Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

One of my players wants to basically play a gun-toting paladin.

Y'all think there's any harm in letting him use his Divine Smite on a ranged attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You're probably going to want to put a limit on the number of times Divine Smite can be used in a round, for starters.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

FFT posted:

You're probably going to want to put a limit on the number of times Divine Smite can be used in a round, for starters.

Any particular reason why? He'd still just be attacking twice, same as if he were in melee.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Malpais Legate posted:

Any particular reason why? He'd still just be attacking twice, same as if he were in melee.

At range, yes. One of the other compromises I've seen is that ranged Divine Smites have to be declared prior to attack rolls.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
when's the fact that a melee has to walk up to someone ever really a concern

let them go ham

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

brb loading up with bird shot and alpha striking with every single one of my spell levels at once

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

FFT posted:

Don't listen to this guy.

Ranged smites are fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess the big issue with letting the paladin 2x ranged smite with their bow is that now your Big Bad can't put mooks between him and a big ol' alpha strike.

But then again, Fireball exists and does nearly as much damage as a single max-level smite.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FFT posted:

brb loading up with bird shot and alpha striking with every single one of my spell levels at once

Yeah but there's going to be plenty of more enemies to fight if the DM paces long rests correctly. Spewing out big points of damage on a single target isn't that big of a deal.

Besides, gunslinger paladin has that nice wild west priest feel to it, I can dig it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My only recommendation here is to treat crossbows as guns rather than try and use 5e's terrible firearm rules.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
oh no, there's dudes between me and that dude I wanna hit really h-

misty step

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Malpais Legate posted:

One of my players wants to basically play a gun-toting paladin.

Y'all think there's any harm in letting him use his Divine Smite on a ranged attack?

Should be fine, unless he starts sniping your NPCs or something.

I’ve been playing a Cleric of the Gun, and it’s a lot of fun.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

oh no, there's dudes between me and that dude I wanna hit really h-

misty step

Thunder Step was my favorite, but I'm not sure how a martial class is going to have access to either without multiclassing.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

FFT posted:

Thunder Step was my favorite, but I'm not sure how a martial class is going to have access to either without multiclassing.

Vengeance gets Misty Step for free

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Good call, Ancients does as well according to Beyond

/e: and Horizon Walker but lol

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 10, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

neonchameleon posted:

Are there any good and widely accepted versions of either (a) the 4e Warlock or some other really simple blaster mage or (b) third party/homebrew Book of Nine Swords?

I mean, 5e warlock is still kinda that. You still hex things and eldritch blast them but you have a couple other tricks too I guess.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Warlocks, Sorcerers, and Sorlocks are pretty simple.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there some kind of joke with sorlocks? Or some kind of powerbuild im missing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there some kind of joke with sorlocks? Or some kind of powerbuild im missing?

Quickened EB and turn your warlock spell slots into more sorcery points on short rest. Sor 3 / War 2 / rest sorcerer. Go hexblade and pick up warcaster eventually to have a high ac as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Warlock 2 / Sorcerer X is a strong combo, yes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So I've got a player running Druid of the Shepherd which is great, but I'm worried about them wanting to summon tons of tiny creatures and make keeping track of battle a nightmare. This can't be the first time summoner creep has come up in a game, so how did you guys deal with it?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

mind the walrus posted:

So I've got a player running Druid of the Shepherd which is great, but I'm worried about them wanting to summon tons of tiny creatures and make keeping track of battle a nightmare. This can't be the first time summoner creep has come up in a game, so how did you guys deal with it?

do you use a grid? I feel like it should be pretty easy to follow with a grid, though definitely more complex. Maybe have little tokens with the name of the type of creature on them, and have them all go simultaneously?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
How dare the Paladin try to kill the most dangerous enemy before the mage!
The Audacity!!

If rogues can sneak attack from range every single round forever, I have no idea why ranged smiting isn't raw anyway.

mind the walrus posted:

They're the players monsters so I would leave remembering initiative and having their stats on them.
You can also just have them all have the same initiative.

No matter what, more moving parts means it's going to take longer. If it becomes an issue you can try setting up a timer for them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Conjure Animals says in the description to use one initiative turn for them, so definitely run with that. If they're all attacking the same target just roll however many d20s they're attacking with and use the monster/average health instead of rolling for that too

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

do you use a grid? I feel like it should be pretty easy to follow with a grid, though definitely more complex. Maybe have little tokens with the name of the type of creature on them, and have them all go simultaneously?
Oh I misspoke. What I'm worried isn't about tracking them on a grid or anything, that part's easy. It's about overwhelming the players with tracking several characters, and eating up time. My players already glaze out when it's not their turn, even with my attempts to be more cinematic and rapid-fire with results.

Nasgate posted:

No matter what, more moving parts means it's going to take longer. If it becomes an issue you can try setting up a timer for them.
Yeah this is the problem.

A timer would work, with a minor wrinkle. These games are therapeutic and about getting people with conditions to exercise mental muscles they don't usually exercise, and as pathetic as it sounds at least two of them would get easily overwhelmed by a timer. Maybe in the future they could use it, so it's definitely an idea worth keeping, it's just not a good short-term solution.

I'll talk with the player about it directly, make it a rule of no more than 2 beasts conjured at once, and maybe beef up stat blocks for beasts of CR 1/4 and below.

