamps.com scale like it could.

Stamps has a web application now, doesn't it? Or is it (shudder) the drivers that need updating?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Booting the Catalina USB installer gives me the "the install macOS Catalina application is damaged and can't be used" bullshit.

It would only let me proceed when I joined a wireless network in the usual Airport icon pulldown.

Sheesh..

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is it supposed to take like 40 minutes to do the “Setting up...” phase on a 2017 15” pro

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Be aware there appears to be an issue with signing into your apple ID. There must be some new like to your user account. I am unable to log into my apple ID on one of my systems, but the other two work fine. Looks like it was a bug in beta that never got fixed?

When you first sign in it appears to make a change to your mac login user to link it with the apple id? It is apparently not working on some setups. Still looking for a fix but as of now i can't get any iCloud related things on one system but it works fine on two others.

EDIT

FIXED. apparently there is an upgrade to the keychain with Catalina and it craps out sometimes I had to go to the library and rename the keychain folder. reboot and then join iCloud. All my settings from keychain in the cloud downloaded and I was 80% up and going. Had to enter some passwords that were not stored in keychain, resign into the app store and itunes/music and now I appear to be working.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 8, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nitsuga posted:

Stamps has a web application now, doesn't it? Or is it (shudder) the drivers that need updating?

I want to use the scale without their service so I don't think that'l work for me.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

emdash posted:

Is it supposed to take like 40 minutes to do the “Setting up...” phase on a 2017 15” pro

I’m on a 2017 iMac w/ SSD and it’s been that long setting up ...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

You need a MacBook with a butterfly keyboard to use macOS Catalina’s Sidecar

Oh

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The colors on my main display go all weird when I’m using Sidecar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The colors on my main display go all weird when I’m using Sidecar.

Mine go black and red for a split second but once the iPad connects everything is OK.

I wish I could disable the sidebar and touch bar and literally just use that screen real estate for more display :rolleyes: .. If I need those bars let me gesture them in or something..

badjohny posted:

FIXED. apparently there is an upgrade to the keychain with Catalina and it craps out sometimes I had to go to the library and rename the keychain folder. reboot and then join iCloud. All my settings from keychain in the cloud downloaded and I was 80% up and going. Had to enter some passwords that were not stored in keychain, resign into the app store and itunes/music and now I appear to be working.

Thanks for this, it fixed my AppleID issue.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Martytoof posted:

Mine go black and red for a split second but once the iPad connects everything is OK.

A weird orange cast persists for me on some objects. It looks like Night Shift is happening on portions of the screen.

Edit: tried to capture it https://youtu.be/6GaCCIJXW_0

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 8, 2019

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Weedle posted:

Affinity Photo is a way better (and cheaper) alternative to Photoshop than PS Elements, IMO.

Seconding this. I really like Affinity’s products and I wish Adobe didn’t have a death grip on the industry (InDesign mostly) because Affinity products are really great.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 8, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

Ordinarily I would agree, but depriving Adobe of subscription revenue is good praxis.

Back a million years ago I bought a scanner for work (one of my first jobs) and it came with a copy of photoshop. 4? I don't know. It was a little bit older than the copy of photoshop we already owned, we didn't need another copy, so I kept it for myself

I used that fucker for a while. When I finally upgraded (:filez:? can't remember) a few years later I was so amazed at how much more advanced and faster the latest version was than that old one my penny-pinching rear end had been using.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

My mistake, I didn't reboot or whatever. Numerical popups seem to be just fine on 13.0.2 under High Sierra. Gotta re-test Mojave..

Maybe I'm behind the curve but I still run High Sierra on one laptop because Mojave breaks a lot of programs I bought.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Did they change the system font again? Aaaaa

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DiskWarrior statement updated by Alsoft:

https://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior5apfs

Alsoft posted:

What's in the works

The next major release of DiskWarrior will include the ability to rebuild APFS disks. Apple released a portion of the APFS format documentation in September of 2018 . Our developers are now waiting for the remaining portion of documentation to update DiskWarrior in order to safely rebuild Apple File System (APFS) disks.

So, yeah, Apple got around to documenting everything except the most important part, writing out to APFS.

:argh: document faster, Apple!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Splinter posted:

FYI, that might not be a complete lists of incompatibilities. Some 64-bit programs can still be dependent on 32-bit code to provide some functionality, despite being listed as 64-bit in this list. I've also heard of some cases where the program is 64-bit, but the installer is only 32-bit, so the program will work if you have it installed before upgrading to Catalina, but if you ever need to reinstall it, you're SOL.

This exact thing killed a lot of games in the PPC to Intel transition when they dropped Rosetta. :woz:

eames
May 9, 2009

Supposedly this works, haven’t tried it, attempt at your own risk, etc.

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display allowAllDevices -bool YES

.. though I can imagine that Sidecar with software h.265 encoding isn’t a great experience on mobile computers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Booting the Catalina USB installer gives me the "the install macOS Catalina application is damaged and can't be used" bullshit.

It would only let me proceed when I joined a wireless network in the usual Airport icon pulldown.

Sheesh..

That may just mean it's actually damaged but has enough to pull down a fresh copy of the damaged part over wifi.

(Or it could be lovely Apple QA, because other dumb crap like that has slipped through lately because apparently nobody over there tests edge cases.)

Edit:

In Affinity Photo news, it now works perfectly like I want with Sidecar: if you have Apple Pencil stuff turned on, finger touches control scrolling the view, while the pencil does everything else. Nobody who has an iPad and a recentish Mac will ever need to get a Wacom pad again.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 8, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eames posted:

Supposedly this works, haven’t tried it, attempt at your own risk, etc.

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display allowAllDevices -bool YES

.. though I can imagine that Sidecar with software h.265 encoding isn’t a great experience on mobile computers.

Oh, I won't be doing it, as I don't own an iPad! It was just one of the more intriguing things I remember seeing in the keynote, and became the first decent reason to owning one for my use case.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

All of my apps show up twice in Alfred because they are in two different folders or whatever. Why does it do this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also I’m not sure if I’m just imagining things but all text looks slightly blurry on an external monitor now. Is anyone else noticing this and/or how do I fix it?

E: I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining this

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 8, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

All of my apps show up twice in Alfred because they are in two different folders or whatever. Why does it do this?

Is that system volume the new read only hidden volume they do for security?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Violator posted:

Is that system volume the new read only hidden volume they do for security?

I think it is but why do I have apps in two places now and which one is the correct one?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
W r t the blurry text, you’re not just imagining it.

What monitor are you using? I had the same issue with my dell 2717, macOS thought it was a tv sobit did the text rendering as such.

Check out your “smooth font on lcd display” setting or whatever that’s called now as well.

https://www.iosinsight.com/fix-external-monitor-blurry-fonts-sierra/ for the first issue is what I used and it’s fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it is but why do I have apps in two places now and which one is the correct one?

Here’s a fix:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/catalina/#double