Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

She’s a liberal and has passed a lot of progressive legislation in Oregon coupled with the cap and trade blowup which wasn’t her fault.

Lol, come on. More like despite a democratic supermajority they’ve barely managed to do anything of note, and even got held hostage by a small minority of Republicans over a hugely popular issue, so she’s been the poster child for useless corporate Dem with no real agenda, ethos, or skill. Not all her fault (though lots is!), but she’s the governor, so it’s bound to be put at least partly at her feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

lol oops

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Thaddius the Large posted:

Lol, come on. More like despite a democratic supermajority they’ve barely managed to do anything of note, and even got held hostage by a small minority of Republicans over a hugely popular issue, so she’s been the poster child for useless corporate Dem with no real agenda, ethos, or skill. Not all her fault (though lots is!), but she’s the governor, so it’s bound to be put at least partly at her feet.

We are in agreement; I’m saying that her even being part-liberal is enough to circulate Recall Kate Brown bullshit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Supposedly there's two recall petitions. One made by some random libertarian dipshit, and a second made by the state republican party once the first gained traction. The guy is pisssed the state party didn't just sign on with him so is keeping his personal petition open out of spite. The two petitions can't share signatures so the existence of both hurts the actual cause. gently caress Kate Brown but that brand of conservative incompetence is my kind of funny.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Probably all the Oregon goons know this already but just in case. If you sign the petition with a fake name, fake address, or both then the entire page of signatures gets thrown out. Or so I have been told.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
When I did signature verification in Benton County, that was definitely not the case. If you couldn't be found/verified as a registered voter you simply weren't counted and those names were flagged for petitioners to follow up on if they chose.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Relevant Tangent posted:

Probably all the Oregon goons know this already but just in case. If you sign the petition with a fake name, fake address, or both then the entire page of signatures gets thrown out. Or so I have been told.

Then what stops people against the whatever-thing from doing this on purpose repeatedly?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
A school in Bellingham put an autistic child's desk in a bathroom

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what

the

gently caress

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Thanks. It's really important to me.

Once they start tolling on that tunnel I'll barely ever get up to that part of town until I finally break down and get one of those passes.

the passes are free right now fyi https://99tunnel.com/good-to-go.htm

but you need to load it with $30 when you get it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So dt Seattle decided that it should start loving hailing hard after being sunny most afternoon.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

1glitch0 posted:

So dt Seattle decided that it should start loving hailing hard after being sunny most afternoon.

It snowed on top of Mt. Si last night. This is really early compared to that last few years.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

BrandorKP posted:

It snowed on top of Mt. Si last night. This is really early compared to that last few years.

I saw some white behind the clouds and thought I was going nuts.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hey looks like there's a mass shooting going down at an old folks home in the couve.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

xrunner posted:

Hey looks like there's a mass shooting going down at an old folks home in the couve.

Looks like it's been resolved at this point. The shooter was arrested, with two injuries and one fatality.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/03/us/vancouver-washington-shooting/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Is there a website or a list of stores that are local and progressive that sell stuff that's not groceries? I'm in Portland and I want to buy a Crock-Pot for example and am willing to pay the extra 20 bux.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fragmented posted:

Is there a website or a list of stores that are local and progressive that sell stuff that's not groceries? I'm in Portland and I want to buy a Crock-Pot for example and am willing to pay the extra 20 bux.

Go to a 2nd hand store. There's always a million crockpots.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For what it's worth, I've got a nice six quart CrockPot and while I like the size I have found myself wishing that I'd picked up a pressure cooker instead. The modern ones are great, can knock out fantastic rice or beans very quickly, and still function as a slow cooker.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Just swill it around in a wok. Jeeze.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

silicone thrills posted:

Go to a 2nd hand store. There's always a million crockpots.
Used stores have no sort of upper hand on morality than other sorts of stores.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone selling anything for profit has no upper hand in morality. However you can get something for a fraction of the price and just generally help the the concept of we need to stop making so much poo poo and then throwing it away.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone selling anything for profit has no upper hand in morality. However you can get something for a fraction of the price and just generally help the the concept of we need to stop making so much poo poo and then throwing it away.
I mean sure, but is your contribution to this thread "Second hand stores exist and are cheaper than buying new" or "Second hand stores possess some fundamental higher ground when it comes to morality"?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Goodwill is a morally reprehensible organization that takes advantage of disabled people and pays them literal pennies on the dollar. Please don't support lovely faux-charities.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

SeaborneClink posted:

Goodwill is a morally reprehensible organization that takes advantage of disabled people and pays them literal pennies on the dollar. Please don't support lovely faux-charities.
100% true

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

twodot posted:

I mean sure, but is your contribution to this thread "Second hand stores exist and are cheaper than buying new" or "Second hand stores possess some fundamental higher ground when it comes to morality"?

Buying used is morally always better than buying new. Obviously there's awful companies like goodwill but there's also alot of decent ones.

Anyway. I just didn't know if you knew that most 2nd hand shops have a mountain of crock pots.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Capital Volume V: The Ethical Morality of Buying Used Crockpots by Karl Marx.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I take advantage of them back by being a disabled person who buys things from them that the old people who price things are utterly oblivious of the true value of & I could otherwise not afford, like fancy kitchen appliances

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Dont go to goodwill, shop at the salvation army

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

JK Fresco posted:

Dont go to goodwill, shop at the salvation army

Savlation Army sucks rear end too
just start shoplifting

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Shop at Goodwill, shoplift at Walmart

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
just camp out at the goodwill donation sites and take the good poo poo before it enters the system. and yes obviously steal from every national chain

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm fairly sure Goodwill barely exists as a national organization. The regional organizations are run independently. So lovely things happening in Chicago (or wherever) may not reflect your local Goodwill.

I think Salvation Army is a lot more religious and was connected to some anti-gay stuff. Most thrift stores are for profit and don't do anything for anyone except use vague charity stuff to dodge taxes. Like whatever minimal public good is done by Goodwill is a lot more than Value Village. In a capitalist hellscape buying from Goodwill is probably your best consumer choice.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm fairly sure Goodwill barely exists as a national organization. The regional organizations are run independently. So lovely things happening in Chicago (or wherever) may not reflect your local Goodwill.

I think Salvation Army is a lot more religious and was connected to some anti-gay stuff. Most thrift stores are for profit and don't do anything for anyone except use vague charity stuff to dodge taxes. Like whatever minimal public good is done by Goodwill is a lot more than Value Village. In a capitalist hellscape buying from Goodwill is probably your best consumer choice.

Value village is the pure capitalist hellscape. Goodwillis - 1 to that. Your local Christian cultists thrift is probably 1+ to that. They all try and use the rules that loving billionaires use to gently caress us all. Perspective in that they are trying to survive. We should be eating the poo poo lords who use the same rules ^10.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Costco pays high wages with good benefits, and WinCo is literally a co-op (though I don't think they have kitchen appliances).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

WinCo is the actual best grocery store for myriad reasons

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Snow height got down to about 700 ft today. Snow most the way down rattlesnake ridge.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah heard it was snowing in Duvall and in Bremerton. Also hailed in downtown. lived here 14 years and never seen/heard anything like it this early

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

I do 90% of my shopping between Costco and Winco. Winco is good but bagging your own groceries kind of sucks.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

therobit posted:

bagging your own groceries kind of sucks.

wow look at mister fancy pants over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Javid posted:

Bulk Food Section :swoon: