Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This game isn't political the same way being an anarchist "isn't political."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I watched the first hour of the Cohh stream before I decided that I would avoid further spoilers, and I'm pretty sure this game doesn't exist and is actually the result of some sort of fever dream I'm having on my deathbed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

This game isn't political the same way being an anarchist "isn't political."

lol who's saying this game isn't political

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I am ha ha. The game isn't political because the world isn't on earth ha ha ha. My dialectic shall foil you all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

That whole spiel was a p.good mix of OTT ridiculous and barely-veiled RL allusions:

I saw some screens from this but didn't realize his name is literally Measurehead lmao . It's edgy and it's gonna make some people uncomfortable but it's the good kind of edgy and it's loving wild to see it in a video game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm going to be extremely mad if this game doesn't own.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
+Based on their playing of the game, Pcgamer is predicting Disco Elysium to be GOTY 2019.
+CohhCarnage was full of praise for the game after playing it. Same for other streamers apparently.
+Every source indicates this is going to be a great rpg.
+The writing has been likened to a good book.

-Some people are just not going to like how much there is to read, even though the writing is excellent and the characters are partly voiced. Some people don't like good books either. Don't be like some people.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm probably going to go hoarse over the next few months reading out every drat bit of dialogue in this game to my dyslexic wife as we play this game together.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Impermanent posted:

I'm probably going to go hoarse over the next few months reading out every drat bit of dialogue in this game to my dyslexic wife as we play this game together.

CohhCarnage had that hoarseness issue too, he said the game would benefit from integrating some text-to-speech functionality from Google or such. Not the most streamable of games because of all the reading, but I am looking forward to playing it myself more than watching others play anyways.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'll do a VLP playing as an idiot who barely pays attention to what people are telling him.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Can't wait to make *The Expression* while playing this game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man i really went from 0-100 on this game in the past few days. From the 0 of not knowing that it existed to the 100 of being hype as hell.

I think what grabbed me was that fact that high attributes also have a negative effect. That poo poo cray

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
(Dyslexic people are not what I meant by the way, but people who choose to ignore reading books altogether for other reasons.)

I looked into some text-to-speech apps but I doubt they are adequate for this purpose without some further work from the developers, and ZA/UM are a small studio so I find it unlikely they would go to such lengths to help people get fully voiced text. A buddy system of playing together would seem best, and a good experience to share. If only my wife appreciated rpgs too. :sigh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxmb2jRpZ4u/?igshid=lmf36zvymwvn

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I need to know where to get that shirt in-game. So I can beeline to it. And wear it WITH the Truly Horrific Tie.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019

SlightlyMad posted:

(Dyslexic people are not what I meant by the way, but people who choose to ignore reading books altogether for other reasons.)

I looked into some text-to-speech apps but I doubt they are adequate for this purpose without some further work from the developers, and ZA/UM are a small studio so I find it unlikely they would go to such lengths to help people get fully voiced text. A buddy system of playing together would seem best, and a good experience to share. If only my wife appreciated rpgs too. :sigh:

I was surprised to find that this game, my wife is as excited over as I am.

But I'll bet we mostly play the game separately. It's so focused on inner conflicts and inner dialogue, I think it would be jarring to play it cooperatively. But we will see.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think what grabbed me was that fact that high attributes also have a negative effect. That poo poo cray
I love how transparently, obviously bad some of the advice skills give you is, and yet how tempting at the same time 'cause you just know something hilarious will happen if you do listen. Some of the failed checks benefit you long-term too - in one of the streams the protag failed at attempting to be cool and witty so many times that the NPC started downright pitying him for being such miserable failure, which made them more inclined to help the protag's sad rear end and gave subsequent check a positive bonus. Such a far cry from "Max persuasion, click button to win".

And the way you get to see giant dice light up with "failure", then have to click continue before seeing the result is a perfect little pause to reflect on your decisions and steel yourself for the inevitable cringe that follows. "The words have already left your mouth..." indeed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Such a far cry from "Max persuasion, click button to win".

And the way you get to see giant dice light up with "failure", then have to click continue before seeing the result is a perfect little pause to reflect on your decisions and steel yourself for the inevitable cringe that follows. "The words have already left your mouth..." indeed.

I'm a chronic min-maxer. It'll be liberating to play a RPG where you can grow by failing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm a chronic min-maxer. It'll be liberating to play a RPG where you can grow by failing.

But now you MUST try every iteration to see whether success or failure is more beneficial.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Pwnstar posted:

This game as about being a cop in the 1970s. Kinda.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I'm pretty sure this game doesn't exist and is actually the result of some sort of fever dream I'm having on my deathbed.
So it's a Life on Mars kind of game, got it.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
A few live streams are currently going on twitch if anyone wants to check them out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hogama posted:

https://zaumstudio.com/2019/10/08/welcome-to-revachol/

Devblog about the game's primary setting. Maybe more spoilery than prior devblogs.

I've been vaguely aware of this game for a few months now, but today something sparked me to take a closer look. This devblog entry was the first thing I came across, and it had me loving SOLD as far as writing goes. Then I went to read up on how the character system works and now I'm insanely loving hyped for this game.

Currently busy being torn in two by my desire to see more but also to avoid spoilers.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Nordick posted:

I've been vaguely aware of this game for a few months now, but today something sparked me to take a closer look. This devblog entry was the first thing I came across, and it had me loving SOLD as far as writing goes. Then I went to read up on how the character system works and now I'm insanely loving hyped for this game.

Currently busy being torn in two by my desire to see more but also to avoid spoilers.

I've seen the first hour or so like, four times with different streamers now to staunch my hunger for this game.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Exercu posted:

I've seen the first hour or so like, four times with different streamers now to staunch my hunger for this game.

