Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JBP posted:

How do you beat Custodes lol

Actually I don't think I did much wrong. I failed 5 charges of 4-6 inches in a row including a ravens blade and rerolling a 2 into a 1 and he saved one shield man with a wound 13 times in one turn. Game sucked anyway.

I just use a poo poo ton of blight launchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Mortal wounds goes a long way. Mass high-damage shots helps a ton as they have very small numbers and any failed saves hurts, though that helps a ton against just about any non-horde army.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
GW is bad at hiding unpublished articles:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/08/

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
They posted it on their Facebook, so I guess they are just inconsistent.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's up properly on the Community page now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
yay disarming strike wasn't completely removed boo it only subtracts 2 attacks instead of removing a weapon from play now.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I am in the middle of repainting my wraith constructs to be Iyanden colors with just enough Craftworld Chris Foss dark swirls to look good next to my tanks and now custom craftworld... lol.

On one hand it's fine because I didnt really like the way they looked with the full on Chris Foss thing but on the other hand Thanks GW.

(Think I'll stop where I'm at to reconsider stripping the completed ones...again)

Edit: image for posterity

DiHK fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 8, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This is making me optimistic for Hive Fleet attributes

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

xtothez posted:

This is making me optimistic for Hive Fleet attributes

A general buff or bonus for single-Hive would definitely be nice. The current traits are actually pretty decent so hopefully they go the way of Space Marines and improve the pre-existing ones instead of remaking them completely. (Please don’t nerf/change Kraken :ohdear:)

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Speaking of Sisters, if I wanted to get into 40k with them (I've only played Kill Team before), would getting two of the upcoming boxes be a good idea or is it better to get one and build upon that? I guess that question is harder to answer until they release the price?

Sisters also use normal Rhinos, right? I think a local shop has some used ones so I was thinking of picking them up and repainting them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'll probably be better to get one, since the price of the box also includes cards, dice, and a LE codex.

For now, I'd grab an Immolator off the GW site (the new ones will definitely cost more), the metal Exorcist if you love it, and some metal sisters from people dumping them on eBay.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus the boxes will be piece-mailed out on eBay and if historical trending holds the individual units will be a bit cheaper than GW prices in the window between the box’s release and the unit’s release.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

moths posted:

It'll probably be better to get one, since the price of the box also includes cards, dice, and a LE codex.

For now, I'd grab an Immolator off the GW site (the new ones will definitely cost more), the metal Exorcist if you love it, and some metal sisters from people dumping them on eBay.

Seconding this. Immolator and exorcist can both be trivially magnetized (or even the pieces just left loose) to act as rhinos if needed, and unless the rules change dramatically, there's probably a lot of things better than a second penitent engine. You could also pick up Celestine now too.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus the boxes will be piece-mailed out on eBay and if historical trending holds the individual units will be a bit cheaper than GW prices in the window between the box’s release and the unit’s release.

I can't wait to see how ridiculous the single storm bolter wielding model gets priced on ebay :(

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Never seen a sisters army in person, how do they play? You know what, going to wait for that goonhammer article.

We got you buddy https://www.goonhammer.com/sisters-of-battle-beta-codex-the-goonhammer-review/

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
With that seraphim squad coming as 5 and with a powersword and also that rod of command like thing on the cannoness I'd bet up some level of rework for sisters, so it'll be tough to say if they're going to play the same.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Anyone come up with an effective way to deal with Iron hands yet because jesus christ.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Anyone come up with an effective way to deal with Iron hands yet because jesus christ.

Magnets?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The next FAQ/Chapter Approved.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

With that seraphim squad coming as 5 and with a powersword and also that rod of command like thing on the cannoness I'd bet up some level of rework for sisters, so it'll be tough to say if they're going to play the same.
Huh? :confused:

Seraphim already come as a squad of 5-10 and their leader has always had access to a power sword. The rod is probably just a piece of flair or something dumb like a renamed power maul. The canoness has a plasma pistol on her right hip as well as the sword so I'm leaning towards flair.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Deal mortal wounds or play Apocalypse?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Well, this battle report has a solution:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qelpvCZGiwY

Play as Chaos Knights, and do it now before the Iron Hands players can buy, assemble, and paint the good poo poo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Outmaneuver them, don't get shot by them, and win on objectives.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Booley posted:

Outmaneuver them, don't get shot by them, and win on objectives.

This seems like the right idea.

But I haven’t seen any army from any battle report be able to effectively execute this. Closest was a chaos soup list that spammed tough nurgle units.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This seems like the right idea.

But I haven’t seen any army from any battle report be able to effectively execute this. Closest was a chaos soup list that spammed tough nurgle units.

White scars beat multiple IH lists this weekend at a tournament to take first place.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

White scars beat multiple IH lists this weekend at a tournament to take first place.

Cool, what gave them the edge?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I would assume the speed to outmaneuver them, but Iron Hands also scream “assault me so I can’t use my sweet shooting buffs” so that probably had something to do with it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Playing well.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

I would assume the speed to outmaneuver them, but Iron Hands also scream “assault me so I can’t use my sweet shooting buffs” so that probably had something to do with it.

Only to a point, though, because 5+ Overwatch (4+ with a strat) can make charging the really dangerous stuff (Leviathans, Executioners) very painful indeed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

jng2058 posted:

Only to a point, though, because 5+ Overwatch (4+ with a strat) can make charging the really dangerous stuff (Leviathans, Executioners) very painful indeed.

While true, it’s still a significant reduction in accuracy and can go a long way in mitigating your opponents damage and their ability to control the flow of battle. Repulsors (any Flyer really but Repulsors especially) are obviously not a great target for charging unless you think you can inflict significant damage/destroy it outright.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would rather get shot on 5s than on 2s pretty much regardless of target, but Iron Hands especially.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Charge a unit of intercessors, eat their overwatch (who cares if it's on 4s), trilock one, bad touch the leviathan with pile in and consolidate. Be locked in with their intercessors so you can't get shot next turn even if the leviathan steps out of combat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Booley posted:

Charge a unit of intercessors, eat their overwatch (who cares if it's on 4s), trilock one, bad touch the leviathan with pile in and consolidate. Be locked in with their intercessors so you can't get shot next turn even if the leviathan steps out of combat.

Why would you have the Intercessors anywhere near the Leviathan? And none of this helps against what I see as the real nightmare Iron Hands list...trip Executioners circling the Iron Father, a LT w/ Ironstone, and a Librarian and/or Chaplain for extra buffs and heals.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Screening.

Executioners aren't the Iron Hands boogeyman, it's a fully tanked up Leviathan. Executioners reduce incoming damage by 1 and get a 6+ FNP. The Leviathan with full kit takes half damage minus 1 with a 4++/5+++.

If somebody circled the wagon with Executioners instead then hallelujah my payers have been answered.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Did GW ever drop an FAQ or Developer's commentary for Apocalypse?

All in all, the system is good for mass battles, but there are a few things that are a bit fuzzy still. It just seems like GW did their old usual of "fire and forget" when it comes to game systems that aren't 40k or AoS.

The Forge World units in particular don't seem to be evaluated on the same power level to effectiveness scale as GW units. My friend was using a Taunar and the Dominus class knights outclass them while being half the power level.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Being marines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Did GW ever drop an FAQ or Developer's commentary for Apocalypse?

All in all, the system is good for mass battles, but there are a few things that are a bit fuzzy still. It just seems like GW did their old usual of "fire and forget" when it comes to game systems that aren't 40k or AoS.

The Forge World units in particular don't seem to be evaluated on the same power level to effectiveness scale as GW units. My friend was using a Taunar and the Dominus class knights outclass them while being half the power level.

Nope. Not a thing.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Why would you have the Intercessors anywhere near the Leviathan? And none of this helps against what I see as the real nightmare Iron Hands list...trip Executioners circling the Iron Father, a LT w/ Ironstone, and a Librarian and/or Chaplain for extra buffs and heals.

You can spread a squad across a pretty wide area to tag the leviathan, but it doesn't really matter - your units are tied up in melee so they can't be shot, and you don't present targets to the repulsors. Repulsors are tough but are entirely killable, so scars are just a matter of surviving 2 turns until their bonus turns on and then blending the repulsors, while having board control and winning on objectives.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Floppychop posted:

The Forge World units in particular don't seem to be evaluated on the same power level to effectiveness scale as GW units.

To be fair this isn't a problem restricted to Apocalypse.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

To be fair this isn't a problem restricted to Apocalypse.

See the currently being discussed unkillable Iron Hands Leviathan Dreadnaught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I mathhammered it, and with the Guard armor I could field (2 Tank Commanders, 3 Leman Russ all with Demolisher Cannons, and a Hellhammer) the expected damage with orders and Grinding Advance was less than 8 lost wounds. For almost 1400 points of Guard shooting.

The Tank Commanders alone do an average of 7 damage each (14 total) to a rotated Knight, for comparison.