Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first two episodes of Divers Re Rise will drop on Youtube tomorrow. Let's all get our hopes up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The first two episodes of Divers Re Rise will drop on Youtube tomorrow. Let's all get our hopes up about it

Here's hoping it's going to be less crap than the current SD Gundam show.

Setting those expectations low, but it still might disappoint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

So is Gundam Breaker 3 still the go-to one? And how does one obtain a copy for non €70,- prices.

It was on a huge discount on the Singapore PSN store not long ago, so maybe keep an eye there and see if it goes again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Here's hoping it's going to be less crap than the current SD Gundam show.

Setting those expectations low, but it still might disappoint.

I watched the first episode and it seemed way less interesting than Brave Battle Warriors. Which is, drat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i finished victory

it's a weird show

but also i'm not sure why it has, or had, such a bad reputation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i finished victory

it's a weird show

but also i'm not sure why it has, or had, such a bad reputation

Did you maybe notice some weird ideas about women during the show?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

a common thread in most of the early uc gundam stuff, zeta being a standout too

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Build series was a flash in the pan with Build Fighters/GM's Counterattack, but I guess I'll give this new thing a whirl.

Midjack posted:

In his defense, that's pretty well strewn across all of Gundam.

In my defense, I haven't been able to push past the first five episodes of Victory yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

I'll pass. I'm done with Build, especially with something that follows something as mediocre as Build Divers. I gave it its fair chances after how good Build Fighters was, Try had genuinely great moments but overall sucked, and then Build Divers didn't even have that. This won't be better.

Sad, really. Lots of potential wasted. I would've loved to see more like the first series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Warmachine posted:

In his defense, that's pretty well strewn across all of Gundam.

In my defense, I haven't been able to push past the first five episodes of Victory yet.
You didn't even get to the Shrike Team or the Bikini Girl Death Squad or Usso biting that one woman's breast or the evil matriarchy or Katejina going absolutely batshit in the end.

Like Tomino clearly had some kind of issues here, because that makes Zeta's weirdness seem relatively tame.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll pass. I'm done with Build, especially with something that follows something as mediocre as Build Divers. I gave it its fair chances after how good Build Fighters was, Try had genuinely great moments but overall sucked, and then Build Divers didn't even have that. This won't be better.

Sad, really. Lots of potential wasted. I would've loved to see more like the first series.

It's really weird how nifty the battalogs were, but then the whole thing turned to trash.

At least the kits are fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot as the Core Gundam and its Planetary Packs suggest they've at least invested some effort into remembering it's a series about Gunpla and not Sarah The MMO Waifu. There's also just some neat Gunpla designs in general, with customs of things that haven't gotten kits before now, and it looks like most kits have accessory packs with standalone versions of their weapons or gimmicks this time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot as the Core Gundam and its Planetary Packs suggest they've at least invested some effort into remembering it's a series about Gunpla and not Sarah The MMO Waifu. There's also just some neat Gunpla designs in general, with customs of things that haven't gotten kits before now, and it looks like most kits have accessory packs with standalone versions of their weapons or gimmicks this time.

I'll buy the neat gunpla and then not watch the bad show

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'll buy the neat gunpla and then not watch the bad show

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

You didn't even get to the Shrike Team or the Bikini Girl Death Squad or Usso biting that one woman's breast or the evil matriarchy or Katejina going absolutely batshit in the end.

Like Tomino clearly had some kind of issues here, because that makes Zeta's weirdness seem relatively tame.

To be fair, the Queen is shown as good and her realm as taken over by evil men.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I watched the first episode and it seemed way less interesting than Brave Battle Warriors. Which is, drat

It gets even worse, if you can believe it. The tone is inconsistent, the fight scenes are bad, the gags are terrible, and it can't even keep enough focus to feel like there's a real main character.

Even in the things that should be dead easy, the show screws up. For example, in the latest episode, the series's version of Lu Bu shows up.

Now, everybody who knows anything about the three kingdoms recognizes that name. And if you know just one thing beyond that, it tends to be the line ""Among men, Lü Bu; Among steeds, the Red Hare", or "Do not pursue Lu Bu", or some other phrase saying that if Lu Bu is in a fight, it's probably going to be nasty, brutish, and short.

He loses his first fight in the anime, in the first episode where he appears. They try to act like it was a tough fight that needed strategy, but... not really. (Apparently, the manga has Lu Bu win a big battle first, but I'm not reading the manga, so I can't really comment.)

