Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Killing the passing champs by running it down their throat is an amazing storyline. That's what matters.
Yes this is about more than mere stats in a single game. I have to vote for the Colts here for their outsized contribution to the cause.

On a homerish note, since someone mentioned fullbacks, Alec Ingold owns:

https://twitter.com/SGafety/status/1180969519281508353
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1180936193644617728

I hope they run that same play at some point but give him the ball. They established the run so hard they could’ve scored twice on the same play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbbfTTZXNeg

nice video from Baldy on the Raiders getting some tough yards against the Bears. Loving that I formation for the game winning touchdown

japtor posted:

On a homerish note, since someone mentioned fullbacks, Alec Ingold owns:

yeah he does

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I got to go with the Colts, they are all in.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

I got to go with the Colts, they are all in.

hat source

https://onwardreserve.com/collections/hats

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Sooo I mean I might sound Biased but I vote the Colts, because that was my original position on Sunday. Monday never happened :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i feel like i'm pushing up a hill here but poor Kyle Juszczck sacrificed his knee in the establishment of the run; SF's entire offense completely fell apart without their fullback, which I feel like is the most run-establish-y thing one could say about an offense

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Voting for Colts.

The colts victory will go down as the The Game on how to beat passing offenses. Other teams will mimic, and next year will be The Year of The Run.

The colts are the prophet. Foretelling victory for all who listen.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The colts game was a beautiful display of not only running being the key to winning against the chiefs, but also in a larger sense of running winning against passing. They deserve the trophy this week.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It’s the colts.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

The traditional wishbone fell out of vogue because it's really slow developing and it's hard to get any misdirection going consistently when a lot of your plays are slow fake or give to the fullback obviously going to one side. Even fast small defenses can throw a whole bunch of dudes to one side of the field when every play takes two seconds before people start moving.

Even though I love my childhood football the flexbone moves faster and is better and one day I want to see a tiny armed services academy quarterback running it in the NFL.

What's the difference between flex and wish one

I always thought wishbone faked or gave that really fast fb dive

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

What's the difference between flex and wish one

I always thought wishbone faked or gave that really fast fb dive

I overstated the speed or misstated the reason I think. Part of it is probably remembering Tommie Frazier (who didn't even run a bone, Nebraska was an I formation) holding the mesh with his fullback reading the DE for longer than usual. Or at least I remember it that way. Anyway, this is going to be an unpopular opinion for this thread.

The flexbone is more effective because it retains more options for passing. NOW before you all burn me as a heretic watch some Army or Navy games and realize that passing is almost always a mistake if you actually do it (:rip: Army vs Michigan this year). The purpose of those passing options is the theory that any of us could possibly hang up a terrible pass and hit a receiver who was 20 yards open, so the defense has to account for the possibility even though they know it's almost never coming.

Here's a tight wishbone formation:

You can also run that with two WRs split, or one and a TE. But either way there are only two vertical threats anywhere near the line. So the defensive coverage has a little better chance to adjust if you send those halfbacks out on routes and more people can assume they'll be crashing the line trying to blow up a run on any given play.

Here's a flexbone:

Now if you were an idiot, a moron, a person who has no moral fortitude there are 4 possible vertical receiving threats there using slot backs instead of halfbacks. You are not, you are going to run because you are wise. But the defense cannot assume that you are not a moron, so the secondary has to account for those guys more than they would in the wishbone.

The flexbone ends up being slightly faster because the veer action starts with one of those slot backs in motion running back behind the fullback and they can get a bigger head of steam than the old version of the bone did. That gives a clue to play direction but it's really only 3/4 of a second when done right and confuses the hell out of people it really should not confuse. It's also arguably easier to run a counter to the other slotback who wasn't in motion than it would be with the halfbacks getting tangled up in a wishbone.

Most plays are still the quarterback reading the DE first for the fullback dive or a second read where the quarterback either takes it himself or pitches to whichever slotback was in motion.

So at least my theory is the existential threat of the pass makes everyone go crazy and abandon the run, both offensively and defensively. You're strategically tricking the opponent that you might try to pass with the Flexbone as opposed to the Wishbone.

poo poo, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong if someone wanted to run the old version at a high level.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Er, I also vote Colts, sorry :shobon:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Er, I also vote Colts, sorry :shobon:

Grittybeard: awesome detailed post

also Grittybeard: I am embarrassed I forgot to vote. :lol:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1181674874659622912

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Votes so far:

Colts 12 (Barudak, Vando, Athanatos, Chichevache, EmbryoSteve, japtor, Elephanthead, Flikken, Hizawk, Beethovens Fist Symphony, deedee megadoodoo, Grittybeard)
9ers 3 ( Play, Bob Socko, DC Murderverse)
Seattle 1 (Qwijib0)

