Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lasting Damage posted:

If there is a discrepancy between pitched battle points listed in a Battletome and the Azyr app, is there any idea which number is the one to defer to? My azyr app is updated, but I noticed that in the Orruk battletome the Weirdnob Shaman is listed as 110 points, but in the app he's 120.

Has the app been updated since yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it has all the other points changes made in the Battletome. Just this one unit is off.

Edit: wait do you mean another update since yesterday's?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lasting Damage posted:

Yeah, it has all the other points changes made in the Battletome. Just this one unit is off.

Edit: wait do you mean another update since yesterday's?

No, I just wasn't sure if the app itself had been updated the same day as the book dropped. Go with what's printed until an errata/FAQ drops.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like Tempest Eye would make the best shooty list. It gives so many tools to move and shoot. Pistoleers would be devastating with the ability to fall back, shoot and charge again.

Definitely best for mobile shooting and the General trait with +1 to wound is cool. But lots of those abilities do little for artillery or basic missile infantry. Seems like Greywater is the castle shooters while Tempest is the Skirmish shooters.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Updated the faction post with Cities of Sigmar (rip Dispossed) and a few extra words about the Orruk Warclans book. If anyone has any better words than what I wrote, feel free to correct me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I would never want to assemble or paint one but drat these new bone doods

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/07/lords-of-the-ossiarch-bonereapers-revealedgw-homepage-post-2/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I haven't painted one of my new CSM models yet, and I'm already planning on getting the Ossified Bonefuckers. AoS continues to rule my heart while 40K withers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:hb:
Rattle
Them
Bones
:hb:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel the second guy is even cooler.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
X-post from painting thread

Skails posted:

Painted up Gotrek for a friend, what a great model. Took most of the color cues from the studio paint job. Ended up with a satin finish which has a nice effect in person.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cooked Auto posted:

I feel the second guy is even cooler.

Yeah, though with that pose all I can see is a ghost constantly running under his feet to try and get his attention like a cat.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm excited to see Goonhammer Age of Sigmar content, but it's got some accuracy issues. The game's already complicated enough to learn, so having errors in these getting started guides hurts their usefulness.

https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-with-age-of-sigmar-part-3-advanced-battle-primer/
The article uses the 40k term for gear (relic), not Sigmar (artefact). When I've used the wrong term discussing Sigmar at my local shop, it definitely confuses people and they end up thinking I'm talking about 40k. The wizard section says all wizards know the 2 default spells and can take more. I think that only applies to wizard heroes, and not all wizards. It took me a while to understand how the gobbapalooza wizards work. They aren't heroes, so they don't know arcane bolt or mystic shield, and they can't take an extra spell from the rulebook. I think they can cast endless spells? The iOS Azyr army builder doesn't enforce this rule, but it's also pretty buggy, and doesn't seem trustworthy for building lists.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im the writer of that article and appreciate the feedback. I'll make those changes.

I admit I had a blind spot for the wizard "groups" because the only armies I play (Nagash and Tzeentch) don't have those so it didnt even enter my mind. I'll go back and check how all those rules are written to see how they're supposed to intersect.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Gloomspite's kinda the exception since I think that's one of the only books that has its spell lore limited to WIZARD HERO units only. They can still cast endless spells and spells of the realms, though.

Otherwise I can think of SCE Evocators, who are fully fledged wizards but only have the one spell on their warscroll, plus a choice of spell from their own mini-lore.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looking for advice on taking this Slaanesh beastman list down. We are a very friendly group so when a hard list like this hits, we all like to take a crack at it and see what works, and this list is unbeaten against all comers:

Heroes - KoSecrets (Thrill-seeker, Ghyrstrike, Ritual Knife, Hysterical Frenzy), 2 x Great Bray Shaman, Beastlord, Bladebringer (Cameo of the Dark Prince)

Battleline - 4 x 10 Gors

Other - 2 x 30 Bestigors

Warscroll Battalion - Depraved Drove

It's a simple list at it's core, screen with Gors, stack up depravity points, hit with the Bestigors and summon more KoS. It's simple, fast, hits like a ton of bricks, well screened and depravity points build faster than you can imagine.

