Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
who said yelling at her was the problem? not me and I feel like I'm the only one dying on this hill. Emotions get heated and people have a pretty good reason to lose their nut in situations like that but the story clearly shows him having enough time to cool off and figure out another way to deal with the situation other than "abandon his partner on the side of the road" and while he's well within his rights to break up with her, the fact that she's actually seriously trying to salvage the relationship when thats how he reacts is deeply troubling and indicative of long-term abusive behaviour on his part.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

who said yelling at her was the problem? not me and I feel like I'm the only one dying on this hill. Emotions get heated and people have a pretty good reason to lose their nut in situations like that but the story clearly shows him having enough time to cool off and figure out another way to deal with the situation other than "abandon his partner on the side of the road" and while he's well within his rights to break up with her, the fact that she's actually seriously trying to salvage the relationship when thats how he reacts is deeply troubling and indicative of long-term abusive behaviour on his part.

Lol

That’s pretty good.

I appreciate that he’s probably an abuser now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
how do you have so many posts itt and not have an intuitive grasp on the signs of abusive behaviour lmao

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

quote:

While he's being yelled at, I don't get out of the car and let him be punished for something I did. When he gets back in and starts driving, he's gripping the steering wheel so hard that the veins on his arms are popping out. His entire face is red and he hasn't said anything to me. To try and break the tension a little, I say "Well, that could've gone a lot worse." 
Where did he have time to cool off here?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When someone tries to actively interfere with your driving and causes a crash and acts like there's no big deal about it the only sensible thing is to remove them from the vehicle since there's no indication they won't do it again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When someone tries to actively interfere with your driving and causes a crash and acts like there's no big deal about it the only sensible thing is to remove them from the vehicle since there's no indication they won't do it again

That’s indicative of abusive behavior though and wrong.

Clearly.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for not paying for an equally extravagant wedding for my oldest daughter?

quote:

We have two daughters, Jody who is 26 and Hanna who is 28.

Both of them are engaged to two wonderful men who we adore.

My wife and I have saved roughly $50k for each daughter as a wedding fund. We aren't rich people so it took us years of being careful with our finances to help pay for half their college and this wedding fund.

We sat down with both my daughters separately to talk about their wedding plans. They did not know we had a fund for them. This was probably our first mistake.

Hanna immediately said she did not want a large wedding and would rather save money for a house deposit. She was going to do a courthouse wedding followed by a reception next year. So my wife and I agreed we would give her the wedding fund for that purpose. Again, we didn't communicate any of this with her. A huge mistake in hindsight.

Jody wanted a decent sized wedding. Something the fund would've covered.

My wife and I decided to pay for several of our family members from out of the country to attend. We knew it would be expensive but we knew we were only having one traditional wedding and we hadn't seen some close family close to 20 years.

Unfortunately, the costs started going out of control and we ended up taking $15K out of Hanna's wedding fund to cover the difference. At the time, we felt ok doing this because the extra costs of the wedding were due to our decisions, not Jody's.

The wedding happened a few weeks ago and it was perfect.

The problem now is that Hanna is aware we paid for most of her sister's wedding. She isn't aware about the costs and that we had to use some of her wedding fund.

A week after her sister's wedding, she came to us and said she changed her mind after seeing how beautiful it was. That she too wants a wedding like that with all of our extended family.

My wife and I had to tell her there was no way we could pay for all the extras again because we thought it'd be a once in a lifetime situation. We told her we'd be giving her around $35k for a house deposit and hosting her reception at our home.

Hanna had a complete meltdown and accused us of playing favorites. She left in tears.

She is now telling us she's too busy to meet for dinner or lunch when she used to drop by a few times a week.

This situation has now reached other members of our family who are chiming in.

This has been killing us. My wife told me we should just take the other $25k-30k from our savings to make this smooth over.

A part of me agrees but a larger part of me is angry that we have to mess with our retirement just because Hanna changed her mind. And I know part of her decision change is because of the constant competition our daughters have had growing up.

