Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hello. I have a question about using old speakers.

My mother recently got a new Samsung tv, and it's great but we're a bit disappointed in the quality of the speakers, also we had to put it in a spot which was previously occupied by an old early 90's Sony stereo receiver.

The receiver was hooked up to a 5.1 set of speakers that (as far as I can tell, I'm no expert) still sound great, but they're early 90's speakers. They are attached to the ceiling and walls in some places and the wires are all nicely tucked into the walls and stuff so I'd rather keep them and use them. My goal is to get the sound from the TV and make it come out of these speakers. Optionally, I'd like to get rid of the old receiver as well since it's very bulky, but if a new receiver is very expensive I'd rather keep it.

The speakers have just a wire coming from them, that's stripped a bit, the stripped bits were plugged into the back of the receiver using old fashioned clip type things. Is there any kind of receiver that can take this kind of speaker, and convert it into either HDMI or TOSLINK, which are the only two inputs on my TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Hello. I have a question about using old speakers.

My mother recently got a new Samsung tv, and it's great but we're a bit disappointed in the quality of the speakers, also we had to put it in a spot which was previously occupied by an old early 90's Sony stereo receiver.

The receiver was hooked up to a 5.1 set of speakers that (as far as I can tell, I'm no expert) still sound great, but they're early 90's speakers. They are attached to the ceiling and walls in some places and the wires are all nicely tucked into the walls and stuff so I'd rather keep them and use them. My goal is to get the sound from the TV and make it come out of these speakers. Optionally, I'd like to get rid of the old receiver as well since it's very bulky, but if a new receiver is very expensive I'd rather keep it.

The speakers have just a wire coming from them, that's stripped a bit, the stripped bits were plugged into the back of the receiver using old fashioned clip type things. Is there any kind of receiver that can take this kind of speaker, and convert it into either HDMI or TOSLINK, which are the only two inputs on my TV?

If your wire is fine and the speakers are fine then grab a Yahmaha receiver, some banana plugs, and an hdmi cable. Plug the hdmi cable into the ARC port in the TV and into the receiver. Add banana plugs to your speaker wire, and put those into the reciever in the right ports. I bet something like this gets you going:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V385-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B07BNXXJKB

You might even get a refurb off https://www.accessories4less.com/ . I got the one model up from that one (RX-v685) from them refurb and so far so good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Do soundbars these days actually produce anything even remotely recognizable as a sound that's trying to position from behind? It's been a long rear end time since I've heard one that cost money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

I think you have your terminology a little mixed up. The receiver takes input from a source [in this case the tv], processes and amplifies it and sends it to the speakers via their individual wires. You'll still need a receiver, the easiest way to route it will be to use the HDMI ARC port on the TV, that way the remote should* also control volume and power. There's slim ones that are decent, they don't have huge amps but that's probably not needed in this case. Some still have those spring clips, other ones have five way binding posts that also work fine with bare wire.

Some smaller receivers
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdsx3/integra-dsx-3-slim-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxs601bl/yamaha-rx-s601-slim-5.1-ch-x-60-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1508/marantz-nr1508-slim-5.2-ch-x-50-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

*HDMI control is still a little flaky

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do soundbars these days actually produce anything even remotely recognizable as a sound that's trying to position from behind? It's been a long rear end time since I've heard one that cost money.

Some of the higher end ones can do a virtual surround. They tend to be Atmos enabled and have upfiring speakers that bounce off the ceiling. Some have wireless rear surrounds avail.

A soundbar that good though would cost more than an entry level 5.1 system though, and heavily depend on room acoustics.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I forget who helped me out jerry rigging my crazy rear end xbox speaker/goodwill receiver set up a few months back but thank you again, it's still working out very well except I broke the subwoofers cable off in the input so I'm gonna have to buy another one from goodwill lol.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's another "Can anyone recommend me a good soundbar?" post:

Space is very much an issue or else I'd love to get a good and proper audio system. We used to have one years and years ago when I was a kid and it was friggan amazing but I just don't have the space. I have my TV mounted on a narrow TV stand and my current soundbar is mounted under it. I'm currently using the Samsung HW-J355 soundbar and it's just not cutting it any more (It's a few years old at this point). I'm finding that during talking parts of a movie I have manually adjust the volume because it's coming in so darn low then turn the volume down when some action happens or when I'm playing a game the sound just isn't as clear or picking up the small details like my headset is. A few months back I picked up the TCL 617 so having a soundbar to go with the picture quality is what I'm after.