Thoughts?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That's a tough nut. My inclination would be to find a way to scalpel out the hero units, both to turn off the summoning and because Beastmen line troops have gently caress all for Bravery and need support. If I wasn't selling my Stormcast then I think Vanguard Raptors with Longstrikes would do work. Ballistas + Astral Templars stormhost would delete his Keeper.

Idoneth would probably just go eel-heavy Fuethan and then it'd be down to "did I charge the right thing".

I should probably ask what the people at your place play before offering random advice :v:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I've yet to figure out how to crack Idoneth.

Granted last time I played I thought I might've been able to finally get them on their back foot but then I rolled 3's for about four charges in a row, plus a reroll.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Some silly theorycrafting from a read through of cities; if you take a Hallowheart allegiance, but with a Nomad Prince general, five wizards of various flavours and five minimum size Sisters of the Thorn units that gives you at least 20 spells cast per turn, and only eats up around 1k, so you can fit in some meat shield (was thinking dwarves of some kind).

Probably far from optimal, but might be funny to play. Less so to play against, I expect.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

Probably far from optimal, but might be funny to play.

tbh this is the main draw of Cities for me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm 100% playing this stupid wizard city this poo poo seems tight as hell

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I've yet to figure out how to crack Idoneth.

Granted last time I played I thought I might've been able to finally get them on their back foot but then I rolled 3's for about four charges in a row, plus a reroll.

As an Idoneth player, all of the Idoneth's real power is either in the Allegiance abilities or the eels. The eels are just Good on their own, which is why they're taken as battleline. Thralls hit hard but fold like paper (as per elves) and Reavers are terrible. This basically means playing around Forgotten Nightmares (forced to shoot the closest Idoneth unit) and knowing what Tide effects are happening. In particular, prepare for early charges, and make sure to deny as much of High Tide as possible by falling back out of combat and lighting them up with ranged.

Breathe a sigh of relief if you see Reavers, Allopexes or a turtle. They're the bad units.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Okay I'm trying to beef up my pestilens army so that I can actually field 2k points at some time in the future. The battlescribe app implies that I'm in the clear but I wanted to check with everyone here as well

Terrain: gnawholes (0 pts)
General: Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
Leaders: Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200 pts, equipped liber bubonicus artifact)
Battleline: 3x40 plague monks (280 a piece, 840 total)
2x10 plague monks (80 a piece, 160 total)
Battalion: Congregation of Filth (priest plus all monks, 160 for battalion bonus)
All skaven endless spells (180 total)
Bonus command point (50)

I'm pretty sure this brings my total to 1990, but is this even a legal pestilens army? I know that to have plague monks as battle line the general has to be pestilens or masterclan, and all other units have to be pestilens so that's what I was going for

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Deleter posted:

Breathe a sigh of relief if you see Reavers, Allopexes or a turtle. They're the bad units.

That’s what kills me everytime I think about working on the kits I picked up for them. The variety was shallow enough to begin with but three of the units being worthless kind of kills the fun for me.

Khrybdises are oceanic monsters, they could at least let Idoneth field them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s what kills me everytime I think about working on the kits I picked up for them. The variety was shallow enough to begin with but three of the units being worthless kind of kills the fun for me.

They are not bad. But the Eels are too good.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Reavers are so close to being fine for their role. Shadow Warriors have a point of rend and hit on threes - surely some of that could be ported over to Reavers! Right now they hit like pillows with their primary weapon.

Allopexes have had points deductions but don't have a role. They could be tweaked to be good against large multi-wound models - their existing special rule lends themselves towards it somewhat, and god knows it'd help against Gristlegore. And their bravey is Too drat Low.

Leviadons just cost too much for what they do.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, it super stings. If GW get around to expanding the range, making Namarti lists stronger and figuring out the balance of those three units would be above new models for me.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LazyAngel posted:

Some silly theorycrafting from a read through of cities; if you take a Hallowheart allegiance, but with a Nomad Prince general, five wizards of various flavours and five minimum size Sisters of the Thorn units that gives you at least 20 spells cast per turn, and only eats up around 1k, so you can fit in some meat shield (was thinking dwarves of some kind).

Probably far from optimal, but might be funny to play. Less so to play against, I expect.

Eternal Guard can actually get up to a 2+ save, which is pretty nice.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im the writer of that article and appreciate the feedback. I'll make those changes.

