Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
seems a little harsh imo. i used to have a GF who wouldn't eat any vegetable except romaine lettuce. yes, it made me pissy and extremely resentful but i think that's a fair response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

being pissy and resentful at someone you share your home with never leads to good things, regardless of how justified you might feel about it

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

OMGVBFLOL posted:

being pissy and resentful at someone you share your home with never leads to good things, regardless of how justified you might feel about it

sometimes things make people angry. I agree that it's not good to be angry, and I agree that in OP's situation the answer is to stop being the cook.

In my situation, she had no interest or aspiration to learn to cook anything, so i always either cooked or had to buy dinner. I got frustrated at the choice between the expense of eating out every night or the boredom of making a loving caesar salad every single day. It is certainly possible to be justified in frustration.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fart store posted:

seems a little harsh imo. i used to have a GF who wouldn't eat any vegetable except romaine lettuce. yes, it made me pissy and extremely resentful but i think that's a fair response.

well at least it wasn't iceberg

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hellsau posted:

well at least it wasn't iceberg

iceberg lettuce is extremely good, and you can't find that combination of sweetness and crunch anywhere else

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Anne Whateley posted:

Literally everyone is unhappy because you demand to be the only cook.

Calm down; I'm the only one who will cook every night.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not to attack the op, but how many of you cook every night? i'm coasting on left overs for at least 3 week nights each week or i'd go insane, even with quick recipes and limited grocery lists

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Resting Lich Face posted:

You are intentionally vague about your situation. Don't be pissy when people misunderstand.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I also cook almost every night, but I am blessed to have a fiance and a roommate who will both eat anything I feel like cooking. Right now I'm simmering some red beans to go with Mexican chorizo, white rice and charred tomatillo salsa. Honestly most people I know regard me like some kind of unicorn for being perfectly happy coming home from work between 10 and midnight (I work FOH in restaurants) and cooking a meal from scratch. I find it really meditative and centering. I get a lot of processing done.

That being said, I can't imagine trying to do that for two people who seem to just generally hate food, or at least do not share your passion. Stop overextending yourself, Resting Lich Face. It's good and kind of you to try to provide for the people around you, but clearly it's not the most logical solution for this scenario. Gracefully bow out of your role as beleaguered chef (but maybe keep making barbecue with that one guy, that sounds fun!), and let your people fend for themselves.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not to attack the op, but how many of you cook every night? i'm coasting on left overs for at least 3 week nights each week or i'd go insane, even with quick recipes and limited grocery lists
I make rice in the rice maker every day and put vegetables in the oven every day.

Otherwise in terms of actual cooking hell no.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Then let them do whatever the gently caress they want to do. If the one wants to make ribs on the weekend and eat them for dinner all week, okay cool. If the other one wants to put hot dogs in boxed mac and cheese, or pick at cheese and fruit, awesome, go for it. The point is literally nobody is having a good time when you insist on cooking for everyone every night. Just step back and let everyone handle their own lives.

prayer group posted:

It's good and kind of you to try to provide for the people around you
that kind of contempt bordering on hatred is not good or kind. If you ever think you're being a saint, but you feel anger and resentment like that, you need to stop doing whatever it is immediately

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you're making food that is repulsive to them, you aren't providing poo poo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

...The main dish will be edible for everyone...

This is great advice: because I have two small children, the spiciness levels in food we eat together is NEVER at adult levels, and we try to eat together because it’s important. So the table is always arrayed with sauces and condiments so that the basic dish can be eaten by everyone, then spiced up for the grown ups.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Manuel Calavera posted:

It's great. Come to Columbus, and go on a Saturday night around 8-9pm and do a karaoke at the bar it's in.

Ohhhhh man it's in Columbus? Think I'm gonna end up there in Columbus in December for a hockey game anyhow. Can't skip Schmidt's while I'm there either, ha.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I cook basically every day. Maybe one or two days a week I don’t.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend, the dog and I are all garbage dumps and will eat anything #blessed

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I too am willing to compare my food intake to that of a dog.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Who else would get the first taste of anything before it hits the table?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I cook basically every day. Maybe one or two days a week I don’t.

I LOVE leftovers. We usually cook good food, so it’s great to have something tasty ready and waiting to go. Especially when one has a kid.

