Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Booley posted:

Outmaneuver them, don't get shot by them, and win on objectives.

I've only gotten a few games in with my Iron Hands, but they do feel super static. At least with my Ultramarines Im playing mobile gunline and can push forwards, even if it's still slow. My IH games have boiled down to "castle to good poo poo in cover, screen with intercessors/scouts, shoot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Strobe posted:

I mathhammered it, and with the Guard armor I could field (2 Tank Commanders, 3 Leman Russ all with Demolisher Cannons, and a Hellhammer) the expected damage with orders and Grinding Advance was less than 8 lost wounds. For almost 1400 points of Guard shooting.

The Tank Commanders alone do an average of 7 damage each (14 total) to a rotated Knight, for comparison.

Ultimately, you probably shouldn't try. It'll do it's damage but it still only waddles 8" a turn (maybe less if it wants to stay in Ironstone range) and the most dangerous guns it can carry only have 24" range. And if he goes max Leviathans, only one can get the 5+++ Warlord trait, and only one gets Duty Eternal each phase. If all three are clustered around the Ironstone, then try to maneuver around them and play the objectives, or use charge-pile in-consolidate shenanigans to tie as many of them up as you can, I guess. :shrug:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope. Not a thing.

Disappointing. I'd like to try orks in Apocalypse, but right now, their inability to get command asset cards without gimping themselves makes them seem unviable.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

So the average Iron Hands player is going to be as fun to face as Tau?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JackMann posted:

Disappointing. I'd like to try orks in Apocalypse, but right now, their inability to get command asset cards without gimping themselves makes them seem unviable.

How so?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So the average Iron Hands player is going to be as fun to face as Tau?

Nah, a normal list is fine, its only lists that tilt hard into triple repulsor/leviathan that are problematic.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Another point for casual 40k

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

Another point for casual 40k

I enjoy playing a casual game, but I also enjoy taking a rock solid list into a tournament. If its the former situation, then don't be an rear end in a top hat and break the game, just have fun. If it's the latter, then don't whine at me if I bring the hardest list I've got. That's the point of the exercise.

Where it all goes to hell is from the aforementioned assholes who go to a casual environment with a maxxed out tournament list just to enjoy kicking puppies. There's no place for that kind of bullshit. :argh:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Where it all goes to hell is from the aforementioned assholes who go to a casual environment with a maxxed out tournament list just to enjoy kicking puppies. There's no place for that kind of bullshit. :argh:

Or who go to competitive environments with incredibly casual lists and complain when they get trounced.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

In other words, read the room. Play the game according to the context that you're in. Don't be a dick. Common sense rules for a hobby that, alas, is often bereft of sense at all.

(How much did I spend this month on lil plastic dudes? gently caress!) :doh:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

To get more command asset cards, you need commanders that are characters. The commander in a detachment is the unit with the highest leadership. No character in the ork faction has a leadership higher than 6. In Apocalypse, most ork units have leadership that increases the more orks in the unit. For example, a 10-ork squad of boyz has leadership of 5, while a 30-ork squad of boyz has a leadership of 7. This would make your boyz the commander of your army over any characters. This goes for Boyz, Stormboyz, Kommandos, Tankbustas, Warbikers, Nobs on Warbikes, and Meganobz. Orks are a horde army with generally poor attacks, relying on their ability to throw out lots and lots of bodies on the field to make up the difference. So either you're going with low-number units and fielding relatively weak ork units, or you're taking full strength units, but not getting many command asset cards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JackMann posted:

To get more command asset cards, you need commanders that are characters. The commander in a detachment is the unit with the highest leadership. No character in the ork faction has a leadership higher than 6. In Apocalypse, most ork units have leadership that increases the more orks in the unit. For example, a 10-ork squad of boyz has leadership of 5, while a 30-ork squad of boyz has a leadership of 7. This would make your boyz the commander of your army over any characters. This goes for Boyz, Stormboyz, Kommandos, Tankbustas, Warbikers, Nobs on Warbikes, and Meganobz. Orks are a horde army with generally poor attacks, relying on their ability to throw out lots and lots of bodies on the field to make up the difference. So either you're going with low-number units and fielding relatively weak ork units, or you're taking full strength units, but not getting many command asset cards.

Yeah, that's a massive oversight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
On the one hand, that sucks.

On the other, I'm not surprised that Orks' capacity for complex strategy goes out the window the more of them you have in one place.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
It almost seems unintentional, like they expect you to use the unmodified leadership value, but I don't have the book to double check the exact wording.

I've seen this elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure it's the correct reading, but I'm shocked that made it past the FAQ.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I'm having my first game of Killteam on Friday using the box of firewarriors from the starter set. I've made them up as three each of pulse rifles, carbines and blasters with two gun drones but I can't decide whether I should take a missile launcher turret for some heavy firepower, or a fourth pulse carbine for more bodies. What do you think?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I don’t know Tau at all, but generally speaking, I’d definitely take a multi-damage gun or two. They’re very good in kill team because you got to roll the same amount of dice for the injury roll, as number damage the weapon did, which translates into a much, much higher chance of knocking enemy dudes straight out, rather than just giving them a flesh wound.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Cool sounds like missile pod is the way to go then. I noticed there's five extra Tau tactics cards in the starter set compared to the rule book; Multi-spectrum sensor suite, tandem hunting, neuroweb system jammer, focused fire and support turret replacement. Are they from a different book? They seem quite useful!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

slut chan posted:

It almost seems unintentional, like they expect you to use the unmodified leadership value, but I don't have the book to double check the exact wording.

