Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

macabresca posted:

Cnut is one of the best characters of this arc. Actually, no - all characters of this arc are the best

It's kind of amazing thinking of where Cnut started reading later volumes.

Then again, in Vinland Saga, after a few arcs characters tend to be either very different from how you first thought of them, or very dead. Or both!

It's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I am extremely intrigued by what was in the opening and how the conflict is being reframed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

King Arthur being brought up like so has always been fun.

Good on Cnut finally opening up a bit, I forgot he just starts going on and on once he does!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Writing-wise this episode was good but is it just me, or did it look really boring?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This episode had cute Cnut and thus it was visually interesting. :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

macabresca posted:

Writing-wise this episode was good but is it just me, or did it look really boring?

It was basically all talking and walking so not a ton of dynamic action to work with. It was pretty good for details though.

Like Asser's men having a bunch of really basic stuff. Like one dude had chainmail and everyone's shileds look like they were made yesterday.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The animation quality looked poor honestly. a lot of the lipflaps felt cheap, Ragnar moving slightly closer to the screen (when Cnut is hiding behind him, about 7 minutes in) looked hilariously bad, and Cnut getting anime flustered on wagon (around 20m in) looked pretty cheap too. At least, those things all actually stood out to me to some degree. I wonder if they had a different team working on this episode or if they just generally gave it less priority because it didn't have much action in it. I wouldn't begrudge them if they did but it was really noticeable.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
New theme song is weak too

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

New theme song is weak too

I would never want to suggest that I'm too good for a spot of buttrock here and there, but it feels wildly out of place next to Vinland Saga.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Vikings and buttrock go hand in hand what the gently caress are y'all even on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The problem is that Vinland Saga actually loving despises Vikings, tho.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I wasn't a big fan of the first song on its own but it really corresponded nicely with tone and themes of the show. But we'll probably get used to the new one eventually.

Lt. Lizard posted:

This episode had cute Cnut and thus it was visually interesting. :colbert:

Fair, but one Cnut doesn't make an episode (yet)

paragon1 posted:

It was basically all talking and walking so not a ton of dynamic action to work with. It was pretty good for details though.

Like Asser's men having a bunch of really basic stuff. Like one dude had chainmail and everyone's shileds look like they were made yesterday.

YF-23 posted:

The animation quality looked poor honestly. a lot of the lipflaps felt cheap, Ragnar moving slightly closer to the screen (when Cnut is hiding behind him, about 7 minutes in) looked hilariously bad, and Cnut getting anime flustered on wagon (around 20m in) looked pretty cheap too. At least, those things all actually stood out to me to some degree. I wonder if they had a different team working on this episode or if they just generally gave it less priority because it didn't have much action in it. I wouldn't begrudge them if they did but it was really noticeable.

I meant direction. It's not the easiest material to adapt in a visually interesting way and I feel like the creators really didn't put much effort this time. No background music, no interesting shots, pretty boring landscape... just a bunch of dudes talking

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big mood Cnut.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

macabresca posted:

I meant direction. It's not the easiest material to adapt in a visually interesting way and I feel like the creators really didn't put much effort this time. No background music, no interesting shots, pretty boring landscape... just a bunch of dudes talking

I liked the way the wind picks up as Askeladd delves into his past/plans but other than that I have too agree with you. In particular the shots of Artoias were dull especially compared to last week with the way Gratianus dramatically flourished his cloak and then the shot of the sword in the stone.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Spiritus Nox posted:

The problem is that Vinland Saga actually loving despises Vikings, tho.

That's not a problem since it is also full of them! Therefore buttrock is appropriately present.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The new ED was real good though

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
During the scene where the priest sort of starts to proselytize to the Danes the Amazon Prime translation says that he seeks “love” and the fighters don’t know what the gently caress he’s talking about. That seems really weird so can I assume that’s just a funky translation and a more correct English word would be “grace”?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I think it was love in the manga as well. And it fits pretty well later, when the priest explains what he means exactly. In my headcannon he used latin word (or whichever was used by Christian priests at the time) and this is why other guys were confused

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, there is love and love. I guess the priest meant it more in the sense of Agape, which would probably be a somewhat of alien concept to a bunch of Norse pagans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not Keyser Soze posted:

During the scene where the priest sort of starts to proselytize to the Danes the Amazon Prime translation says that he seeks “love” and the fighters don’t know what the gently caress he’s talking about. That seems really weird so can I assume that’s just a funky translation and a more correct English word would be “grace”?