AITA for thinking everything should stick to the original plan? My wife disagrees with me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wonder which kid they liked more growing up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pick can back me up but there's a sort of woman who, when presented with the opportunities to do so in a judgement free zone, will openly fantasize about everyone they know boning, and develop extremely convoluted dramatic arcs about lust and betrayal in the process of doing so.

absolutely. this is actually not me, I find it creepy, but there is absolutely this type of person. it's awful. this is why jane austen novels and fanfic exists, so such persons have alternate releases

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

"Its simply unprofessional to poop at work" I say while licking a boot so hard I end up eating it like a duck

ducks do this

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My (23F) fiance (29M) falls asleep during any important conversation that stresses him out. [new]
submitted an hour ago by SeaDots

quote:

If I need to chat about the schedule for the week, he's either distracted or playful and when I tell him I need him to seriously pay attention, he closes his eyes, and passes out. I'm not looking to blame him or get justification on how frustrating that can be. I know this is a stress response that some people go through caused by emotional flooding.

I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with this and has advice on emotional regulation to avoid this. By the time he's nodding off during our conversation I've tried everything from getting frustrated and begging him to take things seriously (obviously didn't help) to calmly asking what I can do to help him feel better. It took a while to learn this, but once the drowsiness kicks in it's a losing battle. He's gone.

I've at least improved things by accepting this and no longer trying to shake him awake to force him to hear me out. At this point, I just respectfully let him sleep it off, and he's usually much nicer and cooperative after a nap if I didn't pester him. I went from flipping out at how unfair being ignored feels to making sure he feels loved and petting his head and telling him I'll come back to talk when he naps it off. He's been really appreciative of my effort since. So I've learned how to deescalate things from my end, so how can he get a hold of being quick to overwhelm and shut down?

When he's rational and calms down, he agrees it's a problem and is completely willing to put in an effort to improve things and he loves me a lot. He's respectful and owns up to what he said or did when he got overwhelmed and moody/sleepy. When he gets in this sleepy/overwhelmed mood he says things he doesn't mean like "he doesn't care" or "it's my fault he's worn out." Then, when he wakes up he's extremely remorseful and guilty. It's bizarre how much he changes.

Today, we discussed a stressful situation where his brother that's a lyft driver found a wallet with money and is refusing to give it back to the owner. My fiance and I both think that's wrong and are upset by it, but I guess the conversation stressed him out and he started dozing off. I tried to wake him up and was like "hey I'm sorry this stressed you out. Can we finish writing up a grocery list and go shopping and make dinner?" To which he responded "I would've before but you stressed me out and I'm too tired now." I felt frustrated by that because it wasn't my fault his brother stole a wallet or that this was going on, and it seems unfair to pin that stress on me. When I said this he was already asleep. I tried to get him to respond until I realized from too much experience it's a lost cause and he went to the bedroom and went to sleep. I told him we'll talk after he naps.

I know pushing to talk things out in the moment of heated discussion isn't healthy, but it's such a time drain to need to sleep an hour or two for every important conversation/stressor. Costco is closing soon and he's the card holder (shares the account with his family) so I couldn't go without him either. Just a minor example of the inconveniences caused by waiting out his lengthy self soothing time.

At this point I've accepted this is a real thing that people go through. Fight or flight turns off your logical brain, makes you irrational, and makes some people fall asleep. We agree that it's a valid reason, but not valid excuse but are now stuck on how to actually help fix things. I feel that I have much more emotional regulation skills than him through longterm therapy I've been through for a panic disorder, whereas he's a guy that never really had to express or manage his emotions.

Does anyone have tips for dealing with a similar thing? Particularly men who get overwhelmed and flooded and shut down or pass out? I'm at a loss here and even though he recognizes its a problem and wants to work it out, he doesn't know how.

Also, he's worried about therapy because diagnoses can lower his chances of certain professions he's considering. I tried to push therapy but realized it was selfish of me and I wasn't listening to his concerns. If he wanted to become a doctor for the military, he could very realistically be disqualified by a diagnosis. That's a different story entirely though.

Tl;dr: my fiance falls asleep when a topic stresses him out which prevents us from having important discussions without fighting or me being ignored.

fainting_goats.gifv

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She asks for his help to plan the wedding and falls asleep for a hundred years

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

My (23F) fiance (29M) falls asleep during any important conversation that stresses him out. [new]
submitted an hour ago by SeaDots

fainting_goats.gifv

I read the title and I knew it was his fight or flight response. There are things you can do to work on that but you really gotta want to do it and I get the impression he doesn’t really wanna.