Crumbletron posted:

Conjure Animals says in the description to use one initiative turn for them, so definitely run with that. If they're all attacking the same target just roll however many d20s they're attacking with and use the monster/average health instead of rolling for that too
YES this is fantastic. Thank you!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

average values are super good for speeding things up. I have minions roll to hit, but they always deal average damage for their hits.

Using averages for a bunch of summoned monsters is a simple and elegant solution.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’ma new DM, and I’m thinking about running an encounter on Sunday that I haven’t tried before. I have a group of players who are very optimized and good at slapping powerful enemies around, so I want to give them a change by instead having them face lots of small enemies.

The design is such that they’ll need to run, which I’m going to encourage by having a large number of enemies (10 enemies using the bandit stat block), and replacing fallen ones on initiative 20. What’s a way I can run this without bloating time consumed by combat?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

If rogues can sneak attack from range every single round forever, I have no idea why ranged smiting isn't raw anyway.

Some Smite spells inexplicably don't specify melee attacks RAW; Branding Smite is definitely one. Wonder if that's just an oversight in the spell descriptions?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Emron posted:

I’ma new DM, and I’m thinking about running an encounter on Sunday that I haven’t tried before. I have a group of players who are very optimized and good at slapping powerful enemies around, so I want to give them a change by instead having them face lots of small enemies.

The design is such that they’ll need to run, which I’m going to encourage by having a large number of enemies (10 enemies using the bandit stat block), and replacing fallen ones on initiative 20. What’s a way I can run this without bloating time consumed by combat?

I did a fight like that before. The only difference it was Hobgoblins and it was d6 of them would show up every round, rather than just replacing the fallen ones.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did a fight like that before. The only difference it was Hobgoblins and it was d6 of them would show up every round, rather than just replacing the fallen ones.

I’m flavoring the actual appearance of the monsters, but from a numbers perspective they’ll be bandits. How did you handle the combat? It seems like it would be a lot of me rolling and my players sitting around.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Emron posted:

I’m flavoring the actual appearance of the monsters, but from a numbers perspective they’ll be bandits. How did you handle the combat? It seems like it would be a lot of me rolling and my players sitting around.

Check out DMG p. 250 for one way to minimize rolling, or just split them into multiple mobs and roll once for the mob.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Emron posted:

As a tip for "fairness," it's not in the spirit of the rules to have enemies appear on the grid at a particular initiative count and take their turn right there. It basically gives every new bandit automatic surprise, in the middle of combat. Have them show up at initiative 0, and then take their turns as initiative comes up, at the very least, if not making "entering the battlefield" into their action for the turn.

A big time saver is just telling your players the AC and HP of these bandits as they appear, so they can make their attacks and tell you the results without waiting on you every time. But that do you mean "the design is that they'll need to run"? As in there are 100 bandits, and 10 are on the battlemat at any one time?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I assume he means it's not supposed to be a winnable fight.

I'd suggest rather than having them just show up unannounced be sure to have alarm horns being blown in the distance, etc to indicate that lots more are coming and they shouldn't stick around.

Drums in the deep and all that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

Check out DMG p. 250 for one way to minimize rolling, or just split them into multiple mobs and roll once for the mob.

I used the DMG rules until there were only a few Hobs left. Still went fairly quickly cause they only have one attack and we play online so there is quite a bit of automatization. The fight was to go on for five rounds or until there was no Hobs left on the field.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've never had a party run from a fight they were supposed to run from. This was maybe the one consistent thing about my players.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So the design is that they’ll be in a carnival (this is a silly two-episode one shot I’m running for Halloween while our usual DM is away. What I want to do is introduce two concepts to this group:

1) even weak enemies are dangerous in numbers
2) you can’t fight your way out of every situation

So what will happen is they’ll be surrounded by clowns (using balloon swords that actually do slashing damage, just go with it), which is heralded by all the squeaking and honking that would require. As they are fighting, they’ll hear a ton more of it coming. I’m going to push the idea that this is like an endless wave.

One of the npcs they’ve met in the one shot is going to pull the classic “pop out of a door and tell the group to follow them” routine, followed by an encounter where they’ll be fighting the clowns off while making their escape on a carnival ride. It all kind of hinges on my ability to convey that this is an infinite clowns situation and my ability to make combat snappy.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Azhais posted:

I assume he means it's not supposed to be a winnable fight.

I'd suggest rather than having them just show up unannounced be sure to have alarm horns being blown in the distance, etc to indicate that lots more are coming and they shouldn't stick around.

Drums in the deep and all that

Yeah, definitely STRONGLY telegraph that a fight is unwinnable and maybe have some kind of alternate failure condition if they really refuse to run (e.g., party gets knocked out and dragged to prison).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I've never had a party run from a fight they were supposed to run from. This was maybe the one consistent thing about my players.

Yeah, you need to have some kind of "by the way there's functionally unlimited of these guys" or some other really blatant message to tell them that the fight isn't winnable. Don't expect players to say "wow, this looks hard, maybe we should run". Make them think "huh, this looks literally impossible, maybe we should run."

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

God, I genuinely had not considered the party saying “nah we’re good” and fighting it out. I need to plan for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Depending on your group, you might be able to get away with just narrating something like, "You hear countless more in the distance, coming your way, with no sign of stopping. As far as you can tell, the deluge of <insert monster name here> isn't going to stop."

Naturally some groups aren't going to quite get that you mean "they will infinitely spawn and this battle is unwinnable," in which case you might just have to tell them that straight-up.