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

49ers + Juice sacrificing himself in defense of the run counts as an additional 10 votes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I vote Colts

They really need to offer the Stetson at the top of that page with "run the drat ball" embroidered

edit: lmao they also sell a "BUSH / REAGAN '80" hat just in case you were wondering who the demographic of that clothing company is

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah i don't want a drat trump hat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

voting for the cardinals

Play
Apr 25, 2006

we could make better run the drat ball hats than that!

print the hats

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Grittybeard posted:

The traditional wishbone fell out of vogue because it's really slow developing and it's hard to get any misdirection going consistently when a lot of your plays are slow fake or give to the fullback obviously going to one side. Even fast small defenses can throw a whole bunch of dudes to one side of the field when every play takes two seconds before people start moving.

Even though I love my childhood football the flexbone moves faster and is better and one day I want to see a tiny armed services academy quarterback running it in the NFL.

Then let's go with flexbone. Any sailor in bone port. Port in bone storm?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My vote was buried in this post so I can see how easy it was to miss it, so I'll just bold it for you:

Leperflesh posted:

juszczyk sprained a knee establishing the run

I was ready to vote raiders or maybe colts but I gotta be a homer and hand it to the niners, for showing that running the drat ball is the path to 4-0.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

is it illegal to buy votes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Goff for running a QB draw on a 2 point conversion for some reason

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Goff for running a QB draw on a 2 point conversion for some reason

that was pretty wild. of course he instantly folded in half like a lawn chair

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
A lot of good arguments for both teams, but the Colts seem to have a pretty big lead on voting, so becoming our 1st AFC team to win, the Indianapolis Colts are your Week 5 Establish the Run Champions.

Week 1: The Minnesota Vikings - 46 Attempts for 265 yards, and a 3.80 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 2: The San Francisco 49ers - 42 Run Attempts for 259 yards, and a 1.62 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 3: The Minnesota Vikings - 38 Attempts for 211 yards, and a 1.81 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 4: The Philadelphia Eagles - 33 Attempts for 176 yards, and a 1.22 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 5: The Indianapolis Colts - 45 Attempts for 180 yards, and a 1.50 Run/Pass Ratio

Divisions:
NFC North: 2
NFC West: 1
NFC East: 1
AFC South: 1
Everyone Else: 0

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
Commemorating the colts win with the platonic ideal of run establishing

https://twitter.com/colts/status/1182294816555700230?s=21

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's beautiful

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ages posted:

Commemorating the colts win with the platonic ideal of run establishing

https://twitter.com/colts/status/1182294816555700230?s=21

KC GM" man no one rushes anymore, let fire these entire defense and build one made to stop all passing. " Passes sandwich order paper to next guy screaming yes yes yes not listening Andy Reid dooms his team.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niners with 41 rushes despite getting only 99 yards out of it. And they won. That’s commitment

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Niners with 41 rushes despite getting only 99 yards out of it. And they won. That’s commitment

it was a nice commitment, but I will be shocked if the Ravens don't get the title this week even with one more game to play

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Re: Wishbone chat - the OU Sooners are no good, cheating, disgusting, dirty land thieves - but the Switzer teams from the 80's ran the wishbone to perfection. The highlights are worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOHUW59Rfc

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Re: Wishbone chat - the OU Sooners are no good, cheating, disgusting, dirty land thieves - but the Switzer teams from the 80's ran the wishbone to perfection. The highlights are worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOHUW59Rfc

Don't forget the Browns ran the Wishbone one series against the Falcons last year

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Flikken posted:

Don't forget the Browns ran the Wishbone one series against the Falcons last year

It's like GrittyBeard doesn't even exist - they ran a flexbone

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Pittsburgh: Rush 36 - Pass 20 - Ratio 1.8 - Yards 124
Washington: Rush 33 - Pass 25 - Ratio 1.32 - Yards 145
Baltimore: Rush 43 - Pass 33 - Ratio 1.30 - Yards 269
San Francisco: Rush 41 - Pass 33 - Ratio 1.24 - Yards 99
Minnesota: Rush 35 - Pass 29 - Ratio 1.20 - Yards 122
Seattle: Rush 38 - Pass 33 - Ratio 1.15 - Yards 170
Denver: Rush 30 - Pass 28 - Ratio 1.07 - Yards 103

Baltimore had the most yards and most attempts on the week and also had 15 rushes for 1st down.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Yeah, Baltimore got my vote

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

It's like GrittyBeard doesn't even exist - they ran a flexbone

the flexbone is a variant of the wishbone!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, gotta go Baltimore.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

San Francisco gets my vote.

That's some serious commitment to the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

christian mccaffrey individual award for averaging 1.4 yards on 22 carries