I sometimes read about people who refuse to eat leftovers and I want to smack them about the head.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 10, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm going to have kid(s) one day and I'm concerned about how much I don't like leftovers. Even the most delicious stew/curry just doesn't excite me the 2nd time. I'll eat it and enjoy it, but it's definitely in the back of my mind and I'll leap at any opportunity to not eat something I just had the day before despite being fully aware that it was delicious and will be just as delicious again.

Fried chicken is the exception, I always make a double batch because cold fried chicken is actually 3x better than it is fresh.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Must be hard eating every food exactly once then never again

Just make a bunch of different leftovers and freeze them then rotate?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AnonSpore posted:

yeah, plan to make "freezer meals" that you also happen to eat that night. trick your brain into thinking what's in the freezer isn't leftovers!

are you just done addressing the topic you wanted help with now or

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yeah, plan to make "freezer meals" that you also happen to eat that night. trick your brain into thinking what's in the freezer isn't leftovers!

are you just done addressing the topic you wanted help with now or

I generally will cook for 4 at all times. Portion for me, portion for wife, portion for fridge, portion for freezer. Unless I'm cooking for 1, in which case I go full garbage person and make a box of mac and cheese or caci e pepe.

In other news, i got a new utility knife. It is very comfortable and very pretty. Cleaned and reorganized my kitchen the past week or two, pretty sure I literally can't buy anything new until I get a bigger kitchen (or buy another pantry shelf).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sextro posted:

I'm going to have kid(s) one day and I'm concerned about how much I don't like leftovers. Even the most delicious stew/curry just doesn't excite me the 2nd time. I'll eat it and enjoy it, but it's definitely in the back of my mind and I'll leap at any opportunity to not eat something I just had the day before despite being fully aware that it was delicious and will be just as delicious again.

Fried chicken is the exception, I always make a double batch because cold fried chicken is actually 3x better than it is fresh.
My wife gets seriously bummed out by leftovers too, and really the only solution is "eat it anyway goddammit." Like, once you have kids, you owe it to them to raise them in a household where eating leftovers is fun and good, so that they don't wind up becoming adults who similarly dislike leftovers.

Like, we've tried a bunch of tricks like "freeze in batches and rotate," "make batches of things like burritos to eat throughout the week," etc, but nothing's really made her get over this.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It is also just insanely fuckin privileged to be like that. Sometimes dinner isn't a big exciting event where everything's fresh and bright and appealing. Sometimes you microwave some lasagna! Sometimes that's all the food that's in the house because it's rent week and you can't afford groceries for a few days!

I have to wonder if picky-about-leftovers people grew up wealthy or were just a huge pain in the rear end (and wallet) for their parents.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I love leftovers, especially for lunch. Everything can be a salad if you eat it cold over spinach.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i love leftovers. But theres a big difference between reheating spaghetti (urgh) and reheating the sauce and adding new spaghetti. I cant imagine objecting to the latter.

Otherwise some food just makes bad leftovers, like steak and roast chicken. I guess I try to make tons of leftovers of the good stuff (taco meat, stews, etc) and not have any of the bad stuff (note that stuff that makes crappy leftovers is usually fast to prepare anyways).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

i love leftovers. But theres a big difference between reheating spaghetti (urgh) and reheating the sauce and adding new spaghetti. I cant imagine objecting to the latter.

Packaging components separately to prevent texture breakdown is right after "learn to salt as you cook" in the list of things that make cooking more rewarding :)

Suspect Bucket posted:

I love leftovers, especially for lunch. Everything can be a salad if you eat it cold over spinach.

:yeah:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

No Wave posted:

Otherwise some food just makes bad leftovers, like steak and roast chicken. I guess I try to make tons of leftovers of the good stuff (taco meat, stews, etc) and not have any of the bad stuff (note that stuff that makes crappy leftovers is usually fast to prepare anyways).

I get past this by making everything I cook a goopy stew/soup/curry that's basically "just reheat and add rice"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

Wha-huh? Steak and chicken are great for leftovers! Dice or slice the steak for fajitas/steak/mushrooms/onions in gravy over rice or noodles, steak and eggs, steak sandwich, etc. Just add it at the end so it doesn't cook any further.

As for roast chicken, that's the classic thing you make for leftovers. It works in the above, or in a billion different soups, pot pies, curries, and I'm sure in a ton of other stuff I can't think of.

Leftovers don't have to be "exact same meal again". You transform the components into something else. That's what the big roast dinner has been for ages - a building block for the rest of the week.

Edit: "That's just cooking again!" - the protein tends to be the thing that takes the longest/most care to cook properly. Putting together a sauce (or opening a packet/jar) and some veggies takes less or the same time as boiling some rice or other starch.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 10, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I love leftovers, especially for lunch.
Same. I don't have any hard rules or anything, but I do have this vague thing in my head that if I'm cooking for anyone else I want to put something different in front of them, but holy gently caress am I not wired to turn my nose up at leftovers.

I also actually really like meals like some cold leftover roast chicken and a hunk of bread and a bit of cheese and maybe like some greens or something...but if I'm `making dinner' for anyone else I've got this vague feeling poo poo like this is a cop-out or something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I actually feel it's weird to go and COOK for lunch. Assembling a sandwich, heating up leftovers, fine, but any further then griddling a hot dog, and I feel like my mom's gonna tell at me from Florida

My BF had to be weaned onto the idea of not having a cooked meal for lunch. His mom, who WORKS FULL TIME by the way, wakes up at 5, makes breakfast and lunch for her RETIRED husband and at the time student son, has FRESH CHAI for them, goes to work for 9 hours, comes home, then makes a full spread dinner. Holy poo poo, what a marvel of a woman. Here, he's lucky if I microwave the museli for breakfast.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 10, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

man i picked up some marrow bones expecting to make bread last weekend but didn't

how's marrow on :bagl: ?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Leftover steak makes a great stir fry!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

man i picked up some marrow bones expecting to make bread last weekend but didn't

how's marrow on :bagl: ?

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTSSHOTS SHOTS

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

I actually feel it's weird to go and COOK for lunch. Assembling a sandwich, heating up leftovers, fine, but any further then griddling a hot dog, and I feel like my mom's gonna tell at me from Florida

My mom was a stay-at-home mom and my dad expected 3 hots a day every day, so my norms are a little skewed. They were from farming families so that was also the norm.

Looking back we were also kinda poor and my dad didn't like leftovers but did p much eat any ethnicity of food, so my mom was very creative at repurposing proteins during the week.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I normally just eat one meal a day so when I go back to the parents and there's dinner, then breakfast/brunch with dinner leftovers, then lunch I end up way overconsuming.

Always get bags and bags of leftovers too so i get confused with all my evening free time. thankfully there's booze

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Some things are as good, or even better as leftovers, like stews, curries etc... but anything that’s not, I avoid as much as possible. Cooking/eating is one of the biggest few great joys in my life, while I am also on a diet so I’ll be damned if I waste calories on food that is not as good as it can be.

I’ll have the same thing two days in a row, but cook parts again the second day if needed. Like, rice with grilled fish and Thai coconut broth. Rice and broth are fine the next day, but I’ll grill the fish fresh. My wife isn’t a “loves leftovers” person, but a “refuses to throw away even a crumb of food” person, and this is our compromise.

I didn’t grow up in a house like that, quite the opposite. My parents loving LOVE leftovers. Like, we are on vacation in Prague/Budapest right now and their lunch was a soggy, 2 day old sandwich straight of the fridge. Even here they talk excitedly about taking leftovers home. I can’t loving fathom being excited about missing out on the opportunity to have another hot, fresh meal in a place thousands of miles from home that I’ll likely never be back to.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AnonSpore posted:

It’s not really. Just cook enough for however many people. In my case 2. We have small amounts of leftovers but those get eaten as snacks or taken to work for lunch.

I have no desire to cook freezer meals. I prefer to just cook every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperantinc posted:

Ohhhhh man it's in Columbus? Think I'm gonna end up there in Columbus in December for a hockey game anyhow. Can't skip Schmidt's while I'm there either, ha.

A good idea, yes. Schmidt's is a very excellent choice.

As for cooking, I do it like twice a week because I can get food at work for cheap. And my schedule shifts to much for consistently making dinner. So I make like 4-5 meals worth ahead of time for the nights I'm working, and cook on the off days.