I admit I had a blind spot for the wizard "groups" because the only armies I play (Nagash and Tzeentch) don't have those so it didnt even enter my mind. I'll go back and check how all those rules are written to see how they're supposed to intersect.

It's otherwise an awesome article, and I'm excited to see Sigmar content on Goonhammer.

I'm still amazed how much I like playing Age of Sigmar compared to 40k (which I still enjoy), especially because I normally don't care for fantasy.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chainclaw posted:

The wizard section says all wizards know the 2 default spells and can take more. I think that only applies to wizard heroes, and not all wizards. It took me a while to understand how the gobbapalooza wizards work. They aren't heroes, so they don't know arcane bolt or mystic shield, and they can't take an extra spell from the rulebook. I think they can cast endless spells? The iOS Azyr army builder doesn't enforce this rule, but it's also pretty buggy, and doesn't seem trustworthy for building lists.

The line in the CoS battletome reads: "You can choose or roll for 2 of the following spells for each Wizard in a Hallowheart army." No Hero requirement. Same for the Mages of the Whitefire Court ability that gives an extra cast each hero phase. Even the Arcane Channeling power that inflicts mortal wounds on a Hallowheart Wizard Hero to let them project a +casting roll aura applies that aura effect to all Hallowheart Wizards, Hero or not.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

Eternal Guard can actually get up to a 2+ save, which is pretty nice.

How is that possible?

I was thinking Ironbreakers as the best defensive unit since they always have 3+ and are cheaper.

Plus you can shoot over their heads easier!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Deleter posted:

As an Idoneth player, all of the Idoneth's real power is either in the Allegiance abilities or the eels. The eels are just Good on their own, which is why they're taken as battleline. Thralls hit hard but fold like paper (as per elves) and Reavers are terrible. This basically means playing around Forgotten Nightmares (forced to shoot the closest Idoneth unit) and knowing what Tide effects are happening. In particular, prepare for early charges, and make sure to deny as much of High Tide as possible by falling back out of combat and lighting them up with ranged.

Yeah its dealing with the eels that's been a problem of mine. Mind, the LGS starting us off with 1k/1250pt games might be skewing things a bit in ways I wouldn't necessarily be seeing in bigger games.

The one game I won was an absolute squeaker as SCE due to my opponent making a mistake and letting me turtle around the main objective in cover with 2+ save Sequitors and even then I finished the game with like 2 evocators, a sequitor and a character on the board.

The last one with Slaanesh was downright demoralizing because I had my entire (remaining) army ready to do a 4-5 inch charges into his eels on turn 2 and then rolled nothing but 3's.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What's with the slow trickle for Ossified Bonebros news. Pre-orders were supposed to be this month?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

What's with the slow trickle for Ossified Bonebros news. Pre-orders were supposed to be this month?

It wouldn't surprise me if the preorders drop this weekend because the 40k Eldar box is sorta the big thing currently.
Not to mention it's still like two weeks left of this month so plenty of time for the usual two release chunks for a new army.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GW rarely seems to hype things up too early, I think they dont want to risk getting people worked up and then have nothing to show for it.

Even announcing psychic awakening campaign they were vague on the details and the first book just kinda appeared. By default they tend to just drop the preorder a week ahead of time, bonereapers are just unique because the Spanish book got leaked early so they jumped on that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There’s also still plenty of time this month. Last year I think ork stuff first went up for preorder on the last Saturday in orktober.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Are you guys having a giggle or is there gonna be ork stuff coming out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They certainly could work on the Bonesplitterz being easier to get. A Start Collecting would be a nice, er, start.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Theyre referring to 40ks Orktober last year which got a lot of flack for not having a ton of ork stuff and it came out in November lol.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hihohe posted:

Yeah, assume any faction that uses old models is pretty much never getting anything except a terrain thing and some endless spells.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, assume any faction that uses old models is pretty much never getting anything except a terrain thing and some endless spells.

I cant really do that because I got some new goblins and trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hihohe posted:

I cant really do that because I got some new goblins and trolls.

The exception that proves the rule! Pretty sure they are the only non Stormcast faction to ever get a new unit. I am pretty sure the business model is to make a complete faction in one go, and then move on to new things. It is how you avoid half a dozen books in a row about the same 3 armies.

Thinking about it, Flesh Eater Courts and skaven got new HQ models to sell a big box. But no new units.