Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Are we taking any wagers on if there with be more deaths than from the camp fire due to people crashing at unpowered traffic signals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Santa Clara's power outages start at noon, supposedly I'm going to evade them by a couple blocks but I trust PG&E about as much as they invest in their infrastructure. Fingers crossed I guess. I'd check to see if the map has updated today but of course PG&E's website is still down, I guess there was just no way they could have predicted and prepared for a massive influx of traffic to their website after the announcement that they were going to cut power to almost a million people for potentially upwards of a week. No way to see that coming. :downs:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

It's cool that a whole community managed to come together and raise money to confront their homeless problem, but instead of actually doing that they just threw big have rocks in the sidewalk to own the homeless, uh, somehow.

San Francisco was a mistake.

it wasn't a "a whole community" that did it, it was a handful of neighbors. And a bunch of their other neighbors were pissed off that they did it. The city removed the rocks several days later, and the neighbors who did it are whining about how they are the real victims now because now they cant have giant rocks on their sidewalk because people are sending them death threats about it lmao

Of course half of the news reports on it that i saw made it sound like the entire neighborhood heroically came together to defend themselves from the evil homeless interlopers on ARE SIDEWALK!!!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hell yeah, Enron's rolling blackouts are BACK BABY!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

Are we taking any wagers on if there with be more deaths than from the camp fire due to people crashing at unpowered traffic signals?

I’m waiting for a wildfire from candles or someone refueling a generator.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
My local PD used a pretty innocuous “we caught a guy stealing a car” press release to go on a mini-rant about how Prop. 47 was bad and had made their lives harder. Super cool and appropriate thing for public employees to do in an official press release.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol loving great, our one office that's in a shutoff zone is the one that handles dispatch for paratransit. :suicide:

e.pilot posted:

I'm waiting for a wildfire from candles or someone refueling a generator.

Absolutely, there was a run on gasoline in affected areas and if the photos of this year's hurricane prep over East are any indication, there are a lot of dipshits who have no idea how to handle or transport gasoline even remotely safely.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/thejdmorris/status/1181760978721001472

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Absolutely, there was a run on gasoline in affected areas and if the photos of this year's hurricane prep over East are any indication, there are a lot of dipshits who have no idea how to handle or transport gasoline even remotely safely.

How are they even supposed to know they're doing it wrong? There's no education campaigns for that poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How are they even supposed to know they're doing it wrong? There's no education campaigns for that poo poo.

I agree insofar as how to fiddle with gas canisters: those things are a nightmare, particularly the cheap plastic ones you find at most gas stations. I was talking more about the people who filled up uncovered home depot paint buckets and chucked them in the back of their pickup to bring home.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Every gas station I've ever been to has had some kind of sticker about how not to fill containers with gas. Does anyone actually look at or read those while fueling up? :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking of which, what's the safe way to dispose of those liter-sized (roughly) propane continers used for camp stoves and the like/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Take 'em to the dump and ask where the hazardous waste goes.

I saw some stuff online that said you can get refillable bottles and a rig that fills them from a big tank and it really makes me want a garage I can keep stuff like that in, so I'm not burning through the small bottles when I go camping. (I should probably stick to my white gas stove and invest in a rechargeable LED lantern. And now I just remembered I need to buy new mantles for my propane lantern!)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which, what's the safe way to dispose of those liter-sized (roughly) propane continers used for camp stoves and the like/

Shoot em.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

I agree insofar as how to fiddle with gas canisters: those things are a nightmare, particularly the cheap plastic ones you find at most gas stations. I was talking more about the people who filled up uncovered home depot paint buckets and chucked them in the back of their pickup to bring home.

Oh OK. Fair.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Chuck 'em in the camp fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jetz0r posted:

Chuck 'em in the camp fire.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

@work right now, just waiting for the power to go out

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
If PGE gets away with this without substantial repercussions, then CA's democratic party is beyond saving. For a utility monopoly to pay out billions in stock dividends thanks to 500m+ a quarter in profit, and then turn around and say they have to proactively cut power to parts of the nations single most important economy because they haven't done a good job of trimming the trees and replacing old poles (let alone spent the money to put more lines underground) is beyond the pale. What gives me hope is that my central valley boomer parents and their center right friends are all up in arms about this as well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/melmason/status/1182043147448152064

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kill Bristol posted:

My local PD used a pretty innocuous “we caught a guy stealing a car” press release to go on a mini-rant about how Prop. 47 was bad and had made their lives harder. Super cool and appropriate thing for public employees to do in an official press release.

Riverside? On Nextdoor? Was it a series of passive-aggressive hashtags?

If not, then that's a second place that did it...

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah it was in riverside. I read the comments. Don’t read the comments. Might have to break my rule about engaging for this one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
RPD and Riverside County Sheriffs are in a close deathmatch to decide who can be the biggest crybaby dork.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo, I just looked at the PG&E outage map. It's not just rural areas, it's huge swaths of the suburbs of silicon valley, the east bay, and Oakland. That's crazy, makes me glad I'm in San Diego now (not that SD&E is a great company either...).

Amusingly, my former employer in Cupertino will be hit. Plus, the outage extends REALLY close to both of Apple's campuses there, and they'll definitely be affected.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 9, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1182057661610811392

quote:

If you come home and everything is dark and nothing works, then yes, you are experiencing a power shutdown. Remain calm. Use your cell phone light to search frantically for the one flashlight you think you have in the house. It will be dead of course. Search for batteries. You will need four but only find three.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I think the Sheriff’s narrowly win because the current guy is a huge pro-gun anti-sanctuary City shithead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kill Bristol posted:

Yeah it was in riverside. I read the comments. Don’t read the comments. Might have to break my rule about engaging for this one.

Sheesh. At least our local cops turn off comments when posting press releases on Nextdoor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kill Bristol posted:

I think the Sheriff’s narrowly win because the current guy is a huge pro-gun anti-sanctuary City shithead.

Stan Sniff wasn't great (and it did let me do the "Stan Sniff butts heads with the union" pun) but he was better than that Chad Bianco dumbfuck.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Southern California Edison is considering some shutdowns too

https://www.scemaintenance.com/content/sce-maintenance/en/psps.html

possibly 174k people

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if SLO County is being spared thanks to Diablo. :smug:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kill Bristol posted:

Just a pro-tip, never engage in arguments on Nextdoor. Unlike the wider internet where I can shitpost and call people dumbfucks with relative impunity (although it seems as if everyone in this thread lives in loving Riverside so maybe I can't), arguing on Nextdoor is you arguing with actual people with whom you might interact with on a regular basis. Most people are not as big a shithead as they appear on the internet, and so I always side with having those arguments in person where it's actually possible to have real discussions instead of internet poo poo flinging with the people who I'm hoping are making sure my kids aren't running into traffic.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah that’s true , but some of us have anonymous next door accounts, in our real neighborhood but not tied to our actual name, grandfathered in from before they started having stricter verification standards :smug:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I believe you can make an anonymous account tied to some random address closely and verify yourself with your real account.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CPColin posted:

I wonder if SLO County is being spared thanks to Diablo. :smug:

San Diego and the OC would-be spared too, if the idiots hadn't broken SONGS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can't bring myself to be that excited about AB 68 because I know it's just going to bring in a new wave of petty landlord tyrants with backyard shacks, and probably not many actual triplexes or duplexes.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s still new housing. It’s still increased density. Both of those are pretty much unqualified good things.

I mean it’s not enough but it’s a non-trivial step in the right direction.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My favorite take from the rent cap bill is people saying “well owners are just going to take their property off the market then!”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zuul the Cat posted:

My favorite take from the rent cap bill is people saying “well owners are just going to take their property off the market then!”

my favorite part is its a loving 10%/yr allowance which is basically 5x that of inflation and every chud and the well-to-do marin lib is losing their minds, lmao. loving guillotines now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cross-posted from SAS:

Somebody at KTVU just lost their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/ckaftonktvu/status/1182022421861130240?s=21