When you can't have Lu Bu come off as a threat, what are you even doing with your show?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just from the first episode Re Rise has a big leg up on Build Divers; all the characters have different personalities and, miracle of miracles, motivations. Like an actual story

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK, after two episodes it's clear that Re Rise is not setting off to make the same mistakes as Re Rise. The characters have different personalities and motivations, they are brought into the plot by happenstance instead of all the major characters just immediately declaring them great, the fantasy MMO setting is actually being used. The psychic ghost girl is kept to flashbacks which works way better than there just being a psychic ghost girl whose mysterious nature is never commented on by any character. The lead has some kind of mysterious backstory. All good stuff. Basic story stuff. Re Rise has the basic fundamentals of plot and character. Yay

But so far it's not very good. The characters have differing personalities, but none of them really bounce off each other in an entertaining way. Justice Knight desperately needs a straight man. The lead guy mostly silents stares into the distance instead of interacting with anyone. Hopefully that will change as the team gets to know each other.

The battles aren't memorable or interesting.

I'm really not sure what's going on with the plot. The idea of story missions with NPCs is good, but I'm wondering how much of the show's plot this is gonna be how it will tie into lead guy's tragic backstory, if at all.

I'm in it for the long haul, I will watch all of Re Rise. But I really hope it starts showing some kind of spark of something really soon instead of just being basically competent in the ways Build Divers wasn't

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Does anyone else smell surprise Isekai?

Because I smell a surprise Isekai twist on this "Story Mission".

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

A minute into the second episode of Re Rise and they’ve referenced the most important piece of 0079 lore so I’m all in.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I've been watching Gundam ZZ, and Judau within two minutes of meeting Mr. Wong dodging his "correction" punch, kneeing him in the stomach, and asking what the heck is wrong with him may be one of the single most satisfying things I've seen in Gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Re Rise sure is angling for that furry market.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Gundam: Reconguista in G: Go! Core Fighter will get it's first screening at an exhibition of Tomino's work in August

As much of a wet fart Reconguista turned out to be, the G Reco is probably my favorite Gundam design in a long long loving time.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
victory and ZZ are both shows that if you looked at purely the fandom’s general opinion you’d think they’d be really bad but like they’re pretty good shows with questionable aspects. like ZZ has bad comedy and a rough beginning, victory’s weird about maternity and had a MS team of all women made to power up uso but like they have incredibly good arcs in the shows themselves

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

a common thread in most of the early uc gundam stuff, zeta being a standout too

Reccoa is commonly cited as the main example of this, but she's probably one of the more interesting characters in Zeta in my opinion and the show never really seems to treat it's female cast much differently to it's male cast so I'm not really sure where the problem the show has with women is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tsob posted:

Reccoa is commonly cited as the main example of this, but she's probably one of the more interesting characters in Zeta in my opinion and the show never really seems to treat it's female cast much differently to it's male cast so I'm not really sure where the problem the show has with women is.

a bunch of women tragically die like jerid's gf and subordinates, four, rosamia (who isn't even her own character), sarah etc. like imo its equal to victory's shrike death parade for the most part, just spread over more of the show. fa is treated fairly badly and emma has a stupid as gently caress death after being an amazing character for most of the show.

for the most part i almost prefer how victory handles it because the shrike team disappears for large parts of the show, or they at least stop killing the few of them that show up. also they're barely characters so none of that emma poo poo. but at that point it's probably more a matter of personal taste between two situations that suck in different ways.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

a bunch of women tragically die like jerid's gf and subordinates, four, rosamia (who isn't even her own character), sarah etc. like imo its equal to victory's shrike death parade for the most part, just spread over more of the show. fa is treated fairly badly and emma has a stupid as gently caress death after being an amazing character for most of the show.

for the most part i almost prefer how victory handles it because the shrike team disappears for large parts of the show, or they at least stop killing the few of them that show up. also they're barely characters so none of that emma poo poo. but at that point it's probably more a matter of personal taste between two situations that suck in different ways.

A bunch of guys die stupid, often meaningless deaths too. I think that's more Tomino's "war is bad and people die for stupid, pointless reasons because of it" than a thing with women in general really. At least, in Zeta anyway. The Shrike team in Victory are less plausible in that light. Jerid himself dies a tragic death for a start, but also Roberto, Kakricon, Henken etc. The difference with the women is that a few of them are used to motivate the main characters in a fairly direct manner, but even that inst' exclusively confined to female characters, because you could say the same of Blex's death motivating Quattro for instance.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So, uh... Build divers re:RISE came out today? I guess? Edit: Lol, I can't read for poo poo in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfNXOrqU4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EME1F4NBpfw

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does anyone else smell surprise Isekai?

Because I smell a surprise Isekai twist on this "Story Mission".