I've seen this elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure it's the correct reading, but I'm shocked that made it past the FAQ.

There is no FAQ. That's the issue.

Meanwhile you can make a Knight untargetable if it's your Warmaster and you roll a three.

The Ork thing might be intentional; just look at the bonuses a 30 boy squad gets. Taking 20 boy squads allows you to take all the bosses you want, and I think I might want 20 boy squads anyway since for 3 extra PL you can have two extra wounds.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 9, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
It took 8 months to get a FAQ for Adeptus Titanicus, and in the same month they released a new expansion that created further issues that are yet to be addressed.

I'm not hopeful of seeing an Apoc FAQ this year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a way for two of those small Custodes tanks (Pallas tanks?) to drop 16 vehicle mode wounds in one turn? Like a fire twice strategem or something?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Psyber Spine posted:

Cool sounds like missile pod is the way to go then. I noticed there's five extra Tau tactics cards in the starter set compared to the rule book; Multi-spectrum sensor suite, tandem hunting, neuroweb system jammer, focused fire and support turret replacement. Are they from a different book? They seem quite useful!

Some of the starter boxes have extra tactics that are only available in those starter boxes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

It took 8 months to get a FAQ for Adeptus Titanicus, and in the same month they released a new expansion that created further issues that are yet to be addressed.

I'm not hopeful of seeing an Apoc FAQ this year.

Yeah it's pretty frustrating, especially given the level of product support AT has. Apoc is just two boxes and some dice.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm curious. What are the big Adeptus Titanicus issues?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Can’t even use the Warlords as knights in 40k

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh no, I'd actually forgotten all about that.

You could arguably use a Castellian as an Emperor class titan tho.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rules for Jain and Drazhar.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Banshee mask is dope. Preventing overwatch is king.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Acastus knights are insane little walking guns that can almost outshoot a reaver for 1/3 the cost. There are also stratagems that could use fixing. There are just some clear favorites, such as Strafing Run, that outshine the rest.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

blade of destruction being str 6 ap -3 is dope too. this girl will shred all infantry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So could Incubi be worth taking now if you run them with Drazhar?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

So could Incubi be worth taking now if you run them with Drazhar?

My brother who plays DE says he still thinks Incubi are overcosted and that buying them, with or without Drazhar, is a trap. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

My brother who plays DE says he still thinks Incubi are overcosted and that buying them, with or without Drazhar, is a trap. :shrug:

That's probably fair. They're the only unit I never see people take or even talk about. Maybe they'll get a price reduction in the book.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Still feel like Eldar lost a very niche character in lieu of more infantry-killing ability which to be frank isn't something Eldar particularly needed more of.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Don't sleep on Master of Blades - bonus to wound is already the best +1 you can get and Incubi double-dip on it. Klaives are +1 strength on S3, 3 attack models so you're wounding anything under T8 on 4+ and hitting at 3 damage on 5/6s to wound. Plus Drazhar is fighting twice in the fight-first part of the combat phase if you charge (which you are, because you are Eldar). Absolutely average dice lets an 80 point unit comfortably blow up a Dreadnought without Drazhar having to do anything but stand there and look fabulous.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Bigmar Azrael is ready to lead me to humilating defeat

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

xtothez posted:

Bigmar Azrael is ready to lead me to humilating defeat

I really like this, especially putting the watcher on the same base. I had thought about doing the same for my Azrael but didn't want to run into any weird issues with base size during tournaments.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

That's probably fair. They're the only unit I never see people take or even talk about. Maybe they'll get a price reduction in the book.

They don't get obsession which makes them under perform when compared to just about any other unit option.

to fix them they need 1 of 2 things maybe even both

1. Good standalone rules
2. price drop

or option 3 give them access to obsessions.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

nite_moogle posted:

Don't sleep on Master of Blades - bonus to wound is already the best +1 you can get and Incubi double-dip on it. Klaives are +1 strength on S3, 3 attack models so you're wounding anything under T8 on 4+ and hitting at 3 damage on 5/6s to wound. Plus Drazhar is fighting twice in the fight-first part of the combat phase if you charge (which you are, because you are Eldar). Absolutely average dice lets an 80 point unit comfortably blow up a Dreadnought without Drazhar having to do anything but stand there and look fabulous.

Nice, it’s legit to see the mathhammer pan out.

It is a bit disingenuous to say it’s only an 80 point unit though, because the Big D is like 150 on his own iirc

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
He's capable of quite a lot on his own with that profile and fighting twice on the charge. The point was that the +1 to wound lets them do a lot more extra work on vehicle toughness than you might expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nite_moogle posted:

The +1 to wound doesn't interact with the +2 damage - the latter is unmodified 6s.