Also lol at him wanting to be a doctor in the military with that poo poo going on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ad090 posted:

wow. many bad decisions here.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My wife [32F] thinks I [31M] am an embarrassment in social situations.

My wife is an extrovert and needs to be around people. She expects me to accompany her to social events every weekend. When I do, she finds my behavior embarrassing and upsetting. At some points in the past, I suspected that she felt this way, but she explicitly confirmed it this weekend, and I've reached a point where I feel exhausted by what I perceive as her palpable disappointment. Before her confirmation, I felt better equipped to handle that disappointment - ignorance is bliss I suppose. Now it seems like it's too pervasive to let go.

A few nights ago, we were both a little bit stoned, watching something on Netflix, and she started telling me how much anxiety her friend's husband has. Earlier that day, we'd gone on a hike with the other couple, and my wife had consciously taken stock of a list of idiosyncracies that her friend's husband exhibited. She recounted them to me - using each one as a evidence of an abnormally high level of anxiety. This isn't necessarily out of character for her - she's a psychologist and analyzes human behavior for a living. But what I - in my admittedly high state - found distressing was that so many of the idiosyncracies she noted seemed to me well within the bounds of typical behavior. I told her that since so many of her friend's husband's behaviors seemed weird to her, it made me uncomfortable to think about the encyclopedia of disfunction that she must keep on me.

She, also stoned, admitted that she'd been keeping track of my behavior during the hike as well. She kept a literal count of how many times I contributed to the conversation, whether I was walking too far ahead of the group, the fact that I had sent a snap (about 5 seconds and completely wordless) to a friend when we were at a scenic point of the hike, etc. Her determination was that I'd been too removed for her liking during the first half of the hike but that I'd done slightly better in the second half. Hearing that was hard for me because I felt like I'd been pretty engaged the whole time.

She went on to say that my behavior in group settings has been distressing to her for a long time. So much so that she's really only now getting to the point where she's mostly ok with my behavior when we spend time with her best friend and her friend's husband - a (different) couple we've seen regularly for the past 7 or 8 years.

I was surprised and hurt by the confirmation that my wife is constantly grading the quality of my interactions with her friends and, more often than not, finding me wanting. I always felt like I had an easy rapport with all of her friends. But after listening to my wife grade my social skills, it seems that I don't - at least in her eyes.

She's an extrovert by nature and gets energized by interacting with people. I'm an introvert, and to be fair, I do have some standard social anxiety - although I don't think it reaches a level that impairs my ability to navigate typical social situations (I suppose I could be wrong about this). Anyway, I'm worried about the future - my wife has a visceral and understandable need (given her extroversion) to be in social situations, and from the sound of it, I am an inveterate embarrassment to her when I attend. What's more, my not attending isn't really an option - she expects me to accompany her to about 95% of the things that she does with her friends.

These feelings are coming to a head because of her direct, marijuana-induced confirmation. So obviously, she did an OK job of hiding her frustrations. Still, on several levels, I hate the idea that she is ashamed of me. For one, I'm embarrassed for my own sake - maybe I'm a creep and everyone feels uncomfortable around me. I'm upset over what feels like incredible condescension on her part - like I'm a science experiment to be carefully measured (as I said, she's a psychologist, so I don't know if she can turn off the analysis). I also feel like her criticism doesn't account for group dynamics - she is an extrovert and takes much more 'space' in a typical conversation than I do, especially so with her best friends. She actually yelled at me a couple of weeks ago because she thought I was more engaged with a group of my friends than I usually am with hers. I haven't hung out with that group of (my) friends since then, and we've seen her friends several weekends in a row.

I don't know what to do going forward. She will continue to require my attendance at social events - principally ones where we see 'her' people - and I fear that unless I transform into an extrovert, I will continue to disappoint her, which will, in turn, breed unsustainable resentment if not outright contempt between the two of us.

TL;DR - wife told me she has been embarrassed by my behavior amongst her friends for the better part of decade. I don’t know what to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

ducks do this

:capitalism:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
guys what i wrote about isn't weird. women aren't weird for having idle sexual fantasies. guys do this too we just don't fixate on it because we haven't had society try and violently beat the sex out of us for several hundreds of years.