Considering they call players "creators" i figure it's gonna be more like Sara was just the first one and now there's a whole secret world of computer people. Either way with them (presumably) being real people they'll avoid Divers' problem where they acted like "should we turn off this MMO or literally murder a person" was a legitimate moral dilemma.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

IMO, rather than just counting deaths, the more insidious sexism in zeta is how it keeps talking about how women need to control their emotions to be good soldiers but don't hold men to that standard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

IMO, rather than just counting deaths, the more insidious sexism in zeta is how it keeps talking about how women need to control their emotions to be good soldiers but don't hold men to that standard.

Except Kamile repeatedly gets the ever loving poo poo beaten out of him for not controlling his emotions, Char defends his sociopathic detachment as a necessary part of being a soldier, Amuro's commitment to his friends comes up as one of the few vulnerabilities in the ultimate pilot, Katz being emotional is a big part of why he's Katz, Jerid's emotional pursuit of vengeance ends in failure...

It's like bringing up that Kamille kills all of Jerid's love interests and actively ignoring that he and Jerid also killed all of each other's friends.

You can definitely argue that Zeta put more emphasis on women being unsuited for the emotional detachment needed to be "good soldiers" (something it seems to view as an inherently questionable pursuit, given that Amuro and Kamille are lionized for still caring about people despite their abilities as killers, while the guy most espousing detachment is Quattro, a rather morally ambiguous figure in many lights), but it does at least poke at the subject for the men in the cast too.

Zeta gets weird, but it's not Victory Gundam levels.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

Especially in a series like Zeta, where Kamille is...Kamille, this is absolutely bonkers

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

On top of Zeta just repeatedly hammering the same points with women to a point in ways I find unpleasant, my biggest issue with Reccoa's plotline is I'm still genuinely unsure if Scirroco has mind control powers or not, and it's bad in different ways for me each way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

On top of Zeta just repeatedly hammering the same points with women to a point in ways I find unpleasant, my biggest issue with Reccoa's plotline is I'm still genuinely unsure if Scirroco has mind control powers or not, and it's bad in different ways for me each way.

There's also some outright explicit, "She's struggling with being a woman" lines that seem to be waxing philosophical about the inherent role of women. It's one of Char's Quattro's lines in the first few episodes after he meets Emma. Combined with Scirroco, Reccoa's motivations for switching sides... there's a lot of :biotruths: in there.

edit: When this first came up, I wanted to say it was mostly a Tomino thing, but I remembered very quickly that G Gundam, a show that overall does a pretty good job with women (Chibodee's gang could have been cringe, but it ends up being mostly wholesome), goes "The Devil Gundam needs a woman as the biological CPU because only women can give life!" in the last three episodes.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah, I love Zeta but it has a lot of Woman Issues

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Slight :biotruths: aside, in the G Gundam example I feel like it's a lot better handled. Being in the Devil Gundam was shown earlier to totally Suck rear end, and the person in question is p much forced in at gunpoint and turned into a statue for it.

Oh generally, how do the other Gundams handle women btw?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

Slight :biotruths: aside, in the G Gundam example I feel like it's a lot better handled. Being in the Devil Gundam was shown earlier to totally Suck rear end, and the person in question is p much forced in at gunpoint and turned into a statue for it.

Oh generally, how do the other Gundams handle women btw?

It depends on the Gundam but the answer is 'usually badly.' The characters who come across the best are usually characters who are princesses/fall into similar roles and thus are allowed to have character and motivation. Unfortunately those same characters also tend to run into the problem of "they're not piloting robots and so the series gets increasingly bored with them." The mid-tier are cool female characters who have an unfortunate habit of getting killed or sidelined for dude's motivations. The bottom tier is Gundam AGE which is a horrifying travesty of murdering women unless they become personalityless baby factories for men.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gundam Wing has really good female characters. There's a variety of women with different opinions and philosophies, most of whom have stories outside their love interest. And Relena is one of the real driving forces of the show.

Same with G-Reco. Lots of female characters with a variety of personalities, not defined by love interests or being women. And Aina is one of the major driving forces of the show.

ImpAtom posted:

The bottom tier is Gundam AGE which is a horrifying travesty of murdering women unless they become personalityless baby factories for men.

It still blows my mind that AGE actually did set up an arc for one female character. Captain Einus in part three. She's introduced as unsure of herself, she only got the job because of her family connections, and she's thrown into this situation where she has to rise to the challenge and be a good captain. But then the show just immediately forgets about all that. It's beyond even failing to execute the obvious setup, she just stops being a character at all after her first couple episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I like that Wing just blesses its non-pilot characters with the same level of nonchalant spy fiction competence, like Sally dunks her plane into the water to avoid them getting a Gundam and gets arrested, then Noin divekicks into her window and sprays the room with machinegun fire. They both run and gun their way out and steal a truck and are hardly phased by it