Can anyone recommend me anything that'd fit the bill? Wish I was asking for tips on a good audio system for my TV but I gotta work with the space I got, unfortunately. I went to Best Buy today to pick up something and was just taking a look at the soundbars to see what was new and the Sony HT-X9000F sounded pretty good but I rather get opinions on these things rather than going off of store demos designed to sell the thing.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 7, 2019

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Would this be the right thread for A/V furniture? If so, I'm looking for a wall mounted thing to mount my receiver cabinet, and close with glass door. Ikea Besta looks perfect except it's interior depth at 14.some inches is too short for a reciver which is 15.some inches.

Any suggestions of where else to look, or a way to make Besta work?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

falz posted:

Would this be the right thread for A/V furniture? If so, I'm looking for a wall mounted thing to mount my receiver cabinet, and close with glass door. Ikea Besta looks perfect except it's interior depth at 14.some inches is too short for a reciver which is 15.some inches.

Any suggestions of where else to look, or a way to make Besta work?

If you get a setup which is real wood you can screw in threaded rack stuff and then just use off the shelf supplies. Besta you could just omit the back which as I recall is just pressboard and doesn't provide any structure. Don't use a Kallax. My receiver is just hanging out on top and is definitely going to hit the floor in an earthquake.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Here's another "Can anyone recommend me a good soundbar?" post:

Space is very much an issue or else I'd love to get a good and proper audio system. We used to have one years and years ago when I was a kid and it was friggan amazing but I just don't have the space. I have my TV mounted on a narrow TV stand and my current soundbar is mounted under it. I'm currently using the Samsung HW-J355 soundbar and it's just not cutting it any more (It's a few years old at this point). I'm finding that during talking parts of a movie I have manually adjust the volume because it's coming in so darn low then turn the volume down when some action happens or when I'm playing a game the sound just isn't as clear or picking up the small details like my headset is. A few months back I picked up the TCL 617 so having a soundbar to go with the picture quality is what I'm after.

Can anyone recommend me anything that'd fit the bill? Wish I was asking for tips on a good audio system for my TV but I gotta work with the space I got, unfortunately. I went to Best Buy today to pick up something and was just taking a look at the soundbars to see what was new and the Sony HT-X9000F sounded pretty good but I rather get opinions on these things rather than going off of store demos designed to sell the thing.

You might want to look for an option for 'audio leveling' which limits the dynamic range of the audio a bit but will boost quiet talking (and cut the volume on the louder spikes like explosions).

Sorry but I'd like to piggyback on this post, looking also for a soundbar for a MOM around the 200-300 CAD range (about $200USD max). Separate subwoofer would be okay but not necessary, and would very much like for it to not need it's own remote if that's a thing. She just has a digital cable box plugged into the TV right now so I suppose just an HDMI passthrough would work.

e: Even just somewhere where I can read comparisons of soundbars would be great. I can't find anything that isn't obviously paid advertising.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-soundbar/

Drive by phoneposting, I got the same or dang close to it of their budget pick on sale for about 175$ and have been pretty happy with it to fill the gap till I feel like doing a "real" setup one day

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-soundbar/

Drive by phoneposting, I got the same or dang close to it of their budget pick on sale for about 175$ and have been pretty happy with it to fill the gap till I feel like doing a "real" setup one day

Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to post that. Some good info.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at that link and keep what I need in mind.

With 5.1 soundbars, can you opt not to connect the satellite speakers and have it function like a normal 3.1 soundbar?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
My Polk Audio PSW505 officially died :cry:

I got them for 170 which was a crazy deal at the time, but I am able to afford something in the 300 dollar range. Is there a sub that sticks out that will be better/more reliable than the 505 in that price range? I can wait till black friday if need be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The RSL Speedwoofer 10S is $399 and can apparently compete with more expensive subs. Unfortunately Hsu discontinued the VTF-1. Below that is the BIC and Dayton stuff which I don't know much about. I don't think the newer Polk subs are anything to shout about.

e: I decided to wait a paycheck or two before ordering a new subwoofer and my little bitty Chrono 502.2s are kind of killing it from a bass perspective, I'm shocked. They're using a lot of power though so I'll probably get another sub.

e2: This Klipsch on closeout might be a decent replacement

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 9, 2019

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you can save a bit more, I think SVS offers specials on Black Friday. I've been using a PB-1000 paired with KEF Q350s and a Denon X1400H and it's a mindblowingly great setup for my small apartment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SVS routinely has scratch & dent/b-stock of the SB-1000 and PB-1000 around $450 on their outlet page.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I got mine as an Open Box deal for $419 from Amazon, and it was in flawless shape. Looks like they're $429 right now