HIJK posted:

what baffles me is why those kinds of people share that stuff, if you're going to do it.......well okay, I guess no one can stop you, but how do you not bury it in into a secret account and tell no one? that stuff is considered creepy for a reason

i see this going down in two ways
1) I think it's funny, why wouldn't anyone else?
2) MAYBE WE'LL gently caress

either way for the lady it's worth the risk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TL;DR - wife told me she has been embarrassed by my behavior amongst her friends for the better part of decade. I don’t know what to do.

Well that’s one way to nuke a relationship.

She also sounds kinda exhausting.

He’s never gonna measure up and he needs to just :sever:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Our friend[31f] is demanding we [31m] [27f] [25f] [30m] [31m] apologize after she refused to pay cover for an exclusive night club and we left her.

I have known my friend Cindy for 3 years.

My friends and I were going to a pretty exclusive night club in Manhattan. Now I don’t do this often because it’s a pretty expensive habit.

It was a big group of us in total 6 of us some guys and some girls. Now my friend Cindy joined us and we have been friends for a bit.

We had been standing in line for about 35 mins. When it was our turn the bouncer let two of our female friends through guessing it was because they were younger. However for Cindy and the other guys they charged us a minimum bar tab. Cindy then starts arguing with the bouncer saying that how come he let our other female friends through. We try to defuse the situation and even offer to pay for her bar tab.

She then says she is going to leave, and expects us to join her. We basically all stay and she leaves by herself in tears.

After this she is angry with everyone in our group especially the girls in the group that got in free. She has told everyone she can about what happened about how we supported the devaluing of women.

I don’t think I was an rear end in a top hat at all, we offered to pay for her to get in, and I don’t see how she can invoke gender equality when she was perfectly fine with us guys having to pay the bar tab.

I would like to put this situation behind us as a friend group but Cindy is expecting an apology.

Tl;dr-went out to a night club with a group of friends. Our friend Cindy was denied entrance but our other female friends got in. She is furious with us and expects an apology.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ad090 posted:

"We saved a 50k fund for each of our children, but then we randomly decided to take 15k from one to give to the other and now the one that's getting half as much is upset even though it's her own fault we decided to stiff her. Also, we're the kind of people that describe a 65k wedding as 'decent sized' and the guillotine hole is too small for my fat neck, what do I do???"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

"We saved a 50k fund for each of our children, but then we randomly decided to take 15k from one to give to the other and now the one that's getting half as much is upset even though it's her own fault we decided to stiff her. Also, we're the kind of people that describe a 65k wedding as 'decent sized' and the guillotine hole is too small for my fat neck, what do I do???"

you're not giving full credit to them having 100k in wedding funds, but having a retirement plan thrown off-course by a 30k unexpected expense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does hotornot.com still exist? If so Cindy can get the outside consultation she needs.

Pick posted:

you're not giving full credit to them having 100k in wedding funds, but having a retirement plan thrown off-course by a 30k unexpected expense

I got to this part and then started doing that head tilt dogs do when they are confused

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My wife is an extrovert and needs to be around people. She expects me to accompany her to social events every weekend. When I do, she finds my behavior embarrassing and upsetting. At some points in the past, I suspected that she felt this way, but she explicitly confirmed it this weekend, and I've reached a point where I feel exhausted by what I perceive as her palpable disappointment. Before her confirmation, I felt better equipped to handle that disappointment - ignorance is bliss I suppose. Now it seems like it's too pervasive to let go.

A few nights ago, we were both a little bit stoned, watching something on Netflix, and she started telling me how much anxiety her friend's husband has. Earlier that day, we'd gone on a hike with the other couple, and my wife had consciously taken stock of a list of idiosyncracies that her friend's husband exhibited. She recounted them to me - using each one as a evidence of an abnormally high level of anxiety. This isn't necessarily out of character for her - she's a psychologist and analyzes human behavior for a living. But what I - in my admittedly high state - found distressing was that so many of the idiosyncracies she noted seemed to me well within the bounds of typical behavior. I told her that since so many of her friend's husband's behaviors seemed weird to her, it made me uncomfortable to think about the encyclopedia of disfunction that she must keep on me.

She, also stoned, admitted that she'd been keeping track of my behavior during the hike as well. She kept a literal count of how many times I contributed to the conversation, whether I was walking too far ahead of the group, the fact that I had sent a snap (about 5 seconds and completely wordless) to a friend when we were at a scenic point of the hike, etc. Her determination was that I'd been too removed for her liking during the first half of the hike but that I'd done slightly better in the second half. Hearing that was hard for me because I felt like I'd been pretty engaged the whole time.

She went on to say that my behavior in group settings has been distressing to her for a long time. So much so that she's really only now getting to the point where she's mostly ok with my behavior when we spend time with her best friend and her friend's husband - a (different) couple we've seen regularly for the past 7 or 8 years.

I was surprised and hurt by the confirmation that my wife is constantly grading the quality of my interactions with her friends and, more often than not, finding me wanting. I always felt like I had an easy rapport with all of her friends. But after listening to my wife grade my social skills, it seems that I don't - at least in her eyes.

She's an extrovert by nature and gets energized by interacting with people. I'm an introvert, and to be fair, I do have some standard social anxiety - although I don't think it reaches a level that impairs my ability to navigate typical social situations (I suppose I could be wrong about this). Anyway, I'm worried about the future - my wife has a visceral and understandable need (given her extroversion) to be in social situations, and from the sound of it, I am an inveterate embarrassment to her when I attend. What's more, my not attending isn't really an option - she expects me to accompany her to about 95% of the things that she does with her friends.

These feelings are coming to a head because of her direct, marijuana-induced confirmation. So obviously, she did an OK job of hiding her frustrations. Still, on several levels, I hate the idea that she is ashamed of me. For one, I'm embarrassed for my own sake - maybe I'm a creep and everyone feels uncomfortable around me. I'm upset over what feels like incredible condescension on her part - like I'm a science experiment to be carefully measured (as I said, she's a psychologist, so I don't know if she can turn off the analysis). I also feel like her criticism doesn't account for group dynamics - she is an extrovert and takes much more 'space' in a typical conversation than I do, especially so with her best friends. She actually yelled at me a couple of weeks ago because she thought I was more engaged with a group of my friends than I usually am with hers. I haven't hung out with that group of (my) friends since then, and we've seen her friends several weekends in a row.

I don't know what to do going forward. She will continue to require my attendance at social events - principally ones where we see 'her' people - and I fear that unless I transform into an extrovert, I will continue to disappoint her, which will, in turn, breed unsustainable resentment if not outright contempt between the two of us.

Dump your trash wife.

ad090 posted:

YTA. And you know it.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

She literally could have killed both of them and any number of other drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, or other bystanders. Leaving her on the road is really the only correct response that does not involve reporting her behavior to police or enacting violence upon her. It is probably the most cool headed appropriate response. If you think he's abusive for dumping someone on the side of the road who tried to kill him then your brain is broken.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

This is the most boomer thing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I figured he meant "mess with" less in the sense of it actually being a big enough dent to gently caress up their retirement planning, and more just about THE PRINCIPLE of it all

but yeah they almost assuredly were planning on blowing >10% of their net worth on weddings

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

You're an idiot. There's a reason you're the only one on that hill.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

He got circumsized for me, but can i cut and run?

quote:

Dear How to Do It,

I’m a woman who met a man a few months ago on Tinder, and we’ve really hit it off. We’re both single and in our 40s. I’m very attracted to him, and I was initially really excited about having sex with him. But the first time we got down to it, I realized he had a problem. He had an incredibly tight foreskin. He could only achieve like half an erection. When I tried to pull it back it caused him pain, and he lost his erection completely. Also, there was, how do I put it? A hygiene issue as well. I don’t think he’s ever pushed it back, to clean or otherwise. Apparently he once had a girlfriend and they did have sex somehow, but I don’t know see how. One time later he tried to put it in, foreskin and all, and he came immediately. Pretty lame. Normally I would be gone after all that, but I really like this guy.

