Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you live in San Francisco, you have my pity. And also you have an opportunity to meet Bitcoin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGy6XC6Ajw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

If you live in San Francisco, you have my pity. And also you have an opportunity to meet Bitcoin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGy6XC6Ajw

If you meet the bitcoin on the road, kill it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gschmidl posted:

If you meet the bitcoin on the road, kill it.

I will!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

How I LOST a lot of money with Bitcoin, and why I don't give a gently caress. (self.Bitcoin)
just put lottery ticket in place of Bitcoin and you have this guys whole 'investment' strategy

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

CampingCarl posted:

just put lottery ticket in place of Bitcoin and you have this guys whole 'investment' strategy

with one subtle difference: a lottery ticket is conclusive and final. you lose money, and it's gone. if you actually win, you realize those gains by default

bitcoin gambling is different because even if you get the dopamine rush from "winning," you can still lose your money if your hand is too strong, or your exchange gets "hacked". but on the flip side, whenever you lose money, the game gets cheaper to play, making it easier to convince yourself that you can double down and "make" even more. lotteries and traditional gambling games don't give you a discount when you lose, and frequently have minimum amounts to play, so losers can get priced out

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
can only afford .000000023 micro bitcoins? thats fine! you'll be able to buy a country with that soon!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Bitcoin Scam on Craigslist (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by cash4yourtreasuresredditor for 1 week

Do not sell/buy bitcoin from those advertising on here. I just got scammed for $800. Red flags all over the place yet I fell for it cause I needed the cash. If you call they will only reply by text. They will insist they are “talking with someone on the other line” or their “battery only has 2% so they can’t talk right now and will call later”. Only they never call or answer, only text.

As you prepare to meet they will give you updates too, like every 10 minutes suggesting they are “almost there”. “I’ll text ya when I’m getting close. You at the restaurant? In case my phone dies what are you wearing so I know who to look for?” And “can you find a table near a plug outlet? I’m gonna need to charge my phone”...

He leaves the impression he is real close: “I’m about to get off the exit”. Then last minute he springs on you: “Do you have a localbitcoins account? Was hoping you could give me a positive review”. If you say you don’t have an account or prefer not to set one up, he will persistently suggest that you’re “not sending anything” to him directly. And: “It all goes to localbitcoins’ escrow” and you don’t hit “release coins” until “after I give you the cash”.

When you check out the localbitcoins site it’s looks sketchy so I said no thanks. But the site is actually legit to an extent, it’s just like Craigslist and acts solely as a platform for others to transact. When I said I didn’t want to setup an account he then puts you on a guilt trip, “I drove all this way for nothing” and that this is how he “does it with all his clients on their first meeting”. He says he won’t meet face to face until he knows your account is set up for his safety, since he doesn’t want to reveal his vehicle/license plates because he carries “$40k” in cash.

It’s a smooth move, because if he tells you to set up a localbitcoins account in the beginning it will leave you enough time to research and look up potential scams. But by springing it on you last second it throws you off your game since now you’re in a hurry to figure out if it is a scam or not. Since he’s “right around the corner”, and threatens to turn back if you don’t set up account, it leaves you a short window to conduct the trade since you don’t want to miss out on getting cashed out.

Another thing he persistently asked was “How often do you get bitcoin? Because next time it will be quick and easy since you’ll already have your account setup” And that he comes to your “area” at least once a week and looks forward to doing future transactions.

The localbitcoin site is not the scam, the scammer just uses the site since it’s so vague and easy to confuse/trick someone into sending bitcoin to a scammer. The site does offer an “escrow” if you choose “post a trade”. But if you send bitcoin by using “quick sell”, it doesn’t go to escrow, it goes immediately to address you send it to.

Quick sell is for people you want to send bitcoin to that you already know or are familiar with. In “quick sell” there is no escrow, it goes directly to the address you send it to. If you want to send money to someone you don’t know, you hit “Post a trade” and in this method it is sent to an escrow to be held until accepted by the party who wants to buy/sell. Once the party “accepts” the trade, it sits in escrow until the cash is paid out, then once the cash is in hand then you hit “release bitcoin”.

So when you set up a localbitcoins account, the scammer knows you just signed up so he sends you a fake email ie “no-reply@localbitcoins”. Email looks like it is from the LOCALBITCOINS site, but it’s fake. It says:

“Welcome and Thank You for setting up an account... You have been invited to trade with username Pacmantrader ... Just copy escrow address from this email and paste into send bitcoins. Once trade is accepted and cash is in your hand hit release bitcoins. Remember not to hit RELEASE until cash is in your hand”..