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

qirex posted:

The RSL Speedwoofer 10S is $399 and can apparently compete with more expensive subs. Unfortunately Hsu discontinued the VTF-1. Below that is the BIC and Dayton stuff which I don't know much about. I don't think the newer Polk subs are anything to shout about.

e: I decided to wait a paycheck or two before ordering a new subwoofer and my little bitty Chrono 502.2s are kind of killing it from a bass perspective, I'm shocked. They're using a lot of power though so I'll probably get another sub.

e2: This Klipsch on closeout might be a decent replacement

I'll mull it over, thanks!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If the electronics are broken, you could just replace the amp alone if driver is ok.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This reminded me that I have a VTF-1 with an amp that keeps popping fuses sitting in my utility room in the basement. Could I sell this for $50 on craigslist to someone that wants the driver and cabinet or to fix the amp? $20?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

This reminded me that I have a VTF-1 with an amp that keeps popping fuses sitting in my utility room in the basement. Could I sell this for $50 on craigslist to someone that wants the driver and cabinet or to fix the amp? $20?
I put my sub with a dead amp on craigslist for free and I had half a dozen people offering me money for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plate amps are not that expensive, and can be had with as much power as you could possibly want.

Alternatively, second-hand pro power amps with 300+W mono bridged power are everywhere. Ditch the plate amps, close up the hole with a nice thick piece of MDF, with a speakon plug wired up, use beefy power amp.

I would definitely consider fixing up a sub with a borked amp. I've even considered upgrading the plate amps on my current subs, since the cabinets and drivers can easily handle more than the 120Wrms they're getting right now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 10, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thinking of selling my homemade 12" subwoofer to a friend. Driver is a Dayton RSS315HF-4, amp is a 300W Yung SD300. How much should I ask for? $200?

e: Wanted to sell it as I can't use it where I'm living now and it takes up quite a bit of space. Maybe I should just take the guts out and store it without an enclosure until I move to a new place. I forgot how much that driver cost until I looked it up just now.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*raises hand to join the replace plate amp with another one to save the sub club*

Plate amp I replaced it with had more twiddly knobs to dial things in too which was nice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
How do people find the Denon X3500? Witecutter likes it, and I need a 4K/HDR reciever to replace the Yamaha I have now, is a lot of HDMI inputs. The extra HDMI out and Alexa stuff is all icing imo.

It'll connect to a LG C8 and have the usual assortment of consoles plugged in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EC posted:

How do people find the Denon X3500? Witecutter likes it, and I need a 4K/HDR reciever to replace the Yamaha I have now, is a lot of HDMI inputs. The extra HDMI out and Alexa stuff is all icing imo.

It'll connect to a LG C8 and have the usual assortment of consoles plugged in.

Those are considered good, I know a few people in this thread have 1400s or 1500s since they're so cheap on AC4L.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've got an older Denon AVR-1911, and it's been flawless so far and has plenty of power.

I would very likely choose Denon for my next AVR, when models with Audyssey XT32 start turning up on the second-habd market at decent prices.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

qirex posted:

Those are considered good, I know a few people in this thread have 1400s or 1500s since they're so cheap on AC4L.

I recently got an X1500 to replace a glitchy/non-4K Pioneer and have been very happy with it so far as a receiver. Only thing I haven't had any luck with is the Google Home integration—it shows up as an alarm, rather than a speaker, so I can't adjust volume or anything by voice which is a little annoying. (I don't do Alexa, so no idea if that works better.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kalman posted:

I recently got an X1500 to replace a glitchy/non-4K Pioneer and have been very happy with it so far as a receiver. Only thing I haven't had any luck with is the Google Home integration—it shows up as an alarm, rather than a speaker, so I can't adjust volume or anything by voice which is a little annoying. (I don't do Alexa, so no idea if that works better.)

I got an X4400 (at half price) to replace a similarly glitchy pioneer and have also been happy with it. Also it works just fine with Alexa.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So my dad is upgrading his family room set up. Specifically he's ditching his 50" 720p Pioneer Pro 1150HD for an OLED and I've decided to try and help fix up his audio system because I noticed that there were a couple of things that weren't working right.

Most of them I think I've got figured out--although I'm having a problem with the sound sometimes cutting out but I think that might be a problem with the wires--but there's one thing I'm completely lost on. My dad bought one of those home-theater-in-a-box deals from Klipsch (either the HD Theater 300 or 500 from the manual) and at some point the center speaker died somehow, so he replaced it with one of the stock speakers from the TV. So I figured it would be a good idea to replace the center speaker.

But now I've been reading all this stuff about how you want your speakers to come from the same manufacturer and how you don't want one speaker to overpower the others so now I'm wondering what I should be replacing it with. I'm trying to avoid any solution that involves dropping a lot of money on replacing ALL the speakers--he's already dropping a big chunk of change on the TV after all.

So what should I be keeping in mind as I look for speakers?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd say try it out with what you have. I doubt the Theatre in a Box will be very sensitive to what ypu're worried about.

If indeed it doesn't work, Then you can start looking at alternatives.

Totally misread that. Sorry. If the inputs aren't weird RCA plug things, look at the Klipsch line that's closest in size to the rest. Check for impedance and output and such?

Weird question about Atmos. Was thinking of updating our living room with an Atmos Bar (like the VIZIO 5.1.2 that was on sale briefly). Our ceiling has a downward slant of like 50°, so the TV space is lower than the couch wall. Would this work with the upward firing speakers or would it be a problem???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 14, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have a lot of mismatched speakers (Focal front/center, old Klipsch rear surrounds, new Klipsch front atmos speakers, Definitive Technologies rear atmos speakers, and Fluance side surrounds. By and large, the Audyssey automatic stuff takes care of any discrepancy between speakers. You can still have some discrepancies at different volume levels, but in all honesty it's probably not going to matter for movies or anything else that takes advantage of surround sound. And if you're using Dolby Surround or whatever to turn 2 channel music into 5 channels, it's already being mucked with a ton and the different brands of speakers isn't going to matter.

So, there's probably a technical difference, but with Audyssey taking care of the worst of it, you're unlikely to ever notice a problem from having different brands unless they're significantly different speakers in some way.

Edit: RE: upward firing atmos speakers, I'm honestly not sure how well the sound bounces off the ceiling anyways. But I think that slant would probably make it not work at all - I'd mount some speakers on your ceiling if you want it that badly. "In" the ceiling would probably sound weird with that slant. But it's probably not going to work well with a slanted ceiling no matter what and wouldn't be worth the trouble/odd look.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 15, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My take: Do not spend extra money on Atmos unless you have an actual surround setup already. I realize a lot of stuff just comes with it now but there's hard limits on what 2" soundbar drivers can accomplish. Also it specifically won't work with that ceiling. I realize I may be extra sensitive to "virtual" surround gimmicks because I've never heard one I'd even consider OK outside of a demo room specifically built for it and I'd always spend my dollars on 2 speakers and later a sub but that's me.

As far as mismatched speakers go it only really matters for your front 3. It of course depends on the individual speakers but they are typically voiced differently. That said if they're roughly similar you can probably tweak to get there. Especially with center channels positioning matters as much if not more than the speaker. For surround/rear just use whatever and level match them. I had 5 identical speakers for a while and it was great [especially for surround music] but a limited budget is probably better applied to getting better LCR and subwoofer.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I spent probably $600 adding Atmos upfiring speakers to my home theater in the form of Klipsch RP-140SAs and I'd say it's not worth it or barely worth it, in contrast with in-ceiling speakers that provide a pretty great experience. I think a sound bar isn't going to add much even with a flat ceiling. I would always advise bigger/better main speakers first.

Atmos source material is still a bit painful, too. 4k Blu Rays? Absolutely. Netflix and Vudu apps on an Apple TV? Sure. But if you want to play Atmos files from Plex, you're pretty much limited to an Nvidia Shield. The Apple TV can't pass it through, and only eARC TVs and receivers can pass it back.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I need something to listen to music in my smallish and awkwardly shaped living room. I Iike all kinds of music, but feel that jazz benefits from quality sound the most, hope you get what I mean.
I want a stereo setup and plan to stream via BT from my phone. Being able to plug my Sennheisers into the receiver is a plus, as is not breaking the bank. I am eyeing a combination of a Yamaha R-S202D receiver and a pair of Q acoustics Q 3010i speakers. Would that work? I can arrange a listening for the speakers, but not with the planned receiver.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Get the 3020is instead. Don't skimp on speaker size.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Get the 3020is instead. Don't skimp on speaker size.
I agree, spend the extra $50. You're not going to get enough out of a 4" woofer IMO.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ok, that sounds reasonable. Thanks for the advice. I will also check out the Dali Spektor 2 in the same price range. I hope the ohms and impedances and other stuff I don’t know the meaning of works out, but I am getting them from a store which seems to be staffed by knowledgeable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That Yamaha should be able to power just about any home speaker just fine.

If you're willing to look at slightly larger speakers, see if you can give the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 a go. I just got a pair for my living room, and they're really drat good.