So I had a delicate talk with him and explained that yes, I have quite a lot of experience in this area and that it’s not normal what’s going on with him down there. He went at my suggestion to a urologist, who agreed. Fast-forward two months later: He got circumcised! He’s healing, but he’s very excited to try things out. Me, too. In a way, it’s really like he’s a virgin. And as much as we like each other, if sex doesn’t work out then, I’m not going to stick around much longer. I know he is suffering from performance anxiety, even now, because he is used to suffering from it his whole life. I want to reassure him, but at the same time I’m tired of foreplay. If he again has some issues, then I don’t know how to deal with it. In a way he has good reason to be anxious because I will be gone if he can’t, after all this, do it. Is that unfair? What should I do? How can I help him?

-Snippy

quote:

Dear Snippy,

Wow. You met this guy and 1) within months convinced him to permanently alter his penis and 2) now in even less time are strongly considering leaving him. That is legendary behavior. It’s so legendary, I’d be willing to bet that when uncut guys look into the mirror and say your name three times, their foreskins fall right off.

I want you to get consistent dick because you seem fun and no-nonsense, but I think you owe it to him to see through his hoodless journey a bit further. I have a friend who also had phimosis and was circumcised as an adult, and it’s made all the difference. He was extremely anxious about sex, and now he loves it and is in a satisfying relationship. The snip could prove to be a solution that allows everything to fall into place. Failing that, I urge you to have a little faith and to really exercise patience as he relearns the ropes. If he has performance anxiety already, you’re likely to make it worse by applying pressure to his prowess, at least at first.

Give him time. Take it slow. Explore. You really like this guy (your words!), and you’re still young enough that you can afford to invest a few more months in him (which could turn out to be an investment for yourself). Beyond a few months, I get it, you’ll have to move on. But don’t tell him that. Not yet, anyway.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"Introverts" and "extroverts" aren't a real thing and hike husband's life would probably be a lot easier if he weren't hung up about his Category Of Human but wife still absolutely sucks rear end and he is definitely way more sensitive to other people's feelings than she is

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Big Word posted:

"Introverts" and "extroverts" aren't a real thing and hike husband's life would probably be a lot easier if he weren't hung up about his Category Of Human but wife still absolutely sucks rear end and he is definitely way more sensitive to other people's feelings than she is

What’s a “rambling man” though, like a combo of extrovert and introvert? :thunk:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That sounds like a subcategory of hiker dude, to me.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA - He wastes so much food. I maybe overreacted.

My boyfriend frequently takes ridiculous large portions of food, smothers them in ridiculous amounts of hot sauce and has a lot left over. I get upset because if he just took a reasonable portion there would be plenty of leftovers for the rest of the family, but of course nobody wants to eat what was left over from his plate. I have told him he is wasting food and should take a reasonable portion, then take more. Many times. We have plenty of money, and usually lots of food to go around. I have told him there is no scarcity, he doesn’t need to “get his” or starve.

On any given day looking in the fridge, many of the leftovers are unusable case they were "just his" off the plate he was eating from. And even if someone could get past that and eat it anyway he has ruined them with tons of sauce

A couple nights ago my son and brother made a spectacular pizza and they were both curious if there was any left, I didn't see any, but they both would have loved to have more. I was rummaging in the fridge this morning for something for my son’s lunch and was happy to find the last piece of pizza in a baggie. I turn it over and its got about half a cup of hot sauce in it. There is no reason to store an intact piece of pizza soaking in hot sauce. In a baggie. I was running late and fuming.

So I was so upset I went and woke him up, just to give him poo poo, and then left for work without saying goodbye, and I threw the piece of pizza in the garbage. AITA?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Throw the whole boyfriend away.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DemoneeHo posted:

He got circumsized for me, but can i cut and run?

The one line summary was way worse than the content! Dude had a medical condition, she just happened to point it out to him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cover him in hot sauce first

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend frequently takes ridiculous large portions of food, smothers them in ridiculous amounts of hot sauce and has a lot left over. I get upset because if he just took a reasonable portion there would be plenty of leftovers for the rest of the family, but of course nobody wants to eat what was left over from his plate. I have told him he is wasting food and should take a reasonable portion, then take more. Many times. We have plenty of money, and usually lots of food to go around. I have told him there is no scarcity, he doesn’t need to “get his” or starve.

On any given day looking in the fridge, many of the leftovers are unusable case they were "just his" off the plate he was eating from. And even if someone could get past that and eat it anyway he has ruined them with tons of sauce

A couple nights ago my son and brother made a spectacular pizza and they were both curious if there was any left, I didn't see any, but they both would have loved to have more. I was rummaging in the fridge this morning for something for my son’s lunch and was happy to find the last piece of pizza in a baggie. I turn it over and its got about half a cup of hot sauce in it. There is no reason to store an intact piece of pizza soaking in hot sauce. In a baggie. I was running late and fuming.

So I was so upset I went and woke him up, just to give him poo poo, and then left for work without saying goodbye, and I threw the piece of pizza in the garbage. AITA?

:sever: and move on. You don't have time for this. Your son doesn't have time for this. This poo poo will grind you down to a paste, and then he'll put hot sauce on that paste and forget about you in the back of the fridge. Don't let that happen to you.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling an employee that she is NOT allowed to take a day off to grieve for her dog that died?

I’m not going to give too many details about my job, but I will say that I work in a corporate office where the staff is well-paid with good benefits. This one employee (who I will call Stacy) is decent at what she does. However, she takes more personal days than most people, for whatever reason. We have a certain number set aside but they aren’t really meant to be used as vacation days.

Stacy called in a little while ago sobbing and saying that her dog she’s had for 10 years died and she was too distraught to come to work today. I remember her talking a lot about the dog being very sick a few weeks back, so I believe she was telling the truth. I said I was very sorry to hear about the dog but that, unfortunately, she had already maxed out her personal days for the year. (Which is true - we have an online system that tracks this).

Stacy said she didn’t realize she had run out of personal days. She then asked if she could take a 1-day bereavement period. Now, we do have a policy for death. Immediate family = 5 weekdays off, paid. Extended family = 2 weekdays off. Certain other enumerated categories of people = 1 weekday off. All of these terms are defined in the company policy and it is very clear that it refers to people. So I told Stacy that her dog’s death does not fall within the scope of the policy.

Stacy became increasingly upset and said she didn’t feel the system was meant to be so “rigid” and “oppressive”. She then asked if I could just count this as a sick day and log it in the system as that. Now, I technically could (incorrectly) log this in the system as a sick day, and she does have some left. But, frankly, I was not inclined to do it. We are all extremely busy and tons of people at the office have a lot going on in their personal lives. They still show up.

So I told her I couldn’t do that. I said if she didn’t show up it would be an unexcused absence and that I would be reviewing her attendance record carefully to determine if there were grounds for her termination. Stacy expressed her “disappointment” and “disgust” but said she’s coming in.

AITA?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

However, she takes more personal days than most people, for whatever reason. We have a certain number set aside but they aren’t really meant to be used as vacation days.

"How dare this employee make use of days off she is entitled to in her employment contract!"

:murder:

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 8, 2019

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for telling my biological son that he is adopted?

I (36M) typically have a pretty good relationship with my son, Jake (12M). However, sometimes he can be a handful and although I try not to, I occasionally lose my temper.

A few days ago, I get a call from Jake's school about him acting up in class. The teacher told me about some of his actions, which included pushing a female classmate, and I was pretty disturbed. I pick him up from school early since the principal said he had to leave for the day, and I start lecturing him in the car (I wasn't yelling).

This sets Jake off, and he starts yelling that he hates me, and wishes I wasn't his dad. This really hurt me, as I always try to be a good father to him and I felt this was really below the belt. So I responded: "You're in luck, I'm not your dad. Your mother and I adopted you."

Jake starts bawling, and hasn't spoken to me since. To clarify, Jake is my biological son, I only said that as a response to what he said to me. My wife thinks I'm TA, and that I should tell him that it's not true (she has already tried but he doesn't believe her). I feel like if I tell him the truth then I am admitting to lying, and he will never trust me again. I think the best course of action could be to let things settle down and let my "lie" blow over.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

HMS Beagle posted:

I know the thread is gonna crucify this guy (and what he said is definitely hosed up) but people gently caress up and say dumb hurtful poo poo when angry all the time.

What I'm saying is crucify this guy for not wanting to apologize, not for making a mistake when angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Resting Lich Face posted:

"How dare this employee make use of days off she is entitled to in her employment contract!"

:murder:

She's asking to use additional days that other people don't get, and equating the loss of a dog with the loss of a human. OP is right to deny the leave.