I have seen the same conversion played out completely different by different casters and all of them felt completely natural, like there is no other way to approach it.

15th can't come fast enough.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

big fuckin same

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
40bux on release is usually too steep for me but I'm pretty stoked.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

i was just watching yet another streamer during the first hour and noticed that some dialog had added details because they had come up before. minor spoilers: The streamer interrogated the woman outside your room, something i hadnt seen anyone else do, and in that conversation the names of some bands you had been drunkenly singing to the previous night came up. then downstairs when inland empire is telling you about how you should sing karaoke and that it should be sad, the dialog choices included the names of the bands as examples of sad or happy music. in other streams without that initial interrogation, the options for that conversation with inland empire were just vague about being sad or happy.

that kinda thing goes a long way to making it all feel natural, as a previous poster had mentioned.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

drat this is only $40? I thought this was going to be a $60 game for sure with the amount of content reportedly in it

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Kyle Hyde posted:

that kinda thing goes a long way to making it all feel natural, as a previous poster had mentioned.
Yeah, so much this. The other detail that makes it all feel natural is how it takes into account the tone and attitude of your previous conversations with NPCs. Like, when talking to Garte you can ask him, "But what *is* money?", and in some streams he goes, "What are you, a philosopher?" and in others, "What are you, brain-damaged?" and I'm p. sure the difference here depends on how much of a jerk you were/weren't when talking to him in the first convo.

As much as I dislike the "streamers get games way before they come out" thing, this is the game that really benefits from multiple streams to show off all the little permutations and sequence-breaking (not that there is a default sequence to begin with) you can do.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

i said it before, and ill say it again. the design documents for this game, nevermind the actual text files, must be an eldritch nightmare.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Comparisons to Alpha Protocol seem rather apt as you're definitely not getting the full effect without multiple playthroughs to see the reactive changes to choosing different sequential approaches and dialogue options, only compounded here because it's at an even more granular level. I mean, I assume the main storyline is always going to follow mostly the same trajectory regardless of how well you investigate, but your Thinker Superstar Cop is going to feel like a different story from your Sensitive Cop of the Apocalypse, and both are going to be different from your Physical Hobocop's game, and all of those have plenty of possible permutations depending on where you side with the different factions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hogama posted:

Comparisons to Alpha Protocol seem rather apt as you're definitely not getting the full effect without multiple playthroughs to see the reactive changes to choosing different sequential approaches and dialogue options, only compounded here because it's at an even more granular level. I mean, I assume the main storyline is always going to follow mostly the same trajectory regardless of how well you investigate, but your Thinker Superstar Cop is going to feel like a different story from your Sensitive Cop of the Apocalypse, and both are going to be different from your Physical Hobocop's game, and all of those have plenty of possible permutations depending on where you side with the different factions.

alpha protocol was 15 hours or so. this can apparently clock in at 90

i don't think many people are going to be able to mine every permutation of events by themselves, it'll instead be a lot of water-cooler talk about how everyone's different runs went

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

alpha protocol was 15 hours or so. this can apparently clock in at 90

i don't think many people are going to be able to mine every permutation of events by themselves, it'll instead be a lot of water-cooler talk about how everyone's different runs went
Oh, for sure, but even a second playthrough of your own sounds like it'll be a markedly different experience unless you deliberately take all the same steps in the same order.
(But perhaps with a break in-between, 180 hours sounds like a hefty commitment all at once.)

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hogama posted:

I mean, I assume the main storyline is always going to follow mostly the same trajectory regardless of how well you investigate,
You can fail to solve the case and there are multiple endings.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If this game is like one tenth more reactive than Alpha Protocol it will still be insane. I remember in AP you learn from a file that one character you interact with is insanely professional, and respects that trait in others. So you can go in there and be a suave rear end in a top hat to get under his skin. Except that it doesn't work because he's read your file, and knows you're doing it purely as a strategy. You actually have to be that rear end in a top hat all the time for it to work.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another thing Alpha Protocol does well is that it doesn't make you just be buddies with all the NPCs. Pissing people off and doing missions "wrong" (i.e. differently from what people are telling you) will reward you just the same, just with different perks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

You can fail to solve the case and there are multiple endings.
That doesn't preclude the broad "main acts" from progressing in roughly the same sequence for most of the game. At this stage I'm feeling that totally failing the case will be more of a late-game thing with ending implications and not "oh well, guess you couldn't solve the case day 1, here's completely different 60-hour-long B and C-path scenarios for the rest of the game," not least of the reasons being that your partner seems to be there to prod you towards at least seeing the whole thing through, whether you're successful or not. (Though the possibility for at least some extensive side-quest paths to lead to endings of their own shouldn't be ruled out, and/or just running out of time while not actually trying to move the main investigation along) Or to put it another way, existing open world RPGs still generally have a set track for the Story Quest and lots of fluff and side-content to get lost in otherwise. It's already a lot of developmental time and assets to do one "big" story with a lot of variant outcomes.

(If I'm wrong, I'll be gladly wrong.)

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Disappointed this game isn't fully in Zaum

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

From the promotional stuff they've done we know there's something weird going on in Revachol, and it's why the Shivers skill exists - you can feel the weird. The other skills only talk to you because of the years of alcohol and amphetamine abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wiegieman posted:

From the promotional stuff they've done we know there's something weird going on in Revachol, and it's why the Shivers skill exists - you can feel the weird. The other skills only talk to you because of the years of alcohol and amphetamine abuse.

I mean, if you actually read the (reasonably spoilery) setting blog update they put out recently it makes it uh, rather obvious there's some WEIRD poo poo going on.