Turns out even the username is someone’s real account, only the person using it is not who you are talking to. They use someone else’s username/account that has all good reviews so you feel at ease. So BEWARE, if you send bitcoin DO NOT USE QUICK SELL, or SEND BITCOIN which happens to be conveniently posted on the front main page. This method does not offer escrow! So if someone mentions localbitcoins I would avoid them at all costs..

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Boxturret posted:

talking about bitcoin tho...

if lonely coinbugs talked to women with the same confidence as when they talk about bitcoin, they actually might get a girlfriend. but i suppose then they wouldn't be lonely coinbugs :v:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

confidence isn't the word i'd use

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Babysitters. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by Subfolded

During day-to-day activities I try to imagine how things may be different if Bitcoin hits mainstream adoption. It’s causing me to find inconveniences in things that I have overlooked simply because they’ve ALWAYS been an inconvenience. Take babysitters:

A babysitter charges by the hour, and even if you plan a schedule and have a particular duration in mind, somehow you never seem to have the right amount of cash handy when you get home. Even if you have enough, it’s likely not exact change. If you try to write a check, you have to live with yourself knowing that NOBODY wants your drat checks because you’ve essentially just given them a chore to do later. You can round up to the nearest twenty since that's all the ATM gave you, but that sets a precedence that you likely won't want to keep up. I'd much prefer Lighting Network; you can argue amongst yourselves about whether the micropayments stop at the top or bottom of your driveway.

Also, older vending machines that don’t take credit. No pocket change means no Snickers, but at least I don’t sound like a drat reindeer when I walk. Still hungry tho.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

...! posted:

I... sound like a drat reindeer when I walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQt6E6wTXU&t=90s

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

Babysitters. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by Subfolded

During day-to-day activities I try to imagine how things may be different if Bitcoin hits mainstream adoption. It’s causing me to find inconveniences in things that I have overlooked simply because they’ve ALWAYS been an inconvenience. Take babysitters:

A babysitter charges by the hour, and even if you plan a schedule and have a particular duration in mind, somehow you never seem to have the right amount of cash handy when you get home. Even if you have enough, it’s likely not exact change. If you try to write a check, you have to live with yourself knowing that NOBODY wants your drat checks because you’ve essentially just given them a chore to do later. You can round up to the nearest twenty since that's all the ATM gave you, but that sets a precedence that you likely won't want to keep up. I'd much prefer Lighting Network; you can argue amongst yourselves about whether the micropayments stop at the top or bottom of your driveway.

Also, older vending machines that don’t take credit. No pocket change means no Snickers, but at least I don’t sound like a drat reindeer when I walk. Still hungry tho.
because heaven forbid you overpay the person keeping your children safe for several hours by $10

also old vending machines that don't take credit will magically be upgraded to accept bitcoin because

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
It's such a chore to snap a picture of the check with my smartphone and have it deposited. Takes SECONDS to do.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
lol just lol if you`re still in a hell murderworld country that uses cheques

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mammon Loves You posted:

It's such a chore to snap a picture of the check with my smartphone and have it deposited. Takes SECONDS to do.

Weatherman posted:

lol just lol if you`re still in a hell murderworld country that uses cheques

please god no

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Dis? Cuss.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

aw three phase died :(

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
forgot about the lightning network. how's that going

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

curious how a vending machine that isnt up to date enough to take credit cards will benefit from bitcoin.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

curious how a vending machine that isnt up to date enough to take credit cards will benefit from bitcoin.

when bitcoin takes over you either upgrade or get brutally murdered

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

KnifeWrench posted:

because heaven forbid you overpay the person keeping your children safe for several hours by $10

also old vending machines that don't take credit will magically be upgraded to accept bitcoin because

also the inability to either plan ahead or drop by an atm while you are out.

but much more likely this rear end in a top hat tries to nickel and dime his babysitters along the lines of “beep boop i opened the front door at exactly 10:44pm and seventeen seconds, therefore you didn’t work the whole hour and have to give me back $3.2184554 in change”

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sham bam bamina! posted:

forgot about the lightning network. how's that going

I don't think anyone bothers pretending bitcoin is a currency anymore. Fig leaf projects to maintain that illusion are no longer necessary.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

but much more likely this rear end in a top hat tries to nickel and dime his babysitters along the lines of “beep boop i opened the front door at exactly 10:44pm and seventeen seconds, therefore you didn’t work the whole hour and have to give me back $3.2184554 in change”

...! posted:

I'd much prefer Lighting Network; you can argue amongst yourselves about whether the micropayments stop at the top or bottom of your driveway.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol that you thought he would include the time for him to walk from the car to the door in her pay

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

EorayMel posted:

Dis? Cuss.

Etherectum?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar