Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Grittybeard posted:

Ken Zampese according to Bob Wylie (the hilarious ex-OL coach). It didn't come off as Hue loyalist stuff exactly to me but sour grapes since he got fired after the season too.

Like I said a while back the most damning thing about this theory is that Ken Zampese did something good.

O line was also better under Wylie

Ten-Hut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Browns should fire Kitchens, then and listen hear me out, hire Jeff Fisher

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the browns going between 7-9 and 9-7 every season would technically be an improvement

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, and look at the records of Jeff Fisher teams after he left. If anything Jeff is exactly the talent they need

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I wish the latest Madden games would let you hire Jeff Fisher :*(

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Players actually really seem to like Jeff Fisher a lot and he got a lot out of guys who sucked poo poo on other teams. His major issue is that he doesn't make good offensive coaching hires and his defenses are cheap shot artists.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Ken Zampese managed to get fired from the Bengals so it is hard to imagine he was the mastermind behind the Browns success last year.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

OneMoreTime posted:

I wish the latest Madden games would let you hire Jeff Fisher :*(

he just needs to lose one more game as a HC, someone bring him back

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I would like to see Pagano hired as HC in Washington.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would like to see Pagano hired as HC in Washington.

Hasn't the poor man suffered through enough cancerous situations?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maybe football is just a really high variance game, almost to the point of randomness, and believing you should shuffle coaches every season and a half is like thinking you should switch hands when rolling dice

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Matt Millen, the Browns and Dolphins heavily counter that argument.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe football is just a really high variance game, almost to the point of randomness, and believing you should shuffle coaches every season and a half is like thinking you should switch hands when rolling dice

Hizawk posted:

yeah the important way to look at it is that you shuffle your coaches and office to avoid incompetence instead of trying to find a gem

there are very, very few gems and relying on getting one is a great way to Raiders your way into... well, the Al Davis and son era

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bring Tony Dungy out of retirement for Washington.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Got a hot and spicy update coming after tonight's game

Speaking of hot and spicy ... Dan Quinn, huh?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Benne posted:

Got a hot and spicy update coming after tonight's game

Speaking of hot and spicy ... Dan Quinn, huh?

Arthur Blank is claiming he's "disappointed" but isn't thinking of firing Dan Quinn.

Translation: we don't want to fire a coach in the middle of the season but he's done. He took over the defense personally after firing some people and effectively casting the blame on them, then the defense got even worse culminating in that ABSURD game against the Texans. That's the kind of loving you don't come back from

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The owner having to give the Dreaded Vote Of Confidence in the first week of October is generally not a good sign!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Has Arthur Blank ever fired a coach midseason? (Petrino quit.) If no, I bet he lets Quinn coach the rest of the season and fires him first thing on Black Monday.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LabyaMynora posted:

Has Arthur Blank ever fired a coach midseason?

Dan Reeves in 2003 after game 13.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ulmont posted:

Dan Reeves in 2003 after game 13.

Whelp! That's probably around when he'll fire Dan Quinn, then.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hizawk posted:

I’d say the browns and dolphins churning through coaches constantly and still being trash is a pretty good case that churning through coaches doesn’t help

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

I’d say the browns and dolphins churning through coaches constantly and still being trash is a pretty good case that churning through coaches doesn’t help

Who are some coaches who got fired after one or two seasons and went on to be good?

Plenty as position coaches and probably coordinators for a certain definition of good, but off the top of my head I can't remember anyone who started like that and went on to be awesome. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Who are some coaches who got fired after one or two seasons and went on to be good?

Plenty as position coaches and probably coordinators for a certain definition of good, but off the top of my head I can't remember anyone who started like that and went on to be awesome. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Pete Carroll got fired after a season with the Jets and I believe only lasted 2 with the Pats

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

Pete Carroll got fired after a season with the Jets and I believe only lasted 2 with the Pats

That's a good one, I'd completely forgotten he had a year with the Jets even before the Pats. 3 years with the Pats and interestingly he was never actually bad. Trending downwards I guess, but 10-6, 9-7, 8-8 there.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The thing I'm learning about a lot of football teams is they keep a lot of scouts, front office people and coaches around even when they make changes.

For example, the current OC of the Vikings, Kevin Stefanski, joined the team as Assistant to the Head Coach in 2006. That would have been Brad Childress. He's stayed with the Viking this entire time, through Childress's time, through Leslie Frazier's time, and now under Mike Zimmer.

To me, that's insane. When a team fires the GM and Head Coach at the same time, they say it's "cleaning house." But it's not if you're keeping all these guys below them around.

So look at teams that traditionally don't draft well... say the Bears and their difficulty drafting quarterbacks and wide receivers historically. Is it because every GM they hire sucks? Or is it because they've been using the same scouts for decades, and even though those scouts can evaluate defensive players very well, they can't evaluate QBs and WRs for poo poo?

I don't know the answer. Like I said, this is something I just found out recently. But it seems like when you have a team that's chronically bad, or always seems to draft certain positions poorly no matter who is in charge, I wonder if this institutionalism is the root of the problem. :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LabyaMynora posted:

The thing I'm learning about a lot of football teams is they keep a lot of scouts, front office people and coaches around even when they make changes.

For example, the current OC of the Vikings, Kevin Stefanski, joined the team as Assistant to the Head Coach in 2006. That would have been Brad Childress. He's stayed with the Viking this entire time, through Childress's time, through Leslie Frazier's time, and now under Mike Zimmer.

To me, that's insane. When a team fires the GM and Head Coach at the same time, they say it's "cleaning house." But it's not if you're keeping all these guys below them around.

