Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We can always hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dango Bango posted:

Aren't they getting a bunch of feedback about people not liking the fantasy football talk? Why are they still doing it (outside of Bryan being stubborn)?

Every time I have to hear about producer Rob my light shines a little less bright.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Incessant Excess posted:

Every time I have to hear about producer Rob my light shines a little less bright.

that guy makes every sentence a loving a chore, he spends like 80 words when 7 will do.

dudes the personification of a 20 minute promo when Bryan asks a basic question.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I blame Bryan for engaging in the first place. Video continues to rob us of joy.

RIP Drops

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rob is a nervous babbler. I’m the same way which is probably the main reason I never bid on the guest host auction. I don’t want anyone being put through that for a whole show.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

listened to david shoe maker on the simmons pod for reasons unknown. he's a real dumb rear end.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whatd he say

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't remember most just mostly stuff about how awesome wwe is and how smackdown really revitalized the roster & stuff like that. just felt like he got the script from steph

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

there’s always a chance bryan will say something spectacularly uninformed about football which would make it all worthwhile even if you don’t enjoy it week to week

To someone also uninformed about American football it's just a giant waste of time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

fumi saito defending wwe booking is weird

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Fumi is a great historian, but his wrestling takes are about a step up from your average WOL caller.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i'm pretty sure it took a number of weeks for bryan to understand that the fantasy football league was a series of head to head matchups and not just a "who scores the most points" competiton.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

i'm pretty sure it took a number of weeks for bryan to understand that the fantasy football league was a series of head to head matchups and not just a "who scores the most points" competiton.

um, I am only learning this fact now.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://radioinfluence.com/2019/10/07/sitting-ringside-wrestling-observer-dave-meltzer/

Big dave on Penzer's podcast

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

karmicknight posted:

um, I am only learning this fact now.

That’s why they’re talking about playing specific people in the coming weeks! The roster of players you pick will play real football and be assigned points, same with your opponent. Whoever’s dudes did better win.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
So with how rarely Dave does outside podcasts (other than Jericho & Austin), that's weird enough, but...Penzer has AEW (or TNT?) as a sponsor? Isn't it fairly well-known that Penzer's show doesn't really have an audience?

I feel like I'm missing something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wasnt aware dave penzer had a podcast. imma give it a listen!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

illcendiary posted:

What’s the big deal? It’s a few minutes, max.

As someone who doesn't watch football I find these segments way more enjoyable than listening to my actual friends do the same thing in real life.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

davidbix posted:

So with how rarely Dave does outside podcasts (other than Jericho & Austin), that's weird enough, but...Penzer has AEW (or TNT?) as a sponsor? Isn't it fairly well-known that Penzer's show doesn't really have an audience?

I feel like I'm missing something.

i'm calling Les Moore right now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Penzer gets a lot of decent name guests so that doesn't seem very weird. I still need to listen to the Luger show where he took my question about The Death of Lex Luger.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
True, but they're usually people he worked with.

Doesn't explain the sponsorship, though, even if the cost would be negligible, unless they made a point of trying to place ads with as many former WCW people as possible.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Incessant Excess posted:

Bryan getting in a dig at Rob mid way through the Eddie Chyna rant was gold.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Rob is probably 2 minutes of a 75 minute show. Who cares?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I care, that's why I posted about it.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Incessant Excess posted:

I care, that's why I posted about it.

You ought not be bothered by something so inconsequential, and that was the point of my post, friend. Have a great one

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll try to take more of a live laugh love approach to life in the future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan recounting the story of Juvie getting fired back in 2000 and WCW loving up the press release and announcing Chavo was fired was loving amazing.

Eddie: WHAT DID YOU DO!?!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dave wasn't wrong about that retro newsletter from 10/14/2002. It's like every criticism we hear about the product today, from 17 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave gushing about Tim Storm as a throwback and the desperation of the lowblow was great to listen to :)

PaybackJack posted:

Dave wasn't wrong about that retro newsletter from 10/14/2002. It's like every criticism we hear about the product today, from 17 years ago.

Dave Meltzer posted:

Today, nobody is a drawing card and Lesnar is the only close to hot character.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Won't be as funny when it's still true in 2036.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Won't be as funny when it's still true in 2036.
Never been a wronger statement on these forums imo, it’ll be loving hilarious

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

At least then there was a possibility that things might still change for the better instead of everyone just giving up until Vince is dead

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to Dave and Bryan doing the AEW rundown. Disagree about the young bucks / private party match for one reason - I don’t want to watch Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros again so soon after the ladder match, and I think Lucha Bros should win the tournament and be the first tag champions. So that means Private Party needed to win.

Anyone watching the last two weeks would immediately get the sense that young bucks are stars. They didn’t need to win the matches for that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jordan7hm posted:

Listened to Dave and Bryan doing the AEW rundown. Disagree about the young bucks / private party match for one reason - I don’t want to watch Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros again so soon after the ladder match, and I think Lucha Bros should win the tournament and be the first tag champions. So that means Private Party needed to win.

Anyone watching the last two weeks would immediately get the sense that young bucks are stars. They didn’t need to win the matches for that.

Counterpoint: wins and losses mattering is important

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They do need to pick up some Ws on TV though. I wouldn’t beat them again for a good while. Same for Page.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Counterpoint: wins and losses mattering is important

Counterpoint, wins and losses in a worked sport only matter insofar as booking for 50/50 sucks.

I’m still gonna pop for Jurassic Express when they are 0-10, because they are fun to watch and that first win will be fantastic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Counterpoint, wins and losses in a worked sport only matter insofar as booking for 50/50 sucks.
nah this is just wrong. people winning a lot get over way easier than people who don’t

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

nah this is just wrong. people winning a lot get over way easier than people who don’t

You're right but there can be exceptions to that rule, like when people like the Bucks are permanently crazy over

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

But it's also absolutely possible to get someone over with a losing streak, people came to adore Tomoaki Honma in 2014-15. Having people go through slumps and get frustrated can be a useful storytelling tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Huski Boi posted:

You're right but there can be exceptions to that rule, like when people like the Bucks are permanently crazy over

The Bucks are crazy over with people going to the arenas, but the 1.4 million people at home haven't seen much Young Bucks yet. Unless they happened to be watching TNA when Generation Me were around.