No that was the translation they use in the manga as well so that must be what Yukimura meant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: Somehow double post.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can't watch the episode again right this second, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say "Ai", too - and that's definitely "love"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't watch the episode again right this second, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say "Ai", too - and that's definitely "love"

And it fits with them not understanding since you almost never use Ai in spoken Japanese.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i got the joke not keyser soze

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Ohhhhhhhhh, I'd forgotten about that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember Askeladd and his gang are still super evil.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Went in blind on this and just finished binging the episodes up on Amazon so far. Show owns. New opening theme is lame af compared to the first one though.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
This episode was so good. It hit me way stronger than in the manga.

I think my favourite scene was when the priest tried to warn the villagers. Given the circumstances that was the bravest thing that anybody did in this series (except for Thors, ofc). I just love how he went from drunk mumbling about some abstract concept to the person who's willing to risk his life for others. It makes his quest to find "love" so much more valid.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Some really pretty scenery this ep.

Also amazing how well the girl's character gets established in such a short time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They sure spent a lot of time on making sure her hands were all hosed up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whoever the background artists are are killing it. That night sky was beautiful.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forgot just how powerful this whole part was, and the anime really nailed it this episode.

Besides that, there's one real interesting wrinkle regarding Thorfinn that I thought about a few weeks ago but I guess forgot to mention. A couple of episodes ago we had that nightmare Thorfinn had about his village being attacked and his family killed or enslaved and all that. We know that this stuff has been going on in the background, but this episode we got the victims' point of view to show exactly what that entails. And Thorfinn isn't just along for the ride like Canute or Ragnar, he's part of Askeladd's band whether he wants to admit it or not.

So we have a situation where Thorfinn is basically helping inflict on others what he himself has nightmares about happening to him, but he also clearly lacks the emotional maturity and self-awareness to realize this. In fact, in his dreams a part of him keeps manifesting as Thors trying to convince him to give up on revenge, but importantly never condemns him for what he's doing even though the real Thors would absolutely not approve, basically indicating that he does not see the moral dimension here. So what's going to happen if he finally connects the dots one day?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I forgot just how powerful this whole part was, and the anime really nailed it this episode.

Besides that, there's one real interesting wrinkle regarding Thorfinn that I thought about a few weeks ago but I guess forgot to mention. A couple of episodes ago we had that nightmare Thorfinn had about his village being attacked and his family killed or enslaved and all that. We know that this stuff has been going on in the background, but this episode we got the victims' point of view to show exactly what that entails. And Thorfinn isn't just along for the ride like Canute or Ragnar, he's part of Askeladd's band whether he wants to admit it or not.

So we have a situation where Thorfinn is basically helping inflict on others what he himself has nightmares about happening to him, but he also clearly lacks the emotional maturity and self-awareness to realize this. In fact, in his dreams a part of him keeps manifesting as Thors trying to convince him to give up on revenge, but importantly never condemns him for what he's doing even though the real Thors would absolutely not approve, basically indicating that he does not see the moral dimension here. So what's going to happen if he finally connects the dots one day?

I'm pretty sure Thorfinn understands it, at least on an abstract level. He's old enough to be a soldier in that era, and he's not exceptionally dim or anything. Look at how he warned that woman. He knows what he's doing is unto others as he fears others doing unto him.

He's just locked himself on the path of bloodshed, because if he kills Askeladd in an honorable duel, he Accomplishes His Goal. And then, well...

I'm pretty sure he hasn't thought beyond that. But as long as he doesn't give up on revenge, he can act in spite of the collateral damage. Once he doesn't have his justification, he's really going to be in an interesting position.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Cerebral Bore posted:

So what's going to happen if he finally connects the dots one day?

Thorfinn's character journey is Really Good. Yukimura's character writing is the strongest point of VS

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I haven't read the manga, but does Ylva become a shield-maiden eventually?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Shouldn't also go unmentioned, the sound design of the episode was top notch. The beautiful night sky and Anne's monologue work as amazingly as they do very much thanks to the music that plays there.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

teagone posted:

I haven't read the manga, but does Ylva become a shield-maiden eventually?

Spoilers

Long answer is no but she dose get to ware some armor.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about the manga are the little side chapters about what's going on back in Thorfinn's village, all of which are basically Ylva being a boss and running her house better than any of the men #hertoo

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Hey, the last ep wasn't bad! Like it wasn't spectacular and we probably won't get another "The Light of Dawn" for a while, but the plot has finally moved forward and bits with Canute were v. good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP Conehead, you were cool in the end.