Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My god, it really IS the successor to Ultima Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I thought Starr Long was some random community guy, not a lead dev. jesus christ

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
It's neat how they can fit the entire playerbase in one room.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So now it's Second Life, but without the flying dildo swarms.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Second Life at least has things to actually do.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Second Life at least has flying dildo swarms.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The short list of attendees, publicly displayed.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Absolutely worth making fun of, but do keep in mind that

quote:

SOTAICON™ is not affiliated with Portalarium, Inc

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 24, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

About as affiliated with Portalarium as Garriott is or wants to be.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Boy I wish I could be there to hang out with Dirty GardenGnome and Buckaroo Banzai.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beefeater posted:

Boy I wish I could be there to hang out with Dirty GardenGnome and Buckaroo Banzai.

You don’t say, Beefeater.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater posted:

Banzai? Fucker still has my oscillation overthruster!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hey don't doxx my main man Buckaroo Banzai

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Shroud of the Avatar changes hands as Portalarium transfers assets to Catnip Games

Bree Royce posted:

Hey you know when’s a good time to drop potentially bad news? Underneath somebody else’s even bigger bad news. Apparently, today it’s going to be the revelation that Portalarium has sold Shroud of the Avatar to Catnip Games.

“As of October 2019 Austin-based production studio Catnip Games has acquired the operating assets of Portalarium, Inc.; primary of which is Shroud of the Avatar. Portalarium was co-founded in 2009 by Hall of Fame videogame designer Richard Garriott (aka Lord British),” Portalarium’s Starr Long announced on the forums this afternoon. “Portalarium’s most recent game Shroud of the Avatar has a large global community of players which Catnip Games will continue to develop and expand.”

So what the heck is Catnip Games? It’s apparently a studio “established by Chris Spears, who served as CTO of Portalarium for over 6 years and was appointed President of Portalarium in 2019.”

There’s a quote attributed to Richard Garriott too: “We’re immensely grateful to the community who has built this game with us. The community’s support and participation remains strong and growing, and Starr and I plan to continue being involved in the community and within the game.”

SOTA currently counts a rather tiny population on Steam; Portalarium has long maintained that the majority of the playerbase does not play through that platform, however. Earlier this year, the studio offered up a graph that showed as many as 350 new players logging in on weekends.

Over the course of 2019, the game and studio have thrown up serious warning flags. In March, Portalarium closed its physical offices, insisting it was a temporary move. Then in May, we covered several SOTA snafus: the still-missing Kickstarter rewards, missing SEC filings required by the game’s equity crowdfunding (still not filed), and the weird obfuscation surrounding who exactly was CEO of the company and when that happened.

We have reached out to the studios with a stack of questions and will update if they comment.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So... The president of Portalarium sold the company and game... To himself?

This is pretty much just an excuse for Garriot to wash his hands of the game, isn't it?

Edit: hahaha this weirdo lady is chiming in with authority she doesn't have

I looked it up, there's only 2 Catnip games, one is in the Netherlands and one is the company that made Furcadia: http://catnipstudios.com/

Neither involves Chris Spears. She's talking out of her rear end.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2019

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What's the point of all of this? Does the game still make money from whales?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No one's giving a direct answer to that question, but they keep stressing Garriot "will still be involved with the community" which makes it pretty obvious he just didn't want to own it anymore.

Edit: haha majoria70 is fishing for a job there now. This should be fun/awkward.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 9, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Chris Spears answers questions (sort of) on twitch.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Garriott knows he’s milked all he could from it and has found someone stupid enough to pay him for a corpse.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Why "Catnip Games?" There is already a Catnip Games that must be somewhat successful - in the Netherlands. Spears admits they did Bomberman for Xbox, so he must have known the name was taken.

Then there is a Catnip Studios who Dr.Cat was part of. Is Chris trolling with this name or is there a reason?

Was Garriott never that involved? Do guys named Chris feel compelled to take millions from fans and make crap games? Will Chris Spears sell his underwear and boogers to fans now? Is his wife the VP of marketing?

So many questions!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jabro posted:

Garriott knows he’s milked all he could from it and has found someone stupid enough to pay him for a corpse.

Chris: You owe me $TEXAS
British Real CEO who is totally not British: I’ll give you the company

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HungryMedusa posted:

Was Garriott never that involved?

He put together a videophone mounted on a remote controlled Segway, so he didn't have to be in the office.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

quote:

Shroud of the Avatar: Foresaken Investors
from massivelyOP comment section

also this as well

quote:

Straight from Seedinvest; in case someone (*cough*) is claiming that Seedinvest has been notified –

“Confirmed this is the first we’ve heard of this… our legal team has been trying to reach out to the company for quarterly updates for months with no response. We’re going to work on putting together an announcement. So sorry about this!”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sounds like Shroud of the Avatar is getting close to flat lining. Its been obvious for awhile now that the game is on its death bed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Last chance for someone to buy my 75 dollar Kickstarter account! Never used!

Kickstarting a game - never again

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Garriott and Starr jumping ship right after Koster announced his project is some coincidental timing. I don't know who would want Garriott on their MMO project at this point. All the goodwill his name carried is basically gone but the timing is too hard to ignore with their history.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure koster despises garriot.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I bet the in game items will be more Unity store trash tier grabs.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

jabro posted:

Garriott and Starr jumping ship right after Koster announced his project is some coincidental timing. I don't know who would want Garriott on their MMO project at this point. All the goodwill his name carried is basically gone but the timing is too hard to ignore with their history.
bit of old news but garriott is already working on a new mmo.
https://neverdie.com/
A Crypto Mmo.

oh also portalarium is partner for that company.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Givin posted:

I bet the in game items will be more Unity store trash tier grabs.

They get a new unique room they can use for player-made dungeons, and a printing press item they can use to make books ingame. Both will be based on already existing assets from a dungeon that's in the game.

So yeah they're just re-purposing poo poo again

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dark Off posted:

A Crypto Mmo.

oh wow this sounds like a whole new level of scam.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dark Off posted:

A Crypto Mmo.

holy poo poo lol, there's so many layers of stupid there. Pro-click.

What's this...?

Uhhhh

Uhhhhhhh

They put King Kong in the game

And The Thing

Richard Garriot: good with investing

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bet they haven't paid to license any of those names or likenesses.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

From 2016:

Virtual Reality Visionary Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs Selected To Join Mobile World Congress 'Entertainment Showcase'

quote:

Mobile World Congress will also serve as the debut of "I AM MY AVATAR," NEVERDIE's first campaign video. Dedicated to longtime friend 'Motorhead' frontman Lemmy Kilmister and released just days after the music legend's highly-touted Grammy© Awards tribute, the rock-and-roll, message-filled music video features Paul Inder Kilmister, son of the famed rocker, who is a NEVERDIE supporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I dunno about you, but I can't wait to make crypto while hunting a tie-dye dragon and King King as a Canadian biker or a cholo gangster