So look at teams that traditionally don't draft well... say the Bears and their difficulty drafting quarterbacks and wide receivers historically. Is it because every GM they hire sucks? Or is it because they've been using the same scouts for decades, and even though those scouts can evaluate defensive players very well, they can't evaluate QBs and WRs for poo poo?

I don't know the answer. Like I said, this is something I just found out recently. But it seems like when you have a team that's chronically bad, or always seems to draft certain positions poorly no matter who is in charge, I wonder if this institutionalism is the root of the problem. :shrug:

Conversely you have guys like Dante Scarnecchia who are eternal assistants for the same team who own.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is the information bad, or are the decisions made with the information bad? There are a ton of other sources out there to confirm or deny the quality odd the info your scouts are giving you.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah but you look through their history in the last 20 years and it's mostly guys who sucked and never did anything anywhere afterwards. Making bad hires is a valid criticism, but I don't see guys in their history they should have stuck with.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah but you look through their history in the last 20 years and it's mostly guys who sucked and never did anything anywhere afterwards. Making bad hires is a valid criticism, but I don't see guys in their history they should have stuck with.

Chudzinski maybe one more year.

Shurmur might be an outlier

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 6 RANKINGS

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Pat Shurmur, New York Giants
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

Not much change in this part of the ranking, but I'll start side-eyeing Lynn if the Chargers keep underperforming. For a team that went 12-4 and returned much of the same roster, they look shockingly disoriented, even with all of the key injuries. Maybe Lynn can get away with playing the injury card, but there's no doubt he needs to deliver in the twilight of Philip Rivers' prime.

Meanwhile, Tomlin is already on his third QB so he's got all the mulligans he wants. It's a total writeoff year in Pittsburgh, and that's probably fair for everyone. Your grade is incomplete, see me again in 2020.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

We're seeing enough of a sample size to judge the first-year class, and the resounding verdict is meh. Most of their resumes have mitigating circumstances, ranging from "they're winning so we'll overlook the flaws" (LaFleur, Arians) to "welp they got nothing to work with" (Flores, Taylor) to "I liked watching his offense in college so we gotta give him time" (Kingsbury). You might notice a couple of names I left off, however ...

MILD

Adam Gase, New York Jets -- If some coaches use a QB injury as an excuse for losing, Gase will just wield it as a cudgel to keep his job security. Not many teams will recover from losing their franchise QB -- we just saw it with the Steelers -- but the Jets have been absolutely putrid without Sam Darnold, and Gase has shown next-to-no effort into putting his team in the best position to compete. Not even win a game, which few people expect -- just show some fight, prove that you're the right guy for the job. Instead, we're just seeing the exact same red flags that got Gase run out of Miami on a rail. He has no answers, no motivation, no inspiration. I only have him in Mild in case Darnold's return sparks the offense and saves his sorry rear end.

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns -- Speaking of coaches who don't inspire, Kitchens has all the energy of a substitute teacher who gives up on the class halfway through and just puts on a movie while he goes out in his car to smoke a joint. Maybe we were all premature in coronating Baker Mayfield last year, but his regression is legitimately worrying, and the team in general just doesn't look ready for primetime -- or any time, for that matter. By all rights they should be contenders in a down year for the AFC North, but if they keep dragging their feet, I don't know how much time Kitchens really deserves.

Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- Is there any reason to hand the starting job back to Nick Foles, other than his cap number? Even when you strip away the memes, Gardner Minshew is playing legit good football and keeping the Jags competitive. Marrone could have a career-defining decision to make whenever Foles gets healthy.

MODERATE

Still no moderates? Am I getting soft in my older age? Let's get some more coaches on losing streaks before we populate this list again. I'm antsy.

SPICY HOT

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- We talked about this in the thread earlier, but Arthur Blank already had to give the Dreaded Vote of Confidence, and that's never a good sign this early in the season. It's especially bad when Quinn pulled out all the classic job-saving tactics: firing his coordinators, bringing back a "respected name" to call the offense, and running the defense himself as a supposed defensive guru. Problem is, his defense is still terrible, Dirk Koetter looks out of ideas just like he did in Tampa, and a team that should be playoff-caliber on paper is basically out of the race before Halloween. Blank and his PR team will keep saying all the right things, but make no mistake. Barring a stunning turnaround, Quinn will be cleaning out his office first thing on Black Monday.

YOU'RE FIRED

Jay Gruden, Washington (interim coach: Bill Callahan) -- I'll just echo what Drew Magary said on this week's Jamboroo -- Gruden's firing felt weirdly anticlimactic by Washington standards. We all knew it was coming, and he admitted as much when the Pats predictably spanked him. Even the bizarre, suspicious timing of the year-old leaked videos didn't seem to play a factor. Either way, Gruden is the first domino to fall this season and that's worth noting. Now Washington will move forward with Callahan, which is a terrible choice as an interim coach when Jim Tomsula is standing right there. You can safely ignore this team like you always have. Pour one out for Dwayne Haskins.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 11, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Conversely you have guys like Dante Scarnecchia who are eternal assistants for the same team who own.

scarnecchia should be put in the hall of fame imo

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Grittybeard posted:

Did Belichick last more than a year in Cleveland?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

shirts and skins posted:

Did Belichick last more than a year in Cleveland?

He was coach there for five years, 91 to 95. FWIW, they took the first few years to rebuild, made the playoffs once (In 94, ironically beating Parcells’ Patriots) then were underperforming the next year when the move was announced and utterly fell apart, and Belichick was fired when everyone else went to Baltimore.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://youtu.be/l2onETkzzEM

Brett Kollman bringing the tape to show why Dan Quinn is gonna get fired unless he gets much better really quickly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DeimosRising posted:

which came first, the chicken or the egg

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Play posted:

which sucks worst, the kitchens or the gregg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what a silly riddle

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE